Character selection screen background

Hi all,

something has been bugging me for years and its the backgrounds on the character selection screen. It is mostly because they don't match the fantasy of the character - in example i have a BE rogue and i would like her to appear deadly and mysterious which is kind of hard because she is on a gold/pink terrace on a sunny day. Or my Draenei shaman (which should look primal and in tune with the elements) that just shouldn't be aboard a pink spaceship. Lots of combos to complain about, but mostly it's dark characters like warlocks and rogues that don't feel at home (for me).

The idea is that you can change the background of the character via a left-right toggle on the selection screen. It could go a lot of ways:

1.0 Change background to another race of your faction (unlocked by default or maybe reaching exalted status with the wanted faction) - requires absolutely no work by the developers (i.e. my BE rogue switches to Undead background)

2.0 Unlock various expansion factions backgrounds on exalted status (i.e. my human mage changes to a Boralus city background somewhere on the docks or my paladin to an Argent Tournament background) - uses existing modeled spaces, so not a lot of work i would think

3.0 Toggle day/night on all backgrounds

I'm sure there can be a lot more to add to this system and would like to hear your ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Justzed View Post
    I'm sure there can be a lot more to add to this system and would like to hear your ideas.
    I am fine with the way it is, the background due to the race rather than class.

Personally, I do not spend enough time at the character screen to care. I would probably leave it at the default race theme even if they did add something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, it is such a minor thing that I don't really take care to notice it.

Though, I'd welcome a toggle ability to select a different background for the main screen but still within the topic/theme of the current expansion.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    if it's an option why not. otherwise it's a bad idea, because those kinds of replacements is what contributed to make the game worse. if you replace it means you don't like something, and if you replace everything at the end you go from blue to yellow and you might as well rename the game.

I don't see it as a major issue, but I guess it would make it better, so why not
    MMO Champs :

Quote Originally Posted by Lochton View Post
    Eh, it is such a minor thing that I don't really take care to notice it.

Though, I'd welcome a toggle ability to select a different background for the main screen but still within the topic/theme of the current expansion.
    They could do it like DCUO: your character have a default background depending on your origin, but you also have a selection option on the corner of the screen that let's you pick the background for that character.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I love the backgrounds, but I would love for the poses to be a bit more heroic!

Like how they do the animations in the creation-mode

If it were up to me, the background would match whichever zone the character logged out in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Highlord Hanibuhl View Post
    I love the backgrounds, but I would love for the poses to be a bit more heroic!

Like how they do the animations in the creation-mode
    Adding to this: NPC animations and poses should be added as emotes. I said what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Justzed View Post
    Hi all,

something has been bugging me for years and its the backgrounds on the character selection screen. It is mostly because they don't match the fantasy of the character - in example i have a BE rogue and i would like her to appear deadly and mysterious which is kind of hard because she is on a gold/pink terrace on a sunny day. Or my Draenei shaman (which should look primal and in tune with the elements) that just shouldn't be aboard a pink spaceship. Lots of combos to complain about, but mostly it's dark characters like warlocks and rogues that don't feel at home (for me).

The idea is that you can change the background of the character via a left-right toggle on the selection screen. It could go a lot of ways:

1.0 Change background to another race of your faction (unlocked by default or maybe reaching exalted status with the wanted faction) - requires absolutely no work by the developers (i.e. my BE rogue switches to Undead background)

2.0 Unlock various expansion factions backgrounds on exalted status (i.e. my human mage changes to a Boralus city background somewhere on the docks or my paladin to an Argent Tournament background) - uses existing modeled spaces, so not a lot of work i would think

3.0 Toggle day/night on all backgrounds

I am sure they will soon come in the blizzard store for just 19.99$.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    If it were up to me, the background would match whichever zone the character logged out in.

- - - Updated - - -

Adding to this: NPC animations and poses should be added as emotes. I said what I said.
    Yeah like the 'lean and look tough' pose