Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61669403

The teenage gunman accused of shooting 10 people dead in a supermarket in Buffalo, New York, last month has been charged with domestic terrorism.
    Finally, some appropriate charges for these kinds of attacks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

at least they didn't get him some Burger King on the taxpayer's dime like last time
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

10+ Year Old Account

What's domestic terrorism worth nowadays? 10 years and you're out?

Guys like him deserve nothing less than life in solitary or in the case they don't wanna die, the death penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    What's domestic terrorism worth nowadays? 10 years and you're out?

Guys like him deserve nothing less than life in solitary or in the case they don't wanna die, the death penalty.
    He will also face 10 separate first-degree murder charges.

The domestic terrorism charge filed on Wednesday accuses the suspect of killing "because of the perceived race and/or colour" of his victims.

In addition, the 25-count indictment includes multiple murder charges and attempted murder as hate crimes, as well as weapon possession charges, news agency AFP reports.
    Given the extensive list of charges, in addition to domestic terrorism, it's unlikely he'll leave prison alive. Not that he'll be killed, but that he'll die in prison as an old man.

10+ Year Old Account
    Given the extensive list of charges, in addition to domestic terrorism, it's unlikely he'll leave prison alive. Not that he'll be killed, but that he'll die in prison as an old man.
    Buffalo shooter pleads guilty to domestic terrorism motivated by hate and other charges

Payton Gendron, 19, will be subject to a mandatory life sentence for perpetrating what the FBI has called a case of racially motivated violent extremism. The shooting led to 10 first-degree murder charges and attempted murder as a hate crime as part of the 25-count indictment in state court.

He had been indicted on 25 charges. The domestic terrorism count carries life without parole — no maximum or minimum.

Gendron had initially pleaded not guilty, but attorneys for victims' families said earlier this month they had been informed that he planned to change his plea and waive his right to appeal.
    I do not know if this barely 18-year-old who got a weapon of war and shot up a school...shit, I got my mass murderers mixed up. I do not know if this barely 18-year-old who got a weapon of war and shot up a supermarket getting such a lengthy/deserved sentence will serve as a deterrent. Let's just say my hopes and my expectations are on different sides on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    will serve as a deterrent. Let's just say my hopes and my expectations are on different sides on this one.
    ha! it absolutely will not.

fyi the myth of prison being a "deterrent" is one invented by, believed by, and perpetuated by the kind of people who don't commit crime in the first place.
    nobody in the history of ever was to the point where they were willing and capable of committing a felony and went "wait you know what? nevermind, i might go to prison for this"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkiah View Post
    ha! it absolutely will not.
    I suspect not, also. Regardless of what reasonable people might think about prison, someone doesn't drive 200 miles to murder people solely based on their race because they're reasonable.

Considering that, even with pleading guilty, the domestic terrorism charge basically requires he serve the rest of his life in prison...I wonder what motivated him to change his plea. I guess theree could be a deal in place that grants more favourable conditions as to how and where he will spend the rest of his life in prison. But even after this, he still has federal charges pending...which could also end up with him getting a life sentence without parole or the death penalty.

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/28/11387...-state-charges

A sentencing has been scheduled for Feb 15, but Flynn said the judge will be required to sentence Gendron to life without parole for pleading guilty to the first-degree domestic terrorism charge.
    At the federal level, Gendron is facing additional charges, including 10 counts of hate crimes resulting in death and three counts of hate crimes involving an attempt to kill, along with 13 counts of using, carrying or discharging a firearm.

If convicted on all 27 federal charges, Gendron could face either the death penalty or a second sentence of life in prison without parole. The attorney general will decide at a later date on whether to seek the death penalty, according to the Justice Department.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    I wonder what motivated him to change his plea.
    You're probably right about the terms and conditions of his sentence. I'm...guessing he wouldn't be very popular in general population.

You're probably right about the terms and conditions of his sentence. I'm...guessing he wouldn't be very popular in general population.
    I also wonder what the order of operations is in regards to state and federal convictions. In both situations he's looking at least life in prison... and it's not like he can serve those sentences consecutively. So who gets the "honour" of hosting this scumbag for the rest of his life?
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    So who gets the "honour" of hosting this scumbag for the rest of his life?
    That's an excellent question. I would assume the feds, and I would assume the state would be okay with that -- the dude goes to jail forever and he's no longer their problem.

I suppose you could make the argument that, since NY now has him convicted, the feds could simply say "the statute of limitations is indefinite, we'll wait" and press charges the second he even attempts to find a way out of prison. It's not double jeopardy if its a different crime.

That's an excellent question. I would assume the feds, and I would assume the state would be okay with that -- the dude goes to jail forever and he's no longer their problem.

I suppose you could make the argument that, since NY now has him convicted, the feds could simply say "the statute of limitations is indefinite, we'll wait" and press charges the second he even attempts to find a way out of prison. It's not double jeopardy if its a different crime.
    Yeah, I guess i just think it would be somewhat amusing if the state cut a deal with him giving him all the terms he asked for...just because they knew it would all be moot when the Federal Charges come rolling in. The State gets an easy conviction without the cost of a long trial and it clears the way for the Federal Prosecutor to go for the Death penalty. Win/Win.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hate is not a mental illness. "Hate is taught. I have a two year old. Know what he hates? Naps."
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Hate is not a mental illness. "Hate is taught. I have a two year old. Know what he hates? Naps."
    Wrong, Nothing wrong with Hate it's a feeling and emotion that can happen whether you help it or not. Taking a gun to a Supermarket and killing innocent people IS A MENTAL ILLNESS!!

I hate A LOT of people never have I thought it was reasonable or logical to go seek out and find these people randomly or otherwise and kill them ever.

You only shoot and kill people who are actually a threat to you. Innocent people minding their own business, and living their lives aren't a threat.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Innocent people minding their own business, and living their lives aren't a threat.
    This can be debated. Inaction can be as much of a threat as action.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    This can be debated. Inaction can be as much of a threat as action.
    Ok. Inactive people minding their own business who are innocent civilians at the mall or grocery shopping are not threat. Better?

10+ Year Old Account
    Wrong, Nothing wrong with Hate it's a feeling and emotion that can happen whether you help it or not. Taking a gun to a Supermarket and killing innocent people IS A MENTAL ILLNESS!!
    Literally false on both levels. Hate is always a choice, and most mass shooters are not mentally ill.

https://www.columbiapsychiatry.org/n...urder-database
    https://www.columbiapsychiatry.org/n...ntal-illness-5
    https://journals.lww.com/hrpjournal/...ture_of.6.aspx
    https://www.apa.org/news/podcasts/sp...ispelling-myth

You're pushing disinformation which both pushes people to ignore actual motivations of mass shooters, and which unfairly stigmatizes people with mental health problems.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

I hate A LOT of people never have I thought it was reasonable or logical to go seek out and find these people randomly or otherwise and kill them ever.

You only shoot and kill people who are actually a threat to you. Innocent people minding their own business, and living their lives aren't a threat.
    What you're failing to realize is that the people who are committing these crimes? They believe that the people they are shooting ARE a threat to them. They've been taught that gay people, or brown people, or Jewish people are here actively plotting against them and their families. That God might wipe out their entire city, them included, for tolerating such people in their midst. That every black person is selling drugs to their kids while looking for white women to rape. Because that's what they are constantly being told is the truth.

They aren't insane, they legitimately believe that shooting these people is the only way to protect themselves and their families. They're wrong, but wrong isn't a mental illness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Literally false on both levels. Hate is always a choice, and most mass shooters are not mentally ill.

https://www.columbiapsychiatry.org/n...urder-database
    https://www.columbiapsychiatry.org/n...ntal-illness-5
    https://journals.lww.com/hrpjournal/...ture_of.6.aspx
    https://www.apa.org/news/podcasts/sp...ispelling-myth

You're pushing disinformation which both pushes people to ignore actual motivations of mass shooters, and which unfairly stigmatizes people with mental health problems.

No you’re wrong anyone who decides to mass shoot innocent people has a mental disorder.

I m not clicking on your misinterpreted bullshit links.

Normal people don’t go on homicidal rampages to kill people. Even if they hate them. If you hate people. You fucking avoid them like everyone else. Or use enough social skills to navigate around.

And if someone is a threat same deal. You don’t kill or injure people unless a threat. People shopping and minding their own business doesn’t qualify.

Now a person doesn’t have to all have the same mental disorders. But if your solution to a problem to problem is to murder people you should never be allowed outside unsupervised.

15+ Year Old Account

Wrong. School shootings have all been ultimately driven by hate for someone or something. In the last decade, so many of them have had anti Jew or anti black or anti woke manifestos.

It's hate.

When you're someone willing to give up your life for the chance to commit mass murder, I can see why you might classify that as a mental illness. And perhaps can be partially attributed to mental illness. But pretty much everyone with mental illness that is ready to give up their life just commits suicide. Hateful people take the chance to commit mass murder.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2022-11-30 at 12:21 AM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"