Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    In the show you are either a beta male(as in completely subdued and agreeing with everything every women does)
    Oh come on, there isn't ONE character like that.

This is typical misogynist hyperbole - anyone who doesn't conform to their image of a "real" man is a "subdued beta male". Even the most "allied" male characters like Pug or Jen's dad aren't like your described "beta males", nor are characters like Wong or Blonsky or Matt or Bruce or Luke Jacobson or...

Critique is fine, but blatant bullshit generalizations aren't critique. They're just dumb.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Its funny because its actally quite the opposite. In the show you are either a beta male(as in completely subdued and agreeing with everything every women does) or they are absolutely toxic like the idiotic portrayal of the womanizer who suddenly for no reason also had a gay relationship in the middle of it all.

There isnt a healthy portrayal of a man in the show - and by far most of the men are completely moronic.
    Bruce looks out for his cousin and wants to do every thing to help her.

Crusher realizes that it was wrong to work for the anti she hulk group and joins Emil’s therapy retreat to better him self, he then stands up and pushes for Jen to work through her own issues.

Wong helps out Emil and is willingly to put up with Madison even though she clearly annoys him.

Matt beats Jen in court and try’s to lead her while super humanig

The fashion designer stands up to Jen constantly won’t give up his client list and is willing to put down his pride and work for Jen after she saves him.

Jens dad is just a perfect supportive father.

All of these are positive portrayal of men none of them are beta males or agree with every thing a woman says.

Hell there might be more positive portrayal of men then there are of woman unless you count all the girls in the first episode that help Jen after her transformation.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2022-10-20 at 03:43 PM.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Oh come on, there isn't ONE character like that.

This is typical misogynist hyperbole - anyone who doesn't conform to their image of a "real" man is a "subdued beta male". Even the most "allied" male characters like Pug or Jen's dad aren't like your described "beta males", nor are characters like Wong or Blonsky or Matt or Bruce or Luke Jacobson or...

Critique is fine, but blatant bullshit generalizations aren't critique. They're just dumb.
    Its literally what bruce has become.

I love it when people just instantly jump on the right wing fotm expressions.

Its literally just an i win card for me because it just shows you arent smarter then that

You guys throw these expressions that you clearly have literally no clue what means around and then the second someone mentions you being woke its all:

"WOKE IS DEROGATORY - YOU SO MEAN - WHY U SO MEAN HUH? NAZI?"

ROFL

Its literally what bruce has become.
    How about you PROVE that claim, rather than just stating it.

You're very eager to come out and make accusations or claims - not so great on providing substantiation.

Instead of whining about how unfair it is that people call you out on ridiculous claims, spend that time providing evidence that backs your position.

Then you can "ROFL" all you want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its funny because its actally quite the opposite. In the show you are either a beta male(as in completely subdued and agreeing with everything every women does)
    There's no such thing as a "beta male". The whole "alpha/beta" thing was made up by toxic insecure dorks who read one paper on wolf behaviour, got it all wrong (and the paper got the rest wrong, and has been retracted and the author's admitted error). It's literally not an actual descriptor of human behaviour, and anyone using it as such doesn't have an argument worth hearing.

The alpha/beta bullshit is literally an expression of toxic masculinity, and has no bearing on real life.

or they are absolutely toxic like the idiotic portrayal of the womanizer who suddenly for no reason also had a gay relationship in the middle of it all.
    I'm drawing a blank as to what character you even mean, here. As far as I know the only confirmed LGBTQ character in the show is Nikki, She-hulk's paralegal and best friend.

Also, bisexuality isn't "toxic" so even if I'm forgetting a character that wouldn't even be "toxic" or inconsistent.

There isnt a healthy portrayal of a man in the show - and by far most of the men are completely moronic.
    Neither of those claims are true. Pug, Jen's dad, Matt Murdock, Bruce, Blonsky, Holloway, all major male characters seen in multiple episodes who are neither presented as idiots in any way whatsoever, nor are their characterizations "toxic" in any way.
    Last edited by Endus; 2022-10-20 at 03:55 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I'm drawing a blank as to what character you even mean, here. As far as I know the only confirmed LGBTQ character in the show is Nikki, She-hulk's paralegal and best friend.

Also, bisexuality isn't "toxic" so even if I'm forgetting a character that wouldn't even be "toxic" or inconsistent.
    He’s taking about the last episode I think, the hate group, some of the stuff they say give a vague impression of them being closeted gays.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2022-10-20 at 04:00 PM.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Neither of those claims are true. Pug, Jen's dad, Matt Murdock, Bruce, Blonsky, Holloway, all major male characters seen in multiple episodes who are neither presented as idiots in any way whatsoever, nor are their characterizations "toxic" in any way.
    It's really a question of perspective, isn't it? If you either consider yourself or aspire to be a so-called 'Alpha male', I can see how you don't perceive any of the men in the show as 'healthy', because you consider kindness, modesty and understanding as weakness, and they threaten what you consider to be 'peak male behaviour'. From these peoples point of view, the guys in the show can be considered toxic. It's a primitive and moronic perspective, of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    He’s taking about the last episode with the hate group, some of the stuff they say give a vague impression of them being closeted gays.
    That's true of all "alpha male" "MGTOW" types, though. They're so completely obsessed with masculinity that there's a distinct undercurrent of repressed homosexuality. See also how so many of their favorite films, like Fight Club (which they interpret incorrectly, hilariously) or 300, anything that lets them see a bunch of sweaty shirtless dudes while giving them JUST enough deniability on that front.

I repeat; bisexuality and homosexuality aren't "toxic". Repressing that due to internalized homophobia is what's toxic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    It's really a question of perspective, isn't it? If you either consider yourself or aspire to be a so-called 'Alpha male', I can see how you don't perceive any of the men in the show as 'healthy', because you consider kindness, modesty and understanding as weakness, and they threaten what you consider to be 'peak male behaviour'. From these peoples point of view, the guys in the show can be considered toxic. It's a primitive and moronic perspective, of course.
    Imagine being so incredibly insecure about your own masculinity that you can't be a decent person any more because that's "weak". If they weren't abusive ding dongs about it, I'd be sad for them.

Imagine being so incredibly insecure about your own masculinity that you can't be a decent person any more because that's "weak". If they weren't abusive ding dongs about it, I'd be sad for them.
    Well, I can see how a lack of success can lead to frustration on their part. That's no excuse, of course.

pretty fun overview of first half of the show from a legal perspective.

and before usual suspects start commenting, this is NOT posted to hate on the show and Devin specifically reviewed it ONLY as far as legal realism goes not any other merits. its just IMO interesting perspective and explanation how things would be done in RL.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    pretty fun overview of first half of the show from a legal perspective.

and before usual suspects start commenting, this is NOT posted to hate on the show and Devin specifically reviewed it ONLY as far as legal realism goes not any other merits. its just IMO interesting perspective and explanation how things would be done in RL.
    I enjoy his videos. and yeah, not really surprising that it's not legally realistic, no law/legal show on tv is legally realistic

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    I enjoy his videos. and yeah, not really surprising that it's not legally realistic, no law/legal show on tv is legally realistic
    Legal Eagle has some really great and insightful videos.

...but the TV show legal critique ones are just clickbaity throwaway entertainment. Which is fine. Sometimes you're in for just a bit of silly fun.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account

...but the TV show legal critique ones are just clickbaity throwaway entertainment. Which is fine. Sometimes you're in for just a bit of silly fun.
    oh yeah most of his videos deal with serious issues. Gotta have a bit more silly one to balance it out

The great thing about it is, regardless of whatever extra income his videos generate (I don't know how profitable they are...but he does get sponsors), he's doing great PR for himself. So while he is building his brand as an entertainer...he's also building his brand as an actual lawyer.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

clickbait entertainment and all, there are still genuine knowledge nuggets in there, so

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    The great thing about it is, regardless of whatever extra income his videos generate (I don't know how profitable they are...but he does get sponsors), he's doing great PR for himself. So while he is building his brand as an entertainer...he's also building his brand as an actual lawyer.
    A successful YouTuber can reasonably expect to get $3-7 per 1000 video views.

Consider a clickbaiter with usually dumb takes: The Critical Drinker. He made a 7 minute video discussing a 2 minute trailer (in this case She-Hulk). It has over 2 million views which means he got $10000 for his low effort ranting.

There's no such thing as a "beta male". The whole "alpha/beta" thing was made up by toxic insecure dorks who read one paper on wolf behaviour, got it all wrong (and the paper got the rest wrong, and has been retracted and the author's admitted error). It's literally not an actual descriptor of human behaviour, and anyone using it as such doesn't have an argument worth hearing.

The alpha/beta bullshit is literally an expression of toxic masculinity, and has no bearing on real life.
    Well, you are just wrong on this. Man or woman, there are those that lead and those that follow. There are winners and there are losers.
    Superman is the alpha male. Would you say he represents toxic masculinity?

There has been a push lately to promote strong female leads, for example the upcoming "The woman king" i would say is about alpha females. Is that movie an expression of toxic femininity?

Lets take Black Panther.. Wakanda, in modern times, still chose their King and leader by traditional combat. The winner aka the alpa male, got to be the leader of the tribe.
    Is T'Challa an expression of toxic masculinity? Will Shuri be an expression of toxic femininity as she takes the mantle of Black Panther in the upcoming movie?

Sure, these are work of fiction but has drawn inspiration from reality.

I would say there are nuances to the "alpha/beta" thing, which you obviously do not see. Is it because it directly counters your socalist worldview?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    A successful YouTuber can reasonably expect to get $3-7 per 1000 video views.

Consider a clickbaiter with usually dumb takes: The Critical Drinker. He made a 7 minute video discussing a 2 minute trailer (in this case She-Hulk). It has over 2 million views which means he got $10000 for his low effort ranting.
    Imagine calling the drinkers takes dumb Would love to hear a youtuber you consider to be good.
    Last edited by frn1; 2022-10-24 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by frn1 View Post
    Superman is the alpha male.
    Are you sure about that? Superman acts nothing like the stereotypical alpha male. He's compassionate, patient, and willing to sacrifice for others. Not the domineering shitbag people who believe in this garbage aspire to be. Superman is probably the embodiment of many positive traits of masculinity. Being powerful doesn't equate to toxicity. It's how that power is (expected to be) used.

There has been a push lately to promote strong female leads, for example the upcoming "The woman king" i would say is about alpha females. Is that movie an expression of toxic femininity?
    Swapping a feminine character into a traditionally masculine role with literally no other difference doesn't suddenly make it "toxic femininity." That's a term that would describe the harmful effects of the expectations placed on women.

Lets take Black Panther.. Wakanda, in modern times, still chose their King and leader by traditional combat. The winner aka the alpa male, got to be the leader of the tribe.
    Is T'Challa an expression of toxic masculinity?
    "My rule and worth as a leader is determined by how effectively I can kick someone's ass?" Yes, that aspect of the character and/or his society could be described that way.

I would say there are nuances to the "alpha/beta" thing, which you obviously do not see. Is it because it directly counters your socalist worldview?
    Oh, I see. You're not a serious person. I guess I've wasted my time.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Are you sure about that? Superman acts nothing like the stereotypical alpha male. He's compassionate, patient, and willing to sacrifice for others. Not the domineering shitbag people who believe in this garbage aspire to be. Superman is probably the embodiment of many positive traits of masculinity. Being powerful doesn't equate to toxicity. It's how that power is (expected to be) used.

Swapping a feminine character into a traditionally masculine role with literally no other difference doesn't suddenly make it "toxic femininity." That's a term that would describe the harmful effects of the expectations placed on women.

"My rule and worth as a leader is determined by how effectively I can kick someone's ass?" Yes, that aspect of the character and/or his society could be described that way.

Oh, I see. You're not a serious person. I guess I've wasted my time.
    Maybe that is because you do not have the same definition of alpha male than the one you are quoting.

Imagine calling the drinkers takes dumb Would love to hear a youtuber you consider to be good.
    To be fair, he might not be dumb. He's just making low grade bait because he knows dumbfucks will lap it up. I guess there are worse ways to make $750K a year.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be too shocked if he ended up in a Russian hospital to take care of his benzodiazepine addiction.

As for actually good youtubers: