How do work orders function?

How does the work order system function?

Will there be bots offering miniscule prices for crafts thus excluding everyone else (while they, by their number reach relevant sums of gold?).

Who actually sets the price?

The one who requests the craft? In this case they would offer money along the craft and it will be crafted when a crafter wants to pick up that money?
    The one who crafts the request? In this case the one who requests a craft will pay whatever crafter is requesting for the craft?

In both ways i can think of bots sitting at the crafting location and completing all craft requests and generating a lot of gold?

Or perhaps I do not understand how it works and these quick thoughts dont even make any sense. Anyone explain it to me clearly ?

I'm more interested how does proc from profession work with work order. For example alchemy have a chance to generate additional potions/flasks. Does it work with work order? If yes the bonus result will go to crafter or the one who made order?

10+ Year Old Account
    somebody with the crafting profession for the work order and the recipe for the item(s) that's in the work order looks at the work order, sees if it's worth their time to make said item(s), makes the item(s) and sends them to the person who paid for the work order, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    Anyone explain it to me clearly ?
    Your own words should be clear enough.
    The one who requests the craft? In this case they would offer money along the craft and it will be crafted when a crafter wants to pick up that money?

10+ Year Old Account
    How does the work order system function?
    Wowhead has an article write up on it along with some videos from content creators.

Will there be bots offering miniscule prices for crafts thus excluding everyone else (while they, by their number reach relevant sums of gold?).
    Looks like there is a hard limit of 30 work order per day that a toon can do. So while it's possible to do WO crafts at a loss (sometimes people will do this to get the skill up) there is a limit to them. 30 does seem quite high though.

Who actually sets the price?
    Buyer sets their price. Crafters can choose whether to accept or pass on work order.

The one who requests the craft?
    Buyer.

In this case they would offer money along the craft and it will be crafted when a crafter wants to pick up that money?
    The gold is transferred when the order is completed. Probably a deposit is gathering at time of placing work order.

The one who crafts the request?
    Crafter.

In this case the one who requests a craft will pay whatever crafter is requesting for the craft?
    No the buyer sets the price they are willing to pay.

In both ways i can think of bots sitting at the crafting location and completing all craft requests and generating a lot of gold?
    Except with the limit of 30 work orders per day, you would want to maximize the amount of gold you could generate. Why pick up smaller margin orders instead of larger ones?

Anyone explain it to me clearly ?
    Buyer creates the order, including how much commission they want to pay + provide any (to all) mats required. They can also set if they want the work order to be public or private (limited to within their guild or even to specific players -i.e. Alts)

Crafter can look at list of work orders and determine which one they want to fulfill. Remember they can only fulfill 30 orders per day so you would want to find orders that have a large commission (after subtracting the costs for missing reagents).

So a raider might say hey I want to someone to make this shiny axe at Tier 5 (max tier), they'll even pay 15k for it but they won't provide any of the mats. A quick look on the AH shows that to get the mats, it may cost up to 10k (might be more or less depending on your crafting skill).

But then there's this other player who wants a shiny axe at Tier 1 but only wants to spend 100g BUT they've provided all the T1 mats required. It's effectively free 100g for you to click a button to craft for them.

Things like that will happen in DF. Also it looks like you do have a timer (of 30 minutes) when you accept a crafting order so a bot can't just grab all the lucrative work orders and NOT craft them.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

I wonder if implementing a buyer/crafter rating system would be beneficial to those looking to buy/sell from reliable sources.

Edit: Sort of like Uber's star rating for drivers after completing a service.
    "The customer is always right" is a nice way of saying "I will put up with your bullshit as long as you pay me"

In its current iteration, the Work Order / Crafting system is hot garbage. Having a system dependent on buyers is stupid, hopefully, addons come out to fix this mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    I wonder if implementing a buyer/crafter rating system would be beneficial to those looking to buy/sell from reliable sources.

No. NO. Dear gods, no.

Have you not met WoW players? They'd abuse the fuck out of a rating system.

Also: it's not like that would serve any purpose, would it. What are people going to do, try EXTRA hard on fulfilling your work order?

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    No. NO. Dear gods, no.

Have you not met WoW players? They'd abuse the fuck out of a rating system.

Also: it's not like that would serve any purpose, would it. What are people going to do, try EXTRA hard on fulfilling your work order?
    I thought of an understand that the abuse would be there. Just throwing ideas out there.

Maybe if it wasn't dependent on the buyer or seller. Maybe you automatically get a point (shown on the "work orders board" next to your name) for each successful "craft" you make for buyers. And possibly a average turnaround time that a particular crafter usually takes to fulfill a craft after an order is made. (not sure how that part works once an order is accepted by a crafter if there is a deadline for when the craft/item is supposed to be done). So that buyers can pick crafters that can get you your item quickly.

Edit: I guess it doesn't matter if the buyer can't actively choose which crafter is making the item. And it's up to the crafters to fight over who wants the craft the item at a certain price.
    Last edited by Redwyrm; 2022-10-31 at 04:42 PM.
    "The customer is always right" is a nice way of saying "I will put up with your bullshit as long as you pay me"

Maybe you automatically get a point (shown on the "work orders board" next to your name) for each successful "craft" you make for buyers.
    Can be easily abused. Bump your own rating by making crafts for either yourself on alts or your friends and guildmates. Set the price to 1 copper and no "real" crafter will take your order, but only the ones participating in the bump. Worst case scenario some random joins in, but you still get your Gold Star for being a good little crafter.

10+ Year Old Account
    And possibly a average turnaround time that a particular crafter usually takes to fulfill a craft after an order is made. (not sure how that part works once an order is accepted by a crafter if there is a deadline for when the craft/item is supposed to be done)
    Crafters have 30 minutes upon accepting work order to craft the item.

I guess it doesn't matter if the buyer can't actively choose which crafter is making the item.
    Buyers can limit how their Work order is displayed. From public (default) to limit to within guild to specific person (i.e. Your favorite crafter or alt).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Toadyus View Post
    In its current iteration, the Work Order / Crafting system is hot garbage. Having a system dependent on buyers is stupid,
    How? A buyer can set their price that they are willing to pay (also based on how much of the mats they are willing to provide).

Crafters can make the final call on whether a work order is "worth" their time to accept and make.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

Why would you like something like this for work order? You simply put it on for whatever price you want and someone pick it up or don't if the price is not worth it. You want specific person to do it? Sure, I heard theres a option to make it accesible only to specific person.
    How would you rate someone clicking button in a UI? Theres no trade involved, no possible scam or anyhting. It's just like buying from AH. You want rating system for AH sellers too?

Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    Why would you like something like this for work order? You simply put it on for whatever price you want and someone pick it up or don't if the price is not worth it. You want specific person to do it? Sure, I heard theres a option to make it accesible only to specific person.
    How would you rate someone clicking button in a UI? Theres no trade involved, no possible scam or anyhting. It's just like buying from AH. You want rating system for AH sellers too?
    Definitely not. I just thought it would be more immersive for the crafter and their chosen profession. Maybe there are other ways to do it.

I know I am thinking of this backwards from how the order system works but imagine a shop in each of the main cities where the buyer walks up to the counter and places an order for a weapon (for example) and he scrolls through the list of crafters offering their talents (like I said I know this is backwards but for shits and grins). He selects the crafter with the best pitch/slogan/rating/whatever. A second later a NPC that is a copy of the crafters avatar appears and finalizes the deal and hands you the weapon personally (using the copied avatar, not the actual player).

From the crafters perspective you get to see a copy of the sellers character walk up the the same counter (whenever the crafter decides to collect the money from the system) and places a bag of money down, waves and walks out the door.

Each profession could have their own store front with numerous counters in each (phased so that more than one player can use). Each store decorated in the professions wares and tools (Armor, Weapons, Tailoring, Jewelcrafting, etc.). Think of them as order halls but for professions. For example for the Alchemy Store, bubbling cauldrons, shelves lined with different colored bottles of various shapes and sizes. Some glowing, some shaking, some smoking.

I'm just trying to make this more fun and personal for the crafters and specifically those who like to RP. And get away from the detached AH trade style system.
    Last edited by Redwyrm; 2022-10-31 at 11:11 PM.

It would get boring and annoying fast especially when you gonna craft alot of items with work orders. When I wanna get a craft I just wanna get it quick and in easy way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    It would get boring and annoying fast especially when you gonna craft alot of items with work orders. When I wanna get a craft I just wanna get it quick and in easy way.
    And I would not want to implement a system without the option to skip the extra flavor bits. I am just hoping that Blizzard could add some Profession identity to the game the same way they did to Classes. I realize that in a majority of the player base that a profession is just another mechanic, but if done right it could add to the player character's identity and presence in the "world".

I get where you are going with this, but it would definitely be subverted. Guilds would get work orders from crafyers they don't like and then rate lowly at the end of it to drive down their rating.

I could imagine some kind of time fulfillment or background ai rating what jobs at what costs a crafter accepts; to create some kind of "xyz accepts 80% of mode (reasonable orders in a calculated range) orders" type rating.
    I just don't know how useful that would be, you dump your order in the AH and someone fills it or not, it would be the buyer that would require the rating more than a crafter.