Page 10 of 81 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by molliewoof View Post
    A lot of teams wouldn't be in if they were in the EU brackets for qualification. I quite like that there's guaranteed world representation in the world cup though.

Just googled world cup tables to see when Portugal were playing as I had them in the sweep at work and Holland are ahead of Ecuador in the group, both won 2 0. Has anyone got any idea why? I'd have thought it was alphabetical? I'm not bothered just caught my attention
    Nope, after all things are equal, fair play is the decider. Apparently Ecuador is lower in ranking.

A lot of teams wouldn't be in if they were in the EU brackets for qualification. I quite like that there's guaranteed world representation in the world cup though.
    Well, TBF you also have teams like Poland and Wales qualifying from Europe, and they have as much business playing in WC finals as teams like Costa Rica or Qatar. Which is my point, 32 teams is already too much and they are increasing it to 48, it's such a joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Just googled world cup tables to see when Portugal were playing as I had them in the sweep at work and Holland are ahead of Ecuador in the group, both won 2 0. Has anyone got any idea why? I'd have thought it was alphabetical? I'm not bothered just caught my attention
    Probably ordered that way due to tiebreaker rules, one of the last checked there is disciplinary/fair play status.

So my guess, Netherlands lead due to having received less yellow cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Nope, after all things are equal, fair play is the decider. Apparently Ecuador is lower in ranking.
    Thank you, so yellow cards in tournament etc?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pozz View Post
    Probably ordered that way due to tiebreaker rules, one of the last checked there is disciplinary/fair play status.

So my guess, Netherlands lead due to having received less yellow cards.
    Thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you, so yellow cards in tournament etc?

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you.
    That, and other total transparent FIFA reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Costa Rica came through the same qualifying region as America, Mexico and Canada, then beat New Zealand in the inter conference playoffs.

Maybe reduce CONCACAF to 3 spots and give the OFC a fixed spot.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

7+ Year Old Account
    Welp, first stomp of this WC.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Costa Rica came through the same qualifying region as America, Mexico and Canada, then beat New Zealand in the inter conference playoffs.

Giving the OFC a fixed spot is ridiculous. For years Australia was winning qualifying matches with 20-0 minimum only to get beaten once they met an actual opponent with more then 50 active football players in their country. When they moved to the AFC they actually managed to qualify. If NZ wants a shot at qualifying for a WC they should move to the AFC.

OFC got 1.33 spots from next WC, albeit CONCACAF gets 6.33 spots.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pozz View Post
    OFC got 1.33 spots from next WC, albeit CONCACAF gets 6.33 spots.
    OFC highest ranked is NZ at 103, Solomons Isles is next at 137. The rest of OFC is between 150 and San Marino (number 211)

when morata scores you know your team are donkeys

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Giving the OFC a fixed spot is ridiculous. For years Australia was winning qualifying matches with 20-0 minimum only to get beaten once they met an actual opponent with more then 50 active football players in their country. When they moved to the AFC they actually managed to qualify. If NZ wants a shot at qualifying for a WC they should move to the AFC.
    Giving CONCACAF a fourth spot isn't working out either.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Giving CONCACAF a fourth spot isn't working out either.
    Ofcourse, that's why 48 teams are way too much.
    Ask anyone who knows football a little bit who will win their groups and 95% will name the same teams. Only Germany/Spain and Portugal/Uruguay are up for debate (well not anymore for the former). This year's draw is suspiciously fleshed out.
    The problem with Costa Rica is that after reaching their success in 2014 they hanged on to the same team, which isn't weird for a country of 5 million. But it will bite you in the ass after a few years. They've beaten NZ so they qualified fair and square for this WC.
    32 teams is more then enough for the WC, especially seeing that at least 12 teams are filler material. 48 is stupid. But saying a 4th CONCACAF team is worse then 1 OFC spot is just wrong. Almost every team is CONCACAF is way higher in ranking then their OFC brethren.

Looks like Belgium wants to join Argentina and Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    Well, TBF you also have teams like Poland and Wales qualifying from Europe, and they have as much business playing in WC finals as teams like Costa Rica or Qatar. Which is my point, 32 teams is already too much and they are increasing it to 48, it's such a joke.
    Poland never qualified (legally) in the first place.
    Wales participating separately from England is a joke in itself - why isn’t UK playing as one participant? And if regions are ok to participate separately, why isn’t each German land participating separately?

Fair play, there is none of this. “Qualification” championships e.g. UEFA, are nowhere near fair play too, as representation and competition is uneven between regional championships.

It should be direct tournament with each country able to present a team and play directly, to be called a World Cup.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    Looks like Belgium wants to join Argentina and Germany.
    Canadians are absolutely outplaying Belgium right now.

“ Ofcourse, that's why 48 teams are way too much.”

Do you realize that if each of the ~200 countries of the world would participate directly, the whole championship would only take about a week longer, two more rounds?

Thst second penalty that referee didnt mark for canada

Gotta score them penalties when you get them or this happens.

Long time ago, it was 24 teams.
    Then 32.
    Now 48.