Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    The jailer is, well, jailed.
    That's why he needs pawns.
    But if a sufficiently powerful creature seizes those pawns he is again only a jailed dude with little to no influence on the rest of existence.
    Jailer would fall to the same fate as anyone else would with the one ring.

He would seek to use it's power to remake the world as he originally intended, but the second he accepts the ring it's over, the darkness will bind him.

The only way to successfully beat Sauron is to destroy the ring and resist it's corruption. None of the characters both Lich King and Jailer seem capable of doing that.

The only ones who I can see tossing the ring out are Jaina and Thrall. That's it.
    Go Phillies. Go Eagles. Go Union. Go Sixers. Go Flyers.

You grant far too much power to the One Ring. Especially if the battle is on Azeroth.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    You grant far too much power to the One Ring. Especially if the battle is on Azeroth.
    Yup. In Death Battles they seek instances when a character resisted similar powers, or tanked similar lvl of damage. I severely doubt Arthas puts the ring and it's GG.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Sauron, Easy, Its not a contest. Even if LK falls Sauron, he takes the ring, the ring takes him and BOOM Sauron wins.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

the One Ring's power of temptation is incredibly strong. In fact any of the 16 rings of power Sauron created are enough to enthrall the vast majority of people effortlessly (the only reason the dwarf lords didn't end up serving Sauron is because dwarves are simply immune to corruption in Tolkien's world, it did make them insane,greedy and reclusive though)

Sauron is also incredibly smart and knows how to bend others to his will very easily, his main flaw however is his pride and vanity, but Arthas simply isn't cunning enough to make use of that

You have to demonstrate Arthas/Lich King could resist that ring.

At no point has that character ever done that. There's no logic in assuming Arthas/Lich King can say no. There's not an ounce of goodness left in them and as a result would not be able to turn the ring down.

What we know about the ring is that those who can resist are good, or play a larger part in goodness, and Arthas/Lich King/Jailer all would fall prey to it.

And again--If the ring lives, Sauron lives, you use the ring eventually Sauron will control you.

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    the One Ring's power of temptation is incredibly strong. In fact any of the 16 rings of power Sauron created are enough to enthrall the vast majority of people effortlessly (the only reason the dwarf lords didn't end up serving Sauron is because dwarves are simply immune to corruption in Tolkien's world, it did make them insane,greedy and reclusive though)

Sauron is also incredibly smart and knows how to bend others to his will very easily, his main flaw however is his pride and vanity, but Arthas simply isn't cunning enough to make use of that
    Ya but the dwarves and elves resisted. Elves were the only ones to truly escape Sauron's corruption, but that's because they were forged without his help.

Dwarves were naturally hardy and resisted the corruption, but the corruption spread to other creatures such as Balrogs and Dragons which consumed the Dwarvish kings who had the rings. So while they were not corrupted, other Morgoth beasts consumed them.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miffinat0r View Post
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them
    You are RPing way to much now.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

He would seek to use it's power to remake the world as he originally intended, but the second he accepts the ring it's over, the darkness will bind him.

The only way to successfully beat Sauron is to destroy the ring and resist it's corruption. None of the characters both Lich King and Jailer seem capable of doing that.

The only ones who I can see tossing the ring out are Jaina and Thrall. That's it.
    Jaina and Thrall both have a very strong magical sense and so would easily be corrupted as they would instantly know how much good the power of the ring could be used for. They'd take it thinking they'd use it for good, but it would ruin them slowly but surely. Same reason why Gandalf is terrified of the Ring (and of Sauron himself), despite being notable for his selflessness, he knows that he'd be corrupted by it if he could get his hands on it, despite only wanting to help the Free Peoples of Middle Earth.

The reason why hobbits tend to be better at resting the ring is because of how unremarkable they are both morally and in terms of power

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    You are RPing way to much now.
    I'm not lol.

I'm playing it based on what we know. The rings is extremely tempting. At no point can Arthas/Lich King ever demonstrated they can resist power when it's at their doorstep. The entire Lich King's story is about men falling into corruption. That's the entire story of the Lord of the Rings.

Sauron wins this one because he made the ultimate item of the allure of power. Why would Arthas/Lich King resist this? He would do exactly what Boromir suggested at the council, and he would fall into Sauron's corruption as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    But it's not Arthas...

Pretty much, yeah.
    But the reason i made that post is because i don't think the jailer could even start to factor into this confrontation.

I mean the one ring is pretty much only resistable to "über" gods like, well, in example the abrahamic god (if treated as a fictional character and yadayada not into theological debate right now) as well as "good" creatures, and even then for only so long.

So yeah that rules out both Arthas and the Jailer, neither if which are close to any of those things and would fall to it rather easily.
    Last edited by loras; 2022-11-01 at 04:25 PM.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

But it's not Arthas...
    So it's the Lich King. Has that character ever turned down power that they think they cannot control themselves? I don't think the Lich King has.

The only ones who were ever able to penetrate Morgoth and Sauron were small in stature, and in power. The simirls are not taken from Morgoth by a host of beings but small parties able to resist the dark lords power.

Just calling as I see it; There's no evidence to suggest they would destroy the ring, the Lich King probably wouldn't even turn it away like Faramir, Aragorn, or Gladriel did.

The second that ring gets introduced is the second the Lich King sealed their fate and eventually would come to serve Sauron.

I decline to believe the Jailer would ignore any interference from some off world interloper. At which point Sauron gets crushed brutally into the aggregate being that is the Lich King. The One Ring being thoroughly subverted to his use.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Yup. In Death Battles they seek instances when a character resisted similar powers, or tanked similar lvl of damage. I severely doubt Arthas puts the ring and it's GG.
    The problem though is that Arthas has shown he is very susceptible to outside influence. From more straight forward manipulation (Malganis goading him to chase him to Northrend) to the influence of Frostmourne (before he even picked it up). His own ego helped ensure his own downfall as he wanted to corrupt the world's champion's as well. At every turn where he could have resisted corruption, he delved right into further corruption instead.

Even if Sauron isn't at his full might due to the location, I really doubt Arthas is going to resist the chance for more power, honestly.

Too many mistake Arthas for the Lich King.
    The aggregate becomes different when the Jailer becomes involved.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicpreds View Post
    The Lich King defied the Jailer, the Legion, etc. And whatever power there was that he could try to "claim" or "oppose", he played a game of chess and used the Heroes of Azeroth against such an ordeal. He believes himself to be the one true king, and was even going to try and defeat the Legion and the Void had he won at Icecrown, which he almost did had it not been for the Ashbringer.
    He would defeat Legion and the Void, if not for his defeat? Man, you are now going into opposite direction. Also, regarding this "chess" he was playing, he failed hard at it with his "let's just throw my minions one after another at those heroes to test them and never kill them despite having multiple occasions so I can turn them into my greatest champions oh shit they killed me". His 'master plan" was ridiculed since day one of ICC patch.

I don't know why everyone keeps saying that if you take the ring then Sauron somehow wins, even if he's defeated.

Tolkien himself writes that other beings can take the ring and destroy Sauron just fine, it's just that the ring itself tends to lead the wielder to dark acts. That doesn't mean that Sauron is in control or has won somehow.

In the case of Arthas, that wouldn't exactly be a problem, he already wants to be a "Dark Lord" in this context anyway. Whether the ring would tend to steer him away from his other - ostensibly more noble - goals of defeating the Legion and the void is another question. But just taking the ring doesn't mean Sauron wins.

Man's literally ignoring the existence of the Champions of Azeroth, especially the Paladin players, who are required to be Pure of Heart in order to wield the Ashbringer.
    Ya but Uther had all of that and in the end gave into his own corrupt thoughts about Arthas in the afterlife.

The ring would absolutely beast anyone from the WoW universe.

The best I could say, as I said before, would be Jaina and Thrall refusing to take the ring at all. That's the best case scenario.

Maybe Chromie could destroy it, as she wouldn't fall into the corruption, but no one from Azeroth would be able to refuse the ring(with the exception of Thrall and Jaina). They always seek power which is exactly what the ring promises.

7+ Year Old Account
    The Ashbringer only won because of its power being infused into Tirions Faith. It's part of what made the weapon so damn powerful to begin with. It was also made by a Naaru's Heart and pure Emotion. The Naaru alone are beings of pure Light, one of the only beings of Pure Light that are able to exist in the Physical Universe.

Also, he didn't want to kill them in those times. He wanted to kill them all himself at the Frozen Throne, and he wanted to see just how full of potential these Heroes would be. He himself even said he would raise them as his champions, with Tirion being the first victim against their relentless onslaught across all of Azeroth.

It was a sick game of irony and evil orchestrated by the Lich King.
    And this sick game backfired spectacularly. He basically engineered his own defeat.

7+ Year Old Account
    Only because of the Light and Tirions hope. The Lich King got arrogant and didn't think Tirion would end up that strong, especially in such a dark place, with no holy ground whatsoever.
    Still, the result is the same. If he didn't factor something in his plan the it is on him.