Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Someone said what makes this show good is that its a project where all the actors are killing it. Not something that happens in SW so they are probably right. People are so used to cutting SW slack because its SW but now we have a taste of what SW looks like when everyone is on point. Andor busted the curve for future projects.

Episode 10 is going to be wild. We could very much see a lot of people die, I have Mon Mothma's family in the back of my mind because has to get to the Rebel leader we know.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Sorry, but Andor >>>>>>> Obi-wan Kenobi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KainneAbsolute View Post
    Sorry, but Andor >>>>>>> Obi-wan Kenobi
    That's not a huge achievement.

The only issue I have with Andor so far is too many plotlines.
    Otherwise it's a good, solid show, with good acting and decent plot.
    Kind of surprising, considering it's a SW show from the same guys who did utter garbage like Biba Fatt and Obiwhatever

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    That's not a huge achievement.
    Obviously, but after the mess Obi and Boba shows, the comparison weighs a LOT more to Andor's side.

The only "bad" (for me at least) thing with Andor is the weekly episode release. Would totally have been a better experience being released 3 episodes every 3 weeks. Small episodic arcs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fortress of Arrogance View Post
    The only issue I have with Andor so far is too many plotlines.
    Otherwise it's a good, solid show, with good acting and decent plot.
    Kind of surprising, considering it's a SW show from the same guys who did utter garbage like Biba Fatt and Obiwhatever
    Well, the Conroys didn't have anything to do with that crap you mentioned. The "same guys" probably are there as names in titles only, having to do nothing more with the show.
    /spit@Blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    Obviously, but after the mess Obi and Boba shows, the comparison weighs a LOT more to Andor's side.

The only "bad" (for me at least) thing with Andor is the weekly episode release. Would totally have been a better experience being released 3 episodes every 3 weeks. Small episodic arcs.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, the Conroys didn't have anything to do with that crap you mentioned. The "same guys" probably are there as names in titles only, having to do nothing more with the show.
    I was referring to Disney at large.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortress of Arrogance View Post
    I was referring to Disney at large.
    I know, i just wanted to exempt the Conroys from the rest of the lot.
    /spit@Blizzard

This show is clearly showing how outdated the all good Jedi vs all evil sith writing is. We need more nuance.

Quite incredible that the best star wars thing in the past decade is the furtherst from what make star wars star wars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezyah View Post
    This show is clearly showing how outdated the all good Jedi vs all evil sith writing is. We need more nuance.

Quite incredible that the best star wars thing in the past decade is the furtherst from what make star wars star wars.
    TBF the Jedi have been depicted as flawed in the prequels and sequels. Look is sort of the paragon.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    TBF the Jedi have been depicted as flawed in the prequels and sequels. Look is sort of the paragon.
    They are very unidimensional though and share mostly the same traits / flaws. This is making hard to make a character with a lot of personality.

15+ Year Old Account
    It fits with how a lot of the EU/Legends stories were. At least the Corran Horn one with the secret prison and tortue/brainwashing. Even the gangster/black-suns stuff would be a similar vibe. The show is a little more grim in some spots and less grandiose at times but we haven't seen the conclusion yet. If you go by just the movies? Sure. Because it isn't some grand struggle between two best of each side (well it sort of is but one side hasn't really formed yet). If you go by all the Star Wars stuff (even if no longer canon) then it still star wars.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2022-11-09 at 03:11 AM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    They are very unidimensional though and share mostly the same traits / flaws. This is making hard to make a character with a lot of personality.
    You know what...thats is fair.

- - - Updated - - -

I have praised this show every week and I will praise it again. No one excepted it to be this good.

Old Men Making Epic Speeches: The Episode

Also, I never appreciated just how thick Serkis's neck is until this episode.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Outside of the first 3 episodes, I think how the story has progressed has been perfect. The first three episodes I feel could have been condensed into two without loss, but since then this series has been great. It is sad that it isn't getting as much attention.

This is some of the best Star Wars content. Which isn't that surprising given Rogue One was the best of the Disney movies thus far.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    This is some of the best Star Wars content. Which isn't that surprising given Rogue One was the best of the Disney movies thus far.
    Rogue One is overrated. Solo is underappreciated.

There, I said it.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Rogue One is overrated. Solo is underappreciated.

There, I said it.
    I agree on the second part. Solo had a horrible development, should have been delayed to December when Episode 9 was delayed. And the lack of marketing didn't help it.

And I hate that Lucasfilm learned the wrong lesson from Solo. I haven't heard anyone complaining about a new actor as Han Solo, and yet they think that is why people didn't see Solo.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Star Wars is a movie about wizards punching Nazis.

Andor is a tv show about other people also wanting to punch Nazis. Other people might have to get a little more grimy to get the job done. Just remember Leia had to gamble everything to get the Death Star destroyed. This show really isn't all that detached from its roots.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post

Andor is a tv show about other people also wanting to punch Nazis. Other people might have to get a little more grimy to get the job done. Just remember Leia had to gamble everything to get the Death Star destroyed. This show really isn't all that detached from its roots.
    With Andor the stakes are more tangible. In the OT you had a planet destroying super weapon but other than that we really were just taking the movies word that the empire were bad guys.

Here we actually see how bad the empire is and without nescesarrily depicting the empire as 2 dimensional mustache twirling bad guys.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    With Andor the stakes are more tangible. In the OT you had a planet destroying super weapon but other than that we really were just taking the movies word that the empire were bad guys.

Here we actually see how bad the empire is and without nescesarrily depicting the empire as 2 dimensional mustache twirling bad guys.
    They tortured a prisoner and then blew up her home planet. They were looking to rule through fear and intimidation. That also includes their own forces. Their lead enforcer almost killed a highly placed officer on whim. That’s the original movie.

Andor didn’t need to underline that. They’re just doling it more slowly because they have 12 episodes to work with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post

All stories are stories if you ignore everything that makes them special.

Yes the Empire is still the enemy but the themes and character motivations of this show greatly differ from typical SW good-aligned heroes journeys (or tragedies in the case of Anakin).

The characters are nuanced. Themes mature. Star Wars is for the kids doesn't mean it's full of bright lights and colors, it means the issues are easy for a younger audience to digest. Clear good guys doing clearly good things, clear bad guys doing bad guy things, hope, friendship, all of that.

Andor and the prisoners were driven by the absence of hope. The prison was dark and disturbing and most of them really did not make it out but the ending was them dying on their terms.

Andor is not a good guy. His actions are mostly selfish and marginally benefit the people around him if not gets them killed. Saw Guerra, not a good man. Lucien, a man in a dark place. In the end after his speech declaring he is not mentally alright he sacrifices 50 men so one Imperials kid could see their father while essentially telling the man he owns him.

Syril was doing the right thing at the beginning actually because Andor did in fact murder someone but got caught up in his own pride.

The Imperials on Aldani were very malicious to the natives without firing a bullet. It was very much on the level of colonials coming in and stealing resources and destroying a culture through fake goodwill towards the natives.

We see suicide. We see torture, and not the cartoony sorts. Backstabbing. And I'm pretty sure the lady who stayed back on Aldani murdered a Imperials who had surrendered.

I'm not trying to say the show is super deep or realistic. It's not. But it depicts insurgency and surviving under a fascist regime a bit close to real life than any of movie/shows that take at during the reign of the Empire.

Its also putting to screen aspects of the SW universe we've never seen before or only briefly.