Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by liyroot View Post
    The people who quit the game don't have self control? Also, $150 bucks for free mounts. Ha..
    Well you did say you played longer then most of us here despite quitting in Cataclysm. Ignoring that attempt at bragging people that have an addictive personality will just find something else to obsess over unless they seek help for the underlying issue. Addiction. $150 for $100 in mount ($25 standard store price) value and 12 months of entertainment is relatively cheap. A trip to dinner and a movie can often cost more than that.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Well you did say you played longer then most of us here despite quitting in Cataclysm. Ignoring that attempt at bragging people that have an addictive personality will just find something else to obsess over unless they seek help for the underlying issue. Addiction. $150 for $100 in mount ($25 standard store price) value and 12 months of entertainment is relatively cheap. A trip to dinner and a movie can often cost more than that.
    That's so funny. I recently made the exact argument defending another game. I've said it a few times. If you're playing WoW, enjoy this sub. It's perfect for you. If you're a new player, I wouldn't let anyone I know start playing WoW.

I'm actually surprised how few new players on on this forum. I'm sitting here talking to old-heads who have all been playing since forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, why are you calling me an addict? You've clearly spent 1000x times longer than I have on the game.
    Can't believe I have to do this kind of shit but okay, time to find your quote. Your own damn statement.
    I was addicted for years and I want to help others escape too. Blizz uses every psychological trick in the book to make players into addicted consumers and it makes me angry. So I write about it here.
    Who's the addict here?
    Apparently, you were at some point.

Don't stoop to pretending to care about someone's mental well being. It makes you sound like a jerk and a creep.
    So another person cannot make actual worries about others without sounding self-glorifying and gloating? Gotcha. Aaand more insults.

Who have I insulted? I'm not trying to make you angry.
    I believe post 279, claiming people to be losers in a statement of yourself as well. This post of course is also flagged for trolling behavior. No, you are indeed not making me angry. You are making me worried, confused, and slightly annoyed.

You're the one calling me crazy for talking on a forum lol.
    Citation needed. For I have not made such a statement.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Thirtyrock View Post
    Hi, are you new to the forum? This forum is about 75% haters and 15% people who are playing right now but won't be around in a year (probably me) and 10% die hards.

Yes, I see your 7 year badge, yes that's sarcasm. The point stands.

And my point stands as well. Moving along.
    Be careful who you chat it up with here on these forums. If you are NOT for WoW and about WoW, people will report whatever you say and get you banned

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    The game devs have NOTHING to do with the sub offers. They are developing the game. Business decisions like a 1 year sub is made by the bean counters.
    Of course, but those two groups are talking, or rather their representatives are. And if the Devs (i.e. Ion) say "We think we need 8 month till the next major patch", the bean counters have to think of ways to mitigate the money loss. This thing could be such a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    Of course, but those two groups are talking, or rather their representatives are. And if the Devs (i.e. Ion) say "We think we need 8 month till the next major patch", the bean counters have to think of ways to mitigate the money loss. This thing could be such a way.
    This line of thinking only works if you subscribe (heh) to the insanely stupid idea that people who buy 12-month subs have no idea that subscription lasts 12 months and they would have otherwise quit the game in the meantime. And while I do think the average WoW player leaves a lot to be desired in the intellect department, I'm not so cynical to believe this to be the case for a majority of players buying the 12-month sub. Most people buying the 12-month subscription buy it because they would have stayed subscribed for 12 months anyway.

"Please leave the forum! This is where I go to circle jerk about WoW. My ego can't handle anything that call in to question the life decisions I've made!"
    seems like YOUR ego cant handle people disagreeing with you, or the fact (bcs thats not even opinion, thats a fact) that just bcs YOU PERSONALY were addicted doesnt mean everybody else is...
    some people sure are, some people simply play and have fun...
    Last edited by Lolites; 2022-11-04 at 02:55 PM.

Its either them trying to boost profit numbers for the 4th quarter of the year, or because they have very little confidence that DF content will keep people around. Its probably a bit of both, win win for them.

The people who quit the game don't have self control?
    nice putting words into my mouth - people who buy year subscription for game they dont intend (or dont know if they will) play for that year have no self control...
    also, people who quit the game YEARS AGO and still come to forums to tell others how they are wrong, and that they are not have fun but are addicted, bcs you see into others people head aparently, lack self control COMPLETELY, among other things...

$150 bucks for free mounts.
    nope, 150$ for subscription people would pay anyway, and on top of that free mounts... if thats beyond your understanding thats just sad...

- - - Updated - - -

BoE gear and mounts. Etc.
    ah yes, those things that are ingame since vanila were introduced to increase sales for token that wasnt added until wod, makes complete sense... /s

I'm honestly happy you're having such a great time that you come on the forums to defend it.
    i wouldnt say "your lack of selfcontrol is YOUR issue" is defense of the game, its just admiting unpleasant (to you) reality... its true about everything, wow included but not exclusively...
    if you cant handle reality i am trully sorry for you, and you should seek profesional help otherwise it might end poorly for you...

5+ Year Old Account
    "You quit WoW and now you're talking about it on the WoW forum? You must be sick. Get some help. I'm not the addict (played for over 10 years) you are."
    That's like saying if I quit crack I shouldn't tell other people to quit crack.
    We've all been addicts at some point. But when people who have managed to quit <insert drug of your choice here> tell other, current addicts that the stuff won't do them any favours in the long run, the usual answer is "no, I'm not addicted, it's my money and I do what I like 11!!!1", or (with luck) "I can control it!" - cue a gorillion of posts defending the dealer. It's just standard behaviour.
    Last edited by Soon-TM; 2022-11-04 at 03:55 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    We've all been addicts at some point. But when people who have managed to quit <insert drug of your choice here> tell other, current addicts that the stuff won't do them any favours in the long run, the usual answer is "no, I'm not addicted, it's my money and I do what I like 11!!!1", or (with luck) "I can control it!" - cue a gorillion of posts defending the dealer. It's just standard behaviour.
    It is silly to call anyone who is happy playing a game an addict that has no control over how and where they spend money. It really shows that people are still addicted despite claims of beating it. Because they have to demonize rather then just accept it is no longer something they enjoy. That they are the better person for "escaping" the game while others who still enjoy it have to be addicted instead of just enjoying something they do not.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    So there is no benefit, if you ignore the benefits... good to know?
    Are you purposefully being obtuse? If not try to reread the OP. It seemed clear that the reference was that there isn't a financial benefit to getting 1 year vs 6 months besides the bait.

I am sure you are not that dense, you just want to be cool by acting like a fool
    "Peace is a lie"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It is silly to call anyone who is happy playing a game an addict that has no control over how and where they spend money. It really shows that people are still addicted despite claims of beating it. Because they have to demonize rather then just accept it is no longer something they enjoy. That they are the better person for "escaping" the game while others who still enjoy it have to be addicted instead of just enjoying something they do not.
    Basically what's going on within recent posts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by davesurfer View Post
    Are you purposefully being obtuse? If not try to reread the OP. It seemed clear that the reference was that there isn't a financial benefit to getting 1 year vs 6 months besides the bait.

I am sure you are not that dense, you just want to be cool by acting like a fool
    Well, same savings except you get more mounts?
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by davesurfer View Post

Lol what? They did not say "there is no financial benefit" they said "there is NO benefit" you gunna try to white knight make sure your accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

Threads just gonna be a bunch of addicts on copium saying "FrEe sTuFf r GuD wUd haF spEnt mOnE aNyWay"
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2022-11-04 at 05:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Threads just gonna be a bunch of addicts on copium saying "FrEe sTuFf r GuD wUd haF spEnt mOnE aNyWay"
    But the statement you so clearly are mocking isn't wrong if someone players a year without this offer, they would have spent more in the first place? With this offer, they pay for a little over 10 months, and get five (5), I believe, mounts for free? Quite big savings.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive View Post
    And my point stands as well. Moving along.
    You're literally claiming that the OP is speaking to an audience who will take any criticism as negative. That's not MMO-Champion. It's just not true.

Here are the top forum posts according to my filters (i filter out most class and non Retail and non wow stuff)
    Dragonflight Alpha/Beta General Discussion
    Dragonflight Twitch Drops
    DF Seasno 1 Class Sets Catalyst Progres
    Broken Transmog promises
    Is the Sub-based monthluy model outdated?
    1 year sub plan is here.. yikes
    I think there are too many talent points

3 of those are recent news events, most comments are people bitching.
    4 of them are threads where people are explicitly bitching.

No, this is not a site populated primarily by people who think the WoW devs can do no wrong. Yes, someone who thinks "oh my god, they're OFFERING as ONE OPTION AMONG MANY" a yearly subscription is a "yikes" moment is over reacting.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's why I'm upset. Instead of playing wow for a year last year. I quit. Using that suddenly available 2-3 free hours a day I learned Japanese. Now I can read and speak Japanese fluently. Next year, instead of giving Activision-Blizzard $300 and hundreds of hours of my precious life, I'm going to travel Japan.

I was addicted for years and I want to help others escape too. Blizz uses every psychological trick in the book to make players into addicted consumers and it makes me angry. So I write about it here.
    Ok...Do you do this for every bad habit people have, or do you have a special fascination with World of Warcraft? I think the fact that some people CHOOSE (not are forced to due to financial or other circumstances) to eat fast food as their primary source of calories is a catastrophically bad life choice. I'm not going to forums to complain about the tactics those companies use to sell their food.

Maybe I should, I don't know.

I like playing WoW, it's a great release for me. I can see how some people over indulge, just like with anything. I don't. I play 4-8 hours per week in a typical week. I spend far more time outdoors and on my primary hobby of brazilian jiu jitsu. A year long subscription is convenient for me; I'm glad they offered it.

- - - Updated - - -

I moved to the country so yeah I'll use that $300. After I quit WoW my life became extremely great. A lot of people don't wanna hear it. I aint mad at you though. Y'all keep living your best life.

BTW, WoW is evil. Not sure why you think a bunch of Psych PhDs, ivy league business majors and an endless army of lawyers has your best interest at heart. The game developers aren't making the big decisions, that's for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I never unlocked any races because after a week of monotony I quit. I'd rather try to get rid of all the cocaine in Jony Deeps carpet with a pair of tweezers than do WoW dailies.
    I think you're coming from a place that a lot of recovering addicts come from. "It was bad for me, therefore it HAS TO BE BAD FOR EVERYONE". And that just isn't true. WoW is actually pretty healthy for me. It's a good outlet. When I don't have a steady video game to play, I end up spending far more money trying to FIND one to play because I'll buy a ton of games and play them for 4 or 5 hours and never pick them up again. All the time, I'm frustrated because I miss playing with my WoW friends. And, again, I play 4-8 hours most weeks.

I feel for you, but don't project your difficulties onto me. I don't struggle with what you're struggling with.

Congratulations on your move to Japan, that's amazing!

Here's why I'm upset. Instead of playing wow for a year last year. I quit. Using that suddenly available 2-3 free hours a day I learned Japanese. Now I can read and speak Japanese fluently. Next year, instead of giving Activision-Blizzard $300 and hundreds of hours of my precious life, I'm going to travel Japan.

Im just gonna quote this one but reference all the other things you have said.

So you seem to have some problems with your story, according to this post you have yet to go to Japan but later claim to live there. Did you set up your story incorrectly?

You also claim to have quit in legion after being addicted for years and realizing when extra races came out that blizzard was making you "grind just to play the game" which is false in itself. It was a grind to unlock what is effectively a cosmetic. But if you were addicted for years and playing hours a day you would have had these reps already complete and instantly had them unlocked. You also mentioned becoming super casual in cata but were super addicted. So what does a super addicted casual look like exactly?

Multiple posts implying how $300 a year is a big deal because you keep bringing the number up tells me you probably don't live alone. Let me tell you if $300 fell in my lap right now nothing about my day to day would change.

I think you have an agenda and that its you no longer like wow, you in fact hate wow and need to convince yourself that your hate is justified. Calling wow "evil" and the supporting evidence being things like "Every design decision in this game is made by the bean counters man. " and "Blizz introduced countless system into the game to trick you into paying for the token guy. Garrisons, BoE gear and mounts. Etc. They disguised the cash shop as the auction house. If you don't believe that is true, there is no help you for. " which in that example alone all 3 listed things existed before the token... sooooo yikes. Also a post equating to blizzard not having your best interests at heart. No shit sherlock welcome to consumerism where companies what to provide goods we want not so we are happy but so they make money. Your complaint boils down to entertainment is evil so I guess you are evil too since you are making a game presumably you want people to want.
    Last edited by Elbob; 2022-11-04 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    This line of thinking only works if you subscribe (heh) to the insanely stupid idea that people who buy 12-month subs have no idea that subscription lasts 12 months and they would have otherwise quit the game in the meantime. And while I do think the average WoW player leaves a lot to be desired in the intellect department, I'm not so cynical to believe this to be the case for a majority of players buying the 12-month sub. Most people buying the 12-month subscription buy it because they would have stayed subscribed for 12 months anyway.
    Exactly! Between tiers, if I'm playing, I'm playing the AH because for me it's fun to make gold and there's good opportunity between tiers. I also just like hanging with my guild. The guild is what keeps me in game, not the game itself. When I haven't had a guild that I've enjoyed and felt connected to, I've quit, for years at a time.

I know that I'm going to be with this guild a while, so I'm fine for the 12 months. It's a good value TO ME. But I would NOT have said the same thing at the launch of SL. I actually quit because the guild I was in for CN progression fell apart after we got AOTC. I knew it was likely, so I would not have bought more than a 6 month sub at the time.

I make decisions. Can I be wrong, yes, but I'm not having my ear twisted into this decision.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elbob View Post
    Im just gonna quote this one but reference all the other things you have said.

So you seem to have some problems with your story, according to this post you have yet to go to Japan but later claim to live there. Did you set up your story incorrectly?

You also claim to have quit in legion after being addicted for years and realizing when extra races came out that blizzard was making you "grind just to play the game" which is false in itself. It was a grind to unlock what is effectively a cosmetic. But if you were addicted for years and playing hours a day you would have had these reps already complete and instantly had them unlocked. You also mentioned becoming super casual in cata but were super addicted. So what does a super addicted casual look like exactly?

Multiple posts implying how $300 a year is a big deal because you keep bringing the number up tells me you probably don't live alone. Let me tell you if $300 fell in my lap right now nothing about my day to day would change.

I think you have an agenda and that its you no longer like wow, you in fact hate wow and need to convince yourself that your hate is justified. Calling wow "evil" and the supporting evidence being things like "Every design decision in this game is made by the bean counters man. " and "Blizz introduced countless system into the game to trick you into paying for the token guy. Garrisons, BoE gear and mounts. Etc. They disguised the cash shop as the auction house. If you don't believe that is true, there is no help you for. " which in that example alone all 3 listed things existed before the token... sooooo yikes. Also a post equating to blizzard not having your best interests at heart. No shit sherlock welcome to consumerism where companies what to provide goods we want not so we are happy but so they make money. Your complaint boils down to entertainment is evil so I guess you are evil too since you are making a game presumably you want people to want.
    They also explicitly stated that they quit in Cata and were just WAY better off and never came back. And that they quit in Legion and were just WAY better off and never came back. Beginning to think they might not be truthful...I know, I know, Honest Abe said not to believe everything you read on the internet.

I responded seriously to this individual several times. I wish I hadn't wasted the breath. They seem to either have an unhealthy co-dependent relationship with the game or they are just a troll.

How is a mount considered a reward at this point in your life. Everyone on this thread is in their 30s. Can someone explain to me the joy of getting a mount when you have a countless list of unused ones? Add one more to the pile. Then what?
    That's how I feel. I get a mount, I get excited about it, I get bored with it in a matter of weeks. Go back to using the same 1-3 mounts.