Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Tablet or laptop for second monitor? Got some questions

I will buy the cheapest laptop or tablet in order to use them as second monitor, I want to set them into a different room and connect them to my pc through a large usb cable in order to establish a solid connection, I want to work on the same pc from two different rooms. (bedroom and living room)

My questions are:

1. If a laptop is turned into a second monitor will its keyboard still be functional? so will I be able to use laptop's keyboard to do work on my pc or do I need a separate keyboard that will be connected to the main pc? In other words, will laptop's keyboard be wasted?

2. Overall, which one is better as second monitor? I saw that tablets can connect with usb while laptops can't, is that true? this would make laptop much less efficient.

3. What tablet brand is best for this job?

There is of course the obvious drawback of laptops that they are less portable than tablets. although I don't plan to go outside with it often.

If I buy a tablet I will also buy a bluetooth keyboard case so it will be like a minilaptop, at this point I can't see any difference between them, it will act as second screen 24/7 so its specs mean nothing. Don't ask why I don't buy a second monitor and keyboard, I just prefer a portable machine like one of these two because sometimes I will work from my bed with them or before I sleep.
    Last edited by Vampiregenesis; 2022-11-20 at 11:52 AM.

Neither.

What you want to do can MUCH more easily be accomplished by a GoogleTV (or a FireTV, or an AppleTV) a spare monitor (pick a used one up on Facebook Market for cheap. Can usually find a decent 1080p monitor for like 40$), and the Steamlink app for said streaming box.

You just fire up the Steamlink app, get it set up the first time.. and then exit Big Picture Mode. Poof, youre at your desktop. Sound and everything.

Setting up either a cheap laptop or a tablet to do this is going to be a pointless pain in the ass when a 30$ streaming dongle and a 40$ used monitor can do it effortlessly without kludgy workarounds. You just connect a bluetooth leyboard and mouse to your streaming box and away you go.

Doing this with a tablet or laptop is going to require some kind of remote desktop software, which often dont get you sound and wont Play protected content.

Edit - you may be able to use Steam In-Home Streaming with a laptop in a similar fashion as Steamlink, im not sure. That would get you the portability you seem to want. But the laptop will have to be capable of running Steam.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2022-11-20 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Neither.

What you want to do can MUCH more easily be accomplished by a GoogleTV (or a FireTV, or an AppleTV) a spare monitor (pick a used one up on Facebook Market for cheap. Can usually find a decent 1080p monitor for like 40$), and the Steamlink app for said streaming box.

You just fire up the Steamlink app, get it set up the first time.. and then exit Big Picture Mode. Poof, youre at your desktop. Sound and everything.

Setting up either a cheap laptop or a tablet to do this is going to be a pointless pain in the ass when a 30$ streaming dongle and a 40$ used monitor can do it effortlessly without kludgy workarounds. You just connect a bluetooth leyboard and mouse to your streaming box and away you go.

Doing this with a tablet or laptop is going to require some kind of remote desktop software, which often dont get you sound and wont Play protected content.

Edit - you may be able to use Steam In-Home Streaming with a laptop in a similar fashion as Steamlink, im not sure. That would get you the portability you seem to want. But the laptop will have to be capable of running Steam.
    yeah I want a laptop or tablet in order to use them while I'm at my bed, tv doesn't help with that, I already have tv that I use sometimes with steamlink, it works for gaming sessions but it's not good for other stuff, I have to look too far away, I also prefer to watch streams or matches on my tv.

As for steam link I was thinking to buy a large ethernet cable

Quote Originally Posted by Vampiregenesis View Post
    yeah I want a laptop or tablet in order to use them while I'm at my bed, tv doesn't help with that, I already have tv that I use sometimes with steamlink, it works for gaming sessions but it's not good for other stuff, I have to look too far away, I also prefer to watch streams or matches on my tv.

As for steam link I was thinking to buy a large ethernet cable
    What? Do you even know what you want? Because you sound exactly like 99% of my customers who have no idea...
    Connect... The... TV... To...your...computer??? Thats what you wanted? Add a bluetooth keyboard and you're done?

What exactly are you trying to do here?

Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    What? Do you even know what you want? Because you sound exactly like 99% of my customers who have no idea...
    Connect... The... TV... To...your...computer??? Thats what you wanted? Add a bluetooth keyboard and you're done?

What exactly are you trying to do here?
    I want to have a pc for my bedroom that I can carry to my bed when I lie down so it has to be something small and portable with a small ergonomic keyboard like the one laptops or keyboard tablet cases have, I can't do that with a tv, however because I don't want to spend lots of money to buy a strong machine, it has to be used as a second display for my main pc who already has strong specs.
    Last edited by Vampiregenesis; 2022-11-20 at 01:45 PM.

I want to have a pc for my bedroom that I can carry to my bed when I lie down so it has to be something small and portable, I can't do that with a tv, however because I don't want to spend lots of money to buy a strong machine, it has to be used as a second display for my main pc who already has strong specs.
    This is confusing... Are you talking about what you want or what you can do?
    Because if all you want is a 2nd monitor connected to your "main pc", a TV will be perfect for that or any monitor you can buy. You don't need a laptop, tablet or even a 2nd PC for this...
    You want to lay down in bed, be able to watch some movies, browse some games, use a keyboard etc?

You need a 2nd monitor, a 2nd keyboard that is wireless and 2nd mouse that is also wireless. Or bluetooth, depending on distance.
    Connect them and do whatever it is you want to do in that room?

This is confusing... Are you talking about what you want or what you can do?
    Because if all you want is a 2nd monitor connected to your "main pc", a TV will be perfect for that or any monitor you can buy. You don't need a laptop, tablet or even a 2nd PC for this...
    You want to lay down in bed, be able to watch some movies, browse some games, use a keyboard etc?

You need a 2nd monitor, a 2nd keyboard that is wireless and 2nd mouse that is also wireless. Or bluetooth, depending on distance.
    Connect them and do whatever it is you want to do in that room?
    I talk about what I want

I don't want a tv when I lie down to bed, it's very far away and it's not very ergonomic because I have to stand in a specific stance with my head up, I have tried to use my tv for this purpose and it's very uncomfortable, tv is only good for watching shows mostly. What I want is a tablet or a laptop 100% I just don't know which one is better and I don't know if the laptop's keyboard will be functional if used in this manner because I don't intend to buy a separate bluetooth one, I will only do this for the tablet.

I talk about what I want

I don't want a tv when I lie down to bed, it's very far away and it's not very ergonomic because I have to stand in a specific stance with my head up, I have tried to use my tv for this purpose and it's very uncomfortable, tv is only good for watching shows mostly. What I want is a tablet or a laptop 100% I just don't know which one is better and I don't know if the laptop's keyboard will be functional if used in this manner because I don't intend to buy a separate bluetooth one, I will only do this for the tablet.
    Are you using the new computer for gaming? Such as World of Warcraft?
    "You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"

Quote Originally Posted by OwenBurton View Post
    Are you using the new computer for gaming? Such as World of Warcraft?
    Sure why not? It will be connected with my main PC so it will be able to run anything

Sure why not? It will be connected with my main PC so it will be able to run anything
    The computer I was using for Warcraft had some monitor issues...I think it can be fixed, but not easily or quickly enough for the Welcome Back weekend. I wish I could help you with your problems, but I'm not the best expert in that regard.

If you're a tech expert, what is the cheapest laptop / desktop you can buy that has enough storage for World of Warcraft? And can you play the game, like, from a USB drive or something, attached to a laptop, if you're able to get all the game files there?
    "You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"

I think what the OP wants is actually known as Remote Access. There is a software named Awesun for PC remote access. Works on Android and iOS. I have never tried this, though.

Here is the link to the Awesun software.
    https://sun.aweray.com/en/

A youtuber talks about that software:
    https://youtu.be/9-_i9nD9Z3Y
    Last edited by Medievaldragon; 2022-11-20 at 04:29 PM.

I talk about what I want

What?
    What do you mean by "far away"? You put your TV wherever you want it? What? Same you would do any monitor?

Yes, we are superclear on the fact you have no idea what you want or how it works.
    What you want is a 2nd monitor for your PC. That can be a TV, plasma, lcd, whatever that has a hdmi/displayport/vga output...
    And for that, you need what I wrote. If you want to use that? you need a 2nd keyboard, just like the laptop would have but it would be stupid, more expensive and not what you want.

10+ Year Old Account
    So from what I can gather, you want a secondary monitor, and a wireless keyboard..
    So buy that.

You're trying to make this way more complicated than it has to be.
    What you do is you buy a TV or monitor or whatever, and then a wireless keyboard/mouse combo, plug the dongle into the tv/monitor, drag a HDMI cable to your computer, and set it to mirror display 1 onto display 2.
    That's all you have to do.

What?
    What do you mean by "far away"? You put your TV wherever you want it? What? Same you would do any monitor?

Yes, we are superclear on the fact you have no idea what you want or how it works.
    What you want is a 2nd monitor for your PC. That can be a TV, plasma, lcd, whatever that has a hdmi/displayport/vga output...
    And for that, you need what I wrote. If you want to use that? you need a 2nd keyboard, just like the laptop would have but it would be stupid, more expensive and not what you want.
    Is there a monitor that can be placed on a bed and being comfortable to move around? they are usually big and lack balance, they lack portability unless there is case that can connect it with the keyboard and make it easier to move and more balanced.

I can't find a case that can turn a monitor and a keyboard into a "laptop". Tablets have such cases, pure monitors don't.

Actually is there a pure monitor at the size of a tablet? maybe something like this can work.

The problem here is purely ergonomic, nothing else, I have no problem with second pure monitor if it can solve that part.
    Last edited by Vampiregenesis; 2022-11-20 at 10:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does this thing need to be like, in your lap or could it be attached to a monitor arm on a table near/at your bed?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I think there may be an ESL problem here or just bad explanations.

I think we're at:

The OP wants to be able to use his main rig, but to do so in bed, on the couch, whatever. He doesnt want to simply stream to his TVs because thats often unproductive in the extreme for non-gaming tasks. I have to adjust websites constantly when im browsing on my HTPC and its annoying AF. Text can be super hard to read well, as well, unless you blow it up so big you cant have much of it on the screen.

Running HDMI cables all over the place to keep a standalone monitor connected to this main rig is... not an optimal solution. And wireless keyboard/mouse range might be a serious issue.

That leaves a few different ways to do this, IMO, that will actually work the way the OP wants:

Method 1
    Get a small portable standalone monitor (preferably with speakers). Plug a Steamlink-capable device into said monitor (Google TV dongle (Walmart makes one under its ONN Brand that is the same hardware as the actual Google device and is half as much); FireTV, or AppleTV are the easiest). You can connect your keyboard/mouse to this dongle (usualy Bluetooth unless you want to deal with a USB hub). Youll need some kind of lap board for using it in bed, but i think this will be an issue with whatever solution you go with (you need something to set the keyboard and mouse on at the very least).

For "small standalone monitor" i mean something like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/UsedAZMKO...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Not saying that one in particular, but there are many similar devices out there. Make sure you get one with the features you want.

You will, of course, have at least a powre cable running to the monitor, but i think this is going to be a requirement no matter what - any laptop or tablet you try to use is going to have to be powered anyway unless you want the battery to implode in 60 minutes anyway.

This will get you the most "computer like" experience. You can just exit Big Picture Mode and be using the host computer as if you were sitting at it, and itll be big enough to read easily without having to jack up the text size or anything.

This method's requirements will be: Monitor, Streaming Dongle, Compatible Mouse/Keyboard (or controller), and a lapboard of some kind to use it in bed.

Method 2
    Low to midrange Laptop + Steam In Home Streaming

As far as my research today has showed me, Steam In-Home Streaming works exactly like Steamink does, but it is from compter-to-computer that are both running Steam. It even uses the same interface, so, again, once you start Streaming, you simply exit Big Picture Mode and then youll be using your main rig at the desktop.

This would be very "computer like" as well, and has the benefit of having a keyboard built into it. Probably stilll need a lapboard of some kind though if you want to use a mouse instead of the trackpad.

You could also do this with a decent tablet. (Any tablet that can run the Steamlink app). Just.. use Steamlink, exit big picture, etc. Then you could get a keyboard case or whatever, but youll still need a lap board for a mouse.

Method 2B
    Laptop or Tablet and some kind of Remote Desktop software.

Problem with this is that a lot of RDP clients dont do more than 30fps, wont handle DHCP content, etc. The ones that have more fidelity and capabilities cost a lot and often require a subscription.

This would be sub-optimal, IMO.

Similarly, the software that lets you just use a tablet as a second display doesnt support high framerates or a lot of content. Even Apple's Sidecar is limited in this way.

Method 3
    Run cables everywhere. Get a long HDMI cable, USB cables, etc. Use a standalone monitor (like the small ones i mentioned above).

Pros are it will be a hardwire connection and not running through any remote anything.
    Cons are cables everywhere.

TLDR
    For the easiest solution, i'd say a low-midrange laptop and In Home Streaming is the easiest one-stop shop. You might get stuck with a crappy screen if you go too cheap, but it is what it is.

I suppose you could get a decent Chromebook for this purpose (itll run the Android Steamlink app), and if you really want the tablet experience you can get a convertible or detachable. Ive used Steamlink through my HP Chromebook X2 11 and it works just fine.

FWIW, i wouldn't recommend that device (HP Charges too damn much for it - almost twice as much as the IDENTICALY spec'ed Lenovo Duet 5 - and the Duet 5 is actually slightly larger and has a better screen) - i only use it because i wanted something smaller than the Duet 5 and Lenovo hadn't released the newer Duet 3 yet. (The new Duet 3 is also a great choice as it is almost identically spec'ed and only ~320$ and is the smaller 11" size). If Best Buy hadn't put them on steep sale (got it for less than 300) i'd have waited for the Duet 3.

But really, any decent Chromebook would work fine (and there will be a native Steam app for Chromebooks soon, i think you can use the beta right now if you sign up). Similarly, any not-shit Windows laptop should be fine (stay away from dual-cores, low RAM, etc) but anything with 8GB of RAM and a decent quad core CPU should be more than enough.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2022-11-21 at 04:42 AM.

I think there may be an ESL problem here or just bad explanations.

I think we're at:

The OP wants to be able to use his main rig, but to do so in bed, on the couch, whatever. He doesnt want to simply stream to his TVs because thats often unproductive in the extreme for non-gaming tasks. I have to adjust websites constantly when im browsing on my HTPC and its annoying AF. Text can be super hard to read well, as well, unless you blow it up so big you cant have much of it on the screen.

Running HDMI cables all over the place to keep a standalone monitor connected to this main rig is... not an optimal solution. And wireless keyboard/mouse range might be a serious issue.

That leaves a few different ways to do this, IMO, that will actually work the way the OP wants:

Method 1
    Get a small portable standalone monitor (preferably with speakers). Plug a Steamlink-capable device into said monitor (Google TV dongle (Walmart makes one under its ONN Brand that is the same hardware as the actual Google device and is half as much); FireTV, or AppleTV are the easiest). You can connect your keyboard/mouse to this dongle (usualy Bluetooth unless you want to deal with a USB hub). Youll need some kind of lap board for using it in bed, but i think this will be an issue with whatever solution you go with (you need something to set the keyboard and mouse on at the very least).

For "small standalone monitor" i mean something like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/UsedAZMKO...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Not saying that one in particular, but there are many similar devices out there. Make sure you get one with the features you want.

You will, of course, have at least a powre cable running to the monitor, but i think this is going to be a requirement no matter what - any laptop or tablet you try to use is going to have to be powered anyway unless you want the battery to implode in 60 minutes anyway.

This will get you the most "computer like" experience. You can just exit Big Picture Mode and be using the host computer as if you were sitting at it, and itll be big enough to read easily without having to jack up the text size or anything.

This method's requirements will be: Monitor, Streaming Dongle, Compatible Mouse/Keyboard (or controller), and a lapboard of some kind to use it in bed.

Method 2
    Low to midrange Laptop + Steam In Home Streaming

As far as my research today has showed me, Steam In-Home Streaming works exactly like Steamink does, but it is from compter-to-computer that are both running Steam. It even uses the same interface, so, again, once you start Streaming, you simply exit Big Picture Mode and then youll be using your main rig at the desktop.

This would be very "computer like" as well, and has the benefit of having a keyboard built into it. Probably stilll need a lapboard of some kind though if you want to use a mouse instead of the trackpad.

You could also do this with a decent tablet. (Any tablet that can run the Steamlink app). Just.. use Steamlink, exit big picture, etc. Then you could get a keyboard case or whatever, but youll still need a lap board for a mouse.

Method 2B
    Laptop or Tablet and some kind of Remote Desktop software.

Problem with this is that a lot of RDP clients dont do more than 30fps, wont handle DHCP content, etc. The ones that have more fidelity and capabilities cost a lot and often require a subscription.

This would be sub-optimal, IMO.

Similarly, the software that lets you just use a tablet as a second display doesnt support high framerates or a lot of content. Even Apple's Sidecar is limited in this way.

Method 3
    Run cables everywhere. Get a long HDMI cable, USB cables, etc. Use a standalone monitor (like the small ones i mentioned above).

Pros are it will be a hardwire connection and not running through any remote anything.
    Cons are cables everywhere.

TLDR
    For the easiest solution, i'd say a low-midrange laptop and In Home Streaming is the easiest one-stop shop. You might get stuck with a crappy screen if you go too cheap, but it is what it is.

I suppose you could get a decent Chromebook for this purpose (itll run the Android Steamlink app), and if you really want the tablet experience you can get a convertible or detachable. Ive used Steamlink through my HP Chromebook X2 11 and it works just fine.

FWIW, i wouldn't recommend that device (HP Charges too damn much for it - almost twice as much as the IDENTICALY spec'ed Lenovo Duet 5 - and the Duet 5 is actually slightly larger and has a better screen) - i only use it because i wanted something smaller than the Duet 5 and Lenovo hadn't released the newer Duet 3 yet. (The new Duet 3 is also a great choice as it is almost identically spec'ed and only ~320$ and is the smaller 11" size). If Best Buy hadn't put them on steep sale (got it for less than 300) i'd have waited for the Duet 3.

But really, any decent Chromebook would work fine (and there will be a native Steam app for Chromebooks soon, i think you can use the beta right now if you sign up). Similarly, any not-shit Windows laptop should be fine (stay away from dual-cores, low RAM, etc) but anything with 8GB of RAM and a decent quad core CPU should be more than enough.
    Nice thanks for your detailed answer

So, the laptop's keyboard and trackpad work while connected with steamlink to my main pc? because if they don't and I need separate bluetooth ones then it wouldn't worth it. I was thinking that they might not work.

Also, why does the laptop need to have proper specs? I use steamlink with my android tv which I believe is worse than a laptop and it works flawlessly, why do specs even matter? It even works with my smartphone which is really bad but the connection is weak so I dc.

I mostly think about method 2 and 2B, I believe I will go for a laptop because they have ethernet ports so it will be more solid with steam link, tablets only have usb so if I have to use steam link it will be with wifi which is weak. If I buy a tablet I have to use a remote software that works with USB.

I will check the portable monitors you mention, in my country the monitors are more expensive than the laptop or tablet and a laptop can be bought as refurbished which is even cheaper.
    Last edited by Vampiregenesis; 2022-11-21 at 08:03 AM.

Nice thanks for your detailed answer

So, the laptop's keyboard and trackpad work while connected with steamlink to my main pc? because if they don't and I need separate bluetooth ones then it wouldn't worth it. I was thinking that they might not work.
    Yes, the peripherals on the host machine will work. It isn't Steamlink, though. Its not a separate app, you have to use the full version of Steam on both machines.

Also, why does the laptop need to have proper specs? I use steamlink with my android tv which I believe is worse than a laptop and it works flawlessly, why do specs even matter? It even works with my smartphone which is really bad but the connection is weak so I dc.
    Because when you're using a Steamlink app on Android or whatever, it is NOT the same as In-Home Streaming from one PC to another. The PC you want to stream to (the laptop, in this case) has to have the specs to handle Steam well and needs certain specs (i think it requires a hardware decode capable GPU or iGPU, youll have to look into that). While they function the same (and look the same in operation) they aren't exactly the same thing. In-Home-Streaming came first by a few years, actually. That said, you dont need it to be a powerhouse laptop, but you REALLY dont want to be using a Windows laptop with 4GB of RAM and a dual core CPU in 2022. Even for just the time you have to wait loading up Steam, itll suck rocks through a straw.

I mostly think about method 2 and 2B, I believe I will go for a laptop because they have ethernet ports so it will be more solid with steam link, tablets only have usb so if I have to use steam link it will be with wifi which is weak. If I buy a tablet I have to use a remote software that works with USB.
    Non-iOS tablets can use ethernet just fine with an adapter. (you can get a USB-C hub that has ethernet, HDMI out, and more USB ports with power pass through for ~30$ or so; and i only say "non-iOS" because im just not sure if iOS supports ethernet dongles) However, if you want the tablet form factor, i'd go with a Chromebook detachable. My HP X2 is a fully functional tablet (and way better than any Android tablet, since it can run Android apps, and Linux apps). Laptop when you want it to be, fully functional tablet when you dont.

Though like i said i wouldnt buy the HP X2; its a great machine but easily 300$ more than it should be. The Lenovo Chromebook Duet 5 (12.8") has identical specs (same CPU, RAM, etc) and is more like 359$ and that includes the keyboard and kickstand. The smaller (11") Duet 3 has the same CPU but less RAM, but given that its a Chromebook, thats less of an issue, and its 319$ (again, including keyboard and kickstand cover).

Id also say a Surface would be a great choice if you want to stick to Windows ... but they arent nearly as cheap. Even the Surface Go (which would be fine for this) is 500$+ and im not sure that that includes the keyboard cover.

Yes, the peripherals on the host machine will work. It isn't Steamlink, though. Its not a separate app, you have to use the full version of Steam on both machines.

Because when you're using a Steamlink app on Android or whatever, it is NOT the same as In-Home Streaming from one PC to another. The PC you want to stream to (the laptop, in this case) has to have the specs to handle Steam well and needs certain specs (i think it requires a hardware decode capable GPU or iGPU, youll have to look into that). While they function the same (and look the same in operation) they aren't exactly the same thing. In-Home-Streaming came first by a few years, actually. That said, you dont need it to be a powerhouse laptop, but you REALLY dont want to be using a Windows laptop with 4GB of RAM and a dual core CPU in 2022. Even for just the time you have to wait loading up Steam, itll suck rocks through a straw.

Non-iOS tablets can use ethernet just fine with an adapter. (you can get a USB-C hub that has ethernet, HDMI out, and more USB ports with power pass through for ~30$ or so; and i only say "non-iOS" because im just not sure if iOS supports ethernet dongles) However, if you want the tablet form factor, i'd go with a Chromebook detachable. My HP X2 is a fully functional tablet (and way better than any Android tablet, since it can run Android apps, and Linux apps). Laptop when you want it to be, fully functional tablet when you dont.

Though like i said i wouldnt buy the HP X2; its a great machine but easily 300$ more than it should be. The Lenovo Chromebook Duet 5 (12.8") has identical specs (same CPU, RAM, etc) and is more like 359$ and that includes the keyboard and kickstand. The smaller (11") Duet 3 has the same CPU but less RAM, but given that its a Chromebook, thats less of an issue, and its 319$ (again, including keyboard and kickstand cover).

Id also say a Surface would be a great choice if you want to stick to Windows ... but they arent nearly as cheap. Even the Surface Go (which would be fine for this) is 500$+ and im not sure that that includes the keyboard cover.
    Is there a reason to use that in-home streaming over steam link? from what I have seen steam link runs everywhere, am I wrong?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/353380/Steam_Link/ - it says it's available everywhere

I will check for that ethernet adapter

The last thing that I was thinking, are there monitors at the size of a tablet that can fit with this?

https://gyazo.com/46957725b1a168fb5f12302a417c3acd

I found this https://gyazo.com/37d77a4ad487f49ee191687160a82bd1

It is actually cheaper than a tablet but I don't think it can be connected with a pc or run any app

Anyway since an ethernet adapter exists then I may buy a tablet instead.

I was really worried that host machine peripherals might not work with steam link.
    Last edited by Vampiregenesis; 2022-11-21 at 09:03 AM.

Is there a reason to use that in-home streaming over steam link? from what I have seen steam link runs everywhere, am I wrong?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/353380/Steam_Link/ - it says it's available everywhere
    Nope, there is no "Steam Link" app for Windows, Mac, or Linux. What it means is that you can install Steam Link on any non-computer device (FireStick, Google TV, Apple TV, some smart TVs) and then stream from a computer with Steam on it.

If you want to use another computer as the streaming device, you have to use In-Home Streaming, with both machines running full-up Steam.

As i said, it looks almost exactly the same (uses the same interface) but it uses slightly different and more robust streaming solutions.

I will check for that ethernet adapter
    Look for something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/UtechSmart-Et...566735564&th=1

Doesn't have to be that exact one. Just one with an ethernet port and power delivery/passthrough so it can charge the device while also being a hub (as most tablets only have one port).

The last thing that I was thinking, are there monitors at the size of a tablet that can fit with this?

https://gyazo.com/46957725b1a168fb5f12302a417c3acd

I found this https://gyazo.com/37d77a4ad487f49ee191687160a82bd1

It is actually cheaper than a tablet but I don't think it can be connected with a pc or run any app

Anyway since an ethernet adapter exists then I may buy a tablet instead.

I was really worried that host machine peripherals might not work with steam link.
    If you are using a laptop, the In-Home Streaming solution will use the keyboard and trackpad just fine.

If you use a tablet, youll have to add your own peripherals (keyboard case or whatever).

And yeah, for those tiny monitors.. quality usually sucks if they arent expensive. A tablet running Steamlink or a laptop (Windows or Chromebook, would waste cash on a Mac) using In-Home Streaming would be a much better bet.

Oh, also, i sorta forgot a more expensive, but very comprehensie solution:

Method 4
    Buy a Steam Deck.

Its small, portable, all-in-one solution. You'd use In-Home Streaming (since it is running Steam). It can also play a lot of games natively at low/med settings.

You can attach a keyboard/mouse to it if you want (bluetooth or USB).

For price, though, i'd go with "get a 250-350$ laptop" and use In-Home Streaming. If you're going to go with a laptopi, id seriously consider going with a Chromebook Deatchable, since they are cheaper than an iPad (though even the base model iPad is a great tablet if you want to go that way) and will crush the shit out of all but the very most expensive Android tablets. And cheap Android tablets.... they SUCK. Dont waste your money.