Elden Ring will probably win GOTY but personally I would give it to GoW. I love Elden Ring but there are so many things that bother me in that game whereas I can't think of a single thing in my 30 hours of GoW so far that I don't like.

The brilliant parts of Elden Ring are brilliant but it is greatly overhyped as some amazing innovation in gaming just for having a large, mostly useless world with some skyrim style copy pasted dungeons and re-using the same bosses 10-20 times each.

The legacy dungeons and unique boss fights are mostly amazing, but the open world in ER is the most overrated shit in some time and I would of been happier if those resources went into making a extra legacy dungeon or 2 with a hub world ala old souls formula vs that completely useless and empty BoTW style map.

I don't think Ragnarok is GOTY worthy either really, it's great but it's literally just doing what it's supposed to do and what I expected from it as a sequel to 2018. No need to award it as the amazing achievement it was in 2018 just for being the same thing but better. If 2018 didn't win GOTY then it would be more deserving. It's actually quite sad these are the only legitimate GOTY contenders as far as media is concerned.

Maybe I'm looking at it from a glass half empty perspective but if the reality is the best 2 games of the year where just Dark Souls 4 and God of War 2018 part 2 it seems like such a terrible year for gaming. Especially coming off it takes two winning the award last year which was absolutely deserved and a masterpiece that helped change perspectives on what gaming can be. Both are great games but I absolute loathe the reality this year couldn't put out a legitimate competitor to either.

Guess Elden Ring should get it since Bloodborne got jobbed in 2015 to jank ass witcher 3 and Sekiro isn't really souls so I'm not counting that as a GOTY winner for the formula.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2022-11-16 at 06:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Real talk, Kirby and the Forgotten Land will win GOTY.

GOW, as good as it is, has some very annyoing tidbits. The game handholding you all the time pisses me off, and some boring main story filler like the Ironwood is just way too long. Everything else is on par with the original though, some parts are even better.

Elden Ring on the other hand just destroyed everything in its path when it came out. Everyone already had extreme expectations, but it delivered and then some. The only criticisms are that quest lines are too obtuse, the PC version wasn't that great in the first days of release, or that some bosses are recycled. The first two are the typical Fromsoft formula, the latter is understandable when the game literally has like 140 bosses and is 120 hours long. I also completely disagree on the empty map criticism, I felt like I was doing something important and unique in 95% of it.

I'll never forget the moment when I was like 12 hours in Elden Ring exploring the first part of the map, thinking wow, this is huge, and then I got randomly teleported by THAT chest, and opened the map to see where I was. Really blew my fucking mind.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2022-11-16 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Real talk, Kirby and the Forgotten Land will win GOTY.

GOW, as good as it is, has some very annyoing tidbits. The game handholding you all the time pisses me off, and some boring main story filler like the Ironwood is just way too long. Everything else is on par with the original though, some parts are even better.

Elden Ring on the other hand just destroyed everything in its path when it came out. Everyone already had extreme expectations, but it delivered and then some. The only criticisms are that quest lines are too obtuse or that some bosses are recycled. The first is the typical Fromsoft formula, the latter is understandable when the game literally has like 140 bosses and is 120 hours long. I also completely disagree on the empty map criticism, I felt like I was doing something important and unique in 95% of it.

I'll never forget the moment when I was like 12 hours in Elden Ring exploring the first part of the map, thinking wow, this is huge, and then I got randomly teleported by THAT chest, and opened the map to see where I was. Really blew my fucking mind.
    "Felt like I was doing something"

Yea I always felt like I was doing something also... something I already did many times over in the game. The open world bloat does absolutely nothing for the game and if the useless trash was removed, replaced with a hub world to the legacy dungeons and had the 30 or so uniqueish bosses as all one offs I wouldn't think any lesser of the game.

Elden Ring is a great game, the open world has jack shit to do with that though. Literal copy paste filler to attract normies with "ahhhhhmagerd open world!!!!!!!!". At least they still made real dungeons though *looking at you BoTW*.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2022-11-16 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    The brilliant parts of Elden Ring are brilliant but it is greatly overhyped as some amazing innovation in gaming just for having a large, mostly useless world with some skyrim style copy pasted dungeons and re-using the same bosses 10-20 times each.

The legacy dungeons and unique boss fights are mostly amazing, but the open world in ER is the most overrated shit in some time and I would of been happier if those resources went into making a extra legacy dungeon or 2 with a hub world ala old souls formula vs that completely useless and empty BoTW style map.

I don't think Ragnarok is GOTY worthy either really, it's great but it's literally just doing what it's supposed to do and what I expected from it as a sequel to 2018. No need to award it as the amazing achievement it was in 2018 just for being the same thing but better. If 2018 didn't win GOTY then it would be more deserving. It's actually quite sad these are the only legitimate GOTY contenders as far as media is concerned.

Maybe I'm looking at it from a glass half empty perspective but if the reality is the best 2 games of the year where just Dark Souls 4 and God of War 2018 part 2 it seems like such a terrible year for gaming. Especially coming off it takes two winning the award last year which was absolutely deserved and a masterpiece that helped change perspectives on what gaming can be. Both are great games but I absolute loathe the reality this year couldn't put out a legitimate competitor to either.

Guess Elden Ring should get it since Bloodborne got jobbed in 2015 to jank ass witcher 3 and Sekiro isn't really souls so I'm not counting that as a GOTY winner for the formula.
    Games are ultimately entertainment. A game doesn't have to completely change the way you think about games to qualify for an award.

Why do you think people largely stopped caring about the Oscars? The winners are often times the most artsy movies and doesn't necessarily reflect the opinions of the wider movie going audiences.

It's perfectly acceptable that the best game in a year is "the same, but better" as long as it's "the same" as something that was already great.

Personally GoW and GoW:R perfectly nails the balance between an interesting narrative and fun gameplay for me.

In some ways it's very reminiscent of the kind of linear story progression of Half-Life 2, except with significantly more optional side content.

My only real complaint is the inability to disable puzzle hints altogether.
    Last edited by Unlimited Power; 2022-11-16 at 12:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

"Felt like I was doing something"

Yea I always felt like I was doing something also... something I already did many times over in the game. The open world bloat does absolutely nothing for the game and if the useless trash was removed, replaced with a hub world to the legacy dungeons and had the 30 or so uniqueish bosses as all one offs I wouldn't think any lesser of the game.

Elden Ring is a great game, the open world has jack shit to do with that though. Literal copy paste filler to attract normies with "ahhhhhmagerd open world!!!!!!!!". At least they still made real dungeons though *looking at you BoTW*.
    Lol, using the word "normies" as a serious anything.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I hope Stray gets GotY, just so I can see a few fandoms melt down.

Award shows are an irrelevant joke anyway. I'm not sure why anyone outside the industry gives a shit.
    I'll be honest, day 1 Stray buyer, liked the game a good bit...if it got GotY, I would melt down. It was like an 8/10 for me that was pretty short and had an ending that I wasn't super satisfied with. Elden and Ragnarok really hit/are hitting on all cylinders for me.

...but I understand the sentiment. I have preferences too, haha. I only played Inscryption this year, but if it had been a 2022 game, I'd put it in the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    Lol, using the word "normies" as a serious anything.
    Would you like it better if I instead wrote "people that didn't buy souls games before"? Because your useless nitpick does nothing to devalue the point. Sounds like you wanted a reason to be offended, but it's pretty clear Elden Ring copy pasted content in ways from software doesn't typically do just to pad out the idea of having an open world for mass market appeal. You can platinum the game while ignoring half of the content in the game- that's how much of an afterthought it was to them.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2022-11-16 at 11:45 PM.

Would you like it better if I instead wrote "people that didn't buy souls games before"? Because your useless nitpick does nothing to devalue the point. Sounds like you wanted a reason to be offended, but it's pretty clear Elden Ring copy pasted content in ways from software doesn't typically do just to pad out the idea of having an open world for mass market appeal. You can platinum the game while ignoring half of the content in the game- that's how much of an afterthought it was to them.
    I can platinium most games that way. Focus on collectibles and presto!

I'm not offended by your opinion of Elden Ring, hell i did not even finished it. Just find it funny, like angry rabbit. Or wabbit. Using word "normies" did not help me in taking your seriously but of course i respect your opinion and even agree that Elden Ring has some copy pasted dungeons and bosses. Does not take anything from my enjoyment of the game tho. For me this kind of stuff is a nitpick.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I hope Stray gets GotY, just so I can see a few fandoms melt down.

Award shows are an irrelevant joke anyway. I'm not sure why anyone outside the industry gives a shit.
    I hope GoW dont get it. Same reason pretty much. But also think Kratos is unbereable to watch "act".

Decided to play Sonic Frontiers and really enjoyed it. It has some problems but nothing that ruined my enjoyment. Definitely interested in seeing what they do with next game.

Bluepoint, what should they be doing?(not what ARE they doing)

Could be another remake, could be their own game.

For argument's sake, let's say they are making either a Bloodborne remaster/remake for PS5 and PC, or Bloodborne 2 as a PS5 exclusive with little/no input from Fromsoft.

So which would you prefer? Is Bluepoint just a great cover band, or should they get to spread their wings a little? I'm honestly on the fence.

10+ Year Old Account
    If anyone hasn't played it yet, Mass Effect Legendary Edition is free on ps plus this month, and it's a must play.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    If anyone hasn't played it yet, Mass Effect Legendary Edition is free on ps plus this month, and it's a must play.
    The monthly essential games have been pretty damn good since they changed PS+. Before that it was mostly random shit with a decent game every few months but I feel like every month since the change over has had 1 banger or more.

Too bad premium has mostly been a waste if you were hoping for more classic games.

Did Norco finally come out on PS5? I can't find much about it, but I saw some reviews pop up.

If so, they did a terrible job of advertising that port. I was hyped before they delayed the release earlier this year, and was expecting a press release or tweet or something for the new date. Are they trying to keep this game a secret? I must have missed it somehow and I'm sure that I'm one of the few who was actively excited about the port and looking for news about it.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-5/norco
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2022-12-08 at 07:31 PM.

Okay, I got norco and it's good so far. Writing is good.

Also, Chained Echoes, got both on gamepass(they also on ps5), and Chained Echoes is really interesting so far.

Forspoken is out this week and early impressions seem to be fairly positive. I've heard the game described as FF15 but improved, which I'm ok with because I loved 15 despite its problems.

The biggest concern is performance as it doesn't seem to hit a consistent 60fps on PS5 and the PC-recommended specs are insane. I'm personally leaning towards PC since I just got a new PC with an RTX 3080 and 32GB of ram so hopefully it performs well enough.

Still gonna wait on reviews but I'm choosing to remain cautiously optimistic. Worst case we still got Dead Space this week.

I just went ahead and preordered the PSVR2 (Bundle with Horizon Zero, and a charging station for controllers) for the sake of it.

Want to try that Kayaking game...

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    I just went ahead and preordered the PSVR2 (Bundle with Horizon Zero, and a charging station for controllers) for the sake of it.

Got my pre-order as well. Love VR on my quest 2 and after enjoying Resident Evil 4 VR I'm really excited to check out Village in VR as well as Horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post

Trying to convince the wife she really wants PS2VR as it will help her play GT7, if she starts playing GT7 of course...
    Recent stories along the lines of 'PSVR 2 Unlikely to Ever Work on PC, Says Creator Behind PSVR 1 Compatibility Driver' and the fact War Thunder probably wont have support make so I'm not going to be too upset if she says no and just badger her about PC headset instead