Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Do you enjoy getting gear in pvp?

I am curious, I always saw gearing up in pvp as a hurdle I need to get over so I can start playing on even ground and climb rating
    But I wonder if other people feel or is there any satisfaction in getting gear?

I don't think so.

I think the satisfaction comes from getting an "unfair" gear advantage that allows you to roflstomp the still undergeared "nabs".

Most pvpers aren't in it for a fair fight 90% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Enclave View Post
    I am curious, I always saw gearing up in pvp as a hurdle I need to get over so I can start playing on even ground and climb rating
    Not more nor less than in PvE, honestly.
    In SL it was a bit double: On the one hand the relief that i didn't habe to replace it for very minor upgrades anymore, on the other "Yah i got it but now i need to upgrade it...".

Mind you that the upgradeable gear is a huge step up from previous iterations since the difficulty-bloat (LFR, nornal, heroic, mythic) started, but it's still not as satisfying as it was to just get an actual BiS without needing to contort your agenda and/or social investment.

I kinda wonder how it'll be in DF since it supposedly provides max ilvl in instanced content from the get-gi, should be interesting at the very least.
    Would put more emphasis on it being an actual sensible reward, making both looks and "overworld" performance that much more... reward-y.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    I don't think so.

I think the satisfaction comes from getting an "unfair" gear advantage that allows you to roflstomp the still undergeared "nabs".

lol everyone thinks they are normal. Its highly questionable if a majority even exists. PvP is played by people who want mounts, people who want gear from pvp for pve raiding, people who just get dragged in by friends. None of those care about that maxing out gear advantage to stomp noobs. The noobstompers are likely a fringe minority and maybe even lower than the people who want fair matches. The latter constantly asked for tournament servers cause they didnt want gear to matter but we got nah you not making us enough money.

Quote Originally Posted by mbit2 View Post
    lol everyone thinks they are normal. Its highly questionable if a majority even exists. PvP is played by people who want mounts, people who want gear from pvp for pve raiding, people who just get dragged in by friends. None of those care about that maxing out gear advantage to stomp noobs. The noobstompers are likely a fringe minority and maybe even lower than the people who want fair matches. The latter constantly asked for tournament servers cause they didnt want gear to matter but we got nah you not making us enough money.
    You are misunderstanding my point, but maybe I was also unclear.

Pvpers are a specific subset of people who play pvp. As you said, a lot of people play pvp for reasons what have nothing to do with wanting to pvp. I think that the subset of people who aren't in it for the roflstomping, gearing for PvP is more of a hurdle, not something they necessarily enjoy or do for fun either.

I enjoy getting gear. I do not enjog playing against people i can hardly beat because they have double my life despite plying the same class/spec...

Its weird. I think PvP should generally be completly seperate from any kind of pwer progression. On the other hand it is still an RPG so...
    I think rated should be completly equal.
    Unrated: Let there be hell!!!!

You are misunderstanding my point, but maybe I was also unclear.

Pvpers are a specific subset of people who play pvp. As you said, a lot of people play pvp for reasons what have nothing to do with wanting to pvp. I think that the subset of people who aren't in it for the roflstomping, gearing for PvP is more of a hurdle, not something they necessarily enjoy or do for fun either.
    What i was trying to say is pvpers are mostly just people with a goal playing pvp cause it gets them the goal and not people who really want pvp. The gear and mount incentive exist to attract the big crowd of people who have no intrinsic interest in pvp. So either way design doesnt follow what people who are into pvp want but what gets more players into pvp.

I love beating people with zero gear and then progressing higher and higher as my gear improves;
    I don't think I would (ranked)pvp if there was no gear progression...
    Plus it lets me get enough gear to crush any pve I want on that character

Yes I do, because wow is an RPG, there needs to be sense of character progression otherwise it turns into a lobby game and there are better lobby PvP games than WoW.

I don't think so.

I don't think the thread title was "what are your preconceptions about pvpers".

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    Yes I do, because wow is an RPG, there needs to be sense of character progression otherwise it turns into a lobby game and there are better lobby PvP games than WoW.
    There really isnt anything that would replace wow well which is why many tolerated so much of their bullshit or simply sidestepped it with botting / RMT. Since they have no interest in the gearing grind they simply automate or straight pay to skip it.

1+ Year Old Account
    I play PVP to beat people up, to crush them, to drive them before me and hear the lamentation of their healers. I don't care about rating, and gear is just the means to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    Which lobby game offers the experience of wow arena without all the rest? been looking for years

Red face

I mean... i stopped pvp'ing when they removed templates.
    So, yes i am someone who wants a fair match, but i know that is not what the WoW community wants. They want to 1 shot as much as possible. So, i leave this toxic mode to them and pvp on games where i can have fun. Grinding gear in pvp is dumb. PvP is not an RPG. It's just a gate you have to endure until you can start having fun. It's not my thing.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2022-11-28 at 05:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, pvp gear is such a stupid idea, and it's mostly been used as a supplement for easy PvE gearing,
    and it's mostly been all but useless in PvP since every "season" it's ilvl is upgraded, but if you already
    bought the gear previously, it'll mean you have to buy the same damn thing again just because of the
    ilvl increase, which...isn't fun. Like at all.

The game's PvP should be about teamwork and communication in order to win the BG's goal...but in no way
    shape or form, has WoW PvP ever been this.

It's always come down to which team has the better geared players. You either stomp them or you get stomped.
    Maybe once in awhile the teams are evenly balanced, but it's extremely rare.

As long as pvp gear exists and there is no scaling, PvP will always be a "who's got better gear" fest, which is
    horribly unfun and mostly what keeps people away from it.
    Last edited by ThatsOurEric; 2022-11-28 at 09:22 PM.

Nope, there should be no gear at all in any form of PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Nope, there should be no gear at all in any form of PvP.
    Exactly this, PvP should be about skill and rewards should be cosmetic only.

Which lobby game offers the experience of wow arena without all the rest? been looking for years
    None because it's a crappy format that only is being kept afloat because it's attached to a massive pve game.

WoW PvP is a niche content.

I don't think so.

Yeah, I constantly run into the same problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    No, pvp gear is such a stupid idea, and it's mostly been used as a supplement for easy PvE gearing,
    and it's mostly been all but useless in PvP since every "season" it's ilvl is upgraded, but if you already
    bought the gear previously, it'll mean you have to buy the same damn thing again just because of the
    ilvl increase, which...isn't fun. Like at all.

The game's PvP should be about teamwork and communication in order to win the BG's goal...but in no way
    shape or form, has WoW PvP ever been this.

It's always come down to which team has the better geared players. You either stomp them or you get stomped.
    Maybe once in awhile the teams are evenly balanced, but it's extremely rare.

As long as pvp gear exists and there is no scaling, PvP will always be a "who's got better gear" fest, which is
    horribly unfun and mostly what keeps people away from it.
    You can be few ilvls behind and still stomp. Good player will always be good within reason.
    -K