Thread: 2022 Midterms

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-...ance-rcna58557

Whoa, bold moves from incoming Speaker McCarthy! He's bringing back patriotism!

Except for the fact that...like...

It's not just a thing, starting sessions with the Pledge of Allegiance is required by the rules of the House.

This is why you don't elect Republicans. They'll make a big to-do about "DOING SOMETHING" and then you discover that thing is A) hilariously trivial and doesn't impact or benefit everyday Americans in the slightest and B) is something that's already done, so they're not "DOING SOMETHING" so much as "CONTINUING TO DO THE THING THAT WAS ALREADY DONE."

There is one explanation though -

Boy it would be embarrassing if I spent a decade and a half working somewhere and didn't even know the basic rules.
    Regardless of McCarthy's dishonesty, can we agree that the rule is super fuckin' fascy and weird? It's bad enough when you force schoolkids to make the pledge daily. Doing it for sitting members of Congress is so utterly patronizing and servile that if you put that into a movie about a dystopic hellscape, people would think it's too silly to suspend disbelief.

Eyyy, Palin loses. Again.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/24/alas...-projects.html

Maybe she'll figure out that folks just really don't like her much anymore.

Kudo's to Rep. Pelota though. She gets a few firsts to her name and flips a seat that's been in Republican hands for a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Regardless of McCarthy's dishonesty, can we agree that the rule is super fuckin' fascy and weird? It's bad enough when you force schoolkids to make the pledge daily. Doing it for sitting members of Congress is so utterly patronizing and servile that if you put that into a movie about a dystopic hellscape, people would think it's too silly to suspend disbelief.
    No.

It's a distraction.

It doesn't matter in the slightest. But now we're talking about it. Now all you folks are coming out going "Gosh darn it's SO OPPRESSIVE to say the pledge!" and you;ve got all these folks who, like me, don't give a shit, and the folks who think it's great looking at you like you're a frikken weirdo. It's just giving the Republicans more ammo to focus on shit that doesn't matter.

Don't get distracted. The pledge doesn't matter.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I consider making kids say the pledge considerably worse. Its literal indoctrination in action at an age where they are very susceptible to it. Its what you expect to find in North Korea, not the US.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

15+ Year Old Account
    Endus isn't exactly wrong though. Have a bunch of kids standing around, saluting a flag in a slightly different way than we salute a flag. Have them say a pledge with slightly different wording while keeping the original meaning, and then demonstrate that doing said thing is REQUIRED every single day, and you definitely have a fascy movie scene. People don't need to salute flags and worship presidents to love their country. If anything, the forced participation of kids who don't even know what they're doing very likely creates more resentment in a country where the previous and current generation know they're basically fucked for the rest of their lives because corporate capitalism sucks and the best years of their lives will all be before they have to get a job three jobs just to survive.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-...ance-rcna58557

Whoa, bold moves from incoming Speaker McCarthy! He's bringing back patriotism!

Except for the fact that...like...

It's not just a thing, starting sessions with the Pledge of Allegiance is required by the rules of the House.

This is why you don't elect Republicans. They'll make a big to-do about "DOING SOMETHING" and then you discover that thing is A) hilariously trivial and doesn't impact or benefit everyday Americans in the slightest and B) is something that's already done, so they're not "DOING SOMETHING" so much as "CONTINUING TO DO THE THING THAT WAS ALREADY DONE."

There is one explanation though -

Boy it would be embarrassing if I spent a decade and a half working somewhere and didn't even know the basic rules.
    Your quote says the House already begins its day with a prayer.

What was that bit again about Congress not establishing a religion?

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Your quote says the House already begins its day with a prayer.

What was that bit again about Congress not establishing a religion?
    That went out the window in 1956 when Congress unanimously voted to make "In god we trust" the American motto.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    That went out the window in 1956 when Congress unanimously voted to make "In god we trust" the American motto.
    To be fair... it doesn't say which god...

I prefer to believe they pray to zeus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post

Well they used to. Based on that eyesore golden idol we seen a few years back there's a new deity for at least a large portion of US Politicians.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Well, 2 is better than 1.

For people not familiar the new strategy is have someone go on tv with Walker, it has been Graham, and they speak for Walker. Admittedly I just seen snippets of this one, but I am assuming this was like previous with Graham, with no doubt he was there to communicate a clear message so Walker would not have to talk.

Oh btw Walker said this:

Walker: This erection is about the people
    Honestly not sure what is worse in this photo. The fact that Graham has to speak for him or that Ted Cruz has to be there. There is talk of a winter storm going to hit Texas here in a day or two from some weather projections so I wonder if this is his moment to evade the state.

- - - Updated - - -

That rule came to be a thing from a 1995 rule change during Newt Gingrich time when he was Speaker of the House.

This reminds me of this (Note, language in the below clip, play at own risk lol):

Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    Honestly not sure what is worse in this photo. The fact that Graham has to speak for him or that Ted Cruz has to be there. There is talk of a winter storm going to hit Texas here in a day or two from some weather projections so I wonder if this is his moment to evade the state.
    “Major snow storm is going to dump on Texas. Are you packed?” one person asked him.

“Anyone know where Ted Cruz is heading? ‘Freak Storm’ Headed for Texas Could Dump Entire Season of Snow Overnight,” chimed in another.

Another person mocked: “#WhenItsTooColdOutside Ted Cruz just heads to Cancun.”

“North TX has a chance of snow flurries overnight. Have you booked your flight to Cancun?” added someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post

Isn't it "In God we trust"? With a capitol G? Then it's the Christian god, isn't it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Isn't it "In God we trust"? With a capitol G? Then it's the Christian god, isn't it?
    That's just addressing a deity by their proper title, like My Lord, M'Lady, God.
    It could be any god from Yahweh to Slaanesh.
    In this instance it's because Commies will fear 1 capital G and lowercase o and d. Especially when written down. Because reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's the sun

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    That's just addressing a deity by their proper title, like My Lord, M'Lady, God.
    It could be any god from Yahweh to Slaanesh.
    In this instance it's because Commies will fear 1 capital G and lowercase o and d. Especially when written down. Because reasons.
    Some Republicans had more of a Nurgle streak going on lately I'd say.

Do agree it was anti-Commie posturing and little more.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Endus isn't exactly wrong though. Have a bunch of kids standing around, saluting a flag in a slightly different way than we salute a flag. Have them say a pledge with slightly different wording while keeping the original meaning, and then demonstrate that doing said thing is REQUIRED every single day, and you definitely have a fascy movie scene. People don't need to salute flags and worship presidents to love their country. If anything, the forced participation of kids who don't even know what they're doing very likely creates more resentment in a country where the previous and current generation know they're basically fucked for the rest of their lives because corporate capitalism sucks and the best years of their lives will all be before they have to get a job three jobs just to survive.
    Here in TX they don't only do the pledge to the US but also another one to TX.

New York and its suburbs are among the safest large communities in the U.S. But amid a torrent of doomsday-style ads and headlines about rising crime, suburban swing voters helped drive a Republican rout that played a decisive role in capturing the House.

Strange? This was not the narrative by NYT and more specific NYC market media before the election.

It’s really mind-blowing seeing the
    nytimes
    —one of the chief purveyors of false/misleading “doomsday headlines” about crime in NY & around country—now reporting on the electoral impact of their own harmful journalism practices. And yet mentioning only other papers & “media.”

This person has a nice thread on stories and reporting of so called rampant crime stories before the election. I posted earlier and more is coming out that hyped up storylines about crime led people to vote Republican. Once more this was not Fox News, but ironically was in sync with them while Fox and right wing fear mongered the MSM and local media supported the claims.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

You know what's really crazy? I cannot recall seeing a single news story, since the election, about someone being randomly attacked in New York.

Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    You know what's really crazy? I cannot recall seeing a single news story, since the election, about someone being randomly attacked in New York.
    Just like the dreaded migrant caravan that conveniently vanished the instant the corresponding election was over. It's not crazy...it's just how propaganda works.