Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkrind View Post
    Fuck feeling terrible for players, ding dong the bots are dead, long live spam free realms!

I am excited to see what's going to happen in the game without them.
    It seems that you don't know how region clients and servers work. If anything, this might make it even worse

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Why would they go to jail?
    Because China will harshly retaliate against people circumventing IP bans with VPNs and accessing "forbidden" western content.

Feel bad for the players who have had accounts for this long and who are just going to end up losing it all. That's pretty awful, even as someone who willingly forfeited their own account of 15+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by phattsao View Post
    Because China will harshly retaliate against people circumventing IP bans with VPNs and accessing "forbidden" western content.
    You're making the assumption that the CCP isn't controlling the bot farms in the first place. Which, because of the amount of revenue involved, they almost certainly are to some degree at least. Many laws there fall into the category of "Illegal unless it benefits the CCP".

The only people this hurts are the regular players.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    The game services operated (including "World of Warcraft", "Hearthstone", "Overwatch", "Diablo III", "StarCraft II", "Warcraft III: Remastered Edition", "Heroes of the Storm"), and "Diablo : Immortal service will not be affected.

pretty sure it will... anyway there's still a chance they can come to an arrangement.

- - - Updated - - -

Bobby. Who else could it be?
    Why couldn’t be a Chinese random dude? Why has him to be from US Blizzard?

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    After the game server is closed, all account data and character data in each game (including but not limited to characters, remaining game time, game props, materials, recharge information, etc.) game data will be sealed. We will properly handle game data in accordance with the requirements of laws and regulations to protect the legitimate rights and interests of users.

What a slap in the face after having played wow for example for so many years taken away. Such a waste of time.
    This happens with basically every single online game. Very very few online games have a system in place where people actually own their characters/items. It can all be taken away at any time. Just like is being done here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by God Save The King View Post
    Could also be Mike Ybarra, CEO of Blizzard. I'm not sure who would be negotiating specifically with NetEase over Blizzard properties. Bobby is CEO of Activision Blizzard as a whole. Could also be someone in the political sphere of China, as there is some oversight from the CCP when involving foreign business interests in China.
    I doubt it was someone in the CCP, if only for the fact they'd likely be afraid to say anything ill about the CCP...I mean the CCP can be part of the problem but I doubt they'd refer to anyone involved with the CCP a jerk

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Not really. You do not buy the game per se. You buy a subscribtion. Same on Steam. If steam goes offline someday you theoretically loose access to you entire library.
    Ignoring the fact steam has come out and said if they ever take steam offline, they have a kill switch for their DRM that will make any guys you owned DRM free

Oh no. Anyway...

Nothing like completely unfounded conspiracy theories to fuel the flames for the knee-jerk reactionary folks, eh?

Two things --

1.) This will have no impact on the unfathomable number of Chinese WoW players who already play on NA/EU realms. There are many of them. Here's one of the best guilds on Illidan-US, for example. In fact, all those displaced by this announcement will likely be pouring onto NA/EU realms at unprecedented levels, failing Blizzard doesn't find another distributor for China in the meantime.

2.) We have no idea who the "jerk" is in this message. I'm extremely disinclined to take the CCP's (*cough* NetEase *cough*) side on this because they have a very well-documented history of distorting information to make themselves look better so only time will tell if we ever find out what really happened here.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2022-11-17 at 06:33 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    If anything, we'll get more.

Gold farmers on non-CN realms aren't going anywhere, but now there's the entire CN WoW population looking for new realms to join
    You mean we might actually see bot nuke tuesday come to WoW?

Quote Originally Posted by panda040 View Post
    SO based on whatever everyone is saying, it sounds like bobby wanted more money that netease was unwilling or unable to pay and now they can't play wow anymore. sadge
    Pure speculation. It could just as easily be China making unreasonable demands through political stances.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    Pure speculation. It could just as easily be China making unreasonable demands through political stances.
    Given China's track record for this kind of shit, I'd be more surprised if it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Given China's track record for this kind of shit, I'd be more surprised if it wasn't.
    Both options are entirely possible, but my money is on China making some ridiculous unreasonable demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    Both options are entirely possible, but my money is on China making some ridiculous unreasonable demand.
    We're talking about a country that spray paints its fucking mountains green, to say I have zero confidence in their ability to negotiate fairly would be a gross understatement.

At first I was like, "Wow, Blizzard actually standing up for human rights. Good for them!"
    Megacorps do not give a flying fuck about human rights. It's ALWAYS about money. Any time they pretend to care about things like "rights" or "morals", it's because the marketing team calculated that making such a decision will save money. Money is the sole driver of corporate decisions.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a big deal. If that happens to them, it can happen in other countries. Game as a service truly means you don't own it. Best solution I suppose, is to extract all player data with addons such as allthethings, and maybe find an emulator that can allow to keep playing...alone and offline...which will probably be legal since the game shutdown.
    It would be moral for them to include an offline mode in wow, but probably not worth the money sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    It would be moral for them to include an offline mode in wow, but probably not worth the money sadly.
    Offline MMO, eh?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    This is a big deal. If that happens to them, it can happen in other countries.
    It has always been known that Blizzard owns our characters and digital items. I'm not sure why this is a shock or surprise to people. The only difference between "us" and "them" is that Blizzard owns and operates things themselves whereas in China they do not.

If Blizzard shuts down at most we will have a Sandbox of WoW. It will have items and stuff but nothing that is server side unless people replicate those things.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Vpns are legal in china even if far more controlled than in most western countries.

WoW wasn't banned in China, access to western wow servers with a vpn isn't illegal because it's not a banned service.

People are making weird assumptions.
    "In real life, unlike in Shakespeare, the sweetness of the rose depends upon the name it bears. Things are not only what they are. They are, in very important respects, what they seem to be"

End of quote. Repeat the line.