Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    again, your opinion does not make fact. you cannot decide what is or is not great. its purely subjective.
    I'm fine with that, but I'm also not the one who started arguing with my opinion that marvel sucked. I said it to make a point and you responded, and I have a personal principle to never be the bigger person so I continued elaborating.

Yes yes, I know everything as far as art goes is subjective, and I'm fine with that. The witcher without henry as geralt is shit. Marvel movies are shit. Move on if you disagree instead of choosing this specific nit-pic to latch onto... because honestly it's irrelevant. Sorry you like marvel and I hit a nerve insulting it to make my point that marvel could put a movie out about literal dog shit and people would buy tickets.

And don't get me started on your hypocrisy of drawing attention to the fact I said marvel sucks without the typical "IMO" caveat while also saying a definitive statement of "no they don't!" without the "IMO" caveat, and then turning tail to the "but but it's subjective" thing. If you know that, then you know what I'm saying is an opinion on a topic unrelated to the OP so get over the fact you feel personally called out for liking it. It's besides the point.

The point is that, as someone else already said, braindead executives see success in something completely unrelated and think they can achieve success just because they're applying the same formula to the same artistic medium. They need to learn that's fucking stupid.
    Last edited by BeepBoo; 2022-10-31 at 02:25 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    The point is that, as someone else already said, braindead executives see success in something completely unrelated and think they can achieve success just because they're applying the same formula to the same artistic medium. They need to learn that's fucking stupid.
    This is exactly what happened to Percy jackson franchise, and the dumb thing they didn't even use the right formula they were basing on (Harry potter), and end up in the second worst adaptation ever

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Game of Thrones ruined tv fantasy forever. Now we have source material being butchered into wannabe gritty copycats by "hip" writers and execs that fall woefully short and are more soap operas than fantasy.
    100% agree, although I say it was both the best and worst thing to happen to fantasy.

Rings of Power only solidified that, becuase TV execs will be saying 'people dislike this but they love House of the Dragon, so people must want more shows like House of the dragon' and so every TV exec is like 'we need more gritty fantasy, its what the people want' when in fact people just want good TV and most of the classical fantasy like RoP or WoT are just treated badly and in effect are made an example of.

Its frustrating as someone who loves classical/fairy-tale fantasy. movies like Legend, LotR, Labyrinth, Dragonslayer, Excalibur, Dragonheart wont exist today, because its not Game of Thrones and if they did then they would turn them into dark, gritty, political fantasy. Which is fine, but not everything need to be that.
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-10-31 at 07:46 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    100% agree, although I say it was both the best and worst thing to happen to fantasy.

Rings of Power only solidified that, becuase TV execs will be saying 'people dislike this but they love House of the Dragon, so people must want more shows like House of the dragon' and so every TV exec is like 'we need more gritty fantasy, its what the people want' when in fact people just want good TV and most of the classical fantasy like RoP or WoT are just treated badly and in effect are made an example of.

Its frustrating as someone who loves classical/fairy-tale fantasy. movies like Legend, LotR, Labyrinth, Dragonslayer, Excalibur, Dragonheart wont exist today, because its not Game of Thrones and if they did then they would turn them into dark, gritty, political fantasy. Which is fine, but not everything need to be that.
    I'm personally finding it extremely difficult to slog through House of the Dragon or Rings of Power. They are not interesting or appealing, but people like me watch these shows because they're trending.

If they weren't popular because of their brand, no one would give a single fuck about them. I do not care about political fucking intrigue in a fantasy show about goddamn dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    I'm personally finding it extremely difficult to slog through House of the Dragon or Rings of Power. They are not interesting or appealing, but people like me watch these shows because they're trending.

If they weren't popular because of their brand, no one would give a single fuck about them. I do not care about political fucking intrigue in a fantasy show about goddamn dragons.
    Just fyi, the show isn't and never has been about dragons. They are in it and have a part to play, but it's not about them. It's the politics surrounding the houses it's about, so of course the show will have politics as a focus.

I'd argue that Game of Thrones and now House of the Dragon got popular because of the internal politics and dialogue. The brand is famous for it's political drama, that is their brand.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2022-10-31 at 08:53 AM.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Just fyi, the show isn't and never has been about dragons. They are in it and have a part to play, but it's not about them. It's the politics surrounding the houses it's about, so of course the show will have politics as a focus.

I'd argue that Game of Thrones and now House of the Dragon got popular because of the internal politics and dialogue. The brand is famous for it's political drama, that is their brand.
    pretty sure GoT got popular for the nudity and gore.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Icon View Post
    pretty sure GoT got popular for the nudity and gore.
    And shock value, it was the three main thing that brought people to see, but if it was this alone people would not keep watching

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    And shock value, it was the three main thing that brought people to see, but if it was this alone people would not keep watching
    well it was pretty much centered around how far can they go each week with that stuff that where the talking points in both media and among people i know watching it. hardly anyone cared about the politics of the show.

oops i just noticed this conversation was taking place in a post unrelated to that show :P
    Last edited by Lex Icon; 2022-10-31 at 09:53 PM.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    Because they see success of throwaway trite writing of marvel printing billions and think "that's what good is! That's what makes good screenplay, right!?! It's successful!" and don't realize marvel just has a huge cult-following like disney that will watch whatever garbage they put out. Meanwhile, they do not have that same loyal following for whatever IP they're attempting to apply the same bullshit formula to and are always left wondering why they suck and fail.
    Marvel hasn't pulled in decent numbers for several films aside from Spiderman, which was made by Sony. The recent slate of theatrical releases have done poorly compared to phase 3 and been pretty panned by audiences to boot. The reason phase 3 films were pushing really high box office sales numbers was because they were decent films that followed an at least somewhat interesting story arc. Phase 4 has been awful because for whatever reason, Disney has been cutting costs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    again, your opinion does not make fact. you cannot decide what is or is not great. its purely subjective.
    Your disagreement with my assertion is irrelevant. Subjectivity ultimately is true for each person. So my assertion stands. To claim it is great is no less subjective than those who claim otherwise.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cavill kinda made the show to me, gonna be hard to replace him. I'll give it a shot after. but not holding my breath.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

7+ Year Old Account
    Interview with Cavil, talk about some of his work and when asked about Season 3 he barely talk about the show and only mention his work with the guy doing the choreography, and talk about how season 3 will have lot of action, not gonna lie, he talks like he was stepping on some eggs, just make me believe he got out because th changes in the show

(and just for the gag, he praised HotD writing and like many people, just said rings of power is rly beautiful, and thats it )

Henry Cavill's wooden performance was the only remotely charming thing about this show. Do they seriously expect people to continue watching after he's gone?
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Henry Cavill's wooden performance was the only remotely charming thing about this show. Do they seriously expect people to continue watching after he's gone?
    Considering the complaints people have about the casting of other roles, I have a feeling this will mark the end of the series popularity.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Considering the complaints people have about the casting of other roles, I have a feeling this will mark the end of the series popularity.
    Personally, I couldn't even make it through season 2 so I wouldn't be surprised if they ended the show prematurely after Cavill is gone.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

Personally, I couldn't even make it through season 2 so I wouldn't be surprised if they ended the show prematurely after Cavill is gone.
    Would they have recast the role if they never planned to make another season? Not so sure.

But it's entirely possible it'll wither and die instantly after S4. Then again, who knows - maybe The-Other-Hemsworth kills it in the role, or something. Nobody expects it, and the previous Cavill experience will undoubtedly bias the reception... but hey, stranger things.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Though to be fair, even with its more "artsy" appeal and French cinema air, the Dune movie was a travesty for book fans. It resonated well with movie-goers because it's an accomplished piece of cinema (for the most part) but people who were deep into the books could only roll their eyes and grit their teeth at most of it. There was nothing "deep" about Dune - it was a spectacle as well, just of a different kind. More opera than musical theater, but still just a spectacle.

At this point I'm not even sure what film I'd hold up as being an accomplished translation of text to screen. The Godfather, maybe?

Honestly, I'm just not a big fan of adaptations in general. I like the medium to speak for itself. Write films. Write books. Don't try and make one into the other. But that's subjective, of course.
    Interview with the Vampire improved upon the book in some ways and the screen play was written by Anne Rice herself. It really doesn't follow a lot of the book, but it maintains the spirit of the entire vampire chronicles, and imo, is one of the best films.

Another one is The Green Mile, however it is much more book adjacent to me than interview, and just really good at both.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I think it's not going to go on long, but to be fair I do like the actress that plays Yen.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Interview with the Vampire improved upon the book in some ways and the screen play was written by Anne Rice herself. It really doesn't follow a lot of the book, but it maintains the spirit of the entire vampire chronicles, and imo, is one of the best films.

Another one is The Green Mile, however it is much more book adjacent to me than interview, and just really good at both.
    Those are good examples, thanks!

Welp, there goes another reason to have a netflix subscription.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I think it's not going to go on long, but to be fair I do like the actress that plays Yen.
    Me too. I think she has done a great acting job in the show.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.