Thread: 2022 Midterms

https://www.thedailybeast.com/im-wat...mocrats-voters

A shadowy right-wing group has launched a “scary” vigilante campaign in the battleground state of Arizona that has attracted police attention and put Democratic leaders and voters on edge just days before midterm elections.

The anonymous group, which calls itself “Ben Sent Us,” a reference to Ben Franklin, has mailed out threatening letters en masse to more than a dozen county-level Democratic Party chairpersons in the state, vowing that members “will be locating your homes” and warning that those who are seen as allowing election fraud “will be considered a traitor and dealt with accordingly, as will you.” Ordinary residents in the state have also reported being targeted with ominous election fliers that warn someone is “watching” them.

It’s unclear who’s behind the propaganda campaign, but law enforcement agencies are taking the threats seriously after armed men in masks and tactical gear intimidated, filmed, and followed scared voters outside a ballot drop box in Maricopa County last week.

The website for Ben Sent Us, which was registered overseas on Aug. 30, doesn’t provide any clues as to who’s in charge. The page is hosted through OrangeWebsite, which is best known for being an anti-censorship registrar where you’ll find a host of alt-right, scam, and other sites on the platform as it allows payment in bitcoin.
    Oh look, more right wing attempts to disenfranchise and intimidate voters and election workers, and it seems they may have international help. Not that it's hard to register a domain out of the country, but where's all this money coming from and where do they find all these unemployed people locally with all the time to do this shit?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    A shadowy right-wing group has launched a “scary” vigilante campaign in the battleground state of Arizona that has attracted police attention and put Democratic leaders and voters on edge just days before midterm elections.

The anonymous group, which calls itself “Ben Sent Us,” a reference to Ben Franklin, has mailed out threatening letters en masse to more than a dozen county-level Democratic Party chairpersons in the state, vowing that members “will be locating your homes” and warning that those who are seen as allowing election fraud “will be considered a traitor and dealt with accordingly, as will you.” Ordinary residents in the state have also reported being targeted with ominous election fliers that warn someone is “watching” them.

It’s unclear who’s behind the propaganda campaign, but law enforcement agencies are taking the threats seriously after armed men in masks and tactical gear intimidated, filmed, and followed scared voters outside a ballot drop box in Maricopa County last week.

The website for Ben Sent Us, which was registered overseas on Aug. 30, doesn’t provide any clues as to who’s in charge. The page is hosted through OrangeWebsite, which is best known for being an anti-censorship registrar where you’ll find a host of alt-right, scam, and other sites on the platform as it allows payment in bitcoin.
    Oh look, more right wing attempts to disenfranchise and intimidate voters and election workers, and it seems they may have international help. Not that it's hard to register a domain out of the country, but where's all this money coming from and where do they find all these unemployed people locally with all the time to do this shit?
    And this intimidation is GOING TO WORK. Our laws do not allow for proactive protection of violent voter intimidation and death threats. Post-election there will of course be investigations and "resolutions" but there is no mechanism for election "do-overs" - at least not enough to matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

A small part of me wants to go up to one of the drop boxes these idiots are watching with a big sack labeled "illegal votes" and just see what they do.

Find the difference between CNN coverage of Fetterman last night and Fox News.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UAW0z6OD1o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_VawBG_R88

In short Fetterman fumbled on some questions, like fracking. CNN attacks hard as if Fetterman is not recovering from a stroke. CNN did not criticize or critique Oz. CNN had 2 Republicans, 2 whoever, neutral I guess and 1 weak ass person as a Dem.

In short people turn to news to get the "highlights" so this matters. Fox News they can say the craziest shit and won't matter, the sheep listen. To give CNN some credit, there are moderates or Independents who want to get some balanced info.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    A small part of me wants to go up to one of the drop boxes these idiots are watching with a big sack labeled "illegal votes" and just see what they do.
    Hmm, Arizona. How threatened do you have to feel for Stand Your Ground laws to kick in there?
    Mildly curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Find the difference between CNN coverage of Fetterman last night and Fox News.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UAW0z6OD1o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_VawBG_R88

In short Fetterman fumbled on some questions, like fracking. CNN attacks hard as if Fetterman is not recovering from a stroke. CNN did not criticize or critique Oz. CNN had 2 Republicans, 2 whoever, neutral I guess and 1 weak ass person as a Dem.

In short people turn to news to get the "highlights" so this matters. Fox News they can say the craziest shit and won't matter, the sheep listen. To give CNN some credit, there are moderates or Independents who want to get some balanced info.
    Im not willing to be so charitable towards CNN. They heavily publicized Trump back in 2016, giving free unearned clout. 2022 CNN has shifted to the right and even more antagonistic to anyone 2 steps left of them. We can't afford their "play both sides" nonsense when the Right tells their viewers it doesnt even matter if your candidate lies and is a piece of shit, just vote. Far more people count on CNN (whether CNN is or isnt) to be fair, more far than a Fox News when CNN is trying to claim Fetterman isn't mentally capable of holding his seat. The guy has communication issues, he isn't dumb. Being articulate as someone who has a TV show doesn't mean you can or cant write policy. Meanwhile Oz built his public career lying out of his asshole selling snake oil and claiming he is the better policymaker because he isn't experienced in politics. CNN barely hit any of those notes but damn did they highlight every time Fetterman stammered or mixed words.

I get frustrated the publicity machines the GOP places around people like Oz and Walker, a man who shouldn't be touching the policies of a neighborhood watch, and the Left lets pundits walk all over its candidates. Candidates the the Left desperately needs. The GOP doesn't really give a damn about gaining the majority, especially when they hold key gubernatorial and judicial positions. Keeping the Dems as far away from 60 is all they could ever hope for. Meanwhile the Left NEEDS to climb past the barely technical majority it has to get anything done. The Left is terrible at the politics.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhatconcerned View Post
    I agree it's despicable to experiment on live animals in an inhumane way, but didn't Fauci also experiment on live dogs? If you're going to feign outrage, at least acknowledge it on both sides.

It's why Dems continue to get called hypocrites over things like "my body, my choice" yet they don't extend this same line of thinking to vaccine mandates. Even NY is now recognizing that employees who were fired for refusing the vaccine were done so wrongly. Especially for a vaccine we are continuing to find out was not effective as we had thought/hoped.
    No, that was a lie made up by republicans.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...r/10611004002/

The Phoenix campaign headquarters of Democratic gubernatorial candidate Katie Hobbs was burglarized earlier this week, Phoenix police and a campaign official said Wednesday.

Police responded to a commercial burglary call at the office in midtown Phoenix on Tuesday afternoon.

"Information was learned that items were taken from the property sometime during the night," a police statement said. "No suspects have been identified. This is still an active investigation with detectives checking all security cameras in attempts to identify and locate the subject involved."

Nicole DeMont, campaign manager for Hobbs, said, "We continue to cooperate with law enforcement as they investigate, and we are thankful to the men and women of the Phoenix Police Department for their work to keep us safe."

“Secretary Hobbs and her staff have faced hundreds of death threats and threats of violence over the course of this campaign. Throughout this race, we have been clear that the safety of our staff and of the secretary is our No. 1 priority."

No one was at the office at the time of the break in and several items were taken, said Sarah Robinson, spokeswoman for the Hobbs campaign.
    Sure seems like more Republican fuckery to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    And Cenk goes full mask off! Continuing the TYT pipeline of right wing nit wits. Cenk was always a Republican at heart. Now he has a chance to really embrace the fact that his leftism was always just a grift to take down the librulz.

Cenk is voting for a literal Donald Trump clone, a rich real estate Republican douchebag, for Mayor of Los Angeles. He and his fans are the poster children for fake leftist who spends all his time eviscerating Ds which helps Rs win elections & he knows that. It’s not that surprising that he’s voting for the R by accusing a progressive D of being a dreaded centrist. If she was, she’d still be better than a Republican.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    Funny thing is he doesn't realize all the Dems have to do is pick up 2 seats in the Senate as that would give them an actual majority. To remove the filibuster, I believe they only need a simple majority if they wanted to remove it or change it.
    I wouldn't even remove the filibuster right away. Just make it real. Wanna block Congress? Walk the walk. Stand up and talk. I'd enjoy watching them struggle.

Look at the age breakdown for early voting in Texas. 53% of voters so far have been 65 or older. Are we going to have to wait for the boomers to die out to make progress?

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Halloween Voter View Post
    And Cenk goes full mask off! Continuing the TYT pipeline of right wing nit wits. Cenk was always a Republican at heart. Now he has a chance to really embrace the fact that his leftism was always just a grift to take down the librulz.

Cenk is voting for a literal Donald Trump clone, a rich real estate Republican douchebag, for Mayor of Los Angeles. He and his fans are the poster children for fake leftist who spends all his time eviscerating Ds which helps Rs win elections & he knows that. It’s not that surprising that he’s voting for the R by accusing a progressive D of being a dreaded centrist. If she was, she’d still be better than a Republican.
    Caruso is one of two Democratic candidates for mayor. Homelessness is really bad. But some progressives think you must stick with what hasn't worked in order to keep your Progressive In Good Standing card to flash at people.

There's the people that want to try a change in leadership to see if the homeless problem could be better handled. And then there's the people that argue any change is proof of wanting to change teams. This partisanship keeps LA poorly managed. Partisan identity and the preservation of it is more important to Democratic party politics than administration competence in office.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Someone on Reddit said that Abbott won in 2017 in Texas with 55.8 of the vote, meaning that he was chosen by a majority.
    …You know 55.8 of the vote doesn’t mean 55.8 percent of all Texans, right?

OK, Abbott got 4,656,196 votes, and Texas had a population of 28.62 million in 2018.

That means only 16% of Texans voted for Abbott.

Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    Caruso is one of two Democratic candidates for mayor. Homelessness is really bad. But some progressives think you must stick with what hasn't worked in order to keep your Progressive In Good Standing card to flash at people.

There's the people that want to try a change in leadership to see if the homeless problem could be better handled. And then there's the people that argue any change is proof of wanting to change teams. This partisanship keeps LA poorly managed. Partisan identity and the preservation of it is more important to Democratic party politics than administration competence in office.
    Caruso is not a Democrat. He was a Republican till this year. He only switched parties so he could win the Dem primary against Bass. After losing that he switched back to being a Republican.

California has a homeless problem because its warm, its expensive and they don't want to be complete dicks to the homeless.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's why Dems continue to get called hypocrites over things like "my body, my choice" yet they don't extend this same line of thinking to vaccine mandates.
    "My body my choice, I can abort an embryo if I want to"

"My body my choice, I can have a high risk of infecting and potentially killing fully grown, living human being"

These things are not the same.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Didn't even have to read the article to know which side chose violence in a political campaign. Of course it was the GQP breaking the law, choosing violence, in an election.

Not a single person is surprised. The GQP is the new Nazi Party of violence and hate.

- - - Updated - - -

It's why Dems continue to get called hypocrites over things like "my body, my choice" yet they don't extend this same line of thinking to vaccine mandates.
    The only people calling that line of correct thinking hypocritical are those people that have fought against those rights all along - it's just another smoke screen by the GQP and those people "who do their own research". "My body, my choice" carries equally for both situations. For abortion, it's the woman's body, it's her choice - end of discussion - and she will experience the consequences of either choice. For vaccinations, it's still "my body, my choice" - don't get the vaccination if you don't want to, but that person will experience the consequences, should not go out in public, self quarantine, etc.

It's not complicated when you get down to the basics.

Even NY is now recognizing that employees who were fired for refusing the vaccine were done so wrongly. Especially for a vaccine we are continuing to find out was not effective as we had thought/hoped.
    Any cite for this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Any cite for this?
    I linked to this earlier; https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/25/us/ne...ted/index.html

What he's intentionally ignoring is that the sanitation workers won the case because NY tried to enforce a public-employee vaccine mandate while ending the broader private sector employee mandate; NY could essentially privately contract sanitation workers who were unvaccinated, while insisting they should be allowed to fire publicly-employed sanitation workers who were similarly unvaccinated, and that wasn't a justifiable inconsistency.

The case was not arguing against the idea of vaccine mandates, just consistent application thereof.

7+ Year Old Account
    Remember, vote conservative if you want to die younger.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...olicies-study/

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Remember, vote conservative if you want to die younger.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...olicies-study/
    See, this is the kind of thing liberals will see and immediately say, "Yeah, that makes total sense!" and I did it too! But like...

Researchers analyzed mortality rates for all causes of death in all 50 states from 1999 to 2019 among adults aged 25 to 64.

There were some limitations to the study, including that researchers only looked at adults aged 25 to 64 and that they did not include all state policies in the data.
    Yeah, given this I don't think I'm even interested enough to do too much additional digging to see how much, if any, real value these numbers have.

I know I've seen better quality studies like this that are actually properly comprehensive and still come to the same conclusions and all.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...fect-longevity
    https://undark.org/2021/02/01/americ...thy-countries/

This isn't new ground by any stretch, which is fine if the new study added anything of real value but based on the few articles I've read...it doesn't : /

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I linked to this earlier; https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/25/us/ne...ted/index.html

What he's intentionally ignoring is that the sanitation workers won the case because NY tried to enforce a public-employee vaccine mandate while ending the broader private sector employee mandate; NY could essentially privately contract sanitation workers who were unvaccinated, while insisting they should be allowed to fire publicly-employed sanitation workers who were similarly unvaccinated, and that wasn't a justifiable inconsistency.

The case was not arguing against the idea of vaccine mandates, just consistent application thereof.
    This is my shocked face that the GQP misrepresented the facts in order to hurt people.

Thanks for clarifying.