BACK after years - LF info

Hello! As the title says I've been gone for years. Wrath and Cat are where I played most, just barely touching the others. My memory of them is even blurry. I think I stopped playing because I didn't know what I wanted from the game. I raided seriously for a few years and I do not want to go back to that. It was just too much of a commitment, and the stress was crazy. I have alot of available time to play, but it's piecemeal. I want to be able to leave the game the moment I want to.

But I have always loved the game. I secretly wish they would make a single player version.....but anyways. I'm coming back, but I'd like to really just play for the quests and rep rewards, profession rewards, I kinda want to do the grindy stuff we have historically hated. I missed the legendary weapon quests, I don't even know if that's a thing anymore. I'd like to do those really long quests that people rarely finish. I just want to take my time with the game. I believe there's more than enough content to keep me busy and engaged, especially since getting to max level to raid is not my goal.

What I need to know is what I missed. Is there a post that kinda of consolidates the content per expansion? I know I'm asking alot, but I'd like to do the stuff I missed, as much as possible anyways. I'll probably do LFR but that's much later. If anyone has suggestions I would really apprciate it!

7+ Year Old Account
    Shift+J opens the journal guide in game
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Does that work if I want to go through the expansions?

Quote Originally Posted by Dawningsun View Post
    If anyone has suggestions I would really apprciate it!
    Wowhead has guides for returning players. Simply pick the guide according to when you last played and it will tell you roughly "this was the storyline, these gamechanges happened" and finish up at.... whichever point the guides were last updated for.

What you missed since Cata? That's 12 years ago. I think you need to be a bit more specific than that?
    But if you just want to slam it all - Wowhead has guides at https://www.wowhead.com/guides <- sort by expac

I played a bit of Battle for Azeroth, I think I remmeber the garrison. But I don't mind going back, redoing it or whatever. My COVID project was researching my family history. I went back 400+ years with documentation, took a year full time to do it though. So I have the patience.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh this is smart! I can play each expansion like I never missed it! I wouldn't have thought of approaching it like this. Thanks!

A few things from a few expansions are now unavailable, but for the most part, you can just do all the quests in order. The only issue is that you will be guided towards something called "Chromie Time", that will put you in the path of an expansion of your choice, but you will be ejected from it as soon as you it lvl50. However, you can skip this Chromie Time and just go questing as you wish.

The main struggle for it is where to start each expansion, basically those are the starting point you're looking for :

- You start Mist of Pandaria from a quest in the central building of Orgrimmar, the quest will send you to a flying ship
    - You start Warlord of Draenor from the Dark Portal (Azeroth Side). However, the blasted land is a phased zone, so make sure to check if the portal is red before entering and taking the quest
    - You start Legion from an orc at the Dranoshar Barricade. There might be a phasing issue, I had to request a GM to help me on this one
    - Battle for Azeroth is the expansion that you will be naturally guided towards

That's the basic for Horde, I'm not sure about Alliance. If you're asking for the specifics inside the expansion (like which zone was released after which one and should then be done after), you can check the patch during which the quest have been released.

If you need a time estimate, it took me aproximately 2.5 years, but you've already done Classic, TBC, WOTLK and Cata, so it should be shorter for you.
    MMO Champs :

Quote Originally Posted by Zardas View Post
    A few things from a few expansions are now unavailable, but for the most part, you can just do all the quests in order. The only issue is that you will be guided towards something called "Chromie Time", that will put you in the path of an expansion of your choice, but you will be ejected from it as soon as you it lvl50. However, you can skip this Chromie Time and just go questing as you wish.

The main struggle for it is where to start each expansion, basically those are the starting point you're looking for :

- You start Mist of Pandaria from a quest in the central building of Orgrimmar, the quest will send you to a flying ship
    - You start Warlord of Draenor from the Dark Portal (Azeroth Side). However, the blasted land is a phased zone, so make sure to check if the portal is red before entering and taking the quest
    - You start Legion from an orc at the Dranoshar Barricade. There might be a phasing issue, I had to request a GM to help me on this one
    - Battle for Azeroth is the expansion that you will be naturally guided towards

That's the basic for Horde, I'm not sure about Alliance. If you're asking for the specifics inside the expansion (like which zone was released after which one and should then be done after), you can check the patch during which the quest have been released.

If you need a time estimate, it took me aproximately 2.5 years, but you've already done Classic, TBC, WOTLK and Cata, so it should be shorter for you.
    I think I might actually do this. Go back to the start and do a full playthrough. I just don't want to miss things I can still get. Like the Undying title, if I remember correctly. I really hate that I never got that. It's sad that some stuff is just gone.

If you really want to experience all the expansions the proper way (read: without massively outgearing them), you can level up a bit to get enough talents/skills and then stop experience gain (by a proper NPC in the capital city), and just play them any way you want with Chromie time (the zones will just scale to your level). That's acutally a MASSIVE amount of content nowadays.

Since Chromie time ends automatically on level 50, best would be to stop experience gain on level 49 I think...?

Quote Originally Posted by Rageonit View Post
    If you really want to experience all the expansions the proper way (read: without massively outgearing them), you can level up a bit to get enough talents/skills and then stop experience gain (by a proper NPC in the capital city), and just play them any way you want with Chromie time (the zones will just scale to your level). That's acutally a MASSIVE amount of content nowadays.

Since Chromie time ends automatically on level 50, best would be to stop experience gain on level 49 I think...?
    Wait...really? Oh that's smart! I was worried about outleveling the zones too quickly. Hmm. That gives me an idea. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rageonit View Post

It really makes sense because once you are too powerful for a region, you end up just rushing through it because it's always too easy.

Wait...really? Oh that's smart! I was worried about outleveling the zones too quickly. Hmm. That gives me an idea. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

It really makes sense because once you are too powerful for a region, you end up just rushing through it because it's always too easy.
    Even Shadowlands is included in Timewalking Campaigns now. So you really can just do whatever you want till level 49, turn off exp, and go through every expansion's campaign at that level in whatever order you want. Just talk to Chromie by the embassy to switch timelines.

- - - Updated - - -

The only issue is that you won't be able to solo the raids, dungeons, and the rare group missions that way.
    MMO Champs :

m opens your map usually