Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Chances are with the new expansion on the horizon I'll be playing the majority of the next 12 months off and on and with the 1 year subscription you save a bit of money annually. Not saying I'll be picking it up, but it's an option for those that will, if you don't like it, don't subscribe for the year, then no harm done really.

Quote Originally Posted by cantrip View Post
    Short before they release their worst expac ever which ignores the existence of casual gamers in endgame which will lead to free to play in the end they want to sell a sub for a year plan.

Hope noone buys that.
    Awww, sorry to disappoint you, I already did.

And it can't be worse than WoD unless they literally don't release the expansion, imo.

- - - Updated - - -

We already had invasions, world quests and any kind of "events" in BFA and before. Do not try to argue the removal of gameplay as like Torghast, Warfronts or Islands with something that was not removed in the process of "streamlining development costs" from the devs. Up to that point they will focus entirely on dungeons and raids only. Really, i believe the devs will simply remove leveling and the open world itself in their endless stupidity at some point to have more time to design dungeons and raids.

Yeah, you have to do "something", which means you have to invest some time. But neither skill. Nor any other effort than "white hit mob xyz so it drops quest item". World questing content (and all derived styles from it) is simply boring. Nothing engaing about it. Not really replayable. Heck, not even any ongoing narratives which tell any useful story other than "thanks for saving the turtles".. It is an abnomination as like LFR is.

They simply should design a fun game for many rather than a chore for many and stop limiting the fun game part to premade groups only.

Well, you literally said "every wish matters", which is like repeating Blizzards PR-Mantra "every voice matters", while the truth is "no other voice matters than blizzards". And no, i doubt you will quit. You say you will quit. But you are already way too engaged into the game than to quit it easily.

Beside that this thread is about a year sub plan, where i simply say people should avoid it as the future will be like a few hundred thousand players will be the ones that stay in the game, as there is absolutely no hope the game will survive the hype for more than a few weeks. So no, do not buy a year sub. Simply resub the months you really play. Will save you a lot of money. Especially if you are a casual gamer that has no gameplay other than "send turtles into the water" in endgame.
    Oh, lord. Some of this is just demonstrably false.

IIRC, WotLK launched with like 10 dungeons that could be run before lvl 80 and then Cataclysm & MoP had a similar, though slightly lower, number.
    Now we get 4 leveling dungeons and 4 end game at launch. They deliberately made a move to put out FEWER dungeons and more content outside of the dungeons and they've stuck with that decision, despite how I'd prefer it to be. I wish I could level exclusively as a tank through dungeons and then quest afterwards as I feel like it.

You can't have casual content that requires a lot of skill. Those are mutually exclusive goals. Mage tower was not casual. It was just non-group content. So are you asking for more SOLO content or are you asking for more casual content? Because if you want more SOLO content, I can agree with you. I loved Torghast, I loved Mage Tower. I like stuff like that. If you want more Casual content...but also don't want "welfare epics"...and you want a challenge...well, you're looking for ocean front property in Arizona.

I'm an AOTC/Mythic (not CE) raider. I feel like there's TONS to do when my 1 night a week guild isn't raiding. There's TONS to do that isn't raiding or M+.

People have been claiming the end of WoW since the launch of TBC. I'll believe it when I see it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drudi View Post
    The mounts add literally zero value so it does not matter what they are sold for. There are only a few unique mount capabilities (flying ability, speed, water walking ability, ability to carry a passenger, to harvest without dismounting and pretty much that’s it). This means once you have a mount with each of this capabilities, no extra mount would add anything to your in-game performance.

Speaking realistically, you can cut out niche ones (water walking is niche in itself and double-niche as only viable in no-fly zones; passenger is hardly useful; harvesting might not be applicable to a char at all). So once you have a max speed flying mount - you need no other and they don’t add value, be it $50 or 25 or free.
    I don't know, I find the super cute beetle mount I just got to be pretty damn valuable. It's my new favorite mount and probably will be for a while. You don't value it...don't buy it. I was excited to get it with a subscription that I was going to purchase anyway.

I don't WANT to be able to pay money to get performance benefits. If it wasn't for the incontrovertible fact that SOMEONE is going to sell gold for real money, I'd be very much against Blizzard doing it because gold can be used to buy gear, which is a performance benefit.

The mounts add the same value as every other piece of cosmetic gear/material. They're something pretty to look at while you do in-game stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drudi View Post
    They are, in fact, failing for that bait. Regardless of you thinking or not about them that way.

Do I have to remind you about the very first paid mount, $25 celestial charger? Which was in fact marketed as a “super unique mount that makes your character really different” - resulting in about 30% of the populace riding the same “unique” mount at release day?

Have you heard the anecdote about two cowboys that dared each other to eat bull shit? Well blizzard pretty much did exactly this in reality with that celestial mount.

- - - Updated - - -

Another bait victim.

The fact that somebody TRIES TO SELL something for $25 does not automatically means that something having $25 value.
    What makes it a $25 value is the customer base's willingness to spend $25 on it. Period.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah. As there aren't thousand others already.

I am sure that <insert generic recolored mount here> is worth one year of sub, while it is not clear yet if WoW will go free to play after Dragonflight cannot adress many gamers for longer.
    You keep mentioning WoW going F2P. Do you have ANY actual evidence for this? I'd be interested to see it. I think if they already had plans to go F2P and they knowingly released a year sub that covered the time in which they were launching F2P, they'd be opening themselves to some pretty significant class-action suits.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thundering View Post
    Problem is they dont seem to understand that running the same thing over and over is boring. I think Classic vanilla was better in this since the only pve content that got run over and over in the same way was raids.
    Since most dungeons took 1h+ to do you never grew as tired on them as you do with the current 15min runs.
    Also the world content both in professions and events in vanilla was great.
    And the old style av was much more fun.
    All of this created a good balance of different kind of content.

If blizzard was smart a mythic dungeon would be more similar to a classic dungeon where you can expect a slow pace, having to spend around 3h+ in the dungeon to do it all. Using everything you got to stop runners and the need of CC etc.
    I will NEVER spend 3+ hours in a 5 man dungeon again. Ever. Period. I think they could do SOMETHING to make M+ a bit more appealing to me, like let me actually mark the routes I want to tank visually somehow so I don't have to have it completely memorized, risk missing percent, or keep opening MDT over and over. That's my only real complaint for M+: as a tank I need a better way to plan routes without having to hold it all in my head or stop to look at notes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lochton View Post
    Why is it people keep seeing this so wrong?

The mounts are a bonus, you pay for 10 months, AND then you get some 5+ mounts/items on top for free. The sheer fact that you get 2 months for free if you believe you are going to play for a year, already saving money on top of the free crap. And World of Warcraft is still able to compete nicely with its competitors, and unlike its competitors, its subscription model works fine.
    Because they want to bitch. Period. They think that if they don't value something it has no value, but they don't understand what the word value means as most commonly used.

I don't smoke. I find cigarettes to be pretty gross. I recognize they have monetary value despite that. These individuals can't seem to make that connection.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I was going to get the 1 year plan with my Bnet balance from getting the Physical DF CE, Turns out you can't use Bnet balance so rip.
    This is my biggest complaint about this. I can't use tokens I purchase with gold and then turn to bnet balance to make certain purchase types, like subscriptions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    It's just a reskinned gronnling though.
    That's...like saying a wolf is a reskinned panther...

I wish there was a max exodus just so monthly prices would lower
    we need more love in our hearts

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    https://eu.shop.battle.net/en-gb/fam...ld-of-warcraft

Apparently a new 1 year plan that includes the murloc mount is out.

Am I being too negative if I'm too say that it's bait to lock people into a shitfest?

Also, as opposed to the other plans there is no other value in getting the 12 month over the 6 month.
    I mean, ofcourse it is? It's marketing, to get people to pay for 12 months who would have otherwise unsubbed after 3-4 by offering additional incentive.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that though, just good marketing. It's not predatory, it's not fomo. It's just a deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackDruid96 View Post
    I wish there was a max exodus just so monthly prices would lower
    Mass leaving? They won't drive the prices down. As well, WoW hasn't had a price increase in a long time, so, we're good.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Well, it is your money.

Oh it can be worse than WoD. At least there were Garrisons in WoD. You do not even get that in Dragonflight.
    I think your reply proves why being upset that they are OFFERING this is silly. I think garrisons were one of the, if not the, biggest waste of resources we’ve seen in WoW history. I thought they were stupid then and I think they’re stupid now. I think player housing if any sort is stupid and unnecessary.

A lot of people disagree with me.

You don’t like the year subscription and you don’t like the mounts offered with it. Fine, don’t buy them. I think it’s a good value.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirtyrock View Post
    I think your reply proves why being upset that they are OFFERING this is silly. I think garrisons were one of the, if not the, biggest waste of resources we’ve seen in WoW history. I thought they were stupid then and I think they’re stupid now. I think player housing if any sort is stupid and unnecessary.

A lot of people disagree with me.

You don’t like the year subscription and you don’t like the mounts offered with it. Fine, don’t buy them. I think it’s a good value.
    Imagine getting locked for 12 months just handling garrisons in WoD. That would be pretty good value too, just throw in a couple mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Imagine getting locked for 12 months just handling garrisons in WoD. That would be pretty good value too, just throw in a couple mounts.
    I don’t know or want to know your financial situation. Knowing my past with WoW it would take another WoD level catastrophe for me not to be playing the majority of the next 12 months.

For me it’s not a large bet and if I lose I won’t be mad. For you it might be different because you weigh the risk or reward differently or your financial situation may not offer as much freedom. Fine.

But why is them OFFERING it to me a bad thing? If I make a bad bet, that’s on me.

- - - Updated - - -

No, not really. The biggest waste of resources was a new UI while mods do that way better and a new talent tree while most players simply copy paste cookie cutter builds.

At least it would be something for casual gamers. Currently, dragonflight has nothing for casual gamers as endgame beside a few stupid world quests.

No, it is not really a good value if you expect dragonflight to fail. I do that. I think it will have its initial hype and then people will leave again in droves, disappointed. As like they did in Shadowlands.
    Ok. You disagree with me on what is important and valuable from a game design perspective. Can you acknowledge that this is a subjective values decision and that neither your opinion is gospel? Like that’s my point.

I actually really like the new UI. Yea, i could do more with addons, but I don’t feel the NEED for them. I am satisfied with getting rid of bartender, elvui, and some others and playing with a lighter overall add on load. That’s a preference thing and I didn’t feel like I had this as an option before the redesign. Now I do. Simple as that. Some people loved garrisons, I hated them so so so much. Different values. Different gaming styles.

You don’t think the 12 month subscription is a good investment. That’s fine. I even respect it as a stance. But to say the fact that they’re offering it is exploitative or manipulation or something is silly. Unless, as I asked you earlier, you have solid evidence that they’re going to move to F2P within the next 12 months.
    Like, understand this: I might place a different monetary value on things like mounts than you and THAT’S OK!!!

You think the expansion will flop. You might be right. I STILL think I’ll play most of the next year because I enjoy my guild. So the year subscription basically just pays for my time hanging with the guild. That’s valuable to me even if the expansion gets pretty boring/stagnant. Maybe you’re a loner or don’t like group content or just can’t find a guild you love, whatever, so you base your value proposition on something else, like whatever you define as casual content. Fine. I don’t care.

But please don’t judge those of us who run a different calculus than you. Say your piece “I don’t think it’s worth it because XYZ” and move along. Don’t add the next line “and you’re stupid if you think it is” which is what you and several other naysayers in this thread are either explicitly or implicitly stating.

You do you. I respect that.

Give me the same courtesy.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirtyrock View Post
    I don’t know or want to know your financial situation. Knowing my past with WoW it would take another WoD level catastrophe for me not to be playing the majority of the next 12 months.

For me it’s not a large bet and if I lose I won’t be mad. For you it might be different because you weigh the risk or reward differently or your financial situation may not offer as much freedom. Fine.

But why is them OFFERING it to me a bad thing? If I make a bad bet, that’s on me.
    Oh, it is indeed completely fine and on you for doing questionable investments. It is your money after all.

Pretending that we are talking about Blizzard of a decade or more ago, however, it's plain silly and people are expected to point and laugh at those who do.

As far as their lately performance go, the only thing they are OFFERING you is the act of locking your subscription during possible WoD/Shadowlands-quality content and REMOVING your ability of voting with your wallet if the mediocrity does continue.

If that's still a really good deal, my brother in Christ, I'd be concerned.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is no subjective values decision if i say that most people use cookie cutter builds and therefore a new talent system is a wasted effort. It is also no subjective value decision if i say that a new UI will never have the flexbility and power of a modded UI.

You asked if there were more resources wasted compared to garrison. And yes, the new UI and the new talent trees are more resources wasted. Garrison at least gave gameplay. What kind of gameplay gives a new default UI which is mediocre compared to a modded UI? And what kind of gameplay does the new talent system give for most players if theorycrafting is only done by less than 1% of the players?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, you do you. Waste your money for whatever dull and boring game you want to waste it for. I know there is even less gameplay for me in Dragonflight than in WoD. Especially if former incarnations of the game did offer more and still were boring. See shadowlands. I surely would not invest a year of subs in the hype period of an even worse expac for sure.
    The majority of the playerbase doesn't use a modded UI / addons.

- - - Updated - - -

No, it is not really a good value if you expect dragonflight to fail. I do that. I think it will have its initial hype and then people will leave again in droves, disappointed. As like they did in Shadowlands.
    I really can't fathom why people who don't enjoy the game still play it, or follow it - let alone keep discussing it on a fansite. Such weird behavior.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Oh, it is indeed completely fine and on you for doing questionable investments. It is your money after all.

Pretending that we are talking about Blizzard of a decade or more ago, however, it's plain silly and people are expected to point and laugh at those who do.

As far as their lately performance go, the only thing they are OFFERING you is the act of locking your subscription during possible WoD/Shadowlands-quality content and REMOVING your ability of voting with your wallet if the mediocrity does continue.

If that's still a really good deal, my brother in Christ, I'd be concerned.
    Lol, again, I'm almost certainly going to be in game one way or another because I play to hang out with my guild. It's not a risky bet for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    It's very good you came to terms with your adiction. I'm sure there are others who would greatly benefit from it. I have a friend who is out of a job since covid and that is all he does and he knows it's bad, but he's aware it's his coping mechanism, not the cause for his situation.

Either way, people are different - in their interests, time planning, succeptibility, responsability. Maybe you can indeed help those like you.
    Thanks for saying that! That is humbling. I need to learn to be less abrasive.
    I'll just keep telling my story and maybe 1 person you needed a kick will get it. Life is about making goals. Why WoW can be bad is that it creates a bunch of artificial goals for you to accomplish while requiring very low energy to do so. In fact, you can do everything in WoW while sitting down and using very low brain power.

You can trade WoW for IRL and make hard goals. My goals was to learn to code. To learn Japanese and move to Japan. And now it is to teach myself linear algebra. I still have a lot of code and Japanese and math to learn. But just like in the Sims, if you spend time leveling up it will pay off.

Blizz and other giant game companies don't want you to think like that. They want you to think, "If I buy this 1 year sub I get 3 mounts for free!". It isn't free. It costs the most important resource in existence. Your life. Your time. And Blizzard gets rich off of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    I really can't fathom why people who don't enjoy the game still play it, or follow it - let alone keep discussing it on a fansite. Such weird behavior.
    The answer to this is always some variation of, "I want WoW to get better again and it won't as long as people are happy with the current product."

It's the same weird objectifying behavior overprotective ex-boyfriends have in relationships. People spend so much time in WoW that once they move on they feel like they owe it to themselves to spend the entirety of their lives campaigning against it, desperately seeking validation by typing "DAE Blizzard bad?" for the 493rd time in a day. There are literal YouTube empires built on the backs of people like this who want nothing more than a 24/7 drip feed of people reinforcing their negative opinions.

It is no subjective values decision if i say that most people use cookie cutter builds and therefore a new talent system is a wasted effort. It is also no subjective value decision if i say that a new UI will never have the flexbility and power of a modded UI.

You asked if there were more resources wasted compared to garrison. And yes, the new UI and the new talent trees are more resources wasted. Garrison at least gave gameplay. What kind of gameplay gives a new default UI which is mediocre compared to a modded UI? And what kind of gameplay does the new talent system give for most players if theorycrafting is only done by less than 1% of the players?
    OK dude or dudette -
    First, I'm going to help you with a few things here because these words don't mean what you think they mean -
    Subjective vs objective - https://www.dictionary.com/e/subjective-vs-objective/
    Value - https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/value

Second, I actually acknowledge that addons are more flexible than even the improved base ui. Like I literally said that in the post you quoted. I didn't argue that point.
    I ALSO said I was happy with the base UI now that they've updated it. By clipping my reply where you did you are showing you either didn't read the full thing or that you are intentionally intellectually dishonest. I didn't call the capabilities of addons vs the native UI a subjective values decision. I said that not NEEDING addons was a preference. Different Values...etc.

Third, here's the definition of opinion, because you seem confused here as well. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/opinion
    Your OPINION is that Garrisons were worth more than the new UI and talent trees. My opinion is the exact opposite. How do we solve this connundrum, we don't. We disagree. Neither of us are right or wrong because these ARE OPINIONS.
    Last edited by Thirtyrock; 2022-11-07 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    The answer to this is always some variation of, "I want WoW to get better again and it won't as long as people are happy with the current product."

It's the same weird objectifying behavior overprotective ex-boyfriends have in relationships. People spend so much time in WoW that once they move on they feel like they owe it to themselves to spend the entirety of their lives campaigning against it, desperately seeking validation by typing "DAE Blizzard bad?" for the 493rd time in a day. There are literal YouTube empires built on the backs of people like this who want nothing more than a 24/7 drip feed of people reinforcing their negative opinions.
    I think your take is wrong. Let's use you for example. You've been on this forum for 10 years and you actively spend time defending the game. It seems like you are extremely active on here. Why do you feel the need to argue with people on a fansite? Have you convinced even 1 person that WoW is a good game and they should play it?

You have fun writing about your opinion on the internet and so do other people. No need to say its "weird behavior". Especially since you are on the forums more than anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Not always. I want WoW to DIAF, so I cheer when the devs do something idiotic. More fuel for pyre!
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by liyroot View Post
    Blizz and other giant game companies don't want you to think like that. They want you to think, "If I buy this 1 year sub I get 3 mounts for free!". It isn't free. It costs the most important resource in existence. Your life. Your time. And Blizzard gets rich off of it.
    There are people in life that are successful and play video games. Just because you couldn't play a video game and do all of those things doesn't mean others can not. This subscription doesn't change anything either because it is just two 6-month subscriptions. If the game is as addicting as you say then people who bought a 6-month subscription likely would have bought a second one, right? So there is no real change with the new promotion except for Blizzard to give out more mounts.

Most companies wants to get rich off of people consuming their product. They aren't charities. Video games exist as entertainment and make money off of people playing.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    There are people in life that are successful and play video games. Just because you couldn't play a video game and do all of those things doesn't mean others can not. This subscription doesn't change anything either because it is just two 6-month subscriptions. If the game is as addicting as you say then people who bought a 6-month subscription likely would have bought a second one, right? So there is no real change with the new promotion except for Blizzard to give out more mounts.

Most companies wants to get rich off of people consuming their product. They aren't charities. Video games exist as entertainment and make money off of people playing.
    I'm not talking about success. That's an abstract binary term. And I'm not talking Henry Cavill here. I'm talking about normal men like you and I.

As far as you are concerned, I want you keep playing the game. I hope there are 17 more years of expansions for you to enjoy. You have struck the rare gold vein of playing the game and feeling fulfilled in your life.
    Stereotypically, people who play WoW seem to be less happy with where they are. Most people have big dreams that are always out of reach. To those people, I say don't buy a 1 year sub. Just quit and spend all of that time working and your dream will happen.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by liyroot View Post
    Stereotypically, people who play WoW seem to be less happy with where they are. Most people have big dreams that are always out of reach. To those people, I say don't buy a 1 year sub. Just quit and spend all of that time working and your dream will happen.
    So you are not talking about success but talking about their dream coming true? As in being successful at making that a reality? Again. There are plenty of people that can play WoW and do things in life. There is nothing that says WoW players are less happy then non-wow players. You are making things up to fit your bias.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    So you are not talking about success but talking about their dream coming true? As in being successful at making that a reality? Again. There are plenty of people that can play WoW and do things in life. There is nothing that says WoW players are less happy then non-wow players. You are making things up to fit your bias.
    You really think that? There is no goal in life that you haven't achieved yet? Not one skill? You never wanted to learn a language or an instrument. Travel to another country and made friends with locals? You're a master at your profession? There isn't some promotion or other career you would like to have if you could? You don't have a weight issue or a drinking issue? You're not abusing Netflix or youtube or porn? Do you have a perfect relationship with your spouse, children, or neighbors? You have perfect charisma and people flock toward you where ever you are? Are you well read? Have you fully consumed the deep wealthy of history and philosophy that your ancestors have left to be inherited by you?
    Have you taken a look at yourself, at your own two hands, and decided that this was the best way you could live your one short life. Of all your potential, this was what was worth your effort?

There is nothing in the world you'd rather do than play World of Warcraft?