Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    1+ Year Old Account

New WoW engine lacks image sharpening.

Anyone else feeling like the new engine update kinda feels like looking at the screen through someone else's prescription glasses that are almost the same as yours but not quite?

Like...in the character selection screen, as well as up-close in the game, it looks fine. But you move the camera away from the character a few times and it becomes kinda blurry.

You can kinda fix the issue in the game by setting the Rendering Scale to 200% and turning the GPU into a radiator (bonus during cold weather cause you can save money on burning gas...provided your GPU doesn't explode), OR by using the Nvidia settings to activate Image Scaling, but then it fucks with your in-game graphics and text.

I have a 2080 RTX Ti.

Edit...

Ok, I messed with the settings some more and managed to make it much better by setting Rendering Scale to 125% and then going into Nvidia Settings and setting Image Scaling to 15%.

Still dumb that I had to pull this because of Blizzard "fixing" what doesn't need to be fixed, as usual.
    Last edited by Cynical Asshole; 2022-11-28 at 12:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynical Asshole View Post
    Anyone else feeling like the new engine update kinda feels like looking at the screen through someone else's prescription glasses that are almost the same as yours but not quite?

Like...in the character selection screen, as well as up-close in the game, it looks fine. But you move the camera away from the character a few times and it becomes kinda blurry.

You can kinda fix the issue in the game by setting the Rendering Scale to 200% and turning the GPU into a radiator (bonus during cold weather cause you can save money on burning gas...provided your GPU doesn't explode), OR by using the Nvidia settings to activate Image Scaling, but then it fucks with your in-game graphics and text.

I have a 2080 RTX Ti.

Edit...

Ok, I messed with the settings some more and managed to make it much better but setting Rendering Scale to 125% and then going into Nvidia Settings and setting Image Scaling to 15%.

Still dumb that I had to pull this because of Blizzard "fixing" what doesn't need to be fixed, as usual.
    Blizzard hasn't updated the engine for a while, mate.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Lochton View Post
    This an old myth that isn't true anymore. The engine is regularly updated. Like, constantly.
    And it was updated for DF.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Edit...

Ok, I messed with the settings some more and managed to make it much better by setting Rendering Scale to 125% and then going into Nvidia Settings and setting Image Scaling to 15%.

Wow! Thank you!

I thought it was just me. I hit 40 and I need reading glasses now (SIGH I started playing this stupid game in my 20s...), but apparently at this distance my vision is just fine, it's WoW that was the problem.

But that's a vast improvement, doing exactly what you suggested in the edit. Thank you again!

EDIT - And yeah absolutely the engine has been updated.
    Last edited by Eurhetemec; 2022-11-28 at 12:49 PM.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

1+ Year Old Account
    Yeah...pretty sure it was. Also extra settings have appeared, if you haven't check it out, yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    Wow! Thank you!

I thought it was just me. I hit 40 and I need reading glasses now (SIGH I started playing this stupid game in my 20s...), but apparently at this distance my vision is just fine, it's WoW that was the problem.

But that's a vast improvement, doing exactly what you suggested in the edit. Thank you again!

EDIT - And yeah absolutely the engine has been updated.
    Right on!

I have a 2080 RTX Ti.

Edit...

That may just be your pc or your eye sight. My images are crisp 100% of the time. Though I do get 180fps even durinf raids and the prepatch boss fights.

- - - Updated - - -

Theyve literally updated it every xpac since cata.

There are so many different options for managing anti-aliasing and resolution scaling now that it does get very confusing figuring out what the optimal choice is if you want a crisp clean image and not needlessly overtaxing your hardware. It's been like this since Legion and has just been getting more complex since.

Having guides on this stuff would be helpful.

You could alternatively try using ReShade with one of its sharpening post-processing filters.
    Last edited by Lazy Gecko; 2022-11-28 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    That may just be your pc or your eye sight. My images are crisp 100% of the time. Though I do get 180fps even durinf raids and the prepatch boss fights.

- - - Updated - - -

Every expansion since launch.

I have a 2080 RTX Ti.

Edit...

There is no “new” engine or “engine update” - it’s just higher resolution textures etc.

Yeah, also noticed it. Feels like you no longer can distinguish chars from the environment, everything just melts together in some awkward way. Had to disable anti aliasing entirely to help it.

Appreciate your self aware and honest nickname selection btw.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah...pretty sure it was. Also extra settings have appeared, if you haven't check it out, yet.
    Looked around quite enough and the most I see on the updated menu were also in Shadowlands. Then again, I'm not the one experiencing image issues.

Not massively. There are the basic setup updates but when I think of updates, I think of something that has an effect on all. Dragonflight just streamlined more and moved some command codes into the menu as well. Just my own experience.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Make sure you've looked into your graphics settings, for me with a 3070 WoW had defaulted to graphics level 7 and no anti aliasing which did look bad.

Enabling anti aliasing and upping the graphics settings to max made a massive difference, added atmosphere, details, smoothness, and weather effects.

Not massively. There are the basic setup updates but when I think of updates, I think of something that has an effect on all. Dragonflight just streamlined more and moved some command codes into the menu as well. Just my own experience.
    Just because there's no immediately apparent visual changes doesn't mean there weren't massive engine updates. They've for example replaced the entire hardware interface layer part of the engine with their multi-game "Prism" library for everyone playing on DX11 (non-legacy) or on Mac and are in the process of doing the same to the DX12 pipeline, and that's just one example. There's a lot of stuff under the hood that's been getting pretty big updates every expansion and sometimes even during major patches.

My job as dataminer/someone who needs to work with WoW inside and out would be much easier if they didn't do any of those updates, though. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Marlamin View Post
    Just because there's no immediately apparent visual changes doesn't mean there weren't massive engine updates. They've for example replaced the entire hardware interface layer part of the engine with their multi-game "Prism" library for everyone playing on DX11 (non-legacy) or on Mac and are in the process of doing the same to the DX12 pipeline, and that's just one example. There's a lot of stuff under the hood that's been getting pretty big updates every expansion and sometimes even during major patches.

My job as dataminer/someone who needs to work with WoW inside and out would be much easier if they didn't do any of those updates, though. :P
    when are they adding DLSS

I'm having the opposite problem. Retail WoW looks....too crisp.

I've been playing Classic for 3 years now. In Classic I use the "classic" graphics settings (no changes!). In Retail, I max every graphics setting out. When I switch from Classic to Retail, my eyes see a game that doesn't even look like WoW anymore to me.

I've tried toning down some settings, but I think I've concluded that what I'm seeing is everything in the game (or at least nearly everything), is just a higher resolution now. Things like characters, armor, spells, and even the maps are no longer low res.

Things like increased draw distance is cool, but a mountain 3000 yards away shouldn't be as crisp and clear as a mountain right next to me.

I've always used Reshade.me. Just overall better using V4.9 for the Vibrancy, Colorfulness and Adaptive Sharpen

I had no idea WoW ever natively used a sharpening pass. 10.0 doesn't look any different to me.

Anyway, rather than running at 200% resolution, try turning on image sharpening with the overlay for your GPU. I know Nvidia supports it (GeForce experience) and AMD must too. Be careful, though. There's a fine line between adding perceptible detail to low resolution textures and oversharpening which adds artifacts. This is particularly noticeable on the in-game full-size map.

ReShade works too, and the Nvidia overlay actually lets you import and apply ReShade post-processing filters and such. I like using my GPU drivers for simplicity.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2022-11-28 at 04:25 PM.

180 FPS in raids and world bosses? I've read enough in the computer forums to call shenanigans on this claim.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinksocking View Post
    when are they adding DLSS
    Maybe not for a while as WoW was AMD sponsored, hence the FSR implementation
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
    Motherboard: X570 AORUS PRO
    Cooler: Corsair H150i Elite LCD XT 360mm AIO
    RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 @ 3600 MHZ
    SSD: WD BLACK SN850X 1TB PCI-E 4.0 M.2
    GPU: Powercolor Hellhound Radeon RX 7900 XTX

I think MSAA is causing it, I changed to CMAA 2 and it looks great.
    Last edited by Hiromant; 2022-12-01 at 08:05 AM.