10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Can anyone explain Musk's masterplan of firing half the staff, then telling the other half they have to work twice the hours?

Is Twitter Greek? Because that's basically the definition of Greek corporate management. Mindnumbingly moronic.
    It's Capitalism. At least the American flavor of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can anyone explain Musk's masterplan of firing half the staff, then telling the other half they have to work twice the hours?
    Whoa whoa whoa! That's a lie and you know it!

...because he's also firing the contractors, so it's going to be more like triple.

Also, in case anyone has any questions on Elon Musk as a human being:

In at least some cases, if not all, workers did not get any direct communication from Twitter saying that their work had ended.

They instead found out by seeing their access to Twitter computer systems had been shut off.

This parallels the scene when full-time employees found out they had lost their job, not from a promised e-mail on Friday, but overnight on Thursday as they lost access to e-mail and other corporate computing systems.

Twitter has since reached out to re-hire some full-time employees after realizing their skills were critical to existing projects, including new features that were a priority to the company.

Some contractors, meanwhile, are concerned about getting paid for the last two weeks as a number of contractors ended up on teams with no full-time Twitter employees, leaving no one to sign off on their time cards, sources tell Axios.
    So, yeah, imagine you're waiting for the email to tell you if you have a job or not, only for that email to be yoinked out from under you. That's the modern day parallel of showing up for work and the door is boarded up. You might be asking "how do these people know where to get their last paycheck, when their benefits expire, etc?" and the answer is "I don't know either".

So to answer your question about the master plan, I think it's "To destroy Twitter". These actions are going to get him sued...

(checks own posts)

...again, destroy morale in what's left of the company, prevent him from getting any replacement workers at all, could very easily lead to a strike, and quite frankly, could lead to not only people voting with their feet and (eyeroll) "cancel culture" Twitter, but at this point, could lead to whoever's hosting his servers to just flip the power switch in protest. To do to Elon what Elon did to his own people. I mean, why not? They'll be unemployed soon enough anyhow.

Is Twitter Greek? Because that's basically the definition of Greek corporate management. Mindnumbingly moronic.
    I'm not sure there was a master plan. Corporate culture often really values firing employees and telling the rest to work harder in order to theoretically reduce costs, Musk just took the concept to the next level and perhaps bought into his own hype as a galaxy brained managerial supergenius that could turn half the workforce (or less) into just as much productivity by sheer gigachad attitude or something.

Obviously anyone who's actually worked in a workspace, rather than directing everything from above his entire life, knows that this is complete nonsense, but then again this entire thing started with the complete nonsense of paying 44b$ for Twitter so at this point keeping up the insanity is entirely on-brand.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I'm not sure there was a master plan. Corporate culture often really values firing employees and telling the rest to work harder in order to theoretically reduce costs, Musk just took the concept to the next level and perhaps bought into his own hype as a galaxy brained managerial supergenius that could turn half the workforce (or less) into just as much productivity by sheer gigachad attitude or something.

Obviously anyone who's actually worked in a workspace, rather than directing everything from above his entire life, knows that this is complete nonsense, but then again this entire thing started with the complete nonsense of paying 44b$ for Twitter so at this point keeping up the insanity is entirely on-brand.
    People really need to resort to work-to-rule a lot more often.

You hired me for a 40-hour week, Steve. That means I work for 40 hours. If you want to work out something outside my stated contract to get me to work 60-70 (at a significant wage markup, no less), I'm punching in at 9 and out at 5, and I'm not working the weekend, period. It's one thing if it's a once-in-several-months emergency, but if you're expecting this shit as a regular practice, fuckin' pay me for my time or I have literally no reason to do the work.

Oh, and I turn my work phone off or screen work calls after 5 and before 9. If you want me to be on-call, pay me. I'll take 1/2 my regular wage for the off-work hours, all of them, if you want me to pick up the phone when and if you do call.

You think the guy who's coming up with new products and ideas on the fly, most of which last less than 24 hours, has a plan?

He's winging this shit being completely out of his depth.

elon sells loads of tesla stock

days later https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technolog...medium=custom7

funny that

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    elon sells loads of tesla stock

days later https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technolog...medium=custom7

funny that
    Oh boy, I sure hope there aren't any emails showing that he knew of this recall before selling his stock.

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    The problem isn't that sites like Twitter have a progressive agenda and hate conservatives, it's that most users and advertisers prefer a progressive agenda and that's both the product and the source of income.
    I really doubt that. Most of the world is collectively holding its breath that half of the american voters don't vote for the most retarded spray-tanned candidate again, while corpos don't give a flying fuck about progressive agendas and usually block all of them where they can. The progressive agenda is about more than american race issues and sexuality. Advertisers (well the people that hire the brain-dead twats in advertising) want stable conditions. They usually don't want someone to stir the pot and lose them sales, they have no morals though, just vested interest. The reality is simply that the Streisand-effect has it's limitations, and indeed there is such a thing as bad press. So claiming that they actually want that seems naive to me, they just care about maximum profits and currently you get that with less controversy. (There are exceptions to that though, some advertisment campaigns in the past have lived entirely off shock value. Just pointing that out in case someone wants to bring that up.)
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Elon, you bleeping moron!

First elon is the biggest piece of shit. Once more using his company to meme back at people and nothing else. I'm not going to do fake outrage over a politicians account and I meme on some if I could. Yet, this is CEO, who once more is not suppose to lean on the political side of Twitter. But he got swept into the right wing shit, so Owning the Libs is KeK.

Also who eff cares about the mask. Just another dumb shit, but we already fought this battle.

A Senator asking a legit about the Twitter verification, which has been a disaster and we have evidence of the damage it has done.

A reply by the Senator:

One of your companies is under an FTC consent decree. Auto safety watchdog NHTSA is investigating another for killing people. And you’re spending your time picking fights online. Fix your companies. Or Congress will.
    Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2022-11-13 at 08:40 PM.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post

First elon is the biggest piece of shit. Once more using his company to meme back at people and nothing else. I'm not going to do fake outrage over a politicians account and I meme on some if I could. Yet, this is CEO, who once more is not suppose to lean on the political side of Twitter. But he got swept into the right wing shit, so Owning the Libs is KeK.

Also who eff cares about the mask. Just another dumb shit, but we already fought this battle.

A Senator asking a legit about the Twitter verification, which has been a disaster and we have evidence of the damage it has done.

A reply by the Senator:

One of your companies is under an FTC consent decree. Auto safety watchdog NHTSA is investigating another for killing people. And you’re spending your time picking fights online. Fix your companies. Or Congress will.
    I didn't think the last tweet was real but like...yeah, it is.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...on-1234630165/

Rofl, is Elon trying to pivot to "The government killed Twitter!" when everything going on is purely his fault? This glorious dumpster fire is seriously the best entertainment some idiot spending $44B can buy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

You hired me for a 40-hour week, Steve. That means I work for 40 hours. If you want to work out something outside my stated contract to get me to work 60-70 (at a significant wage markup, no less), I'm punching in at 9 and out at 5, and I'm not working the weekend, period. It's one thing if it's a once-in-several-months emergency, but if you're expecting this shit as a regular practice, fuckin' pay me for my time or I have literally no reason to do the work.

Oh, and I turn my work phone off or screen work calls after 5 and before 9. If you want me to be on-call, pay me. I'll take 1/2 my regular wage for the off-work hours, all of them, if you want me to pick up the phone when and if you do call.
    People are increasingly doing this, which is why you're seeing all these thinkpieces from corporate media outlets about the dangers of "quiet quitting".
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    People are increasingly doing this, which is why you're seeing all these thinkpieces from corporate media outlets about the dangers of "quiet quitting".
    Yep.

And no, "you're on salary" isn't an excuse. Salary presumes a 40-hour workweek. If you're consistently doing more, you should be paid accordingly. If you're pulling 60-hour weeks, for instance, take your base salary and add at least 75% more; 50% more due to 50% more hours, and the extra 25% because those additional hours are overtime at time-and-a-half. If you're not getting this you're either A> getting royally screwed by an exploitative profiteer who does not value you in any way whatsoever, or B> you're intentionally taking less pay because it's essentially a form of charity (a lot of teachers probably fit in here, for instance, but basically no for-profit jobs would, absent getting your own business off the ground).

Also, factor in commute times. Those aren't for you. They're job-related. Your boss won't want to pay for them, but your boss doesn't want to pay you. Make sure you value yourself properly and don't let capitalist exploiters take advantage of your good faith, because they're sure not extending you any. If they were, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    They call it "quiet quitting", I call it "acting your wage".
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

No arguments there. I work at Costco and we punch our hours. I'll gladly work overtime, if you pay me overtime which they always do. The company's interest in me stops at how productive I am, and my interest in it stops at how much money they pay me. In the vast, vast majority of cases, thinking there's anything more to the relationship is polite fiction at best and delusion at worst. But there's always a segment of corporate people who think employees should be thankful for having a job or something.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

space x buying ad's on twitter, the snake eating itself. Good too see American taxpayers dollars finally subsidizing shit posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post

Fix your companies. Or Congress will.
    What if this was all a big-brain 5D plan to get the government to crack down, so that he could claim there was actual censorship of conservatives...

Man, he's just great. He's got like five companies to run and what's he doing? Shitposting on Twitter all day, rofl.

Getting into pissing matches with members of Congress.

Desperately trying to get people to focus more on FTX collapsing (rofl, it's huge but nowhere near as entertaining as Twitter's collapse).

Is apparently wasting time having staff find old annual reports on badge-in rates and meals served because arguing over that on Twitter is a super good use of time.

The number of dudes simping and hoping Daddy Elon notices them is absolutely hilarious. Billionaire got his own fuckin private simp army and they do that shit for free, will gladly pay $8 for the privilege to simp for him.

15+ Year Old Account
    Musk's incompetence is being shone to the world with the spotlight on him.

https://twitter.com/zei_squirrel/sta...SjvQb_aVQ&s=19
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Should still be added to worker's rights. If a conservative government in my disaster of a country can enshrine those rights in law, everyone can.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still don't know how the fuck Twitter valuates their services, but so far this looks like they have no idea what they're doing, what they're selling, and how much they're selling it for.

Lay-offs are generally fine, but laying off half the personnel and telling the rest to work inhumane hours is legit stupid, counterproductive and not really cost efficient in the long run.

Normally when a company wants to sell a product, they calculate the total cost price per unit, that is materials, overhead, wages etc, then they add a margin on top, which is basically the product elasticity and general competitive prices, and voilà, you got a price. I get the feeling after this lay-off clusterfuck that this is all random. Like they don't even know what their operating costs are.

As an investor or a company that just wants to work with them for ad revenue or whatever, I wouldn't wanna touch them with a ten foot pole.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2022-11-14 at 12:21 PM.