Page 1 of 2
LastLast

1,500-2,000$ USD budget for gaming/school work. Located in NYC.

As title states. I been out the game for so long, need alittle assistance here. My budget is around the 2k mark. Just play WoW and do anki for medical school. More of an intel guy than AMD and just looking for max bang for buck. Hit me and let’s order this by tonight. Thanks in advanced. Prefer a PC part list or just shoot a rundown. I do need everything, using a laptop and it’s done.

- - - Updated - - -

https://techbuyersguru.com/guide/the...ming-pc-build/

Thoughts on this build? Just for WoW Dragonflight pretty much, my school work isn’t demanding at all (YouTube and anki lol).

Quote Originally Posted by Elilol89 View Post
    As title states. I been out the game for so long, need alittle assistance here. My budget is around the 2k mark. Just play WoW and do anki for medical school. More of an intel guy than AMD and just looking for max bang for buck. Hit me and let’s order this by tonight. Thanks in advanced. Prefer a PC part list or just shoot a rundown. I do need everything, using a laptop and it’s done.

- - - Updated - - -

Thoughts on this build? Just for WoW Dragonflight pretty much, my school work isn’t demanding at all (YouTube and anki lol).
    Not sure why you can't see the link when you're in the forum, mods should probably fix that...
    But if you go to the main page, you have a link called "build of the month".

Which is the computer build of the month. You have 4 price points and can pretty much mix and match as you please.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/content...d-of-the-Month

I bought mine last christmas which is pretty much their unicorn but with a 3060TI as GPU hadn't dropped yet.
    Intel will launch a new series and so will nvidia. But if you wanna buy today?
    Go for it, i'm super happy with it.
    I opted for a fractal torrent case because its bigger and will be more future proof with how large nvidia 4 series is looking.

Far as the link? Its shit. Budget cpu, decent motherboard, shit gpu, low memory etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Ehm... I just realized that was from nov 2020...
    Yeh... Maybe they dont do those anymore lol...
    Last edited by tomten; 2022-11-14 at 03:47 PM.

- - - Updated - - -

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sRnQY9

this is a quick build.

I believe OP said he/she preferred Intel over AMD.

I saw this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wV49wc
    Last edited by Rockstaar; 2022-11-14 at 04:24 PM.

Thanks for the input everyone, @Rockstaar you are correct. It's intel > AMD for me unless I'm missing something (been out the game for like 10 years now in terms of being hardcore) I'm open to suggestions. But I need everything, I only have a mouse. 2k max , prefer $1500 but we can push it if it's worth.

- - - Updated - - -

If I wait for Black Friday / Cyber Monday, how much am I looking at saving? 20%? 30%?

Very likely. I'd get there early though as I'm sure lots of people will do the same looking for deals.

looking at saving? 20%? 30%?
    Roughly 0 dollars. Almost all of the black friday deals have already been revealed well ahead of time.

Maybe some storage would be cheaper. CPUs, GPUs, etc, aren't going to drop much if anything.

Couple of important questions:

Resolution?
    Expected Framerate?
    Do you live near a Micro Center?

this is assuming 1080p/60 as your target, though i wouldn't go that low end (at least do high-refresh 1080p).

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qWQqgb

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor ($300.00 @ Best Buy)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML280 Mirror Liquid CPU Cooler ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z690 PG Riptide ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($168.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Mushkin Redline Lumina 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Gigabyte AORUS Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Zotac GAMING Twin Edge OC GeForce RTX 3060 Ti LHR 8 GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III ARGB Pro 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($123.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1377.93
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-15 00:26 EST-0500
    If you do not care about any bells and whistles in terms of the GPU features (DLSS, DSR, Ray Tracing), then you could get similar performance from a Radeon RX 6700XT (or 6750XT, which replaced it) for cheaper.

If you want to step up to reliable 1440p/high refresh, then i'd kick it up to the RTX 3070 (i was going to suggest the 6800XT but it actually isn't any cheaper).

Redone assuming 1440p/120+hz, and including peripherals.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BNMc78

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor ($300.00 @ Best Buy)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML280 Mirror Liquid CPU Cooler ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z690 PG Riptide ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($168.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Mushkin Redline Lumina 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Gigabyte AORUS Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: PNY XLR8 Gaming REVEL EPIC-X RGB GeForce RTX 3070 LHR 8 GB Video Card ($499.99 @ Walmart)
    Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III ARGB Pro 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($123.99 @ Amazon)
    Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer TX3000E 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax PCIe x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($49.99 @ Lenovo)
    Monitor: Dell S2721DGF 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Monitor ($269.99 @ Dell Technologies)
    Keyboard: Redragon S113 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard With Optical Mouse ($34.99 @ Amazon)
    Headphones: Corsair HS60 PRO SURROUND 7.1 Channel Headset ($55.19 @ Amazon)
    Speakers: Creative Labs Pebble V2 8 W 2.0 Channel Speakers ($24.99 @ B&H)
    Total: $1913.08
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-15 00:43 EST-0500
    Re: Peripherals -

The Redragon stuff is... actually pretty decent, given its price point. Its not the best products ever, but they are far better than their price would indicate. Ive bought a ton of their stuff for my son, because hes a teenager and im not buying hin a 120$ Ducky keyboard, and theyve all held up to his abuse and perform well.

The HS60 headset is actually very solid. Hardware Canucks did a review of it and it has some of the best sound under 150-200$ for a very reasonable price. My wife has one, and likes it a great deal, though she does not use the mic (she has a nicer mic on an arm).

The Pebble speakers are just there for when you need basic sound, though for 25$ they are hard to beat. I use them on my personal rig and they do quite well, particularly for a 25$ set of speakers.

You can remove the WiFi card if you dont need WiFi.

The Monitor is a very decent high refresh IPS display that is certified with G-sync.

Superflower PSU comes in a non-RGB version, but its not any cheaper, so i figured why not bling (same with RAM, cooler, case, case fans, and radiator fans). Its all ARGB so with a hub you could likely get them all sync'ed up. CoolerMaster has some decent ARGB splitters for cheap.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2022-11-15 at 05:56 AM.

Why should the 6800XT be cheaper than the 3070 non Ti)? It almost performs like a 3080 Ti.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    You can remove the WiFi card if you dont need WiFi.
    Could also spend that $50 to get a board with WiFi?
    Thanks for the input everyone, @Rockstaar you are correct. It's intel > AMD for me unless I'm missing something (been out the game for like 10 years now in terms of being hardcore) I'm open to suggestions.
    No practical difference between the two. Buy whichever gives you enough juice at the lowest price.
    Last edited by Thes; 2022-11-15 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chiddie View Post
    Why should the 6800XT be cheaper than the 3070 non Ti)? It almost performs like a 3080 Ti.
    lol no it does not. Why does that get perpetuated? It performs like (actually 5% slower than) a 3080. The 6900XT performs between the 3080Ti and 3090.

And for a while there, it (the 6800XT) was cheaper than a 3070, which made it a great value. The 6900XT, if you're not concerned about extra features, is still a much better buy than a 3080Ti or 3090.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thes View Post
    Could also spend that $50 to get a board with WiFi?
    Sure, if you can find one that has similar power delivery that has WiFi that isn't total trash. I didnt see one on the list of available boards that wasnt also significantly more expensive. The add-in card is quite a bit better than on-board WiFi, and if you dont need it, you dont even have to worry about buying it.

No practical difference between the two. Buy whichever gives you enough juice at the lowest price.
    Uhh... Zen 4 is more expensive for less performance at all the various SKU levels, and is on a MUCH more expensive platform at the moment. It makes quite a difference.

lol no it does not. Why does that get perpetuated? It performs like (actually 5% slower than) a 3080. The 6900XT performs between the 3080Ti and 3090.

And for a while there, it (the 6800XT) was cheaper than a 3070, which made it a great value. The 6900XT, if you're not concerned about extra features, is still a much better buy than a 3080Ti or 3090.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, if you can find one that has similar power delivery that has WiFi that isn't total trash. I didnt see one on the list of available boards that wasnt also significantly more expensive. The add-in card is quite a bit better than on-board WiFi, and if you dont need it, you dont even have to worry about buying it.

Uhh... Zen 4 is more expensive for less performance at all the various SKU levels, and is on a MUCH more expensive platform at the moment. It makes quite a difference.
    Here in Italy nVidia cards are definitely not buyable over AMD cards. By a large margin.

The 6900XT costs way less than the 3080 (even the non Ti one) and the 6800XT costs way less than the 3070Ti.

Here in Italy nVidia cards are definitely not buyable over AMD cards. By a large margin.

The 6900XT costs way less than the 3080 (even the non Ti one) and the 6800XT costs way less than the 3070Ti.
    Cool, when that is relevant to the OP in any way, ill let you know.

I didn’t notice that US prices were so different, sorry.

10+ Year Old Account
    because Nvidia, blatantly and to their investors said they were going to be manipulating their remaining 3000 series stock of GPUs to remain 'high in price', due to them having massive surplus, and just because it's obviously not clear to people unless they research it, NONE of the low end > mid range GPUs from Nvidia have received price decreases unlike their halo products which have dropped in price in some places almost by 50% of their MSRP, whereas the likes of the 3060/TI and 3070/TI are basically at the same price now as they were at the height of the pandemic scalper period, kept there on purpose by Nvidia, whereas AMD has seen their cards drop in price across the board with many reviewers building systems now, highly recommending you purchase any of AMD GPUs due to the massive price to performance gains with their price reductions and firmware/software improvements since release making them much much better than what Nvidia can offer at the same price point with the only thing keeping people in the green walled garden being the vastly superior software suite.

as to the OP: AMD are king of productivity, and unless you're buying the new 13900k and taking it balls to the wall AMD still wins on gaming with the 5800x3d chip from last generation in many titles, one of those being WoW:Shadowlands, where the 5800x3d completely demolished the new halo product from Intel in all benchmarks it did for that application, for a third of the overall price, and with the 'X3D' chips for the current AMD generation (Ryzen 7000) coming early next year and Intel having nothing to offer that could even come close to competing with that, going Intel right now means you're happy settling for mediocre performance at a high cost while simultaneously acting like a space heater due to the obscene levels of power draw they have.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/

if you desperately want an Intel system that is what i would build as per your demands above, however if you want the best value for money then i would recommend this:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/

- - - Updated - - -

i just did a cursory check of pricing in USD vs where i am in the UK, and the price for a 3070TI/3080/3080TI/3090/3090TI was between 10% and 15% higher for Nvidia cards than it was for the corresponding AMD equivalent, so even in the US Nvidia is still much higher in price than a comparative AMD solution unless you have some extreme regional bias where you are and there's a regional price dip that's not reflected nationwide, otherwise the trend the person you were trying to mock is seen globally, even in the mighty usofa.
    Last edited by rogoth; 2022-11-15 at 10:07 AM.

Just to clarify a bit, I’m not a fan of Intel or AMD of nVdia or whatever, I’m only fan of the best quality vs price ratio.

In Italy the 3000 generation cards of nVidia have been basically un buyable from day one and have still non sense prices nowadays.

3060Ti sells for about 500 euros
    3070 sells for about 575 euros
    3070Ti sells for about 700 euros
    3080 sells for about 820 euros
    3080Ti sells for about 1200 euros
    3090 sells for about 1300 euros
    3090Ti sells for about 1500 euros

6700XT sells for about 475 euros
    6800XT sells for about 675 euros
    6900XT sells for about 800 euros
    6950XT sells for about 1100 euros

Guess why we don’t buy nVidia here.

Just to clarify a bit, I’m not a fan of Intel or AMD of nVdia or whatever, I’m only fan of the best quality vs price ratio.

In Italy the 3000 generation cards of nVidia have been basically un buyable from day one and have still non sense prices nowadays.

6700XT sells for about 475 euros
    6800XT sells for about 675 euros
    6900XT sells for about 800 euros
    6950XT sells for about 1100 euros

Guess why we don’t buy nVidia here.
    Wow, such amazing prices. Where can you buy nvidia cards in italy?
    I paid over double for my 3060TI last christmas. Would have been THRILLED to have a 3060ti for 500 euro lmao.... "unbuyable" "nonsense prices".
    Yeh, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    Wow, such amazing prices. Where can you buy nvidia cards in italy?
    I paid over double for my 3060TI last christmas. Would have been THRILLED to have a 3060ti for 500 euro lmao.... "unbuyable" "nonsense prices".
    Yeh, you have no idea what you're talking about.
    Whatever price above MSRP is nonsense price.

If you bought a 3060Ti for 1000 euros you’ve been scammed. That GPU is not even worth 500 euros.

This end of year prices are better than last end of year prices but they are still way too high for nVidia cards.

As per when a new TV comes out and the actual product becomes “obsolete” and its price falls under the MSRP, it should also happen for GPUs. Actually it happens for EVERYTHING BUT GPUs. There isn’t any other single “electronic piece” in the world that after two years on the market still sells above its MSRP.
    Last edited by chiddie; 2022-11-15 at 01:16 PM.

This isn't really the place to talk about EU pricing when the OP specified location that was in the US.

You realize that those prices arent terribly higher than they are in the US, right?

A non-FE 3060Ti runs about 450-500$. (The FE is still available at Best Buy for the 399$ MSRP)
    A non-FE 3080 is roughy 800$

You're not paying particularly inflated prices. They are higher, but they aren't massively higher. At least not until you hit the 3080Ti, 3090, and 3090Ti, which have been put on steep sales here recently. (3090s down around 900$).

But, as was already stated, this isnt relevant to the OP, who is buying in the US, as they clearly stated.

In the US, the 3070 is price-comparable to the AMD competition and has more features.

The 6800XT is still a good price, but at 100$ more expensive for ~10% performance gain (at current prices) and no comparable features to DLSS, DLDSR, and absolutey awful RT performance, i can't recommend it. Depending on how sales are going, id recommend it over the 3080 if you dont care about the extra features, and id definitely recommend the 6900XT over the 3080Ti+ unless you really want RT.

At the budget the OP is trying to hit, though, the 3070 seems to be the best price/performer, particularly when you take DLSS into account, as it will more than make up any performance difference between the 3070 and 6800XT.

You realize that those prices arent terribly higher than they are in the US, right?

A non-FE 3060Ti runs about 450-500$. (The FE is still available at Best Buy for the 399$ MSRP)
    A non-FE 3080 is roughy 800$

You're not paying particularly inflated prices. They are higher, but they aren't massively higher. At least not until you hit the 3080Ti, 3090, and 3090Ti, which have been put on steep sales here recently. (3090s down around 900$).

But, as was already stated, this isnt relevant to the OP, who is buying in the US, as they clearly stated.

In the US, the 3070 is price-comparable to the AMD competition and has more features.

The 6800XT is still a good price, but at 100$ more expensive for ~10% performance gain (at current prices) and no comparable features to DLSS, DLDSR, and absolutey awful RT performance, i can't recommend it. Depending on how sales are going, id recommend it over the 3080 if you dont care about the extra features, and id definitely recommend the 6900XT over the 3080Ti+ unless you really want RT.

At the budget the OP is trying to hit, though, the 3070 seems to be the best price/performer, particularly when you take DLSS into account, as it will more than make up any performance difference between the 3070 and 6800XT.
    Honestly, given the actual prices, unless you care ONLY about RT, there’s no reason to suggest whatever nVidia cards below 3080 (included) over the 6800XT.
    Last edited by chiddie; 2022-11-16 at 09:00 PM.