Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I went into it not expecting to be too impressed tbh. Honestly though, I think I'm going to main evoker for the expansion now. I've always wanted to play as a dragon and honestly, once you get used to the rotation and the fact that you only really need the first empower level on abilities, it's actually really easy to play. My only complaint is that the range on our abilities is a bit too short, and could stand to be extended a bit.

It's not going to be my main, but I am having a blast playing it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Exystredofar View Post
    that you only really need the first empower level on abilities
    Care to elaborate on this? As a healer I don't think this is true.

If Evokers have "zero mobility" than priests must have "negative mobility"... OP, never make a priest or DK.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomR View Post
    It's not going to be my main, but I am having a blast playing it.

- - - Updated - - -

Care to elaborate on this? As a healer I don't think this is true.
    Sorry, should've specified, more than 1 level of empower isn't necessary for Devastation spec in most cases that I've come across so far. I haven't tried Preservation so I'm not sure on that one. With Fire Breath, Empower just makes it do more up front damage and leave a smaller dot, but the actual damage output across all 3 empower levels is identical. The only one that actually needs to be empowered is Eternity Surge, and that's only if you're fighting more than one enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Healerme View Post
    Evoker is a weird one, a lot of people seem to go into the class with a desire to dislike it. But realistically the empower spells have been very well designed, most people feared they'd just be an always channel for as long as possible which is not the case.

People complaining about having to be grounded for 2 casts every 30 seconds make me think they've either never played casters before or are simply wanting to dislike the class. The mobility potential is huge, and the skill differentiators of min maxing Devastation mastery and Preservation's pre-emptive healing and echo/lifebind interactions are huge.

People not knowing or understanding a new class, which realistically is more complicated than many others, doesn't make it bad. So I hope people do give it a proper chance.
    A class being complicated for the sake of being complicated while their gameplay loop is incredibly boring (Devastation) shouldn’t be anything to aim for.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by AngerFork View Post
    At the very least, might be fun to have an add-on to play Frozen sound effects when I cast spells as a frost mage.

EDIT: On the original topic, I personally found Evokers fun to play. There are definitely some weird spots with them, I don't feel like I have nearly as many great healing tricks as I do on my Resto Druid, but they seem overall like a decent addition to the game. Would've maybe added a tank spec, feels weird not to have one. But overall I'm happy with the class.
    I really can't believe they didn't take the opportunity to add a Mail tank spec. I know we have a good number of tank specs, already, but we can always use more, especially one with a drastically different playstyle...who knows, it MIGHT have brought in some non-tank players to the role.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    A class being complicated for the sake of being complicated while their gameplay loop is incredibly boring (Devastation) shouldn’t be anything to aim for.
    Is now the right time to tell you to go play something else? Or is the "incredibly boring gameplay loop" still not a reason enough? Newsflash: people find different things engaging, so your opinion on it is irrelevant - and when talking specifics, you're constantly wrong /shrug

I'll take dracthyr evokers over more boring, lame grimdark shit like dark rangers. Not every aspect of the game needs to cater to the virginal, basement-dwelling edgelord crowd.

Yeah, doesn't really strike the 'fun' chord with me at all. It's like a less interesting demon hunter. Within 2 expansions this will be right next to Monk / Rogue as the least played spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Rageonit View Post
    For people with ADHD who can't stand still for tenth of a second Blizz made melee classes (plus BM hunter). It's a caster, what did you expect? Position yourself well (that's something ranged have to do often, maybe as a melee player you're not accustomed to that), use Hover smartly and you can pew pew.
    Please don't go around throwing ADHD around like that. So I who have ADHD can't stand still for tenth of a second play a class which has no mobility out side of a stupid horse on a 45 second cool down for..3 seconds..yay. please dont drag ADHD into this, it has nothing to do with movement.

and Yeah, Evoker are fine movement wise, you have hover x2 (yeah you have to spec into it, but its not really a wasted point as its a defensive cooldown for a class whos going to suffer A LOT of mechanics) you then have Deep breath which has a talent that you can recall back to your original position and it also makes you IMMUNE to movement impairing effects by Default. Same with Dream flight(healing version of Deep breath) you can then also reduce the cooldown of Deep breath from 3 mins to 2 mins with a talent(which.. im sure is not that great but eh.. devestation is in a good place as is)

And as you said, if you use hover Smartly plus the movement cooldown buff you get as an evoker, your grand.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantazma View Post
    Let's be frank. Having to keep pressing a button (and which is still enslaved in 35 secs of cooldown) to get a glimpse of mobility is the end of the road...!
    Dractyr is boring. Dractyr is boring. Dractyr is very boring
    Try as I said, with a Paladin or Death knight for that matter. 2 of the slowest classes in the game who are both tanks, healers and DPS Compared to say Druids/Monks who just bounces all around the place(not to say demon hunters)

Paladins movement effect, which btw, we don't even get for free, we have to put a damn talent point into it, and spend additonal 2 talent points into making it EFFECTIVE enough. 45 Seconds, Speed increased by 100% for 3 seconds, Does NOT remove/make us immune to Movement impairing effects at all, we have to talent into Hand of Freedom, which we need to cast BEFORE getting onto the Horse.

On the Death Knight side of things you have.

Death's Advance
    For 10 sec, your movement speed is increased by 35%, you cannot be slowed below 100% of normal speed, and you are immune to forced movement effects and knockbacks.

with a follow up.

March of darkness.
    Death's Advance grants an additional 25% movement speed over the first 3 sec.

So thats 1 talent point to increase Death's Advance up to 60% for the FIRST THREE seconds of Death's Advance and then you have 35% extra speed again.

you can then talent into Wraith walk.

Embrace the power of the Shadowlands, removing all root effects and increasing your movement speed by 70% for 4 sec. Taking any action cancels the effect.

While active, your movement speed cannot be reduced below 170%.

Evokers are fine mobilitywise, as I stated in my post here above, they get a ton of abilities that lets them move around quite quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharli View Post
    Please don't go around throwing ADHD around like that.
    It was stupid, I got rightfully infracted for that, and I'm sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Yeah, doesn't really strike the 'fun' chord with me at all. It's like a less interesting demon hunter. Within 2 expansions this will be right next to Monk / Rogue as the least played spec.
    That's what I thought as well. Devastation Evoker is basically like another version of Havoc Demon Hunter that was partially reliant on the (hated) Vengeful Retreat / Fel Rush playstyle. It all boils down to two skills and firing off one or two skills on CD. It's just no fun and there's barely any difference between the level 60 and level 70 playstyle. All you do is maintain Fire Breath DoT on the target, Disintegrate till infinity and then get off some procs or skills on a shorter CD. It's mind-numbing boring. This could be fun as a caster on max range, but on 25y it just feels wrong. The heavy reliance on Disintegrate is the biggest issue imho. As somebody else said, this is like Shadow Priest without all the interactions and DoTs.

I find this so boring that I am trying a Living Flame / Fire Storm playstyle that's a bit more reactive and it's definitely more fun than just spamming Disintegrate forever and ever and ever, but the spec is just missing something. I cannot see this appeal to a huge amount of players unless they want a super easy playstyle that's gimped by range and hard-casted spells. I'm pretty sure after the first months the class will rival Monks for least played.

Not to end this on a negative note, Preservation is still a great spec that - with some tweaks and universal changes - could be the best spec they introduced since... I don't know, Mistweaver Monk most likely. They did a great job with it. My criticism centers mostly around Devastation.
    Last edited by Nyel; 2022-11-22 at 10:59 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    The spell animations really do look kinda silly. Why can't it just be fire instead of whatever sparkly happiness they fire at enemies?

Imo the art direction has overall changed for the worse over the last couple of years in some ways, things look cuter and less menacing than before. Must be the influence of female artists I guess. I prefer the older, heavy metal like style.
    "why cant it just be fire" cause that is boring as fuck?
    the "sparkly happiness" is them using fire, frost, arcane, earth, time, and nature magic. they are using all the aspects powers, because they are made using all of them.

also lol less menacing and cuter then before, i think you mean just more polygons and pixels...
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

Devastation is meh but Preservation is a lot of fun. I know I'll keep an Evoker alt just for M+ as a healer.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    You just clearly see that Devastation as a spec was an afterthought because it's so bare bones and boring while at the same time you have to play a tedious numbers game to get the most out of it - only matters for min-maxers though (the wowhead guide to Devastation is just ridiculous).

I have no idea how they could make Preservation so great and make Devastation such a terrible spec. It's beyond me. The entire gameplay loop of Disintegrating as much as possible on a limited range is so awkward. And Deva's big CDs are terrible as well. Deep Breath is just outright me and Dragonrage just results in Disintegrating as much as possible - zZZZzzzZZ.

I love how my Dracthyr looks now though, I didn't think I would enjoy it that much from the preview.
    lolololololol gunna cry and complain about the spec not feeling complete and being an afterthought.
    when you dont even fucking know how it works
    dragonrage does not do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

Quote Originally Posted by Exystredofar View Post
    Sorry, should've specified, more than 1 level of empower isn't necessary for Devastation spec in most cases that I've come across so far. I haven't tried Preservation so I'm not sure on that one. With Fire Breath, empower just makes it do more up-front damage and leave a smaller dot, but the actual damage output across all 3 empower levels is identical. The only one that actually needs to be empowered is Eternity Surge, and that's only if you're fighting more than one enemy.
    As a healer one of our empower skills makes it affect more players. One empower level means it heals one player up to 4 players at the fourth empower. Although the healing it does is the same just spread so technically you are correct. And dream breath works exactly how you describe fire breath where the Over Time Healing portion just shifts to the Upfront healing.

I don't get all the whining, I mean seriously if you don't like the gameplay just stick with whatever you prefer and stop acting like children. As for the visuals it's the same, I personally think it's fine no worse than gnomes (yuck).

Also the OP has so many bad points that I don't even think he plays this game, but from what I understand he has a history of posting weird stuff.

Personally I don't to play casters like casters so this class isn't for me (I did level one)

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    lolololololol gunna cry and complain about the spec not feeling complete and being an afterthought.
    when you dont even fucking know how it works
    dragonrage does not do that.
    It exactly does that due to its nature of increasing the proc chance for Essence Bursts.

Oddly enough spiritbloom is weirdly unique in that the healing actually isn't split evenly amongst all targets, it's duplicated which honestly feels like a bug/oversight and would explain why they're a little busted right now, in M+ at least.

Spirit Bloom should have been kept as a single target healing empower instead of being another group healing tool like Dream Breath. The same goes for Eternity Surge. No idea why they felt the need to make all four Empower skills tools for AoE. I understand that it's meant for "spread" AoE damage and healing, but the lack of a simple ST empower is noticeable, for Preservation more than for Devastation.