10+ Year Old Account

Unhappy RIP Jason David Frank (Tommy Oliver from OG 'Power Rangers') Dead at 49

Genuinely surprised a thread hasn't already been made.

https://www.tmz.com/2022/11/20/power...r-green-white/

I linked the TMZ article just because it was the first one that came up. There are countless others.

Jason David Frank -- one of the original "Power Rangers" -- has died ... TMZ has learned.

The actor and mixed martial artist died in Texas, according to his rep Justine Hunt. Sources with direct knowledge tell us his death was the result of suicide.

JDF is best known as Tommy Oliver from the original run of the "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" franchise, dating back to the kids series' debut in 1993 ... when he was introduced as one of six crime/monster-fighting superheroes, masked head to toe with kung-fu skills.

Fans will remember ... he started out as the Green Ranger in Season 1, introduced at first as an enemy of the Power Rangers -- only to do a 180 and become good. After his powers start to deteriorate, however, he's turned into the White Ranger ... and tapped as the new leader of the group. Frank starred as one of the leads for 3 seasons, totaling 123 episodes.

Frank went on to reprise his role as Tommy in several adaptions of 'Power Rangers' -- including 'Wild Force,' 'Turbo,' 'Zeo,' 'Dino Thunder,' 'Megaforce,' 'Ninja Steel,' 'HyperForce,' and more. He's been a Red Ranger, a Black Ranger and a Green Ranger anew. JDF is a fan favorite Power Ranger ... which is why he's returned to the franchise time and again.

His onscreen fighting abilities translated into the real world ... Frank was a professionally trained MMA brawler, who was well-versed in everything from Taekwondo, Muay Thai, Judo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and others. He fought professionally for a time from 2008 to 2010.

He's survived by his four children.

The belief is that it was a suicide.
    He was poised to divorce his wife soon and she supposedly was after everything.
    His trainer posted a message on social media mentioning that before he found out, JDF called him a couple hours earlier.

Either way... big fucking RIP here from me. As a child 'Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers' was my jam and Tommy was my favorite character. I still remember him coming back as the White Ranger with the White Tiger Zord and being too hyped for my child body.

RIP.

15+ Year Old Account
    RIP 10chars
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, that's rough. RIP.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

10+ Year Old Account
    A piece of a lot of people's childhood. Everyone wanted to be the green ranger. His whole redemption arc was deep for 5 year olds. First celebrity I saw in person as a kid.

I see that he came back die for multiple power ranger series, seems like the franchise meant a lot to him.

RIP

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I couldnt believe it when i heard the news specially since it was found out he commited susicde he hid it so well, he was always smiling happy and charming. I heard his wife divorced him recently, makes me wonder if that broke him... Sometimes inner demons shout to loud and its hard to ignore...

and ill never forget this one scene where he got the master morpher

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    49 is too young.
    If it really was a suicide...then age is irrelevant. Kurt Cobain was 27. Chester Bennington was 41. Chris Cornell was 52. Robin Williams was 63.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Romanthony View Post
    I couldnt believe it when i heard the news specially since it was found out he commited susicde he hid it so well, he was always smiling happy and charming. I heard his wife divorced him recently, makes me wonder if that broke him... Sometimes inner demons shout to loud and its hard to ignore...
    There is a lot of misinformation about suicide in the general public. So much that it is hard to get people to know the truth. This is why so many people are shocked to hear people like Jason David Frank killed themselves, because people who meet them think they are so happy. You never know the demons that people are facing in their own personal life and this is likely something he had struggled with.

A big one is that people who commit suicide are weak/cowards/etc or suicide is "the easy way out." People do not realize that vocalizing this causes people who are considering suicide to be quiet and not seek the help they need. Often the "happy" that people see is an act that they put on.

---

Tommy was my favorite ranger growing up. This news shocked me when I heard it.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Very sad. He was a big part of my childhood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    There is a lot of misinformation about suicide in the general public. So much that it is hard to get people to know the truth. This is why so many people are shocked to hear people like Jason David Frank killed themselves, because people who meet them think they are so happy. You never know the demons that people are facing in their own personal life and this is likely something he had struggled with.

A big one is that people who commit suicide are weak/cowards/etc or suicide is "the easy way out." People do not realize that vocalizing this causes people who are considering suicide to be quiet and not seek the help they need. Often the "happy" that people see is an act that they put on.
    A giant misconception is that depressed and/or suicidal people look like Eeyore from Winnie The Pooh all the time. Head down, lethargic, etc. Not uncommon for people going through it to appear carefree and impulsive if they feel number and just want to try to feel anything or have lost the ability to heed the consequences of their actions. Someone who is otherwise down to Earth may suddenly appear very outgoing. People also get good at keeping up appearances. A suicidal person might appear more giving to others because in their mind they are living their last moments so they become more generous and try to be more 'in the moment'.

The people who can hide their demons the best are the ones who have been fighting them for a long time. Not weak at all, more like they don't know how to get the help they need.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

7+ Year Old Account
    Jesus, it's really sad, especially the reasons people are saying it was. Depression is truly the problem of this generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    If it really was a suicide...then age is irrelevant. Kurt Cobain was 27. Chester Bennington was 41. Chris Cornell was 52. Robin Williams was 63.
    They are prob saying 49 is to young to die, regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post

They are prob saying 49 is to young to die, regardless.
    And I'm saying that when it's suicide...age doesn't matter. The person can't bear the idea of living even one more day.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    And I'm saying that when it's suicide...age doesn't matter. The person can't bear the idea of living even one more day.
    I see you still didn't get the point and just want to argue

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    I see you still didn't get the point and just want to argue
    Hey, if you don't want to reply...don't reply. You won't hurt my feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post

---

Tommy was my favorite ranger growing up. This news shocked me when I heard it.
    I dont think he was anything but weak, Its just he had alot of demons and they shouted too loudly for him to ignore, like I said he hid it all so well, he was so happy, and so cheerful doing his upmost to makepeople aroun him so happy specially his fans. He was a great person for sure thats why it was so shocking.

He will be masively missed.