Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    you make it sound like the belarusian army is just another set of untrained thugs, not counting the russians
    You saw how poor russias army turned out? Well the Belarusian one is worse. It's got a tiny budget, not many troops, it's equipment is even older than russias and it is conscripts based. If ordered its unlikely they fight.

Plus Lukashenko only retains power by having the army around. If that goes, he is in trouble.

It'd be a slaughter. The Ukrainians have been preparing extensive defences along the border, are much better equipped and battle hardened.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    You saw how poor russias army turned out? Well the Belarusian one is worse. It's got a tiny budget, not many troops, it's equipment is even older than russias and it is conscripts based. If ordered its unlikely they fight.

Plus Lukashenko only retains power by having the army around. If that goes, he is in trouble.

It'd be a slaughter. The Ukrainians have been preparing extensive defences along the border, are much better equipped and battle hardened.
    Not only that, the border regions between Ukraine and Belarus has some of the largest natural wetlands in Europe, getting bogged down in a front there would be absolutely miserable for them to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladier View Post
    I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that the post was about Russian civilians not violently rebelling against their government, despite having no chance to actually succeed at it, not about soldiers.
    If the 3-400.000 that fled mobilization instead marched on the Kremlin, do you think that would have done nothing?
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    If the 3-400.000 that fled mobilization instead marched on the Kremlin, do you think that would have done nothing?
    You say that as if the Kremlin was just around the corner from them. The thing is, most of the people who fled were pretty much already on Russia's border, so they fled to Kazakhstan or Georgia, or wherever. There is also a matter of communication - any attempts at forming a protest are monitored, and any liberal networking efforts that could assist with that were crushed a long time ago, before and after 2012, and most people around whom a large scale protest could crystallize are living in exile or are incarcerated. Fleeing to another country is easier to do, because it can be done all by yourself.

So while I don't think that a rebellion of 400000 fleeing mobilized men would be easy to put down even for Putin, that such a rebellion could be formed in the first place is a fantasy that does not involve understanding of the kind of logistics such a rebellion would require. Putin even sidestepped the "disgruntled army outside the capital" issue that doomed the Russian Empire by sending the mobilized "soldiers" directly to war rather than bothering to train and organize them first.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Probably nothing, kremlin has already shown it’s not afraid to massacre it’s own citizens, kill enough to send the crowd stampeding away from the kremlin then blame “western agents” for inciting the mob.
    Never forget that millions died to the Soviet Union actions, these people who “inherited” the will of the union are just as cable.

I see somewhere that the russians are trying to damage nova kakhova, was it a trap after all?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampiregenesis View Post
    I see somewhere that the russians are trying to damage nova kakhova, was it a trap after all?
    Wouldn't make much sense at this moment. The side of the river the Russians are on is the one most susceptible for flooding if the dam broke. Id be cautious until we see wider confirmation of it happening.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampiregenesis View Post
    News is they're blowing the bridge, not the dam itself, and that, weirdly, makes sense, by leaving the dam intact the reservoir stays, so water for Crimea and the Nuclear power plant will remain cooled, while denying movement to the Ukrainians.

I wouldn't underestimate just how fucking stupid the vatniks are.

why do people often say "if there is a russia after this war"

what does that mean?
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

10+ Year Old Account

what does that mean?
    It means that there's a tendency for declining empires to undergo breakup as internal differences come to the fore when the power and legitimacy of the central government dissipates - like, say, by destroying the country's economic and social fabric on a nonsense war.

This is not a new prediction, either; the failure of the Russian Federation to consolidate itself politically and economically after the first round of breakup (i.e. the USSR's collapse) has had people speculating for some time that there'd be another round of breakups leaving "Russia" as a much smaller entity centered on Moscow. The backslide into tsarism under Putin is a symptom of that failure to consolidate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

what does that mean?
    That Russia may collapse into smaller pieces when local governments no longer fear the power of Moskva and realize that they don't need to hand over part of their corrupt gains to central government, and in that case there will not be a "Russia" after the war.

A possible outcome, but not the only one.

what does that mean?
    Losing wars has consequences. A common one is losing your "empire".

what does that mean?
    russia is not some monolithic entity. It is a imperialist nation made out of many, many subjugated nationalities and ethnic minorities who are repressed and looted for the benefit of the moscow elites, while being used as cannon fodder in its wars. It is not inconceivable that are lot of them are looking forward to more autonomy, if not independence when all this is done.

- - - Updated - - -

The videos coming out of Kherson are something to behold - the sheer joy and celebration from the residents finally freed of russian terror.

one of the prisoners who agreed to fight for wagner got sent to ukraine, immediately surrendered. Ukraine then swapped him in a prisoner swap back to Russians for some Ukrainian PoW's. Wagner then posted a video online executing him. Didn't watch so not sure if its a blade or a hammer but given Wangers previous love of using sledgehammers to execute people in Syria, not the best way to end.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    one of the prisoners who agreed to fight for wagner got sent to ukraine, immediately surrendered. Ukraine then swapped him in a prisoner swap back to Russians for some Ukrainian PoW's. Wagner then posted a video online executing him. Didn't watch so not sure if its a blade or a hammer but given Wangers previous love of using sledgehammers to execute people in Syria, not the best way to end.
    Yeah he got hit on the head with a hammer.

Seems to have lost consciousness immediately, so there's that.

https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-...-22/index.html
    Biden administration divided over path ahead for Ukraine as top US general pushes for diplomacy.

(Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark)Milley's push for peace has spilled into the public in recent days, just as Ukraine takes back the city of Kherson. In comments at the Economic Club of New York on Wednesday, Milley praised the Ukrainian army for fighting Russia to a stalemate, but said that an outright military victory is out of reach.
    Sounds like Milley needs to retire. An outright military victory is out of reach? Oh really? The Russians keep losing every battle, retreat and retreat again, the Ukrainians are determined to fight until the bitter end and this oaf says they can't win? The only way Ukraine can't win is if Western support stops.

Sack this fool. Russia will be defeated utterly, every inch of Ukrainian soil will be regained and every Russian who isn't wise enough to surrender or run will stay in Ukraine forever, because he's gonna be buried there. Putin's nuclear threats are as empty as his future and there is only victory ahead for Ukraine.
    Last edited by enigma77; 2022-11-13 at 01:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    Well that's incredibly stupid of the Ukrainians...No convicts will surrender anymore now.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Well that's incredibly stupid of the Ukrainians...No convicts will surrender anymore now.
    They have said they don't return POWs that don't want to be returned. If this is true then the convict made the choice to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    If they expected it to be over in days, they should have withdrawn days after failing their "three day war". What you've made is an excuse, pure and simple. Russia made the decision to keep going, valuing their pride over other people's lives. Why should their lives be valued when they deliberately throw away the lives of others?
    I've not made an excuse for anyone for anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    They have said they don't return POWs that don't want to be returned. If this is true then the convict made the choice to go back.
    Fair enough, but I still think it's stupid, though the stupidity is the convicts then.