Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Great date for Kherson liberation, how nice for Russian to pick this moment to bravely run away.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    again this is basically insane belief that if Russians don't want to be murderers they should get themselves brutally beaten and killed. Nobody should be telling people that because it is insanity said by people who never had a hard day in their life.
    Telling someone to pick between killing others in a war of conquest or standing up to their own oppressors shouldn't be this controversial concept.

10+ Year Old Account
    again this is basically insane belief that if Russians don't want to be murderers they should get themselves brutally beaten and killed. Nobody should be telling people that because it is insanity said by people who never had a hard day in their life.
    Tens of thousands of Russians have died this year trying to deprive another country of their freedom, with many more ending up maimed for life when they survive.

People should absolutely be telling them that when the option is having their own countrymen come home in body bags and missing limbs etc on that scale, when they haven't simply been left to rot out in the open.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Telling someone to pick between killing others in a war of conquest or standing up to their own oppressors shouldn't be this controversial concept.
    It is.

Telling someone to go die is a terrible argument. All human life regardless of pathetic things like lines on map have a value of infinity. As such each human has a duty to make sure they are alive AT ALL COSTS.

Being alive is the only thing that matters period. If you don't value your life that's your call but I will worry about your mental sanity.

If they are not part of the solution, they are a part of the problem.
    That reasoning could be applied to any population ruled by a dictator. Meaning, currently, you apply that judgment to more than half the global population. Don't you think that your reasoning is faulty ?

It is.

Telling someone to go die is a terrible argument. All human life regardless of pathetic things like lines on map have a value of infinity. As such each human has a duty to make sure they are alive AT ALL COSTS.

Being alive is the only thing that matters period. If you don't value your life that's your call but I will worry about your mental sanity.
    m8, your moral compass is fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    That reasoning could be applied to any population ruled by a dictator. Meaning, currently, you apply that judgment to more than half the global population. Don't you think that your reasoning is faulty ?
    Why would I think my reasoning is faulty? Just because majority of the human population are weak willed conformists, doesn't make my moral position wrong.

Yes, if you live in a dictatorship and cheer the dictatorship on until your own life gets put on the line, you deserve all the shit you get into.

m8, your moral compass is fucked.
    Staying alive is bad morals now? Sorry I am not part of your suicide cult

Staying alive is bad morals now? Sorry I am not part of your suicide cult
    If personal survival is the highest guiding principle in your moral compass, then yes, it is fucked.

If personal survival is the highest guiding principle in your moral compass, then yes, it is fucked.
    It is the highest principle of all life. To stay alive. Until someone guaranfuckingtees an afterlife (and no not some my skydaddy book says so) then every one of us should be surviving no matter what.

It is the highest principle of all life. To stay alive. Until someone guaranfuckingtees an afterlife (and no not some my skydaddy book says so) then every one of us should be surviving no matter what.
    So if I wanted the West to pre-emptively nuke Russia off the map just to make sure they can't do it first, I'm morally justified in my desire?

So if I wanted the West to pre-emptively nuke Russia off the map just to make sure they can't do it first, I'm morally justified in my desire?
    No, because you're not thinking it through. It's not as if Russia and the west are the only two nations on earth. Nuclear bombs have fallout. Irradiating a country that spans roughly 180 degrees of the planet is not just an attack on russia, it'll cause harm to the entire planet. It's not justifiable to destroy your enemy and yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    No, because you're not thinking it through. It's not as if Russia and the west are the only two nations on earth. Nuclear bombs have fallout. Irradiating a country that spans roughly 180 degrees of the planet is not just an attack on russia, it'll cause harm to the entire planet. It's not justifiable to destroy your enemy and yourself.
    I've got the 'rona so I don't have the energy to argue with people about a topic I will never change my mind about. Have a nice evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Likewise russia's invasion of Ukraine is causing thousands of people in poor nations who depended on Ukrainain grain to starve to death.

I've got the 'rona so I don't have the energy to argue with people about a topic I will never change my mind about. Have a nice evening.
    Not really an argument. Self-preservation is well known and documented.

7+ Year Old Account
    Impressive for Ukraine to have forced Russia out in Kherson. My read on the situation is that it was untenable to hold on to the position given constant HIMARS strikes that were severely crippling to Russia's ability to resupply across the river, so perhaps Russia decided it wasn't worth the price to try and hold on to the west bank when they can just fortify the east? Ukraine has no essentially zero chance to cross such a massive river. Heck the only reason Russia managed to get as far as it did is due to the overall chaos of the initial few days for Ukraine and the fact Ukraine sent troops to hold on other fronts ( Kiev, Kharkiv ).

What I do wonder is what will Russia do now? Unless Ukraine has the ability to actually cross in force, then I believe they'll quite likely redeploy a significant number of troops to other fronts.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Likewise russia's invasion of Ukraine is causing thousands of people in poor nations who depended on Ukrainain grain to starve to death.
    I think Russia, like most people, expected the war to be over in days. Most actions result in blowback, the unforeseen results.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    Impressive for Ukraine to have forced Russia out in Kherson. My read on the situation is that it was untenable to hold on to the position given constant HIMARS strikes that were severely crippling to Russia's ability to resupply across the river, so perhaps Russia decided it wasn't worth the price to try and hold on to the west bank when they can just fortify the east? Ukraine has no essentially zero chance to cross such a massive river. Heck the only reason Russia managed to get as far as it did is due to the overall chaos of the initial few days for Ukraine and the fact Ukraine sent troops to hold on other fronts ( Kiev, Kharkiv ).
    They dont have to cross the river, they can go around it, from the northeast.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Not every dictator starts a war of aggression.

We wouldn't be having this discussion if Russia had not decided to invade Ukraine.

Reportedly a scan of russian cell phones during the retreat.. I think something went wrong at the crossing.

Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post

What I do wonder is what will Russia do now? Unless Ukraine has the ability to actually cross in force, then I believe they'll quite likely redeploy a significant number of troops to other fronts.
    Doesn't help that the Ukrainians destroyed most bridges in their early retreat. There aren't many bridges left to resupply Kherson from the Russia side. So it was untenable once Russia took defensive lines north of the river.

I think the biggest fear is something happening to the dam at Kahkovka. One, it'll flood the land south of the Dnipro, where the russians have defensive lines supporting the retreat from Kherson. Two, it'll stop the flow of fresh water to Crimea, which will make things worse for any civilians still living there. Three, it'll drain the water, or at least stop refilling, the water storage for the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant. Four, the dam is a hydroelectric plant.