Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Nah. Dragonriding should stay with just select mounts. Not to mention it doesn't make any sense to give the dragonriding mechanics to mounts such as the Archmage's Prismatic Disk, or the Love Rocket, or Ban-Lu... in short, mounts that don't rely on wings to fly, usually doing so through magic/technology alone.

In your opinion. In my opinion, it's not. Because it lacks what I consider to be the best parts of the original flying mechanic that I appreciate a lot.

Nah, I'd rather keep the default flight mechanic so I can head to where I want without having to play a game I don't enjoy. Like back in MoP where I was forced to partake in a game I didn't enjoy (PvP) to get an item required (the legendary cloak questline) for the game I do enjoy (PvE).

- - - Updated - - -

I don't doubt that Blizzard could very well make dragonriding remain even after the Dragonflight expansion is over, and that would be fine with me, as there are those who do enjoy the feature and likely would continue to like it in the future.

My beef is with this arrogant claim that this feature should replace the basic flying feature and completely remove it from the game. That I'm not okay with.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you ask questions answered in the exact same post you took that quote from?
    Because they have no argument that makes sense. They just don't get how some people like different things and If you do like different things you're either lying or wrong. Could you imagine what this person is like in real life, I can bet their friends really don't like hanging out with them when all they would do is push their opinion as the only one that's right.

7+ Year Old Account
    Why do you ask questions answered in the exact same post you took that quote from?
    show me where? cause I must be blind but no where did you explain WHY you go AFK, you explain you watch videos while afk, but no where do you say WHY you go afk.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    show me where? cause I must be blind but no where did you explain WHY you go AFK, you explain you watch videos while afk, but no where do you say WHY you go afk.
    Then I guess you're blind. My post had four paragraphs, of which you answered one. That leaves three of them unanswered. Here's a hint: it's the paragraph immediately above the one you responded to:
    Because being on a flying mount hover in mid-air ensures that I won't be killed by stray mobs on the ground if I need to pull away from the computer for whatever reason, such as getting something to eat, or answering the phone, or the doorbell, etc.

7+ Year Old Account
    Then I guess you're blind. My post had four paragraphs, of which you answered one. That leaves three of them unanswered. Here's a hint: it's the paragraph immediately above the one you responded to:
    Odd, cause how do you do those while making sure you don't afk too long? Without just constantly going back to check?
    Isn't that just a Hassel, randomly going past where you need to be and maybe dying, or missing mobs while your flying afk.

When you answer the doorbell do you stop them mid conversation and say "sorry gotta go make sure I didn't fly over the area I was trying to get to in wow" every 30ish seconds to make sure?

Why do you need to afk while flying?
    It's not why do you need to afk, that's fucking obvious.
    But why do you need to afk. While flying.
    Why when you need to afk, can you not just stop... And go do what you need to do, why donyoj need to afk while flying and risk dying? Why do you need to afk while flying to watch YouTube videos?
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2022-11-22 at 02:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    I love the idea of mount classes, it adds so much to collecting.

It would be nice to see it extended to ground mounts too, like heavy ground mounts (kodo, Ellen) stomp when dismounted which stuns nearby enemies and grants a shield, flying mounts all get slow fall or glide, agile mounts like raptors or mechanostriders can jump real high, horses run faster on roads, predators fight for you briefly after dismounting, dragons take a deep breath and do am aoe before flying away etc etc.

Make it so you can only take 3 mounts with you at a time or something so you have to make a choice at the stables
    No way this would suck ass. Do not break what already exists and works for others for some weird vision you personally came up with. Just let dragonriding exist for those specific mount and leave the rest alone.

Odd, cause how do you do those while making sure you don't afk too long? Without just constantly going back to check?
    Isn't that just a Hassel, randomly going past where you need to be and maybe dying, or missing mobs while your flying afk.
    Like I said in the very same paragraph you originally quoted, I just know how to manage my AFK time. I know, from experience, roughly how long it's going to take to go from point A to point B, and appropriately judge how long I can stay away from the computer and return before I reach my destination or fly too far past it.

When you answer the doorbell do you stop them mid conversation and say "sorry gotta go make sure I didn't fly over the area I was trying to get to in wow" every 30ish seconds to make sure?
    Unless it's a friend of mine visiting, I very rarely spend more than thirty seconds answering the doorbell.

Why do you need to afk while flying?
    It's not why do you need to afk, that's fucking obvious.
    But why do you need to afk. While flying.
    Why when you need to afk, can you not just stop... And go do what you need to do, why donyoj need to afk while flying and risk dying? Why do you need to afk while flying to watch YouTube videos?
    Why shouldn't I go get a refill on my water while my character is auto-flying from Stormwind to Badlands for the event, for example? Or why shouldn't I go check if my cats' food bowl isn't empty while my character is auto-flying from Ratchet to Un'Goro? It's time where I would be doing nothing, so why not use it elsewhere?

7+ Year Old Account
    Like I said in the very same paragraph you originally quoted, I just know how to manage my AFK time. I know, from experience, roughly how long it's going to take to go from point A to point B, and appropriately judge how long I can stay away from the computer and return before I reach my destination or fly too far past it.

Unless it's a friend of mine visiting, I very rarely spend more than thirty seconds answering the doorbell.

Why shouldn't I go get a refill on my water while my character is auto-flying from Stormwind to Badlands for the event, for example? Or why shouldn't I go check if my cats' food bowl isn't empty while my character is auto-flying from Ratchet to Un'Goro? It's time where I would be doing nothing, so why not use it elsewhere?
    Because you don't have to, you could be playing the game, having fun, doing what you want to do and not having to afk while flying.
    I think you fail to realize, that you don't need to afk while flying if getting from point A to point B is both fast, and fun.

yeah if you press num lock and then just sit there for 3 minutes of course you are going to go afk basically watching the game play auto-pilot.
    but if it only takes about 50 seconds of swooping and soaring and launching yourself across the isles then why do you need to go afk?

Pick anywhere on the isles, and I will show you how insanely fucking fast it is to get there, just say a location or screenshot and post the image with your mouse cursor somewhere. take you like 5 seconds, and I will go do it right now, record it, and link it here with timestamp and everything, hell even feel free to list 2 locations and I will go from the capital city (which is the main hub, and where you will have your 15 min cd hearth) and then to the other location listed, and we can see how long that takes.

like seriously, i feel people who complain about no longer being able to afk while flying, fail to realize you don't need to afk while flying.

cause the time you normally would be afking and then come back, you could go afk without having to worry, come back in whatever amount of time you want to take, and then get there in no time.

why worry abotu having to only go afk for 3 minutes, and if you dont get back fast enough you die and lose time, when you can go afk for AS LONG AS YOU WANT and then come back, to get there in faster time then it would be to get to your corpse.
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2022-11-22 at 04:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyrr View Post
    No way this would suck ass. Do not break what already exists and works for others for some weird vision you personally came up with. Just let dragonriding exist for those specific mount and leave the rest alone.
    Literally just buffing other mount classes will ruin the game for players?

Stupid take but okay.

You're being incredibly dishonest if you have been in this thread for longer than a single post. Which you have. Just in this page alone there's me explaining my problem with removing the original flight mechanic to make dragonriding baseline.
    The time it takes you to mount and fly up you can just walk away from any potentialo mobs. I still havent seen a single argument for your case.

Because you don't have to, you could be playing the game, having fun, doing what you want to do and not having to afk while flying.
    And I will be playing the game, having fun and doing what I want to do once I reach my destination. You know what I don't want to do? Play "medieval flight simulator".

I think you fail to realize, that you don't need to afk while flying if getting from point A to point B is both fast, and fun.
    And what you fail to realize is that I do not think the dragonriding mechanic is fun. How many times do I need to repeat "I'm not here to play flight simulator games" before you understand that simple fact? Hence why I don't want it to replace the baseline flight mechanic. "Fun" is fucking subjective.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    The time it takes you to mount and fly up you can just walk away from any potentialo mobs. I still havent seen a single argument for your case.
    If you ignore everything, it's easy to claim there's no argument. FFS.

It would be much easier, simpler and faster to just fly upwards and stay in mid-air rather than move around a mob-filled zone and hope the spot I picked has zero patrols or spawns within aggro range.

7+ Year Old Account
    And I will be playing the game, having fun and doing what I want to do once I reach my destination. You know what I don't want to do? Play "medieval flight simulator".

And what you fail to realize is that I do not think the dragonriding mechanic is fun. How many times do I need to repeat "I'm not here to play flight simulator games" before you understand that simple fact? Hence why I don't want it to replace the baseline flight mechanic. "Fun" is fucking subjective.

- - - Updated - - -

If you ignore everything, it's easy to claim there's no argument. FFS.

It would be much easier, simpler and faster to just fly upwards and stay in mid-air rather than move around a mob-filled zone and hope the spot I picked has zero patrols or spawns within aggro range.
    If you find neither source of flight fun, why wouldn't you want the one that is FASTER so you can get to what you enjoy faster? Why do you enjoy it taking longer to get to what you find fun?

If you find neither source of flight fun, why wouldn't you want the one that is FASTER so you can get to what you enjoy faster? Why do you enjoy it taking longer to get to what you find fun?
    I have already answered that question. More than once in this thread. If you claim you don't know the answer, you're basically admitting you don't really read what people write. More than once you asked questions where the answers lie in previous responses of mine, and sometimes even in the very same post you responded.

You want to know why I prefer the original flight mechanic over dragonriding? Go read my previous responses. And I do mean read, like you should have done in the first place. Not just skim through them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    They said that starting with DF they're focusing more on doing evergreen features and not just expansion one-offs. I don't know how they'd bring it forward but I think they already hinted that it's sticking around.
    They definitely want to bring it forward, but they're leaving it open in case it turns out to not be popular. One of the problems with dragonriding is the reduction of convenience (all around positive in my book - no AFKing midair, no autoflying, gathering becomes less braindead, etc) which makes it likely that normal flying isn't going away.

Overall the "problem" with dragonriding is that it makes the game much more interactive, which definitely isn't going to sit well with everyone. Having a balance where dragonriding is much faster but less convenient works overall in my eyes, even if it doesn't really make sense for both to exist.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    It is not degenertive gameplay. It is what gets you from point A to B. As I said, if you like Dragonridgin, you use that Leave regluar flying for those who want that. Stop asking for removal of things you don't like. THere is ZERO aarguments for not keeping both.

- - - Updated - - -

Or how about just having both? YOU can use Dragonriding and those that want regular flying can have that. Why does it have to be either or? WHy does it have to be catered solely to you?

- - - Updated - - -

Because the pro-dragonrriding crew can't function unless everyone else is forced to since other people flying normally somehow impacts their ability to play.
    You saying it isn't degenerative doesn't make it not degenerative. A lot of the aspects of what makes dragonriding better for the game in general hinges on the removal of normal flying (no AFKing midair, no braindead gathering, no/less ignoring of terrain) as if you still had normal flying you could just swap when convenient and lose nothing. Problem with that is that players aren't good with losing things even if it would make the game better as a whole, so we're very unlikely to see normal flying ever go away.
    Last edited by Segus1992; 2022-11-22 at 12:22 PM.

Exclamation

It’s hilarious to me that the advocates to old flying all lean on the exact same reasoning as one another. Things like the following;

• Allows user to hover in mid-air while AFK to safely disengage with the game world.

• Allows user to disregard level design to bypassing terrain challenges.

• Allows user to gather resources unchallenged.

• Provides an easy way to skip content.

• Actively encourages players to disengage from the game by providing an easy way to afk while traveling from anywhere in the game.

These are the points of people defending legacy traversal. Actively, time and time again these are the points they stand on. And every single one of these points just blatantly shows how absolutely busted and overpowered legacy flying is while also expressing the degenerate types of behavior it reinforces.

What more is needed to be said? There’s a reason why Blizzard has been proactive in establishing mechanics like Pathfinder in an attempt to balance this mechanic. Because without it, people abuse those points made above trivializing the efforts put forward by Blizzard. This isn’t some kind of subjective opinion.

Legacy flying is a degenerative and frankly busted mechanic. Blizzard knows it, we know it. This is an objective fact that’s only reinforced by the people who defend it. Dragonflying is their attempt at meeting people half way. “Give people flying but with mechanics that allow players to engage with the world in a meaningful and immersive way.”

There isn’t a single opinion in my post here so please don’t go “BuT ThAtS YoUr oPiNiOn” because it isn’t.
    Last edited by Kilrox; 2022-11-22 at 02:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Big disagree. I tried out Dragonriding on the Beta and it felt clunky as hell. I don't want to engage in some weird mini-game every time I need to go somewhere on my mount.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPrincess View Post
    Oh, you're just wrong. That happens.
    NO I am not. It's called an opinion. Stop acting like you are the dictator of what is right and wrong. You are not. That is massive projection on your part.

Quote Originally Posted by ercarp View Post
    Big disagree. I tried out Dragonriding on the Beta and it felt clunky as hell. I don't want to engage in some weird mini-game every time I need to go somewhere on my mount.
    So take a flight path?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilrox View Post
    So take a flight path?
    Bad solution. If you like Dragon Riding so much, go play Spyro or something.

It’s hilarious to me that the advocates to old flying all lean on the exact same reasoning as one another. Things like the following;

• Allows user to hover in mid-air while AFK to safely disengage with the game world.

• Allows user to disregard level design to bypassing terrain challenges.

• Allows user to gather resources unchallenged.

• Provides an easy way to skip content.

• Actively encourages players to disengage from the game by providing an easy way to afk while traveling from anywhere in the game.

These are the points of people defending legacy traversal. Actively, time and time again these are the points they stand on. And every single one of these points just blatantly shows how absolutely busted and overpowered legacy flying is while also expressing the degenerate types of behavior it reinforces.

What more is needed to be said? There’s a reason why Blizzard has been proactive in establishing mechanics like Pathfinder in an attempt to balance this mechanic. Because without it, people abuse those points made above trivializing the efforts put forward by Blizzard. This isn’t some kind of subjective opinion.

Legacy flying is a degenerative and frankly busted mechanic. Blizzard knows it, we know it. This is an objective fact that’s only reinforced by the people who defend it. Dragonflying is their attempt at meeting people half way. “Give people flying but with mechanics that allow players to engage with the world in a meaningful and immersive way.”

There isn’t a single opinion in my post here so please don’t go “BuT ThAtS YoUr oPiNiOn” because it isn’t.
    Yes there is. IT is ALL opinion. Every single word you said after the bullet points is your OPINION. Being passive aggressive with your last statement doesn't make it any less of an opinion.

ps this is probably a burner account of the OP.

- - - Updated - - -

So take a flight path?
    FLight paths don't take you directly to where you want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by ercarp View Post
    Bad solution. If you like Dragon Riding so much, go play Spyro or something.
    Please explain how taking a flight path is a bad solution. It’s exactly what you guys want, an easy way to afk from point A to point B on a map so you can disengage from the game world. The problem you don’t like is that it does what you want in a more balanced way. What you want is a method to skip content.