Will my current PSU be enough for my new video card?

upgrading from a 1070 gtx to a ASROCK OCF 6900xt

Ive been reading that my EVGA Supernova 850 G2, 80+ Gold 850W will be enough but the box of the 6900xt is saying requires 1000 watt psu minimum.

My specs:

motherboard: MSI x570 pro
    processor: Ryzen 7 3700x
    memory: 32GB dd4
    3 SSD drives around 256GB each
    2 mechanical drives 5400rpm 2 TB each.

I dont really overlcock at all but from what i understand the AROCK 3900xt im getting is overclocked out of the box.

I'd greatly appreciate some advice. Really trying to avoid upgrading my psu but I will if I absolutely must.

If I should upgrade my psu what is a good affordable option?
    Last edited by Teca; 2022-11-27 at 01:35 AM.

Personal opinion, stay away from EVGA PSUs. I had 3 brand new ones fail, when using a 3090ti. Anytime a 3d program would start, the power from the video card, EVGA branded, would pull more than 100amps, causing the PSU to shut off. Couldn't figure it out until EVGA customer support stated they have had issues in the past with their hardware doing this. I was happy to receive that level of honesty from the tech, but would never ever buy their PSUs again. If you underpower your video card, it can easily damage it, or your other PC components.

Question for you, why would ask a question when you answered it for yourself already?

When a hardware company tells you that you need a specific minimum amount of power to run something, they mean it. It isn't something to second guess.

From what I remember the typical 6900XT uses a bit over 350W(seems like OC Formula can go over 400W) in peak operation. So not that big if you compare around the other offerings. There aren't huge spikes though as far as I know, so all that should be fine for an 850W PSU, especially as the CPU you have is 90W at full load, which will probably not even happen at the same time as your GPU is peaking. Now your PSU may not be the most efficient when you GPU is running full tilt, but that's a whole another topic.

I'd at least try it, worst that will likely happen that the PSU will just shut down, due to transient spike cause voltage overprotection to trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    Personal opinion, stay away from EVGA PSUs. I had 3 brand new ones fail, when using a 3090ti. Anytime a 3d program would start, the power from the video card, EVGA branded, would pull more than 100amps, causing the PSU to shut off. Couldn't figure it out until EVGA customer support stated they have had issues in the past with their hardware doing this. I was happy to receive that level of honesty from the tech, but would never ever buy their PSUs again. If you underpower your video card, it can easily damage it, or your other PC components.

Question for you, why would ask a question when you answered it for yourself already?

When a hardware company tells you that you need a specific minimum amount of power to run something, they mean it. It isn't something to second guess.
    3090ti is on another universe when it comes to power consumption compared to anything really, plus 30-series has quite high transient spikes. While 6900xt does go high on transients as well, it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    From what I remember the typical 6900XT uses a bit over 350W(seems like OC Formula can go over 400W) in peak operation. So not that big if you compare around the other offerings. There aren't huge spikes though as far as I know, so all that should be fine for an 850W PSU, especially as the CPU you have is 90W at full load, which will probably not even happen at the same time as your GPU is peaking. Now your PSU may not be the most efficient when you GPU is running full tilt, but that's a whole another topic.

I'd at least try it, worst that will likely happen that the PSU will just shut down, due to transient spike cause voltage overprotection to trigger.

3090ti is on another universe when it comes to power consumption compared to anything really, plus 30-series has quite high transient spikes. While 6900xt does go high on transients as well, it should be fine.

That wasn't the question. An OEM 6900XT only requires a minimum of 850W PSU, whatever aftermarket card he's looking at says it requires a 1000W PSU. If the video card you're buying says it suggests a minimum of 1000W for their video card to run properly, you're an idiot to use anything less.

Many aftermarket 6900XTs can pull 350+/-430W power draw. If you value your PC, I wouldn't risk running it without a proper PSU that was recommended by your video card specs.

Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    That wasn't the question. An OEM 6900XT only requires a minimum of 850W PSU, whatever aftermarket card he's looking at says it requires a 1000W PSU. If the video card you're buying says it suggests a minimum of 1000W for their video card to run properly, you're an idiot to use anything less.

Many aftermarket 6900XTs can pull 350+/-430W power draw. If you value your PC, I wouldn't risk running it without a proper PSU that was recommended by your video card specs.
    It was the exact question. As long as his PSU can deal with the transient spikes of the GPU he will be more than fine with that PSU and the average power consumption of the card.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    It was the exact question. As long as his PSU can deal with the transient spikes of the GPU he will be more than fine with that PSU and the average power consumption of the card.
    It's a G2 though, somewhat old model. Not sure it was designed with the transient spikes modern cards can put up with.

But, there's nothing wrong with testing it. Worst case the PC shuts down because of Over Current Protection once or twice and then he buys a new one. It shouldn't harm the components

Get peak (not the average and not the meaningless number they use in marketing materials) power consumption from technical specs of each of the components, add it up, add 20% on top just to be safe - this is your target.

Thanks you all have given me things to think about. Leaning towards getting the corsair 1000 watt rmx. I've read good things. The confusion came because a lot of people are claiming the evga g2 850 is more than capable for the card in other parts of the internet;however on the box of the card they listed 1000 watts as min req. Didn't know If they were just covering their asses or if it in fact needed that wattage. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Teca View Post
    Thanks you all have given me things to think about. Leaning towards getting the corsair 1000 watt rmx. I've read good things. The confusion came because a lot of people are claiming the evga g2 850 is more than capable for the card in other parts of the internet;however on the box of the card they listed 1000 watts as min req. Didn't know If they were just covering their asses or if it in fact needed that wattage. Thanks again
    Modern CPUs can use more than 300W, so combination of a high end GPU and CPU can go quite high on power usage, especially spikes, so manufacturers are covering their bases with possibility of a high end GPU and CPU.. And who can blame them, a lot of people tend to run xx900K CPUs in their gaming systems and those can go incredibly high on power even while gaming.

About Corsair, had a 650W RMi and now have an AX1000 and have nothing bad to say about them, efficiency is top notch. I'd really recommend to try the old PSU still though. And be ready to get a new one if it's crashing. You can undervolt(or reduce power target) the 6900XT to use less power while waiting for a new PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Drudi View Post
    Get peak (not the average and not the meaningless number they use in marketing materials) power consumption from technical specs of each of the components, add it up, add 20% on top just to be safe - this is your target.
    Somewhat save bet on most GPUs, but not on all. For instance typical max for a 3090 was 450W, but transients went way over 550W(think some people reported over 600W transients on a 3090), hence 20% wouldn't be enough as it'd be only 540W. Other thing is also efficiency, especially in EU now with such high power prices, it's why I bought an AX1000, even though I could've gotten by with ad 850W or even a 750W PSU, but the AX happened to have incredible efficiency from 20% onwards till fairly high, while my typical gaming average load is closer to 300W to 350W while max is about 500W.

Quote Originally Posted by Teca View Post
    They are just covering their asses. Try your current PSU first, unless you just want to upgrade for whatever reason. Also, undervolt the card. You can usually knock of 100-200mV without losing any performance on just about any card, and often more. My 3080 is running .875V, and the stock behaviour was like 1.15 or something.