Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    what we do is change and improve our environment instead of changing ourselves in order to fit into the natural environment.
    Yeah, I guess if you ignore all the displaced animals, gutted forests, and tainted water supplies, we do totally "improve" our environment. A more accurate statement would be that we make the environment more suited to our immediate comfort, which isn't always something that goes hand in hand with our long-term survival.

Right but as far as we know dinosaurs did not have a general intelligence which means they had no means of saving themselves. They had to evolve in order to survive in new environments. Where as for humans we don't really need to biologically evolve anymore because what we do is change and improve our environment instead of changing ourselves in order to fit into the natural environment.
    Are we "improving the environment" though?

“The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

I think that's kind of wrong though. As soon as an organism gains general intelligence then their mind could be uploaded to a universal computer which does not have the physical hardware that is needed for biological evolution.

The fuck?

Well this thread is suppose to be about the philosophy of civilization, people, economics, culture, etc... If you don't want to discuss anything then you don't have to enter this thread. *shrug*
    His contribution to this thread of you being a horrible person is more valuable than anything you bring.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    The fuck?
    OP thinks that Star Trek is a documentary that was sent back in time to give us a blueprint I think.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    OP thinks that Star Trek is a documentary that was sent back in time to give us a blueprint I think.
    Where's my fucking Replicator, God damn it!

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Where's my fucking Replicator, God damn it!
    Dammit Daedius! I'm a forum-poster...not a futurist!

Okay yeah I was making a rough analogy but technically I think a non-human organisms cannot "try" to solve problems because I think an organism needs to be conscious(like humans) before they can actually try to solve a problem.
    Please try to read up on subjects BEFORE posting about them; it'll make you come off as a lot less ignorant. Do you know how many species of birds and apes know how to use simple tools? And that's only covering those specific species.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay yeah I was making a rough analogy but technically I think a non-human organisms cannot "try" to solve problems because I think an organism needs to be conscious(like humans) before they can actually try to solve a problem.
    The definition you're using for "conscious" is meaningless pseudoscience. If an animal can sense its environment, it's "sentient". If it's not asleep, it is "conscious". Doesn't matter if we're talking about human beings or fruit flies.

Worse, it's just fucking silly because plenty of birds and mammals have clear problem-solving capabilities, including tool manufacture and use, and in some cases, comprehension of pretty complex subjects like displacement of water.

There might be some environments that don't allow physical objects to process information in the right way, which means life could not exist there. Like in the center of a star or in a black hole where scientists don't fully understand what's happening there. But for humans I think we should be optimistic that we'll be able to survive in increasingly hostile environments such as living in space, or underwater, or on the Moon.
    With technological support, sure. Not naturally by evolutionary processes. Which was what you claimed.

Somewhat but I don't think biological evolution in humans is that important anymore in regards to survival, but if you want to make the argument that it is still very important than I will hear your argument.
    It isn't about whether it's "important". It's a constant. Nothing about humanity's current state has changed evolutionary processes. You're back to straight-up denying basic science, again.

I think that's kind of wrong though. As soon as an organism gains general intelligence then their mind could be uploaded to a universal computer which does not have the physical hardware that is needed for biological evolution.
    If you're uploaded to hardware, you're no longer an "organism", by definition. Your insistence on misusing basic terminology doesn't help you come off as informed.

Life finds a way, that doesn't surprise me.
    Tell that to the mosasaurs and ankylosaurs and pteranodons.

The "way" life "finds" is often "extinction of your line and everything related to your line".

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345
    His contribution to this thread of you being a horrible person is more valuable than anything you bring.
    So give me your best argument on what makes a good/horrible person and then I will either say why you're right or I'll point out a flaw in your argument.

So give me your best argument on what makes a good/horrible person and then I will either say why you're right or I'll point out a flaw in your argument.
    "Libertarian" is an 11 letter word that means "horrible person"

Hmf...assuming the theory is correct (Toba), humans were once on the endangered species list.

What you think doesn't fucking matter. At all.

We exist in a world of data and fact. Not your bullshit unicorn and magic religious thinking.

That's why you are horrible: you push toxic positivity in hopes to hide the harm you cause and benefit from.

You couldn't be more awful. Go fuck yourself.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    We exist in a world of data and fact.
    The data and facts of the world indicate that the world is improving. Most people in the world don't know this because most people in the world don't know how to interpret the data and the facts properly.
    Not your bullshit unicorn and magic religious thinking.
    When I talk about progress(such as with population growth) I'm talking about an incremental process where everything must obey the laws of physics. I completely reject anything that is supernatural such as magic and I reject anything that is based on faith instead of reason.
    That's why you are horrible: you push toxic positivity in hopes to hide the harm you cause and benefit from.
    I'm just saying that humanity can solve its current problems without the need for any left/right wing authoritarianism. This is the truth and it does not represent "toxic positivity" in any way.
    Last edited by PC2; 2022-11-21 at 08:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The data and facts of the world indicate that the world is improving. Most people in the world don't know this because most people in the world don't know how to interpret the data and the facts properly.

But you do, right?

The data and facts of the world indicate that the world is improving. Most people in the world don't know this because most people in the world don't know how to interpret the data and the facts properly. When I talk about progress(such as with population growth) I'm talking about an incremental process where everything must obey the laws of physics. I completely reject anything that is supernatural such as magic and I reject anything that is based on faith instead of reason. Like I'm literally just saying that humanity can solve its current problems without the need for any left/right wing authoritarianism. This is just the truth and it does not represent "toxic positivity" in any way.
    Everything you've ever pushed relies on you separating facts and data from what supports your sad shitty pathetic beliefs, to facts and data that doesn't support your sad shitty pathetic beliefs. And whenever people ask for detailed answers you NEVER respond with such details whatsoever. But then like every libertarian, you never really rely on data and facts. Just your pseudo-"religious" crap that imagines in some flighty hellish fantasy that the wealthy knows better.

5+ Year Old Account
    Is Africa biggest population growth now?

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean like you when you interpret the data that shows the improvements are happening in spite of the sort of systems you advocate rather than because of them?

When I talk about progress(such as with population growth) I'm talking about an incremental process where everything must obey the laws of physics. I completely reject anything that is supernatural such as magic and I reject anything that is based on faith instead of reason.
    Unless said reasoning has to do with climate change in which case you'll gladly adopt magical thinking.

I'm just saying that humanity can solve its current problems without the need for any left/right wing authoritarianism.
    Which is fine until it becomes apparent that you tend to lump fairly common sense policies into the category of "leftist authoritarianism" because admitting they are common sense would be an admission that there's a problem with the status quo (see: climate change) and run counter to your "everything will get better forever" shtick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

isn't population going to decline in most nations due to low birth rates below replacement?

15+ Year Old Account
    I couldn't find a/the covid megathread, so just gonna dump this here because it's effective population control:

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/statu...80004861861888

Short version - Men who have had covid 19 have 53% lower sperm count than men who have never had covid. Seems natural selection is weeding out anti vaxxers and anti maskers again. Sadly this probably hits a lot of people who even got vaccinated. But anyway, throw "infertility and erectile dysfunction" onto the list of things people get to deal with after having covid.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2022-12-06 at 01:07 AM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    I couldn't find a/the covid megathread, so just gonna dump this here because it's effective population control:

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/statu...80004861861888

Short version - Men who have had covid 19 have 53% lower sperm count than men who have never had covid. Seems natural selection is weeding out anti vaxxers again. Sadly this probably hits a lot of people who even got vaccinated. But anyway, throw "infertility and erectile dysfunction" onto the list of things people get to deal with after having covid.
    "Purebloods", rofl.