Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    People were fine with the original Nathanos. He was a memorable questgiver. BFA Nathanos was hated because he was pushed front and center as a major character and agitated the fans because he was a simp for a tyrant and his powerlevel bullcrap.
    wut you mean Mostly-Regular-Guy-With-Bow being able to trade blows with gods isn't believable?!

Nathanos was a jerk, i don't need to be idolized in-game, but getting slagged off all the time gets really old really quickly, too.

A lot of his lines were while doing daily quests too, so getting snarked at on a daily basis? People get enough of that at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post
    I'd be happy to play as a genocidal tyrant and be feared instead like in the DK starting area, but somehow I doubt we'll ever see something like that from "current year" Blizzard ever again.
    there's another reason why the DK starting area isn't replicated and its because its janky AF and phasing worked a lot worse when it was implimented.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post

"We are going to be on equal footing with the dragon aspects" excuse me what? where did you get that idea?
    they literally call us an adventurer the entire time.
    They might be calling us adventures, but we are literally doing the work of rebuilding the dragon isles for them, together with being the main factor in fighting against the primalists. From what i have experienced on the Wrathion/Sabellian interaction, we are seen as being on the same footing as those guys.

All in all, we are not being setup as men among giants, more tall people among a little taller people.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    They might be calling us adventures, but we are literally doing the work of rebuilding the dragon isles for them, together with being the main factor in fighting against the primalists. From what i have experienced on the Wrathion/Sabellian interaction, we are seen as being on the same footing as those guys.

All in all, we are not being setup as men among giants, more tall people among a little taller people.
    I feel you think assisting, or being a major factor in something means you solely alone did it.

Feels like the people who say elon musk is the sole reason for tesla's success and it would be nothing without him.

we are helping out, and a major part, but we are not anywhere close to on par with the aspects.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Nathanos was an annoying cunt who was nothing and did nothing.
    His only thing was that an elf liked him.

Sucking up to players like wow writers do is just going for the lowest common denominator.
    Kids are too dumb to understand how insulting it is and adults with confidence issues actually like that kind of drivel.

Quote Originally Posted by MiiiMiii View Post
    I think Nathanos was a great character.

People always say "In WoW we used to be adventurers not these main characters that saved the world multiple times. It felt more realistic.".

However, in BfA we had Nathanos treating us like nobodies. He constantly treated us as common soilders. Not some world saving heroes. But people hated him.

Then they (blizz devs) just killed him without any lore thought at all as a pre-expansion event to Shadowlands. Vanished like he never existed.

Now we get these "Dragonflight Legacies" videos where yet again, this Drakthyr that is YOU, THE GREAT HERO AND SAVIOR OF AZEROTH, again being the main focus of all the 3 videos so far.

Enjoy being called a god amongst men for the entire expansion. Fun story telling. Hero of Azeroth. Planeswalker. What else can we call you? "Savior of the Dragon Isles"?

Personally I don't like this kind of storytelling, but please don't be surprised that this is the way the game will keep pushing for the forseeable future, Planeswalker.
    Yeah sure, being a random adventurer that nobody know is great. Obeying someone that shit talk me everytime I meet him just give me the urge to disconnect since I can't camp his corpse. On top of that, he's just a VERY GOOD undead ranger, but still and ranger still. Seeing him fight two 10k years night elves blessed by Elune just with his two axes and his ranger tactics while on top of that saying.

"haha im having fun, haha its too easy." Thats just gary-stu character and bad writing, thats all.

Nathanos was only insufferable in BFA. Appearing everywhere, looking down on the players who JUST saved the world from Sargeras and the Burning Legion, constantly simping for Sylvanas and doesn't get anything done by himself. I wanted to kill him again in Shadowlands but I guess forgetting him entirely is about just as good. I thought he was a lot cooler as an undead during Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post

How is this any different from any other expansion or quest in the game where, instead of them doing anything at all, the npcs act as quest givers and tell you to go kill those guys over there for a new shiny belt? This is especially noticeable in WoW where the only time any of the characters get to do anything are big, overly done cinematic cut scenes that don't really do anything?

And I honestly got to know, what's so attractive about the idea of being a 'cog in the wheel' when it comes to being an adventurer in WoW? If you want that feeling, go get a manual labor day job, you're just a face among many there.

...this Drakthyr that is YOU, THE GREAT HERO AND SAVIOR OF AZEROTH,
    So you assume they are talking to YOU when addressing a specific Dracthyr? Not everyone will play Dracthyr and I for one do not identify with them or even thought they were talking to me specifically. You are just wrong about this.

I think my problem with Nathanos was that I wasn't aware of his existence before he suddenly appeared as a major character which is why I wasn't receptive to him suddently being her second in command. I have since read the Sylvanas novel which helps understand his role in her life but doesn't really make me like him at all. But yeah. I wish we could have played through his defeat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    Wait... People hated Magni? What's wrong with Magni, isn't he cool?
    people tend to think everyone else has the same opinion as them.

Magni? Khadgar? Thrall?
    Besides being a bit overused I doubt people started hating them because they were everywhere. Whoever likes them kept liking them and whoever didn't didn't. But again maybe I just think everyone has the same opinion as me aswel lol

However, in BfA we had Nathanos treating us like nobodies. He constantly treated us as common soilders. Not some world saving heroes. But people hated him.
    People hated Nathanos because he was undeservingly insufferable. The only reason he was in the position that he was, was because Sylvanas had the hots for him in life, and arguably still in undeath. Nathanos didn't really have any decent notch to his belt in terms of achievements, and yet he treated more seasoned and traveled adventurers like some naive wet-behind-the-ears greenhorn, like a bad comedy's drill sargent in a kid movie.

Nathanos is the real life equivalent of the guy who reached a position of power within a company through nepotism/favoritism and then belittles those underneath him who work hard to reach where they are.

Then they (blizz devs) just killed him without any lore thought at all as a pre-expansion event to Shadowlands. Vanished like he never existed.
    Good riddance, and I hope he stays that way.

Now we get these "Dragonflight Legacies" videos where yet again, this Drakthyr that is YOU, THE GREAT HERO AND SAVIOR OF AZEROTH, again being the main focus of all the 3 videos so far.
    That is not what the video says, though. Nozdormu said that the dracthyr will have a part to play in the upcoming events, not that they'll be the "hero and savior of Azeroth".

Enjoy being called a god amongst men for the entire expansion. Fun story telling. Hero of Azeroth. Planeswalker. What else can we call you? "Savior of the Dragon Isles"?
    ... We're literally called "adventurers" in Dragonflight. Not champion, not hero, not maw walker. Adventurer.

This take on why Nathanos is disliked is so detached and so off target that it makes me think you're Danuser posting here.
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Blizzard do what the players want all the time.

The problem isn't that he didn't idolize the player, the problem is that there was no role playing opportunity to react to it or reasons given why I would do as he says.

I don't need a lot of good writing to explain why my heroic druid is helping some poor farmer in need. So 30 standard tropey quests in a row like that aren't interesting, but they don't make me feel like the story broke.

But being one quest after the other where some idiot calls me stupid and then asks me for help again, mostly for stuff that my character doesn't really care about, would need a lot well written storylines to not feel totally out of character. And the game does not provide that at all.
    The only reason I am doing them is for gameplay purposes, which always feels bad.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Quote Originally Posted by Kayb View Post
    Right when Teldrassil burned, and we got that brief moment on uncertainty on his face, if the only time I thought Nathanos could have been an interesting character. I'd have liked him much more if they'd taken that single point and gradually over time turned him against Sylvanas. Like, he'd finally seen just how mental she was and grew to reject her. That would have been insanely more interesting compelling than him being a snarky simp. Regardless, I think he was ultimately wasted, like every other character with decent potential.
    Animation team tried to give a personality to a character who ultimately only existed as Danuser's self insert, so it's not really surprising that nothing came out of that moment. Unfortunate, but expected

If you get offended by fictional characters... You do have more than one problem. Want a better story? Write one. There's a small chance that at least one person will like it. You.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    That is not what the video says, though. Nozdormu said that the dracthyr will have a part to play in the upcoming events, not that they'll be the "hero and savior of Azeroth".
    No OP thinks the dracthyr shown in the cinematic is the player, they don't know who emberthal is and think it is literally the player character.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I'm fine with Nathanos as a character, and I've always thought his snarkiness and willingness to talk down to the PC regardless of their standing is a breath of fresh air compared to the kowtowing of most NPCs. That being said, I agree with a lot of the people above that he was way too overused in BfA especially, to the point where I got tired of seeing him. His understandable prominence in the Horde War Campaign coupled with his frequency as the narrator/voice for many of the WQs made him seem omnipresent. I think if they'd shifted up the WQs and the Invasion events to have a rotating complement of main NPCs that it would've helped with the sense of repetition a lot of people felt.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Nathanos is a good character who is fun to hate. The most interesting thing that was going on in the story was the rift in the Horde, and he was on Sylvanas' side (obviously evil) to the very end. I dislike how most villains are just being evil for a good cause or some other redeemable reason apart from just being a bad selfish person.

Honestly, I don't care whether or not we're out saving the entire cosmos as long as the gameplay is good. Legion was one of the best expansions this game has ever had and saw us going to another planet and fighting titans in the raid.

I think Nathanos was a great character.

People always say "In WoW we used to be adventurers not these main characters that saved the world multiple times. It felt more realistic.".

Personally I don't like this kind of storytelling, but please don't be surprised that this is the way the game will keep pushing for the forseeable future, Planeswalker.
    For my part, I saw these three videos as the worst received of all the expansion intros.
    So I would say that in any case he shows that the Player is not satisfied with simply "being called a hero".

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    You all talk as if we are done with Nathanos. Sylvanas will find him in the Maw and they will come back in a 2-3 expansions at most.
    let us dream

Apart from that of course pj like Sira or Cordana are not going to come back because they are very evil or corrupt.
    Last edited by geco; 2022-11-09 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I'm fine with Nathanos as a character, and I've always thought his snarkiness and willingness to talk down to the PC regardless of their standing is a breath of fresh air compared to the kowtowing of most NPCs.
    While I agree on the part about not liking when NPCs just treat our characters like gods, Nathanos, in my opinion, is far too extreme in the opposite direction. In theory, the player characters can technically wipe the floor with Nathanos considering the adventurers are more experienced than him, and more powerful than him. But we couldn't do it in game because of 'plot armor' giving him incredibly high HP and damage.

And, like I mentioned in my previous post, Nathanos did absolutely nothing to earn his rank other than being Sylvanas' favorite. He didn't fight a fraction of battles that others have, or fought monsters a fraction of the power others have. He's a high-ranking military officer who got his rank through favoritism, and belittles those underneath his rank who have accomplished far more than he did.