Question Mouseover healing

Hello does anyone know if there is a way to make the mouseover healing setting in game only work on raid/party frames.
    The current setup makes it cast on anything thats moused over so if i target a mob to do damage it will try cast it on any mob that walks under my frame which can be a little annoying.
    Thanks

[Target=player] add that to the macro. It stops me from healing pets and totems.

10+ Year Old Account
    #showtooltip
    /use [@mouseover,nodead,help,exists] SPELLNAMEHERE

Should only cast if it's mouseover, not dead, friendly, and exists

exists can probably be dropped

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    #showtooltip

As per above. This macro will make you waste targeted healing spells like penance on hunter pets, lock demons and shaman totems, which are all seen as friendlies.

You can use click casting in the keybind menu if you are unaware, it's a real game changer.
    I made click cast macros so I could change abilities at will very quickly, eg
    /Click [@mouseover,help, nodead] BottomLeftButton1;ActionButton1
    This will cast heals on mouseover on click that are placed on the bottom left action bar and if targeting an enemy will use basic abilities on the main action bar.

This means the one macro can do the job of dozens of macros across any class/spec while also being incredibly easy to customize. You can use the click macro to target other macros too so long as they occupy that actionbutton.

The inbuilt click casting can help a bit, but, well, only for clicks, not keybinds. If you want frame filters, you will need to use something like clique addon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezpz View Post
    Hello does anyone know if there is a way to make the mouseover healing setting in game only work on raid/party frames.
    The current setup makes it cast on anything thats moused over so if i target a mob to do damage it will try cast it on any mob that walks under my frame which can be a little annoying.
    Thanks
    I recommend just getting Vuhdo. It not only allows you to use mouse-over (without setting up any macros), but also click-casting for all your mouse buttons. Most healers use it instead of the ingame options.
    The additional upside is that you can bind your mouse buttons twice. You can for example have a HoT on your mouse wheel up, that is only used when you hover over your group frames, while at the same time your mouse wheel up triggers a dps spell whenever you are not hovering over the frame. It's extremely convinient for a healer that also wants to put in some damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    #showtooltip

Sadly this macro is still the only way to make mouseover healing work in a way that doesn't depend on single addon.

They really fuckes up the built in implementation of mouse over casting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    You can use click casting in the keybind menu if you are unaware, it's a real game changer.
    I made click cast macros so I could change abilities at will very quickly, eg
    /Click [@mouseover,help, nodead] BottomLeftButton1;ActionButton1
    This will cast heals on mouseover on click that are placed on the bottom left action bar and if targeting an enemy will use basic abilities on the main action bar.

This means the one macro can do the job of dozens of macros across any class/spec while also being incredibly easy to customize. You can use the click macro to target other macros too so long as they occupy that actionbutton.
    Your macro does not work for Smite + Flash heal. Does not cast on mouseover healing only on self. If target is enemy casts smite but if i have a target and have mouseover on a friend does cast Flash Heal on me not on my mouseover.
    A very cool signature text.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    As per above. This macro will make you waste targeted healing spells like penance on hunter pets, lock demons and shaman totems, which are all seen as friendlies.
    Healing a pet isn't a waste. In wrath as demo my pet makes a huge chunk of my dps
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Healing a pet isn't a waste. In wrath as demo my pet makes a huge chunk of my dps
    In Retail pets are immortal, so healing them is a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Puxycat View Post
    Your macro does not work for Smite + Flash heal. Does not cast on mouseover healing only on self. If target is enemy casts smite but if i have a target and have mouseover on a friend does cast Flash Heal on me not on my mouseover.
    Alright, this will heavily depend on the conditions to determine what's going on. I'm not sure if the UI revamp fixed some quirks that have existed for a while (such as there being 'dead' space between healthbars on the raid UI to where it would not register your mouse being over a player), but macros will execute whichever condition is first then terminate. There have been some quirks with how things are coded and how macros execute, such as using the 'exists' conditional shouldn't technically be required since it's baked into other conditionals like 'help' but macros don't always work without it for odd reasons... or neutral mobs and improperly flagging of NPCs can have quirky effects... or a list of other issues that Blizz may or may not have fixed since I last played, but in general the more specific and controlled you make your macros, the better chance they'll work as you want. If you need to save space, in most cases dropping the 'exists' conditional if you have 'harm' or 'help' as a conditional is fine.

For example, let's take the following macro:

#showtooltip
    /use [@mouseover,nodead,help,exists] Flash Heal; [@mouseover,nodead,harm,exists] Smite; Flash Heal

When you cast this macro, the following checks will occur: if the mouse cursor is over a friendly player or NPC unit/unit frame that isn't dead it will cast Flash Heal; if the previous condition isn't met, if the mouse cursor is over an enemy player or NPC unit/unit frame that isn't dead it will cast Penance; if both previous conditions aren't met (either your mouse cursor isn't on any unit/unit frame or qualifying target) the macro will attempt to cast Flash Heal based on your stardard targeting rules (aka, it'll check to see if your target will allow Flash Heal to be cast on it, and if you have no target it'll attempt to cast as if you have no target which usually results in healing yourself). Not sure how much they changed the UI options in Dragonflight in terms of default spell casting, but the above should still be the way a macro is parsed by the game.

As my main was a druid, I had so many bloody spells across all my specs my macros got pretty long... in some cases, I'd have 3 to 4 abilities in a single macro to keep the binds down. If you're running into similar issues or just want to be able to cast different spells with similar conditions with the same bind, you can use the modifier conditionals to help out. For example:

/cast [@mouseover,help,nodead,exists,mod:shift] Rejuvenation; [@mouseover,help,nodead,exists] Regrowth

In the above macro, if you are mousing over a friendly unit/unit frame that is not dead while holding down the Shift key you will cast Rejuvenation; if you are mousing over a friendly unit/unit frame that is not down while NOT holding down the Shift key you will cast Regrowth. This will allow you to keep the same targeting conditionals for certain types of spells but allow you to bundle some spells together that will cast based upon if you are using Shift, Ctrl, or Alt keys while casting. Not sure if Blizz expanded the amount of length you can create macros by default, but there should still be some addons that allow you to make macros as long as you want (helpful if you want to really micromanage your macros with conditionals to get them working as you intend).

Also, there's another conditional that's useful for any spell (healing or otherwise) that you want to cast at your mouse cursor but requires a point on the ground:

/cast [@cursor] Blizzard

Without the '@cursor' modifier, sometimes the spells that require you to target an area on the ground will not cast properly if you're trying to mouseover an area with a bunch of enemy/friendly targets. With said modifier it should reliably cast where your cursor is located if possible. As a slight side note, if you put in '@self' instead of '@cursor' the ability will cast centered on your character, which can be useful for some abilities or scenarios.

There's a bunch of other stuff you can do with your macros to expand their cabilities and refine their behaviors, but I'm certain there's still a bunch of guides for that sort of thing. What I mentioned above just scratches the surface of what you can do with macros but will likely cover the needs of most players. Again, not sure what they really changed in Dragonflight in terms of macro functionality and syntax (pretty sure the modifier checking your talents is way different now with the talent trees), but most things should still work.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2022-11-14 at 10:56 AM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by Puxycat View Post
    I recall having a problem exactly like that.

Ok i double checked and i remember having that exact issue and rewriting the macro with a simple change.

/click [@mouseover, harm] ActionButton1; MultiBarLeftButton1

This is what i made in its place, this lets me cast heals on people that are not myself while attacking enemy targets.

Just change the '1' to every number up to 12 and you can bind them to mouse clicks.
    I bound left mouse button with 1-4 using alt/ctrl/shift modifiers, 5-8 for right mouse and 9-12 with my side button.
    Middle click is for targeting and shift-middle click is for menu.

If you are interested in using this system then give it a shot, i found it extremely useful and very easy to customize. Instead of having to open menus to change ability locations i just swap them on my cast bar and its already updated. You can do it without the [@mouseover, harm] part if you dont want to click on enemy targets to attack.

I also have a macro that swaps the main bar to my healer bar and back in case i ever REALLY want them on my main bar quickly
    /swapactionbar 4 1
    This way if you want to go back to heals on your main bar you can quickly switch regardless of whether you can scroll to it or not.