Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Dragonriding is destroying exploration

I really like the system itself, but I feel like it was a major mistake putting it at the start of the expansion. I'm flying through entire zones in a matter of seconds, basically just jumping around from quest marker to quest marker and ignoring the world itself. The feeling of exploring a new continent has completely vanished for me, as I'm not slowly uncovering the map and finding interesting places anymore. I'm dashing from one place to the next at breakneck speed, not caring what is in between them at all.

The system also makes the new areas feel small as hell. I've already seen the entire expansion in like 20 minutes by collecting the glyphs. And now I can just go from one end to the other in 2 minutes. There's zero sense of scale. It almost feels like playing a few small new patch zones.

The gameplay itself feels amazing, but I would've prefered just having ground mounts and then getting dragonriding for each zone at the end. They barely feel like actual zones to me, as it's like I'm teleporting around and skipping everything instead of actually exploring.
    Last edited by Masternap; 2022-11-29 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Masternap View Post
    I'm dashing from one place to the next at breakneck speed, not caring what is in between them at all.
    If you don't care what's in between, you don't care about exploration - why complain then that you don't get to explore?
    If you care about exploration, just use ground mount, with the exception of places which can be only reached with flying.

This community consistently reminds me over and over again that it deserved shadowlands…if you want to explore, it gives you -or Atleast for me- more reason too. It’s not only easy to get around but the zones are massive and moving around them genuinely fun asf. Just because you’re not forced to do something now doesn’t mean that aspect of the game is ruined for everyone else.

They barely feel like actual zones to me, as it's like I'm teleporting around and skipping everything instead of actually exploring.
    That is a You-problem, not a Game-problem.

Your mistake is in assuming that exploration is exclusively a ground-activity.
    And flying is optional.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

Hopefully Pathfinder will come in next patch so you can use regular mounts in Dragon Isles. Not sure why people are SO opposed to it.

The previous expansions didn't have flying and there was no valueable "exploration" whatsoever. All you had was slower travelling, while also having more scenic background noise (although the world looks nice too if you are flying).

So IMO this entire argument against flying that some sense of exploration is being lost is just straight up not true, because it didn't even exist when we didn't have flying. Every single "interesting" place in legion, bfa and sl was a place you would go to anyways because it was either part of the main story or it had side quests. With dragonriding, none of that changes.

I really like the system itself, but I feel like it was a major mistake putting it at the start of the expansion. I'm flying through entire zones in a matter of seconds, basically just jumping around from quest marker to quest marker and ignoring the world itself. The feeling of exploring a new continent has completely vanished for me, as I'm not slowly uncovering the map and finding interesting places anymore. I'm dashing from one place to the next at breakneck speed, not caring what is in between them at all.

The system also makes the new areas feel small as hell. I've already seen the entire expansion in like 20 minutes by collecting the glyphs. And now I can just go from one end to the other in 2 minutes. There's zero sense of scale. It almost feels like playing a few small new patch zones.

The gameplay itself feels amazing, but I would've prefered just having ground mounts and then getting dragonriding for each zone at the end. They barely feel like actual zones to me, as it's like I'm teleporting around and skipping everything instead of actually exploring.
    If you want to explore, get on your ground mount and explore. or just fly your dragon slowly and explore while your vigor recharges.

So you complain about the feature, but you use said feature and even try to min-max the feature by collecting the glyphs? Why are you like this?

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not playing the expansion, but is the new island not catered to flying in mind? Cos I have always been fine with flying in WoW as long as the world has flying in mind and you are not just flying in open space.

There should be the same experience flying as you would have on a ground mount.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

I haven't played yet but do you get dragonriding right at the start when you enter the isles?

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I haven't played yet but do you get dragonriding right at the start when you enter the isles?
    Very early on.

As i found out myself, by making me do something instead of being optional will only result in me hating that stuff. If i want to explore i will explore.
    I hated torghast so much at beginning of SL that i just gave up on leveling my legendary and quit the game after 3 months. And last month when i resubbed i started doing Torghast again just to waste some time until Dragonflight releases and i really enjoyed it.
    Last edited by Soimu; 2022-11-29 at 10:25 AM.

This sounds like a you problem. You can use the dragon as a ground mount if you want or just use ground mount and dragon to fly only when you need to…if you’re skipping and not exploring that’s your problem

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe halfway through the first zone

You unlock it (account-wide) when you complete the first chapter of the first zone by turning in a simple quest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not stopping me from exploring on the ground, or in the sky.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    That's like saying I don't go the beautiful parks I have to explore on foot in my area because I use the car to go around them and then blaming the existence of cars for it... If I want to go to those parks I just... go there... The fact that an alternative exists doesn't change anything.

Some days wow players bitch about an invisible gun on their head and Blizz makes them do stuff

Other times they pine to be forced to do anything and everything

"I don't care about what's in between"

Jep, that's a you problem.

I am massively enjoying exploration with dragonflight

And flying at patch x.0 is, or flying at patch x.2 is.

There will always be people who dislike a system.

But i do agree with the speed of it. I think they should have gated it a bit more. Its freaking to fast. It takes away some of the exploring. But its a choice not to use it.
    I would say next time they use this. Make it so you need to get a achievement or finnish the main story quest of the zone before getting to fly there. or something like that.