Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Nothing says GTFO and find a new job like your new boss acting like an 8chan troll in real life.
    I'm pretty sure employees have likely been updating their resume's and going to networking events again since this all kicked off.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    I know. Which is why I dont feel sympathetic when they bitch and moan abt losing their jobs

- - - Updated - - -

I am kinda annoyed ppl are fine with marketing departments determining whats acceptable speech.

Hopefully Elon Musk succeeds but I am not hoping a lot
    So they shouldn't have the right to decide if their ad shows up next to racist slurs? I don't want my shit there why would I say they have to have theirs there?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    I'm willing to bet twitter will crash and burn if he runs it how he wants to.
    As I've said before Musk is just spit-balling most of the time so you shouldn't listen to everything he says and take it all seriously in a literal manner. It's like when Trump said a bunch of things about politics but in reality it's only feasible to implement a small fraction of his ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Advertisers won't want their name next to racism.
    I don't think he will change Twitter's speech policy that much, tbh. I think he will nudge things in the right direction and he'll hire some people he trusts to root out some of the lefty social justice moderators who believe that they are authority figures in regards to the truth or in regards to what language is acceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Nothing says bright future like the chief twit saying he may layoff 75% of the work force /s
    I personally think that number is too dramatic and that a 75% cut would include too many innocent/reasonable Twitter employees. Just getting rid of the worst 10% of employees might fix most of the problems he sees with Twitter employees right now. As always I recommend incrementalism over short-term drastic change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Truly, an emotionally and psychologically stable genius.
    Well if he's not claiming to be those things then it doesn't matter, but yeah hopefully he's not like Kanye West and Trump who literally say they are geniuses. A person who truly has a good quality would not feel the need to say it out loud, imo.
    I'm just so glad he innovates all kinds of things like 1-lane tunnels where a Tesla driven by a human shuttles people between locations. Complete with traffic jams that underground tunnels like that are supposed to circumvent, but it's in beta! The tunnel is in beta! Get ready for Tunnel 2.0! It'll be Hyperloop soon! Dogecoin!
    Musk seems very interested in innovation and he is a successful entrepreneur... Can you name 5 living people who you think are more innovative than Elon Musk in general?
    Last edited by PC2; 2022-10-27 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Musk seems very interested in innovation and he is a successful entrepreneur... Can you name 5 living people who you think are more innovative than Elon Musk in general?
    can you name the major innovations he has created that make you call him an innovator? I am serious because he is a venture capitalist and he has been successful doing that but I can't think of anything he has invented that would give him that moniker.

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    When a person is born into wealth much of their education will revolve around how to keep and maintain that wealth. It's not "savvy" at all, it's simply the circumstances of their family.

People raised in poverty don't tend to have much need of an education in how to manage a massive stock portfolio.
    I am aware he's no self-made man by any means, but that doesn't qualify as not being business savvy.
    One does not rise to the top of the pile (or rather the top of the public pile) without being business savvy, regardless of getting a headstart.

And on the flipside: People born into wealth lack many real world skills, which remarkably often results in poor health, the greatest decider for success in any form.

I am not one to root for (or against) the fatcat or the underdog and can find appreciation for both when appropriate, but to do so requires realistic assessment; sometimes the fatcat simply has a knack for something, sometimes the underdog is the underdog for very good reason, sometimes it's completely reversed.

And consider the more practical perspective that if you cannot bring yourself to respect one enough to acknowledge their real value (and subsequently also their real flaws), then how in the hell do you expect to deal with them in a way you can live with? Their fall or rise would be entirely disconnected from your assessment of it, and the consequences of the emotionally driven disconnect from you with reality can be terrible.

Respect your enemies no less than you respect your friends.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    I am aware he's no self-made man by any means, but that doesn't qualify as not being business savvy.
    One does not rise to the top of the pile (or rather the top of the public pile) without being business savvy, regardless of getting a headstart.\
    I wasn't talking about being "self-made" or anything like that, only that when you are born into wealth the education you receive in your youth, primarily from your family, is going to focus on maintaining and acquiring more wealth. There was no value judgment being made about wealthy people, only the recognition that due to the circumstances of their family's wealth they are going to learn the fundamentals of making money.

When you're born into poverty your family will not focus on teaching you how to run a mega-corporation. You can learn that skill, given the opportunity, but it's extremely unlikely. In a true poverty situation, you may enter the workforce without even understanding how to balance a bank account, let alone how to perform successful stock deals.

The skills that you absorb will vary greatly depending upon your family's economic situation. I neither credit people like Musk for being "savvy", because he's not inherently savvy, nor do I deride him for what he accomplishes, while recognizing that it's a function of his birth circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    I wasn't talking about being "self-made" or anything like that, only that when you are born into wealth the education you receive in your youth, primarily from your family, is going to focus on maintaining and acquiring more wealth. There was no value judgment being made about wealthy people, only the recognition that due to the circumstances of their family's wealth they are going to learn the fundamentals of making money.

When you're born into poverty your family will not focus on teaching you how to run a mega-corporation. You can learn that skill, given the opportunity, but it's extremely unlikely. In a true poverty situation, you may enter the workforce without even understanding how to balance a bank account, let alone how to perform successful stock deals.

The skills that you absorb will vary greatly depending upon your family's economic situation. I neither credit people like Musk for being "savvy", because he's not inherently savvy, nor do I deride him for what he accomplishes, while recognizing that it's a function of his birth circumstances.
    Everyone learns the fundamentals of survival (and thereby survival through making money in an urbanised environment), arguably poor people better so as the value thereof is more thoroughly imprinted through being faced with the direct consequences of failure.

The advantage of wealth is simply of a different sort than you're imagining here: It comes mainly from perspective, disconnection from the system allows one to see it for what it is rather than for what people pretend or want it to be.
    The skills needed to run a megacorporation are up for grabs for pretty much anyone nowadays, with the caveat that megacorporations are run really rather poorly at a frighteningly high rate precisely because such perspectives cannot be taught nor attained by the ambitious poor with that memory of poverty in their mental foundations.
    Consequently many among rich can indeed live through very minor effort as they are a lot less prone to certain sorts of delusions and manipulations - if a crowd's opinion is as nothing to you, then you have the time and space of mind to properly evaluate matters independently of socially-induced emotion and opinion. But to grow rich requires the exact same skills, the exact same savvyness as any other would need.
    In that sense it's good to realise that though they are indeed afforded a headstart in some senses the paths they take to power and riches are still very much relevant for those that do not have such a headstart, and that it does no one any good in trying to deny somebody's qualities because they had a headstart.
    After all that someone is entirely unimportant to both you and me, the more interesting part is how he did it while the important part is whether we can glean lessons from it to further our own goals. That's why one should always be respectful, if in a non-servile way; it is merely acknowledging reality so that you may use it to your own ends.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully a change in leadership will mean addressing actual issues that Twitter has, most of which have little to do with political groups. Like targeting the rampant pedophile groups that use Twitter and go completely unabated. But I'm not holding my breath, Twitter is still going to be a cesspool regardless of who is in charge but god damn the moderation needs to be figured out because it always seems like some people can get away with crap like telling people to kill themselves, uttering death threats or wishing harm on others and go unpunished and others get banned almost instantly.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1585619322239561728

The fuckin copium is real and I love it.

So I guess his purchase actually had nothing to do with "free speech" or anything once he realized that not having rules and restrictions would make it a very unattractive platform for advertisers. Kinda not a great choice to do a $20M ad-buy on Twitter only to have your brand appearing in the feeds alongside Nazi's and shit, most brands aren't into that since they don't really want to market to the Nazi demographic.

So now it's "FOR THE FUTURE OF HUMANITY" because Twitter is apparently the digital town square? That you can communicate in 280 characters or less in. That's also one of the smallest "major" social media networks, with comparative newcomer TikTok already having more than double the active users of Twitter.

He's really just pretending this was all his plan all along and actually a very good idea and that he didn't try to back out of grossly overpaying for Twitter in an attempt to troll them and the SEC in a game of chicken he fully expected Twitter to lose. They didn't, so Twitter shareholders end up winning and Elon Musk loses. What happens to Twitter, who knows. I don't much care outside the fact that I at least know how to navigate Twitter to find posts and info and haven't the foggiest clue how Instagram or TikTok and shit work.

As I've said before Musk is just spit-balling most of the time so you shouldn't listen to everything he says and take it all seriously in a literal manner. It's like when Trump said a bunch of things about politics but in reality it's only feasible to implement a small fraction of his ideas.

I don't think he will change Twitter's speech policy that much, tbh. I think he will nudge things in the right direction and he'll hire some people he trusts to root out some of the lefty social justice moderators who believe that they are authority figures in regards to the truth or in regards to what language is acceptable.

I personally think that number is too dramatic and that a 75% cut would include too many innocent/reasonable Twitter employees. Just getting rid of the worst 10% of employees might fix most of the problems he sees with Twitter employees right now. As always I recommend incrementalism over short-term drastic change.

Well if he's not claiming to be those things then it doesn't matter, but yeah hopefully he's not like Kanye West and Trump who literally say they are geniuses. A person who truly has a good quality would not feel the need to say it out loud, imo.

Using the name 5 meme as a real point.

Lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    So now it's "FOR THE FUTURE OF HUMANITY" because Twitter is apparently the digital town square?
    You want it to be a real "digital town square"? Donate it to the government. Cover the operating costs despite the loss of your ownership. Take all moderation off except legal enforcement of federal regulations.

That's your "digital town square". What's that, you don't want that? Then shut the fuck up, your hair plugs are poking into your brain again, Elon.

It isn't about a "digital town square", it's about being the little Napoleon who gets to dictate what goes.

It's been very clear he didn't want to go through with this deal. He fucked up and knows it. What a tremendous waste of money.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/27/tech/...ter/index.html

And it's done. Twitter CEO and CFO Parag Agrawal and Ned Segal are now very unemployed and also very, very wealthy.

Props to Agrawal (or the board) for winning the game of chicken with Elon. He's making out like a bandit and living the dream.

"Please don't abandon my shitty platform when I let Trump back on to spread his propaganda and blatant disinformation again!!!"

Best of luck to the dumbass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    "Please don't abandon my shitty platform when I let Trump back on to spread his propaganda and blatant disinformation again!!!"

Best of luck to the dumbass.
    I have a feeling that not much will actually happen with Twitter. It'll continue operating pretty much as is. Trump will remain banned. But that's just a hunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    I have a feeling that not much will actually happen with Twitter. It'll continue operating pretty much as is. Trump will remain banned. But that's just a hunch.
    He probably has to let it run as usual if he wants a chance of recouping some of his losses. But leaving Trump banned would be a huge PR hit for him among the deluded morons who think he actually gives a shit about free speech.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1585619322239561728

So I guess his purchase actually had nothing to do with "free speech" or anything once he realized that not having rules and restrictions would make it a very unattractive platform for advertisers. Kinda not a great choice to do a $20M ad-buy on Twitter only to have your brand appearing in the feeds alongside Nazi's and shit, most brands aren't into that since they don't really want to market to the Nazi demographic.
    That is also kinda false. They don't care who they market to. They just want to sell their stuff, who buys it is not even tertiary as long as people buy it. What they don't want is that other people think they are a fascist supporting brand and then stop buying their shit, which has only recently become an issue because it has become easier for very vocal minorities to stir up shit (sometimes even falsely). The last 50 years no one gave a toss if a nazi sympathisizer was drinking a coke.

Edit: I can't wait for his improvements to the platform though. I want to see it crash and burn so badly.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2022-10-28 at 05:21 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    I certainly hope so.

I think people underestimate just how damaging Trump was being a constant source of toxicity on twitter
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Janitor View Post
    That is also kinda false. They don't care who they market to.
    I mean, this isn't remotely true.

Need I mention all the times advertisers fled Fox when their hosts said some truly outrageous shit? We getting any corporate sponsors for the local Klan rally?

Brands are all-important now, and brands want to protect their brand image. Brands are what's valuable, and as we're seeing with Ye's brand right now, being associated with being an antisemite (his brand, being directly connected to him) is causing him to lose his fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Janitor View Post
    What they don't want is that other people think they are a fascist supporting brand and then stop buying their shit, which has only recently become an issue because it has become easier for very vocal minorities to stir up shit (sometimes even falsely). The last 50 years no one gave a toss if a nazi sympathisizer was drinking a coke.
    Not really, the only thing "new" about it is its reach with modern technology. This was all shit handled locally previously, and brands weren't the mighty, personified juggernauts that they are today.

Nobody gives a shit if a Nazy sympathizer is drinking a Coke today, I mean outside of saying "fuck that Nazi sympathizer". Nobody blames Coke for him drinking a Coke, which makes me think you fundamentally miss the core of this concept.

Do you actually think the people taking action against tweets/accounts do so randomly and use their feelings?

I'm fairly sure they have a set of rules they go by just like everywhere else, like here.

As far as I know he didn't really innovate much, more like finance other peoples ideas.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    Everyone learns the fundamentals of survival (and thereby survival through making money in an urbanised environment), arguably poor people better so as the value thereof is more thoroughly imprinted through being faced with the direct consequences of failure.
    What a load of bull, rich people get a better education and basically are connected from the start - so rich people don't have to be geniuses to get even richer.