Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New to PvE, how do I get into GDKP raids?

New to PvE, I just hit 80 recently and got dungeon gear, I want to get into GDKP raiding

Joining a raiding guild is not really an option because of my irregular IRL schedule

I don't have enough gold to buy items and don't have enough gear to carry, where do I start?

Keep questing. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but there's thousands of gold left in the remaining quests in Northrend when you finish leveling.

Edit: Reach out to GDKP organizers to find out their costs too. Currently, in Naxx, our starting price is 150g with 50g bid increments. I've made and won 150g with bids. You could easily start with 1,000g and be quite happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Enclave View Post
    I don't have enough gold to buy items and don't have enough gear to carry, where do I start?
    I agree with what Hastag said, keep questing.

Tho before you try to go for GDKP stuff (I find the concept weird), I think you should look up what's your pre-raid BiS set is. Spam dungeons for reputation/emblems and quests/reputation until you get your pre-raid BiS set. Using the gold you have to pick up a few things like the Valor bracers, Greatness trinket maybe one or two Naxx BoE's should easily get you into the 3.9k GS range. That's enough to be picked up by 75% of PuG raids unless you're playing something like DPS Warrior or Ret Paladin (unfortunately gimped).

3+ Year Old Account
    Prepare your wallet and sign up for any of those raids.

New to PvE, I just hit 80 recently and got dungeon gear, I want to get into GDKP raiding

Joining a raiding guild is not really an option because of my irregular IRL schedule

You should look into investing in the AH. Use your money to make money, once you get it rolling, you will regularly have income rolling in. Once you have enough play money, keeping enough to keep the AH money rolling, then do GDKP stuff. You can start messing with the AH with only a few thousand gold and make decent returns. That or you can farm ore or herbs. Crafting is the way to go.

why do you feel that you need to gdkp, especially since you don't have gold or gear (you need to have one of those in a gdkp, but I would also argue that you'll perform fine with just dungeon blues and a handful of dungeon/badge purples, even in 25 man)

theres plenty of ms > os groups.

you also don't have to play on a megaserver. i play on bloodsail buccaneers, an rp server, and we do sarth 3 drakes on both 10 man and 25 man as well as all the other farm content. people here usually fight on refusing gear rather than wanting gear because they don't want to hurt someone else's feelings or appear to be a loot goblin. theres a number of pugs usually in lfg/raid finder filling for raids.

Its like saying: I want to have this Porsche with automatic gears because i don't want to do anything but get to the end as fast as possible.... but i have only enough to afford a bike with permanently pressed brakes...

Obviously money.
    There is no other place to start for you and no other thing you need. Literally. You don't really care about the raid itself otherwise you would look for a beginner pug which exist or start a group yourself.

1. Get more gold from quests/dungeons/AH flipping.
    2. Obtain pre-bis gear from HCs and emblems and then join 10mans. Try to make in-game freinds here.
    3. Join PUGs with SR MS>OS. 'but nobody wants me in!' is an absolute myth. Show yourself that you know atleast basic 'i am trying' by having correct enchants and gems. Personally seeing single empty gem slot is automatic deny.
    4. Join your server discord to check activities here.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Check your servers discords and make sure you read the rules correctly.

Most GDKPs take 10% off the top immediately, and others as much as 15%. Granted in most of these cases 5% in either scenario is dolled out to healers/tanks, organizers or other incentive based things (dispels, damage, mind controls, etc). That part's not nearly as important as the actual lines regarding ways they can exclude you from a cut. Generally most GDKPs will take your cut away if you do really poor damage (like grey parsing every encounter), you cause wipes (pretty hard to do), or you don't buy anything that's clearly an upgrade and let things go to rot.

Think of your character as an investment. As long as you have 10-15k gold, most GDKPs are going to take you if you're freshly geared and fill a specific role. 10-15k might seem like a lot, but doing quests post 80 allows you to obtain gold pretty quickly, and dailies aren't bad gold either. Once you get in once, it sort of snow balls from there and you shouldn't have a lot of problems getting in beyond that. The only way you can get around this is if you have so much gold on a badly geared character that most organizers will slap a buyer tag on you, expect you to spend a lot of gold and in some cases not pay you out.

If you spend a few days haphazardly doing dungeons, buying really cheap BoEs on the AH, buying badge gear and AFKing in WG you should approach a level where you do decent damage in any GDKP to avoid being penalized. Use the first couple GDKPs to buy min bid gear. You'll probably end up with 5-6 items that might not necessarily be your BiS items, but good enough that you earn your keep and get paid out. You might not be gaining a lot of gold at this point, but eventually you will.

Once you're in and you find one you like, most will tend to take regulars over newer players (usually). You'll hit a gear treadmill where you get a massive amount of loot early, then slowly start acquiring large sums of gold as you work your way towards the really good items most people are dropping tons of gold on. Most GDKPs don't care about your character being powerful, they care whether or not you're going to be buying anything at all. A freshly geared character with zero gems, enchants and leveling blues/greens is expected to buy anything that's an upgrade for them. If you go in and buy nothing you won't get a cut. Just expect to get very little gold the first two weeks from your GDKPs, as you would be expected to buy anything that's an upgrade.

7+ Year Old Account

GDKP raids are an alternative for raiding with pugs or with guilds, but they are not an "easier" alternative, cause instead of requiring your time investment, it requires you the ability to utilize the economy of WoW to a much larger extent than normal.

Im not quite sure if you say that you don't have the time to raid or just don't have the schedule to do it, but no matter, this will require time if you don't want to invest real-money into it. You need to find a way to make atleast 5k gold, if you want to gear up using GDKP. If you don't want to do the things needed to get al ot of gold, then i don't think GDKPs are that much better of an alternative to joining a raiding guild.

My suggestion would be one of the following things:

1: Find a way to make lots of gold(10.000s of gold), spend most of your player time on this and then spend 1-2 hours a week getting carried in GDKPs with the gold to buy all the gear you need.

2: Just start raiding in the off-hours. There are many raids being set up around the clock, even some who are just looking for members to clear naxx-10 to get badges. Furthermore, if you are a role, that can do something unique(Shamy, priest, healer in general), there are also some raids who don't mind carrying a bit if you just do your role. This will require some gearing in dungeons, but should not be that hard.

3: You can also just find a social raiding guild, who raids every single day. This should open the options you have for raiding and there are again some guilds out there, who are just happy to be raiding and talking with people, no matter how well geared they are I just did a raid with a guild 2 weeks ago, where they had 3 fresh lvl 80 players, who they just carried for the fun of it There are also some guilds, who are looking for people to join Ulduar and are again ready to help whoever is ready to join

So there are plenty of options out there, not just GDKPs
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hastag Help View Post
    Keep questing. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but there's thousands of gold left in the remaining quests in Northrend when you finish leveling.

Edit: Reach out to GDKP organizers to find out their costs too. Currently, in Naxx, our starting price is 150g with 50g bid increments. I've made and won 150g with bids. You could easily start with 1,000g and be quite happy.
    What realm are you on? :O on Firemaw every item is bare minimum 1000g
    • Diablo Immortal is the most misunderstood and underrated game of all time!
    • Blizzard, please, give us some end-game focused Classic servers, where you start at max level!
    • Serious Completionist: 100% OW Achievements, 100% D3 Achievements, 90% Immortal Achievements, 99% ATT Classic, ~90% ATT Retail

Im sorry to tell you, but either you grind proffesions like a madman or.. buy gold. Buying gold is what keeps these GDKPs going.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    What realm are you on? :O on Firemaw every item is bare minimum 1000g
    What? O.o Thats an insane amount, how far out is the economy on Firemaw? :O
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gehennas is the same. The two megaservers have inflated economies as there is much more gold in the system. 10k is poor on these servers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    What? O.o Thats an insane amount, how far out is the economy on Firemaw? :O
    Yeah, unless you bring 30k or so for a GDKP you are pretty much screwed. Big items always go for 15-30k still.
    • Diablo Immortal is the most misunderstood and underrated game of all time!
    • Blizzard, please, give us some end-game focused Classic servers, where you start at max level!
    • Serious Completionist: 100% OW Achievements, 100% D3 Achievements, 90% Immortal Achievements, 99% ATT Classic, ~90% ATT Retail

I prefer the SR with a MS -> OS +1 stystem personally.

At least a 2 SR for naxx25

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    Yeah, unless you bring 30k or so for a GDKP you are pretty much screwed. Big items always go for 15-30k still.
    That is crazy :O On Pyrewood Village EU, the most i have seen something go for is 4,5 k, and that was a 226 drop O.o

Wait until P2 then you can farm 10 man gear from heroics and 25 man gear from naxx 10. There will be a lot of guilds recruiting as soon as people hit a hardmode wall in Ulduar and the guilds start falling apart. You can befriend several guilds and get on their benches and raid when it works for you.

Start goldbuying and buy your way out? I guess....?

/s

All seriousness, It is easily clearable with blues gears/fewer greens. Lmao
    Last edited by trapmaster; 2022-12-02 at 02:20 AM.

Naxxramas is incredibly easy. I regularly join random groups in group finder and I don't get inspected or anything. Just do that. GDKP is for suckers right now.