Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    What is "in IT"?

Networking gear/ servers/ Clusters / Cloud services such as AWS, Azure, etc. which can be scaled up and down with a few clicks.

From what I read Blizz uses a combination of AWS and its own servers.

10+ Year Old Account
    PTR is working at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suppose this is to be expected when they fire 70% of their QA team and closes EU offices. I'm so glad I didnt pre-order.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    Yes I'm sure a billion dollar company has no idea what they're doing when it comes to server infrastructure, and you "being in IT" could solve it all.
    I'm sure you with everyone else is having a great time posting here while of being denied what you paid for. Yes indeed, by design or sheer incapability, this is a failure.

Yes, I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    Its mildly annoying to see streamers white listed though I get why
    max has been lagged out for a good 15 minutes now.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    "Yes please Mr Blizzard compensate me for 13 minutes of down time."
    Back in ye olde days they'd give a free day of game time if the servers went down a few hours.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Izual45 View Post
    I'm sure you with everyone else is having a great time posting here instead of being denied what you paid for, Yes indeed, by design or sheer incapability this is a failure.

Yes, I can.
    I've not even purchased Dragonflight, so no loss my end.

Pretty much every single MMO game that launches (or launches an expansion) goes through these issues. It's pretty rare that things go smoothly. Blizzard have even posted in the past that there is no perfect solution for it.

Do I think it's fun that people can't play the game they've purchased? Of course not. However one has to be realistic.

Edit: Forgot a word.

I am stuck in the new zone can't get inside and lots of lag.

It was all going so smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Nights View Post
    It looks like its only problem in eu, i can see some streams from us working fine for them
    Nope. It's not working in the US either. Right now if you're not on the Dragon Isles, Zerith Mortis, Draenor, or Pandaria, you're screwed. Try to go to Dalaran on the Broken Isles, Ashram, or Orgimarr and it's "Transfer Aborted: instance not found."

Towliee is not able to get in either.

Yes I'm sure a billion dollar company has no idea what they're doing when it comes to server infrastructure, and you "being in IT" could solve it all.
    Well they are puzzingly bad at anticipating bottlenecks in their infrastructure for having done this for so long. Also in the last few xpacks they used to have an instanced scenario at the beginning to throttle the influx of players in the new continents, and they didn't do it this time around. Perhaps it's just lost institutional knowledge, like the online engineer that kept pestering them to do it this way is no longer there and designers went back to do what game designers do: not think about the technical challenges created by their design.

Zep/boats are especially bad because they do the exact opposite of instanced scenarios: they make sure that players are going to zone into the new continent simultaneously by entire boatloads, pun intended.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now I'm in. Started at the graveyard of the Wild Coast.

Quote Originally Posted by P for Pancetta View Post
    Back in ye olde days they'd give a free day of game time if the servers went down a few hours.
    well im sure we will get a nice apology on twitter instead this time

Pretty much every single game that launches (or launches an expansion) goes through these issues. It's pretty rare that things go smoothly. Blizzard have even posted in the past that there is no perfect solution for it.

Do I think it's fun that people can't play the game they've purchased? Of course not. However one has to be realistic.
    This is the cloud era, not your hardware servers. A company such as blizz coupled with AWS has the capability to increase and decrease its resources on a timeline of seconds. Hell, all of this is automatable based on traffic patterns.

In conclusion, yes Blizz isnt filled up with idiots but accomplished and well-trained guys, however, this practice of not anticipating high traffic on launch days and hiding behind the guise of "nothing is perfect", while raking in people's money is quite unethical.

Pretty much every single MMO game that launches (or launches an expansion) goes through these issues. It's pretty rare that things go smoothly. Blizzard have even posted in the past that there is no perfect solution for it.

Edit: Forgot a word.
    They do it cause it saves money and players defend it. In reverse a smooth launch would get kek nobody playing comments. Retarded players are the root cause of them doing it how it is.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPrincess View Post
    Well they are puzzingly bad at anticipating bottlenecks in their infrastructure for having done this for so long. Also in the last few xpacks they used to have an instanced scenario at the beginning to throttle the influx of players in the new continents, and they didn't do it this time around. Perhaps it's just lost institutional knowledge, like the online engineer that kept pestering them to do it this way is no longer there and designers went back to do what game designers do: not think about the technical challenges created by their design.

Zep/boats are especially bad because they do the exact opposite of instanced scenarios: they make sure that players are going to zone into the new continent simultaneously by entire boatloads, pun intended.
    That's quite interesting actually (the point about zep/boats and instanced scenarios). There are obviously dozens of things you need to keep track of when designing things like this.

Wrath classic launch was with zeps and boats and if I remember correctly (and if I don't someone will correct me hopefully) the zeppelin's didn't turn up for a while and they had to create portal NPC's.

Sweet, I'm at the Wild Coast.

Worst launch since WoD.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is the cloud era, not your hardware servers. A company such as blizz coupled with AWS has the capability to increase and decrease its resources on a timeline of seconds. Hell, all of this is automatable based on traffic patterns.

In conclusion, yes Blizz isnt filled up with idiots but accomplished and well-trained guys, however, this practice of not anticipating high traffic on launch days and hiding behind the guise of "nothing is perfect", while raking in people's money is quite unethical.
    Good explanation (and to clarify I'm not being sarcastic). If this is the way it goes nowadays, I wonder why Blizzard doesn't do it. Would it be a cost issue?

I can't imagine they actually want their launches to be bad so they get all this bad rep.

lmfao what do you think the 'cloud is'? It's all on "hardware servers". I work for Blizzard's hardware vendor, I have helped run firmware updates on their hardware. 'The cloud' is not some ephemeral magic place where you don't have to worry about hardware lol. WoW runs on a cluster of 14th Gen Dell Blades running ESXi 7.0u3.

What is happening isn't a hardware problem. It's not a matter of needing to allocate more hardware in anticipation of high traffic. This is a software issue.