Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

I think there are too many talent points

Having 30 or 31 points per tree is way too much and leads to cookie cutter specs. And why isn't there a racial talent tree? 61 points split between three trees would work better.

15+ Year Old Account
    Feelscraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    Having 30 or 31 points per tree is way too much and leads to cookie cutter specs
    Let's look at the options:

1. The last 4 expansions have had 5-7 talent points to assign, forcing you into cookie cutter specs
    2. Dragonflight has 61 talent points to assign, giving you the OPTION of cookie cutter specs.

Therefore if you are concerned about cookie cutter specs, then option 2 (Dragonflight) is BY DEFINITION the better option.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

I played a bit with the talent calculator and I didn't have to make any compromises whatsoever. I could get everything I wanted and have points left over. Not very interesting.

15+ Year Old Account
    I played a bit with the talent calculator and I didn't have to make any compromises whatsoever. I could get everything I wanted and have points left over. Not very interesting.
    Yeah right.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

don't worry will will pick exactly the same talents as everyone and don't look at it until the next patch or switch of meta

7+ Year Old Account
    Which specs were these? Link your builds, pls.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Don't ruin a good thing

I mean, it's going to be cookie cutter no matter what.
    There is no way for me to tell if the "2m BAM cd" or the passive "get 15% more ressources" choice are better. So the only way to make a reasonable choice here is following some guide who says (and usually can explain) why the choice is better for what. So when the patch comes I will go to some site, and mimic what's going to be the best m+ spec for the next 4 weeks is, then I will look up what the best leveling spec is (or "find" it by myself, there's no real min maxing while leveling), and when I'm max level I will look up what the best m+ spec is once again.

I assume there will be some actual choices left (for example different trees for tyrannical or fortified) so it's not as set in stone as now, but generally people will just follow some guide.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Let's look at the options:

1. The last 4 expansions have had 5-7 talent points to assign, forcing you into cookie cutter specs
    2. Dragonflight has 61 talent points to assign, giving you the OPTION of cookie cutter specs.

Therefore if you are concerned about cookie cutter specs, then option 2 (Dragonflight) is BY DEFINITION the better option.
    Never used a cookie cutter spec before or after the removal of talent trees. I know many just want to be told how to play and will gravitate to what they are told is the best. I just play how I want.

I have tested a few classes and here is my opinion on them:
    SP- 2 completely different single target builds, and one aoe
    Enh shaman- 2 completely different single target builds, one single target+minor aoe, and one full aoe
    Furry- 2 different single target builds, and an aoe
    Protection paladin- extremely divers imo, you have access to so many good talents and builds for each situation
    Uh&frost dk- not so many meaningful options imo and there is only one good build for single target and one for aoe.
    Vengeance dh- tested shortly, really strong and meaningful and diverse choices

Depend on your play-style and your taste many of these builds are close, IE the shadow priest builds are quite close. performance wise, in real encounters there might be negligible differences between them.
    Last edited by azshanna; 2022-10-23 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    Never used a cookie cutter spec before or after the removal of talent trees.
    Of course you did - there wasn't an option, the cutting was built into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    I just play how I want.
    And finally you get to do that.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Firstly, OP is asking for something to have less options to avoid being “cookie cutter”, which of course will make it more “cookie cutter”.
    And secondly, the notion of a ‘racial talent tree’ sounds like something straight out of eugenics.

Quote Originally Posted by Villager720 View Post
    And secondly, the notion of a ‘racial talent tree’ sounds like something straight out of eugenics.
    There already are racial traits so why not expand them into a full talent tree.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Which specs were these? Link your builds, pls.
    Shadow priest. Although I admit that after MoP I still don't really know how that class even works.

There already are racial traits so why not expand them into a full talent tree.
    Because it was always a bad idea: just look a priest racials back in the day and how/why they were removed.

The point of a racial tree would be that investing in it would take points off the class trees.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having 30 or 31 points per tree is way too much and leads to cookie cutter specs. And why isn't there a racial talent tree? 61 points split between three trees would work better.
    I suggested a racial one, maybe in the future.

As for the points, you can get cookie-cutter builds on everything, even in vanilla, even with current talent trees. The points are fine. You cannot avoid cookie cutter without breaking apart the talent tree and dumping in monotonous options

- - - Updated - - -

The point of a racial tree would be that investing in it would take points off the class trees.
    Naw.

Racial tree should be separate from the class and spec tree.

A racial tree should offer you a racial point pr. 10 points, and have some options of current and new racial benefits. There should be a restriction of a maximum 3-4 active abilities, and then 3-5 passive talents.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Depends on Spec and Class.

Warlocks, for example, have too few points, because every possible ability is a net gain and provides a good use.

DPS Evokers on the other hand are the opposite: I've skilled them, have too many points and am forced to use abilities, I don't even want to use, since their mechanics are terrible. In that case I have points to spare.
    Last edited by LordVargK; 2022-10-23 at 02:06 PM.

Better than having just 5.