Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Nope. It's about how culture is tied tightly to "being." *shrugs* If you imagine that's bad, then you won't like how I have certain classes structured in my rewrite. For example, "paladin" has a commonality within respective beliefs between Tauren and Human, but differ because of cultural characteristics. That much should be obvious. Less obvious will be differences seen in "priest," "druid," "shaman" among others. But belief structures are always connected to cultural being.
    Being? You mean character dies, if he does something wrong? I see class as something like profession. Something, that can be learned. It can be forbidden by culture. But it's not impossible. Therefore new alternative cultures can appear, that allow more classes. Like Grimtotem Taurens and Ragnari Draeneis having Rogues.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Honestly think they should just let you pick any racial in the game, and it's just named something different for w/e race you chose. And you can only change it by paying for it like a race change, but give everyone their first one free since it'd be something new affecting all characters already created.

Quote Originally Posted by Varx View Post
    how can you justify Maghar dh and locks
    Maghar warlocks...this is what Zovaal was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Varx View Post
    I used to be against open race and class combos but not anymore.

However, the only issue I have is against DH and lock Maghat.

Like even velf paladins can be explained using disc priests but how can you justify Maghar dh and locks
    You can explain every single class combination by the simple fact that people are individuals and your class trainers don't neccessarily have to be of the same race. In fact, that adds alot of flavor. In a better world you could even make NPCs react to it. Also the Alliance and Stomrwind humans especially, don't have a reason to like warlocks either. That is why they used to dwell in some cellar. That is part of the fucking fantasy and transferable to all race/class combinations.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Being? You mean character dies, if he does something wrong? I see class as something like profession.
    You're seeing things two-dimensionally. Are Tauren "spiritual?" Do you really want to take "honor" out of the game?
    To be fair, most posting in this thread don't give a fig for lore, or story, or cultural identity or racial heritage. In my rewrite, racial abilities get an overhaul dependent upon the class. (Eg, The "darkspear" for darkspear trolls will mean something.)
    If you don't see any difference between "dwarven" being, and orcish" being," then my rewrite will be confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Except paladins are infused with light unlike priests who channel it. And since void energies are highly unstable and, more often than not, explosive when mixed with other energies so a void infused elf also becoming light infused does not sound like a healthy mix.
    Fel isn't healthy either. Doesn't stop the DHs and Locks from eating it and using it for all sorts of things. Being Void Elf already requires that you learn to control the volatile powers of the Void and fight off the side effects and they have a Void infused form by default.

There are always ways to explain it.

If Blizz would change the spells to reflect the Void powers I would welcome this (as they did with Divine Star and Halo for the Priest now), but even without that I should be able to find a way to justify a Velf Pala.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Janitor View Post
    Also the Alliance and Stomrwind humans especially, don't have a reason to like warlocks either. That is why they used to dwell in some cellar. That is part of the fucking fantasy and transferable to all race/class combinations.
    As of "Warcrimes" Varian had a Warlock in his personal guard, that happily summoned demons in his service. Not sure what happened to her after Varian died tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    Fel isn't healthy either. Doesn't stop the DHs and Locks from eating it and using it for all sorts of things. Being Void Elf already requires that you learn to control the volatile powers of the Void and fight off the side effects and they have a Void infused form by default.
    Except demon hunters are only infused with fel and nothing else and warlocks just channel it. And as Xhul'horac showed us, void doesn't really like to mix with anything without the mixture being highly unstable and explosive.

I must be the only person left with this stance but I'm strongly against this type of stuff. The lore matters but so does the culture of each race. Even some of the new combos they introduced way back in cata like a Tauren priest & paladin or Orc mage really bother me. Especially cause they look terrible. Idk call me a traditionalist, but I don’t wanna see a Tauren rogue or gnome druid or worgen shaman running around with abilities and armour that don’t match their aesthetic whatsoever. It’s taking away from the backstory and history of the Warcraft universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Except demon hunters are only infused with fel and nothing else and warlocks just channel it. And as Xhul'horac showed us, void doesn't really like to mix with anything without the mixture being highly unstable and explosive.
    Bombs are also highly unstable and explosive. A mistake and you blow up yourself or your friends. Poisons are very dangerous to handle, a wrong move and you might die or kill someone you did not intend to. Summoning Elementals and Demons is a big risk too. If you loose control you get killed and don't get me started on the literal plagues used by Death Knights and the Forsaken.

Moral of all this: Every power or weapon is dangerous if you wield it without the proper care and knowledge. Void Elves have build their entire culture on controling and mastering the power of the Void. That does not mean there is no risk, but they are most certainly the best suited for it all.

Besides, I think you are mixing up normal Paladins and Lightforged Draenei. Only the latter are directly infused with Light by the Naaru, normal Paladins just call to it, like Priests, they just use it in slightly different ways. They are pretty much Priests in heavy armor (which is how their order started). A velf Pala would basically be a Shadow Priest in heavy armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mferna View Post
    I must be the only person left with this stance but I'm strongly against this type of stuff. The lore matters but so does the culture of each race. Even some of the new combos they introduced way back in cata like a Tauren priest & paladin or Orc mage really bother me. Especially cause they look terrible. Idk call me a traditionalist, but I don’t wanna see a Tauren rogue or gnome druid or worgen shaman running around with abilities and armour that don’t match their aesthetic whatsoever. It’s taking away from the backstory and history of the Warcraft universe.
    I think we're the minority here. Between the craptacular writing, and what some of the existing playerbase wants, I try to rewrite the lore for my own catharsis...mostly. Try to make it all consistent and logically coherent, and simply make sense.

You are free to dislike it. But your enjoyment of the game does not matter any more or less then mine and if I wish my character to be a Panda that eats the souls of his enemies while wearing a long dress and pauldorns the size of Argus' head (Not that I would ever play a Panda), then that is my buisness, just as I am not gonna try to stop you from dressing or playing your character however you want, because it is your buisness. Live and let live.

You are free to dislike it. But your enjoyment of the game does not matter any more or less then mine and if I wish my character to be a Panda that eats the souls of his enemies while wearing a long dress and pauldorns the size of Argus' head (Not that I would ever play a Panda), then that is my buisness, just as I am not gonna try to stop you from dressing or playing your character however you want, because it is your buisness. Live and let live.
    I didn’t need a kumbaya speech, I’m presenting the opposing POV. But u do that and I’ll judge you as I enjoy an aesthetically pleasing and story-relevant race class combo, for is my right.

You're seeing things two-dimensionally. Are Tauren "spiritual?" Do you really want to take "honor" out of the game?
    To be fair, most posting in this thread don't give a fig for lore, or story, or cultural identity or racial heritage. In my rewrite, racial abilities get an overhaul dependent upon the class. (Eg, The "darkspear" for darkspear trolls will mean something.)
    If you don't see any difference between "dwarven" being, and orcish" being," then my rewrite will be confusing.
    And your vision is too narrow. That's why you suffer too much from racial cliches, that are childish at best. Orcs aren't born with "honor". And Taurens aren't born "spiritual". They get these traits during their life. And life is complex thing, so different characters can have different lives. That's, what we call true RP. Not artificial "rules", you talk about. I don't want to give IRL examples to you, cuz they can be treated as racist ones. Exactly because racial cliches are racist.
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2022-11-11 at 09:30 AM.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

And your vision is too narrow. That's why you suffer too much from racial cliches, that are childish at best. Orcs aren't born with "honor". And Taurens aren't born "spiritual".
    never said they were. Ive been referring to culture.
    They get these traits during their life. And life is complex thing, so different characters can have different lives.
    Which should be a part of the game.
    That's, what we call true RP. I don't want to give IRL examples to you, cuz they can be treated as racist ones. Exactly because racial cliches are racist.
    And what is faction here but about race? Why choose a race at all? At this point you can't possibly care about story or lore...which for you aligns well with current writing. Curiously, your name isn't the criticism for the game I thought it was.

Why choose a race at all?
    You mean race becomes purely cosmetic? I don't think so. It's exaggeration. Lore isn't wiped. It's just widened.

You mean race becomes purely cosmetic? I don't think so. It's exaggeration. Lore isn't wiped. It's just widened.
    And yet you cry "racism" when culture is brought to the table. (I should wonder if Domino's Pizza said the same thing about Italy)

I didn’t need a kumbaya speech, I’m presenting the opposing POV. But u do that and I’ll judge you as I enjoy an aesthetically pleasing and story-relevant race class combo, for is my right.
    Of course. My characters are all aesthetically pleasing as well, being Void Elves with carefully crafted mogs to fit their looks. I just do not subscribe to the notion that class choice should be limited by race, since all combinations can be explained or even exist in the game already with just players not allowed to use them (like Nelf Paladins).

Of course. My characters are all aesthetically pleasing as well, being Void Elves with carefully crafted mogs to fit their looks. I just do not subscribe to the notion that class choice should be limited by race, since all combinations can be explained or even exist in the game already with just players not allowed to use them (like Nelf Paladins).
    I thought of using "Silver Sentinels" in my rewrite on paladins. But dismissed it as redundant.

I love racial culture that's the core idea of the racial talent tree to show your race even though your are something that is not that common maning you feel the race

I thought of using "Silver Sentinels" in my rewrite on paladins. But dismissed it as redundant.
    Considering what we know about Elune now, it is quite puzzling anyway. She should not have any command over the Light to bestow upon her priestesses, be they actual priests or paladins. Even her Moon and Star-powers are rather weird, given that she is just an automaton of the Life pantheon (well, probably), made in Zereth Vitae.

But that is the thing. Since the lore is all over the place and in many cases even the head writer is unable to explain why things are as they are, I do not feel like limiting my enjoyment of the game because of the clusterfuck these trolls have written up. They do whatever they like with the lore and break it as they please, just looking at SLs... uuuugh, so I do not accept it as dogma for how my character is supposed to be. If they were better at world-building I might feel different, but with this current writing team I feel no loyalty to their lore, because neither do they.