Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sys01 View Post
    I get the same results during those big boss fights during the elemental invasion thingy

Running WoW on 4K rez with maxed out Ray Tracing and graphics slider on 10

In The Barrens I'm going from 120+ fps to 20 fps in a blink of an eye when everybody pops everything when the boss spawns

This is with the PC in the signature
    Yeah, this should be expected, there are hundreds of people all throwing their spells.
    As soon as the boss dies I go back up in fps as well.

OP, Do you have render scale maxed out, if so why.

Do you have maxed out AA on, if so why

These 2 settings combined with view distance on max is wow biggest culprit for lowered FPS.

For Render scale, if you want to increase this, I would say no more then 25% combined with MSAA 2x will have a greatly sharpened screen with decent FPS.

Wow is not a single core game anymore, as much as people think it is.

This is really just user error in not knowing what the settings in game do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    that might be due to your CPU causing you a massive bottleneck for your GPU, also doesn't help that 4K with raytracing enabled is a killer for performance, and you should expect a 50-70% frame drop as a result of that alone.
    RT in WoW isn't an issue since its used for shadows and there is next to no reflects in game, due to the game texture pack being no where near 4K, running at 4K is actually not an issue for most modern GPUs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Yeah, this should be expected, there are hundreds of people all throwing their spells.
    Yep, I'm not stressing like the OP does. WoW's been like this since the dawn of time - got used to it
    | i9 10850K | RTX 3080 Ti Aorus | Z490 Aorus Ultra G2 | Corsair 32GB DDR4 3600MHz | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Seagate BarraCuda 6TB | Corsair HX1000W Platinum | Cooler Master H500M

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    my computer handles big boss fights during elemental invasions like a champ.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    my computer handles big boss fights during elemental invasions like a champ.
    Yeah maybe in 1080p with everthing on low? Prove me wrong please, screenshots.
    Thanos should have won..

#NotMyEnding
    #ThanosWasRight

Quote Originally Posted by Xofa View Post
    Hi all,

Im running 12700k, 3080 suprim x and 32GB 15cl rams.

Running wow in ultrawide, 3400p with everything on max, except raytrace. Yet I get low fps when lots of things going on on screen

https://i.imgur.com/1W8ZKMi.png

Is wow engine to blame here? I wanna utilize my cpu/gpu fully to get more fps; if thats possible ?
    I have almost the exact same setup.
    What always messed with my fps? Raytracing. I always disable it completely. There is one other setting, can't remember, that also drains it a lot.
    There's a proper raid guide for settings that you should use but cant for my life remember who made that guide. Maybe echo, elvui or smt.

I had the same issue like you also with a high setup:

Find the game in the nvidia driver (application settings) or add it there. Then set the power management mode to max performance for the game.

Without that setting my GPU thought I am running a browser game or something and went idle. You can also set the CPU priority of WoW to high or higher to make sure it gets the priority from the CPU you want it to have.

Don't expect too much FPS though. 3400p is not nothing on high settings and the game itself barely uses more than 1 core, at least for most of the load. You will probably also gain more FPS if you disable the E-cores, especially if still playing on Win 10. Some reported here from 20% FPS boost when they disabled the E-cores for older games.
    Last edited by Hugo Wurstel; 2022-11-19 at 04:19 PM.

Just did the fire boss with ultrawide and did see some drops, but mins hovered at 90ish fps the whole event. Then again did it with most on high and not max settings.

Update: went to un'goro and killed the storm boss with everything on ultra and my fps pretty much was at my fps cap that is 100. Few dips that I saw but they were to 97ish. Big difference was though that un'goro had a lot less people.
    Last edited by mrgreenthump; 2022-11-19 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Just did the fire boss with ultrawide and did see some drops, but mins hovered at 90ish fps the whole event. Then again did it with most on high and not max settings.

Update: went to un'goro and killed the storm boss with everything on ultra and my fps pretty much was at my fps cap that is 100. Few dips that I saw but they were to 97ish. Big difference was though that un'goro had a lot less people.
    Care to upload screenshot of that? and your settings, what are you running there? Resolution?
    Thanos should have won..

#NotMyEnding
    #ThanosWasRight

https://i.imgur.com/gEv1XcF.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Normally running high but when "lots of things going on" they are low.
    https://i.imgur.com/gEv1XcF.jpg

As you can see in the screenshots, my cpu & gpu are barely using any horsepower? :/

CPU usage: 21%
    GPU Usage: 30%

FPS: 55

Like wtf???
    I've a comparable system and run into the same issue. It's just sort of how MMOs are. If you don't have weird frame drops in other games or situations then there's nothing you can do. You didn't build your PC poorly or anything, just the reality of playing an MMO.

55 fps is totally fine as you wouldn’t notice a difference between 30 and anything higher anyways - in a blind test.

What monitor you’re using to run it at 3400p?

Quote Originally Posted by Hamburger View Post
    If memory served WoW is capped at roughly 55-60 fps due to limitations.
    You're completely clueless, why post when you know nothing of the subject matter.

Yeah maybe in 1080p with everthing on low? Prove me wrong please, screenshots.
    Screenshots of what are you asking, specifically? Are you even aware that screenshot is a static image that cannot tell anything about fps?

I have an old system based on gen5 i5 CPU and 1080 card. It runs perfectly at 1080p with all settings maxed out. Wow is not resource-intensive and never boast.

So what is that “3400p” mode anyways, does it even exist? Because 2160 lines vertical would be 4k; next standard is 4320 lines vertical and that is 16k; anything in between, including 8k is just marketing glibberish and not related to actual hardware capacities.

Care to upload screenshot of that? and your settings, what are you running there? Resolution?
    Won't be home again till Tuesday, but was running everything at max and no RT. 3440x1440 was my resolution. But think the takeaway is that your GPU isn't capped in anyway, rather CPU is when player density increases. Am sure if I would've gone warmode off, I would've lagged out massively. If you wanna test it yourself go to Oribos and run around, you'll see that when there are more people next to you, your frames will drop considerably.

What do you have render scale and AA settings on?

those 2 are your main culprits, you have yet to acknowledge this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoriangun View Post
    What do you have render scale and AA settings on?

those 2 are your main culprits, you have yet to acknowledge this.
    Render scale: 100%
    AA? Doesn't matter which setting I pick, fps doesn't change. I have it on none.
    Thanos should have won..

#NotMyEnding
    #ThanosWasRight

7+ Year Old Account
    those outdoor sharded zones massbattles are usualy fairly lagy blame blizz for bad optimization

Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    Try putting Compute Effects down to "Good" and type /console GxAllowCachelessShaderMode 0
    then restart the game. If this doesn't make it better, I have no other suggestions, this is what worked for me personally.
    They patched this.

Well, its been quite a while since we had to have a remedial "why WoW doesn't perform like other games" class.

S, i guess, here we go... again again again.

WoW is still an incredibly CPU bound game. As a secure client-server game, especially one with strict positional requirements, it is also hugely single-thread bound. The main rendering thread MUST wait on updates from the server. Period. Full stop. There is no way to change this.

Other similar games (just about any MMO and high cap shooters like Battle Royale's) have similar issues. Ever watch your framerate drop into the gutter at the start of a BR match when all 100 people are in one place? Yep, that's why. The only way to "fix" this is to un-secure the client/server connection (which a lot of more casual shooters do) and allow your computer to "Estimate" where enemies are going and only force parity/update every 2-3 seconds instead of literally constantly; this is unsecure as hell though and leads to shitloads of cheating, and a game like WoW will never do that simply because a lot of the encounters require precise positioning and they cant have it where everyone's individual PC shows them slightly off-place every 2 or 3 seconds.

The more stuff you add that has to have draw calls calculated by the CPU, the "slower" things will get.

WoW is not GPU bound beyond the basics, and hasn't been for 10+ years. Anything past a midrange GPU can hande WoW on all but the very highest settings.

WoW has recently gotten BETTER at multi-core awareness, but only mildly so. That's why you're seeing "28%" CPU usage - the game is only using a few cores. Remember that that is total CPU usage, not per-core; if you had only one core going 100%, it would show you even less CPU usage. That 12700K is a 12 core, 20 thread part IIRC (8P/4E). If you looked at individual core usage (you can set that in the OSD), youd see one or two cores totally pinned and maybe 2-3 more running 20-30% (handling background stuff like the audio, etc).

What they did to make the game a little more multi-core optimized was divorce particle draw calls and similar things from the main draw - I.E. the main rendering thread no longer has to individually issue a draw call for every particle - like every ice shard in an Ice Storm - and those can be spun off to other threads; the main thread only has to issue the draw call for the main/center particle and then the additional particle are just caculated around it.

This doesn't allieviate everything, though. The more people, mobs, light sources, etc, around you, the more draw calls the CPU has to issue, and the lower your framerate will be. That simple. There's only so much you can do to mitigate it.

Somehwat ironically, despite their being less total pixels to push, any Ultrawide resolution is actually MORE punishing on framerate than 4k - because it actually has to draw MORE stuff that would not normally be drawn on a 16:9 display.

There are a number of settings that can help allieviate things:

Turn off anything remotely resembling Vsync

Turn the environmental sliders down to 7. Settings above this do basically nothing for visual fidelity. The big one here is Draw Distance; even if you turn it up past 8, you cant actually see that far in-game anyway. You used to be able to if you manually set the camera distance to further away, but they removed that option a long time ago. Some time ago (during Beta for Azeroth) i did some screenshot comparisons from the top of the Horde City looking into the distance at the mountains. Going from 7 to 8 or higher ... didn't increase anything at all. You couldnt actually see more. But it is still issuing draw calls for all that shit you cant see.

Shadows - the top two settings GEOMETRICALLY raise draw calls and will cripple performance. This is, for example, why your framerate would crater as you flew of Suaramar - there were SHITLOADS of light sources and if you turned the shadows up to where it was casting multiple shadows for each light source it would just turn into a stuttery mess as you flew over (because it had to load them all in on the fly; was less pronounced when you were just running around down there).

Lighting Quality can affect this as well because the top setting creates tons more shadows (because it calculates shadows caused by multiple light sources hitting the same object at the same time). This is even MORE draw calls that the CPU has to handle.

IF you didnt have more GPU power than needed, then i'd say turn off any Anti-Aliasing, but as you can see, your GPU is sitting idle most of thre time, so you can feel free to jack up AA, AF, and any other purely GPU settings as far as you'd like. The 3080 will eat them all for lunch. You could even stack DSR on top and likely not see a hit to your framerate. At least at regular QHD (2560x1440) i could enable 200% Render Scale/DSR even on my old 1080Ti and see no performance hit at all. I cant imagine a 3080 wouldn't eat it for breakfast.

Also, you could probably turn on RT without much of a hit either, with that much GPU headroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Agall View Post
    1440p UW isn't more demanding than 4K... The 1.6x more pixels per frame are far more taxing than ultrawide. 4K even runs into weird nuances with certain games when it comes to VRAM usage and specific settings versus 1440p UW which is far far closer to 1440p 16:9 than 4K in performance requirements.
    Incorrect. You are making the assumption that this has ANYTHING to do with the number of pixels being pushed. It does not.

It has SOLELY to do with the number of visible objects in the frame, and therefore, the number of draw calls that the CPU must issue.

Id like to use diagrams to illustrate what im talking about but im awful at art.

But, basically, when you go to UW from a traditional widescreen, you are adding more draw calls, because there is additional material on the outside edges. Material that has to have draw calls issued by the CPU from the main rendering thread (cant be spun off). It doesn't even matter how simple or complex those models are (thats on the GPU), just the mere fact that they are present and have to be rendered/a draw call issued.

The reason this doesn't apply to non-MMO/non secure-client/server games is because your machine isn't waiting on info from a server to start issuing draw calls (which then have to be issued immediately), because your own machine is deciding what goes where, allowing the rendering threads to be split up more easily.

So, for a game like WoW or other MMOs and secure client/server games, going to UW adds CPU overhead. It isn't harder on the GPU than 4K. But it is harder on the CPU. And in a game where only a main rendering thread can issue calls for the stuff on screen, especially when that thread has to wait on info from a server before it can start, and then has to race through them...

21:9 is more taxing on framerate than 16:9 (because its not about GPU power at all).

That simple. Thats why his GPU is sitting idle 60% of the time.