Page 1 of 17
... LastLast

Dragonflying should become evergreen, Legacy flying should be slowly replaced.

https://imgur.com/a/SGi3Y6D

This is how it feels on live now after finally trying the Soar ability, even as just a simplified version it immediately made me hate coming back to normal flying. I can not wait until Dragonflight comes out just so I can spend time flying around, it's so refreshing. I swear, this better become evergreen and the start of 'mount classes' in Warcraft just like how they have a variety of 'mount classes' in Guild Wars 2.

I really hope that by the end of this expansion, all of the Dragon, Pterrordax, Gryphons, Wyrms, and Protos have their animations retargeted so they can be integrated into the new flight system. Then over the next few expansions, they should slowly come up with other 'mount classes' for mounts that don't fit in those previously mentioned classes. I'd love to see all sorts of new methods of traveling.

Dragonflying is probably the single most refreshing updated mechanic WoW has received since launch and I hope it does to travel what Mythic+ did for dungeons.

Too early to judge. Normal flying is good, exactly because it allows avoiding bad ground content design. In order to fully replace it, content design should be fully fixed too. And it's impossible. Because, I guess, Blizzard don't even have common content design guidelines, like "Never do this, never do that", so they constantly make mistakes here and there.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Then over the next few expansions, they should slowly come up with other 'mount classes' for mounts that don't fit in those previously mentioned classes.
    A pipe dream.

They can't even do heritage armors consistently. This is an order of magnitudes more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugani View Post

This is how it feels on live now after finally trying the Soar ability, even as just a simplified version it immediately made me hate coming back to normal flying. I can not wait until Dragonflight comes out just so I can spend time flying around, it's so refreshing. I swear, this better become evergreen and the start of 'mount classes' in Warcraft just like how they have a variety of 'mount classes' in Guild Wars 2.

I really hope that by the end of this expansion, all of the Dragon, Pterrordax, Gryphons, Wyrms, and Protos have their animations retargeted so they can be integrated into the new flight system. Then over the next few expansions, they should slowly come up with other 'mount classes' for mounts that don't fit in those previously mentioned classes. I'd love to see all sorts of new methods of traveling.

Dragonflying is probably the single most refreshing updated mechanic WoW has received since launch and I hope it does to travel what Mythic+ did for dungeons.
    they would need to rework the mechanics and modelling on EVERY other dragon based flying mount.

and then you cant really call it dragonflying if your flying around on a Wasp, or a Bee, or a pig....

its an expansion feature tied to the miningames in Dragonflight, and works well with the expac.

yes it is fun, and more intuitive and reactive than current flying.

but with Old Flying not being worked on for Years, i dont think they will do anything.
    as they have been trying to cut down on it for years.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikazz View Post
    they would need to rework the mechanics and modelling on EVERY other dragon based flying mount.

and then you cant really call it dragonflying if your flying around on a Wasp, or a Bee, or a pig....

its an expansion feature tied to the miningames in Dragonflight, and works well with the expac.

yes it is fun, and more intuitive and reactive than current flying.

but with Old Flying not being worked on for Years, i dont think they will do anything.
    as they have been trying to cut down on it for years.
    Except they don't, old models simply get a generic animation added on with their flying. Super easy. It won't look great, but it won't look worse then the current flying.
    Also all old dragon models already have it applied just not enabled. You can see this now with how for example the frosteyrm protodrake takes off. It is using the new dragon riding animation, but just not actually entering drsgonnriding.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Except they don't, old models simply get a generic animation added on with their flying. Super easy. It won't look great, but it won't look worse then the current flying.
    Also all old dragon models already have it applied just not enabled. You can see this now with how for example the frosteyrm protodrake takes off. It is using the new dragon riding animation, but just not actually entering drsgonnriding.
    This is further expanded, the five core dragonflying mounts are clearly using the standard Drake, Gryphon, Wyrm, Pterrordax, and Proto-drake. That knocks out a very large portion of flying mounts. Then they can apply this same style of flying to other mounts where it fits.
    Last edited by Sugani; 2022-11-17 at 04:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    but it would still look clunky with a lot of the mounts and not actually work.

they actually created new rigging elements with the new dragon models to allow them to fly in the way they do with dragon riding.

yes the new Frost Wyrm has this rigging.

but generic rigging added to all previous mounts wouldnt work, as you have wyverns, wasps, bees, pigs, horses, it would look clunky and stupid.

just because its good doesnt mean all old mounts need to use it,

just allow us to use dragon riding outside of Dragon isles after the expansion ends, with the dragons we get in the isles.

- - - Updated - - -

This is further expanded, the five core dragonflying mounts are clearly using the standard Drake, Gryphon, Wyrm, Pterrordax, and Proto-drake. That knocks out a very large portion of flying mounts. Then they can apply this same style of flying to other mounts where it fits.
    they use parts that have been added to a new style based rig that works with the dragon riding system.

the old models themselves would need to be rerigged to this base tyle that works with dragon riding,

this is something i dont see blizzard doing.

ill put it this way, when a new mount comes out that uses a previous mounts skeleton but has different aesthetics, half the pop loses their minds and complains about rehashing.

it would be a lot of work to go back in and pull apart models to re-add them to a system and rerig them to use for Dragonflying when its an expansion based feature,

not many if any at all expansion features outlast the expansion they were released in.
    Last edited by Kikazz; 2022-11-17 at 05:37 AM.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

as long as dragonriding remains as an option after DF, i will be happy.
    let others fly how they want, but please let me keep flying how i want as well.
    i am even fine with keeping it to the dragonriding mounts if that increases the odds of dragonriding staying as a feature.
    The above mentioned remarks, ideas and notions are simply my thought on this topic. I do not wish to aggravate, denounce or criticize anyone who, for whatever reason, may disagree.

15+ Year Old Account
    They said that starting with DF they're focusing more on doing evergreen features and not just expansion one-offs. I don't know how they'd bring it forward but I think they already hinted that it's sticking around.

I love the idea of mount classes, it adds so much to collecting.

It would be nice to see it extended to ground mounts too, like heavy ground mounts (kodo, Ellen) stomp when dismounted which stuns nearby enemies and grants a shield, flying mounts all get slow fall or glide, agile mounts like raptors or mechanostriders can jump real high, horses run faster on roads, predators fight for you briefly after dismounting, dragons take a deep breath and do am aoe before flying away etc etc.

Make it so you can only take 3 mounts with you at a time or something so you have to make a choice at the stables

10+ Year Old Account
    No thanks, instead, look with a brighter perspective.

Old flying should be connected with the wingless mounts (Rays, helicopter, carpet, disk, etc). The mechanics of Dragonriding should be updated and added to all the mounts with wings (Dragons, Wyverns, Gryphons, etc). There. Solved. Mounts should be given and keep benefits like the Sky Golem which can herb without dismounting, or the Strider with water walking, and now with some Otters having underwater bonuses.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I like new Dragonflight flaying, but still i want use old style flaying in new zones very often. Lack of ability to hoover over quest area infinitely, lack of slow speed precision. I want use both type, new for long travel and dynamic bursts, old for pixel point precision. New dragonflight is like heavy support machine gun: old is like police sniper rifle

TLDR :

Dragonflying :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M249_l..._Para_ACOG.jpg

Old style flying:

https://photo.weaponsystems.net/imag...r_m700_p01.jpg
    Last edited by Hibiki; 2022-11-17 at 06:41 AM. Reason: adding picture links

Quote Originally Posted by Kikazz View Post
    they use parts that have been added to a new style based rig that works with the dragon riding system.

the old models themselves would need to be rerigged to this base tyle that works with dragon riding,

this is something i dont see blizzard doing.
    No entirely. There is something called animation retargeting they could deploy that could transfer the animation from one skeleton to another.

Again. Dragonriding aims at becoming replacement for flightpaths. Because they're actually terrible design, that takes players out of the world. You can't jump out of flightpath at any moment, even if you see something interesting, like rare or treasure.

But dragonriding ISN'T replacement for ordinal flying.

What casuals don't like:
    1) When content is overtuned
    2) When they can't avoid it
    3) Artificial obstacles, like maze-like ways from quest hub to quest spot. Just to waste time. You know. This isn't even logical. When you travel from point A to point B IRL - you pick the shortest route possible not to waste time. So why do this NPCs always build their roads the weirdest way possible?
    4) When content isn't replayable due to #1, #2 and #3

Like may be it's ok to kill overtuned mob 1 vs 1, when player has enough room and time to do it. But it's not ok, when:
    1) There are packs of mobs, that are impossible to deal with
    2) Content is too claustrophobic to avoid them
    3) Respawn rate is too high, so mobs respawn quicker, than player kills them

Blizzard call it "challenge" and expect players to "overcome" it. And even more. They do everything to force player to do it and to take all ways to avoid obstacles away from player. But how player can do it? M? Find group? Go to dungeon and get overgear? Buy P2W token and pay for M+ boost? Player doesn't have any "gameplay" tools to avoid such obstacles. And game should be about "playing", i.e. finding "gameplay" solutions of problems. Not about trying to find them "outside" of game.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

No. My guild master can only play with one hand and has a very hard time with dragon flying. She didn't feel bad for 18 years and how she has to?
    It's one thing designing a game in a certain way from the get go and another deciding to change it in a way that alienates people.

They should remove flying at all. Yeah its super fast and comfortable, but its bad for immersion.

Eh. Dragon flight is okay, but I don't want it replacing old flight. If they keep it to those current dragon mounts and perhaps add further mounts in the future to also use it, that's okay.

That old flying thing that the boomers use is super slow, but man, have you seen this HOVER thing that they can do? I mean, you can just sit there in the air like FOREVER!

This is how it feels on live now after finally trying the Soar ability,[/B]
    The problem I have with that link is that it compares snippets of the best moments of new feature with regular current every day mount behavior. It's literally like watching a really good trailer of a boring movie. You get all the good parts, skipping on the long, tedious and problematic ones.

It's too early to decide if dragonriding is better than regular mount flying - especially on the ... pun intended... long run. Sure, dragonriding is more active ability, more engaging and adrenaline inducing. But at the same time it requires lots of attention to stay airborne. With regular mount I can set flight level and direction and go bio or get a drink.

Both mechanics should be available as they provide different benefits and one cannot fully replace the other.

Quote Originally Posted by saixilein View Post
    They should remove flying at all. Yeah its super fast and comfortable, but its bad for immersion.
    They should remove walking at all. It's immersive but bad for exploration speed and leveling.
    C wut I did here?

The fact that you don't like it doesn't mean it should be removed.

And if you don't like it - don't use it. Simple.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    No. My guild master can only play with one hand and has a very hard time with dragon flying. She didn't feel bad for 18 years and how she has to?
    It's one thing designing a game in a certain way from the get go and another deciding to change it in a way that alienates people.
    You can easily do dragon riding with 1 hand, just need your mouse.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content