Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    I have a feeling she'll be killed, but her people aren't the final villains and may become our allies in the future.

It took a lot for Alezstraza to even confront Deathwing and Malygos with the resolve to take their lives. I wonder if some part of her knows the primalists aren't in the wrong but are going about things poorly. I think she'd prefer if both their ways could coexist
    Yeah, I got the feeling she wasn't giving her all as well. She doesn't want to kill her, she wants to live in peace with them so I think she held back because of that.
    Karma always has the last laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Honeyprime View Post
    Yeah, I got the feeling she wasn't giving her all as well. She doesn't want to kill her, she wants to live in peace with them so I think she held back because of that.
    I figure that's fairly obvious, what with her getting all despondent after Raszy chews her out.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Still anecdotal, but usually dragon speech in their dragon forms is usually loud a guttural, not as clean sounding as human common.
    I'm just saying I can't find anything that says dragons are canonically telepathic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    I'm at work, I don't have time to find a Wrathgate questline video, find that moment, and link it to you. Take my word for it, or don't.
    I just watched the Wrathgate cinematic again. Alexstrasza doesn't talk in the whole cutscene. She shows up with some dragons, burns everything, then peaces out.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    I'm just saying I can't find anything that says dragons are canonically telepathic.

- - - Updated - - -

I just watched the Wrathgate cinematic again. Alexstrasza doesn't talk in the whole cutscene. She shows up with some dragons, burns everything, then peaces out.
    "Questline" did you notice that part of their message?
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

And after she has a discussion with Krasus (iirc) in draconic about Bolvar. But that's in game text that wasn't voiced.

Alexstrasza uses telepathy on us at the end of Wrathgate, after the dragons have burned everything and she's enforced her Calm on the area.
    https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Ret...rathar_(Horde)
    Korialstrasz says: My Queen, do they know?
    Alexstrasza the Life-Binder says: No, my beloved.
    Alexstrasza the Life-Binder says: [Draconic] Ashj zila gul kirasath lok ante il lok buras danashj Gul gul
    Korialstrasz nods.
    Korialstrasz says: They will not.
    Alexstrasza whispers: Come to me, <name>.
    "Telepathy".

Like, think about this for a second:
    Alex and Korialstrasz clearly have a secretive conservation the player can hear, they even swap to another language so the player doesn't understand what's going on, then Alexstrasza swaps over to "Telepathy" to tell us to come over.

If Alex and Korialstrasz are capable of telepathy, there would be 0 need for conversation between them.
    And the "telepathy" part literally says "whispers".

Whether Dragons are capable of Telepathy is one thing, but in the past, they either talked normally to the player or whispered like a lot of Npc's were capable.

Telepathy has, as far as i know, only used by creatures that are far away from the Player (example: Old Gods) or being not capable of speaking our tongue (example: Faceless ones or Naaru).

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium

- - - Updated - - -

It's after the cutscene.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Ret...rathar_(Horde)

"Telepathy".

Like, think about this for a second:
    Alex and Korialstrasz clearly have a secretive conservation the player can hear, they even swap to another language so the player doesn't understand what's going on, then Alexstrasza swaps over to "Telepathy" to tell us to come over.

If Alex and Korialstrasz are capable of telepathy, there would be 0 need for conversation between them.
    And the "telepathy" part literally says "whispers".

Whether Dragons are capable of Telepathy is one thing, but in the past, they either talked normally to the player or whispered like a lot of Npc's were capable.

Telepathy has, as far as i know, only used by creatures that are far away from the Player (example: Old Gods) or being not capable of speaking our tongue (example: Faceless ones or Naaru).
    How else do you propose she 'whispered' to you from so far away? Through some magical means. Whether that's genuine telepathy, or just something that approximates it, the point is clear: dragons don't need to flap their jaws to talk while in dragon form, and can even do it from far away.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    being not capable of speaking our tongue (example: Faceless ones or Naaru).
    It could be argued that while they know our language, dragons are unable to physically produce the necessary sounds to speak it while they're in dragon form. And so they substitute with a form of telepathy. Or maybe they can do both, but sometimes telepathy is just easier.

It's also entirely possible that the kind of telepathy they're using has different modes, including ones that simply broadcast for all to hear, and ones that only talk to specific individuals.

I mean, it sounds like a contrivance either way because it is, kinda, but it's not like you couldn't explain away the various ways we see them talk

How on earth you gonna lose to another dragon who only has 2 limbs

How else do you propose she 'whispered' to you from so far away? Through some magical means.
    How has any NPC ever whispered to you despite not standing directly next to you?

They just do it because it would be far too contriving for them standing within your ear's reach, especially because the act of whispering is also quite noticeable by other characters, which then also would have to be addressed and entails a bunch of other issues that need to be addressed.

Alexstrasza is far from the first character in WoW that whispers to you from location where it's pretty much physically impossible and there you can certainly outrule "Telepathy" as an explanation.
    the point is clear: dragons don't need to flap their jaws to talk while in dragon form, and can even do it from far away.
    Funny, i need to explain how Alexstrasza whispers to you from yards away, but you don't feel the urge to explain why they're articulating a conversation clearly not meant for you.
    Or any other time when a dragon was either speaking or yelling, rather than telepatically speaking to us.

Look, here's the main reason why they are doing it right and i'd be surprised to be first one to point this out:
    They cannot lip sync english words on a dragon, so they just don't and aren't moving their mouths at all.

Boom, simple as that, that's why it never came up, because they rarely had actual cinematics where they had a clear face shot of a dragon who was speaking.
    So, rather than embracing your inner Danuser and act as if the obvious retcon has been actually hinted at for years when it clearly wasn't, just accept it as a modern invention due to modern problems and move on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    "Questline" did you notice that part of their message?
    You're really going to try and say quest text is telepathy? You can't be serious lmao

- - - Updated - - -

It's after the cutscene.

How else do you propose she 'whispered' to you from so far away? Through some magical means. Whether that's genuine telepathy, or just something that approximates it, the point is clear: dragons don't need to flap their jaws to talk while in dragon form, and can even do it from far away.
    Not it absolutely isn't. And Kralljin pointed out exactly why it isn't telepathy. The fact that you are treating quest text that doesn't even mention telepathy as if it actually IS telepathy is asinine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    You're really going to try and say quest text is telepathy? You can't be serious lmao

- - - Updated - - -

Not it absolutely isn't. And Kralljin pointed out exactly why it isn't telepathy. The fact that you are treating quest text that doesn't even mention telepathy as if it actually IS telepathy is asinine.
    Alright, so what's your explanation? Alexstrasza is communicating with you, the player, and only you the player, from far away. Please, explain how this works in your own words.

EDIT: Typo.
    Last edited by The Stormbringer; 2022-11-29 at 08:26 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    How on earth you gonna lose to another dragon who only has 2 limbs
    While Alex was free she got so many manicures that her claws can’t get through dragon scale. The other flights kept telling her that she needs to tone down the jewellery but the reds kept telling her to “slay Queen” so she didn’t.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Alright, so what's your explanation? Alexstrasza is communicating with you, the player, and only you the player, from far away. Please, explain how this works in your own words.

EDIT: Typo.
    Game mechanics=/= lore. What you're describing is purely game mechanics. Again, I can't find anything stating that dragons are canonically telepathic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Game mechanics=/= lore. What you're describing is purely game mechanics. Again, I can't find anything stating that dragons are canonically telepathic.
    It doesn't have to be psychic telepathy. The point I'm trying to make is that these beings of vast power and magical ability not moving their jaws when they talk isn't a hard sell. There could be a dozen different ways they accomplish it. It doesn't matter. It's unimportant. There's nothing wrong with their mouths not moving during the cinematic.

7+ Year Old Account
    So they gotta kill a person every single cinematic i guess?
    No, all they have to do is not write and unnecessary drama scene where the villain gives their monologue only to let the assaulted character live simply because the plot demands it.

Razs has done that twice now.

And the last few years we've had an avalanche of such scenes.
    "Oh, i bested you and you are currently in the weaker position? I shall ignore that and just tell you how evil i am and how dead you will be later when i finish my master plan, that you totally won't stop because i made the mistake of letting you live that one time."

Formerly known as Arafal

It doesn't have to be psychic telepathy. The point I'm trying to make is that these beings of vast power and magical ability not moving their jaws when they talk isn't a hard sell. There could be a dozen different ways they accomplish it. It doesn't matter. It's unimportant. There's nothing wrong with their mouths not moving during the cinematic.
    ....So you're just going to defend Blizzard being lazy no matter what? Because them not moving their mouths at all while speaking just looks stupid. And I'm not willing to say it's telepathy either. It's just Blizzard being lazy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    No, all they have to do is not write and unnecessary drama scene where the villain gives their monologue only to let the assaulted character live simply because the plot demands it.

"Oh, i bested you and you are currently in the weaker position? I shall ignore that and just tell you how evil i am and how dead you will be later when i finish my master plan, that you totally won't stop because i made the mistake of letting you live that one time."
    Yeah I think Blizzard story writers have watched too many James Bond movies.

I hate postmodern writing so much. Villains can't be evil anymore. They have to be "humanized" now, and the hero isn't allowed to just kill the villain, instead they just sit there and allow themselves to be guilt tripped for some reason. It's trashy soap opera.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skirdus View Post
    ...Am I the only one who feels like these newer cutscenes just don't have the same sort of impact as some of the older ones?

Take Wrathgate for example. By the end of that, one character had died, another character's fate was left ambiguous, and the forsaken's betrayal from within was revealed, leading to the Battle for the Undercity event.

Now this. Alexstrasza and Raszageth fought, the former lost, Wrathion showed up, and then Razsageth just... left? What ultimately happened by the end of the cinematic? Nothing of importance, it feels like.
    Same thing happened with GW2's cutscenes. Once upon a time, you got epic cutscenes of an island-sized dragon falling into the ocean. Nowadays you get pre-rendered cutscenes of people bitching about how exceptional they are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arikara View Post
    the point of this cinematic is really just to introduce the villain for any who did not see her in the evoker starting area. Even so; it perhaps ought have done something more.
    Could have introduced her by having her fly to Dalaran and crash it. Would've given the players motivation to slay her and would have established her as a threat. Or have her kill Kalecgos or something.

- - - Updated - - -

never heard of telepathy?
    This isn't Pokemon, GW2, or Final Fantasy XIV. Dragons do not use telepathy in Warcraft.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    Also why the fudge are their mouths closed when talking?
    Because rigging a dragon for facial animation is too much work, apparently.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    So... the story is not looking that bright is it?.

I actually think that Raszageth had a good start as a villian, with good motives and an understandable stand when it comes to standing against he players - betrayal and imprisonment. But instead of building upon that, it does sound they are gonna make her a hatred filled jackass, that would enjoy torturing people because she finds it fun...

I hope it goes better for her brothers and sisters when they are freed.
    Why does a dragon need to have the same motivations as petty millennial writers? Why can't a dragon just be a rawr dragon?

- - - Updated - - -

Dragons cannonically have telepathy, have since i think vanilla, its detailed a bit in some of the books.
    I don't recall that ever happening in the War of the Ancients trilogy or in Day of the Dragon, the four Warcraft novels that featured a prominent dragon character among the heroes.

- - - Updated - - -

The real issue is that the writer's room is full of people who have never written a book and don't know what they are doing. They went to university (which doesn't teach you how to be a good storyteller) and then found themselves with a job making $25,000. They're being paid nothing. Writers are paid almost nothing in Hollywood and the games industry and that's why the stories of American audio-visual entertainment suck. Writers that are actually good are too busy doing what they want to do and publishing books.

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    With mouths that large their speech would be forced to be so slow as to be incomprehensible, akin to whale calls.

So i suspect we're hearing a "dubbed" version of their dialogue that would otherwise just be "Roar! Roar? Rawr!".

Alternatively wind and order magics to speak.
    Or telepathy.
    Lfol what?

Almost as if there was a film that handled this same situation very well.

7+ Year Old Account

Reminder the lich king did that literally multiple times per zone in wotlk, he literally has the chance to kill you several times but keeps saying "i will let you live, for now..."
    Perfect examplebeing the end of the zulgurub dungeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good