Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Caprias View Post
    Quite a bit more believable than your sorry ass burner account.
    lol, why are you so angry? get over yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Izual45 View Post
    Yeah your source is still as shitty as your explanation. Tell us more about Blizz inside secrets, are the servers running on diesel generators??
    I'm not an inside. I'm a mid-level server wonk whose job brings me into professional contact with some of the Blizzard datacenter guys, and as a WoW player the topic of what they're running on piqued my interest.

But again, you don't have to have inside knowledge to know this isn't a hardware problem. It doesn't take a rocket scientist, or an IT person, to understand enough to see the symptoms aren't indicative of 'WoW is running on cheap hardware' or 'WoW is being too cheap to run on AWS' or whatever else is being talked about here.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicAnomaly22 View Post
    Source: trust me bro
    I will be honest, they seem to be the most level headed and knowledgable I have seen in awhile, I am inclined to believe them.

World server boss has stopped me from playing on Zul'jin-US so far. Guess it's one of those launches. I had issues with Shadowlands but little to none with Legion and BFA, but I don't remember world server being down.

Oh well, prolly gonna play tomorrow instead. Got Darktide to help me wait in the meantime.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Echeyakee View Post
    Loading everyone on an airship was a bad idea.
    Very much. I wouldn't be surprised to learn there's more going on also, but for a certainty at least the issue of being stuck at the docks with "unknown arrival time" being above the dockmasters head has to make someone in Blizz think 'you know, maybe we should stick to the Legion model of an intro scenario plus branching destination choices'.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    [img]https://i.imgur.com/drqgSRO.png[img]

I long for the days of infinitely stacking gyrocopters.
    Give a warning next time before you post such things, god.

Every time I go to quest in MoP I feel a chill down my spine because of this.

I just need one glyph to be done for my goal for the day . . . come on world server, don't croak on me now

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by P for Pancetta View Post
    Back in ye olde days they'd give a free day of game time if the servers went down a few hours.
    Pretty much. Any old player can just check their sub log and see how many free days they got from servers going down for even an hour or two. Expecting a free day for this is not in any way entitled.

Had no problems at all up to now kind. Got almost to lvl 64 (2 bars left) and now when i press something nothing happend in game.

Quote Originally Posted by Monteverdi View Post
    I'm not an inside. I'm a mid-level server wonk whose job brings me into professional contact with some of the Blizzard datacenter guys, and as a WoW player the topic of what they're running on piqued my interest.

But again, you don't have to have inside knowledge to know this isn't a hardware problem. It doesn't take a rocket scientist, or an IT person, to understand enough to see the symptoms aren't indicative of 'WoW is running on cheap hardware' or 'WoW is being too cheap to run on AWS' or whatever else is being talked about here.

Its not a software problem either. Its a design problem, a poorly planned and executed launch day problem. In one expansion ( can't recall the name) they fixed by creating layers of servers, in other they created scenarios.

Just a few minutes ago, the portal vanished. They took it away to potentially stop people from trying to get in so they can fix stuff. Again this should have been a foresight before launch. One really cant hide behind some excuse for 9th expansion and say "Oh we never thought this could happen"

Its unethical shit that so many silver knights here defend with zero logic as if they will get rewarded somehow.

Its not a software problem either. Its a design problem, a poorly planned and executed launch day problem. In one expansion ( can't recall the name) they fixed by creating layers of servers, in other they created scenarios.

Just a few minutes ago, the portal vanished. They took it away to potentially stop people from trying to get in so they can fix stuff. Again this should have been a foresight before launch. One really cant hide behind some excuse for 9th expansion and say "Oh we never thought this could happen"

Its unethical shit that so many silver knights here defend with zero logic as if they will get rewarded somehow.
    Software/Design, same problem. When I say 'software problem' I mean *their* software that they design and implement. I dunno if it's poorly designed, or if there's a bug, because based on the symptoms it could certainly be either or both, but either way the symptoms don't point to a hardware fault or a hardware bottleneck.

As far as it being 'unethical shit' that hyperbole AF but I get the frustration. This was definitely a swing and a miss and you can bet that some guys at Blizz are having an unpleasant night unfortunately.

Yall better hurry up and log in, I've already gotten 3 levels from questing.

Funny it says World Server Down, then I go to Twitch and find all the top raiding guilds questing through the Xpac without incident. World Server misleads people. It should read, YOUR SERVER IS DOWN, and not the world

Quote Originally Posted by Nystromia View Post
    Funny it says World Server Down, then I go to Twitch and find all the top raiding guilds questing through the Xpac without incident. World Server misleads people. It should read, YOUR SERVER IS DOWN, and not the world
    Yeah 'World Server' is the overworld zones, as opposed to 'Instance Server' which is BGs, Dungeons, etc. I can see where the name would be misleading to people.

Quote Originally Posted by Monteverdi View Post
    Software/Design, same problem. When I say 'software problem' I mean *their* software that they design and implement. I dunno if it's poorly designed, or if there's a bug, because based on the symptoms it could certainly be either or both, but either way the symptoms don't point to a hardware fault or a hardware bottleneck.

As far as it being 'unethical shit' that hyperbole AF but I get the frustration. This was definitely a swing and a miss and you can bet that some guys at Blizz are having an unpleasant night unfortunately.

Software is 1s and 0s that go through rigorous Quality control before it's in production.

Design is on paper before that software is implemented.

A company is not limited to possessing only X number of servers, in terms of hardware.

In a world where your SOHO startups are making use of Cloud, one would be extremely foolish to think a megacorp such as blizz is still operating mostly on physical servers and taking up sweet expenses of operation, location, technical expertise, cable management, security, extra servers for redundancy when all of these responsibilities can be handed off.

Call it what it is, a bad execution.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibiki View Post
    Old style, small indie company...
    Yeah, because having practically your entire player base gather into a single zone is surely not bound to give problems. The servers aren't made to hold their entire in a single section of the world. It's supposed to hold them spread out in the world.

Tell me: what do you think would happen to a cargo ship if you put the whole cargo on the very edge of the left side of the ship? Do you think the ship will still be stable?

Software is 1s and 0s that go through rigorous Quality control before it's in production.

Design is on paper before that software is implemented.
    Sure but the point here is, the current problems are such that it could be either or both of these things.

In a world where your SOHO startups are making use of Cloud, one would be extremely foolish to think a megacorp such as blizz is still operating mostly on physical servers and taking up sweet expenses of operation, location, technical expertise, cable management, security, extra servers for redundancy when all of these responsibilities can be handed off.
    This is just not how it works at all. First of all, there's no such thing as running software like this and it *not* being on a physical server. AWS is on physical servers. How do you think these things operate? The difference is, Blizz owns their own hardware and has their own teams of Enterprise IT folks to run it versus outsourcing that to an external provider. This isn't a bad thing, and is pretty standard for many companies large enough to do so. Forgive me, I'm not trying to be rude, but your premise here is quite flawed and just happens to touch my field of expertise which I get a little "well, actually..." about. My apologies

Call it what it is, a bad execution.
    100% agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Yeah, because having practically your entire player base gather into a single zone is surely not bound to give problems. The servers aren't made to hold their entire in a single section of the world. It's supposed to hold them spread out in the world.

Tell me: what do you think would happen to a cargo ship if you put the whole cargo on the very edge of the left side of the ship? Do you think the ship will still be stable?
    Ikr, just because they have been doing this for almost 20 years and every 2 years the same rush of people happen doesn't mean they should be ready now....

Sure but the point here is, the current problems are such that it could be either or both of these things.
    Amazing logic...

This is just not how it works at all. First of all, there's no such thing as running software like this and it *not* being on a physical server. AWS is on physical servers. How do you think these things operate? The difference is, Blizz owns their own hardware and has their own teams of Enterprise IT folks to run it versus outsourcing that to an external provider. This isn't a bad thing, and is pretty standard for many companies large enough to do so. Forgive me, I'm not trying to be rude, but your premise here is quite flawed and just happens to touch my field of expertise which I get a little "well, actually..." about. My apologies
    Oh damn my bad...I thought you just had to plug in a wire somewhere in the cloud for all that computing power... at least that's what my AWS cert taught me...

Sarcasm aside, what you are talking about is a dying practice. It carries heavy capital investment to purchase all that gear only to refresh it again in 2-3 years and then rely on staff with 24/7 duty.

Wish you could use more logic and actual modern solutions available for use in your arguments.

Amazing logic...

Oh damn my bad...I thought you just had to plug in a wire somewhere in the cloud for all that computing power... at least that's what my AWS cert taught me...

Sarcasm aside, what you are talking about is a dying practice. It carries heavy capital investment to purchase all that gear only to refresh it again in 2-3 years and then rely on staff with 24/7 duty.

Wish you could use more logic and actual modern solutions available for use in your arguments.
    See... now you're getting nasty. "What you are talking about is a dying practice" this just simply isn't true. Providers like AWS are great for companies that don't have the budget for their own infrastructure and management, but for larger companies who need more defined control or have more specific needs, operating their own infrastructure is far from a dying practice. This is my field, and it is flourishing, I promise you. You are spouting popular nonsense that sounds great in a sales brochure or in an article from some trendy tech mag, but just isn't the reality of the world we live in.

In any case, this is now *wildly* off topic and before the mods step in, I'm going to say (quite sincerely, I might add) have a great night and I will endeavor to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Lochton View Post
    I was hoping for a smooth launch like Shadowlands but still nothing to complain about overall for me.
    LOL. Blizz was having server issues for days after SL launched. You can still read the blue post they put out at least 2 days after SL launched. "Smooth launch," thats a good one.