Poll: Which leveling is better?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't matter for me on main (I complete every single quest on fresh expac). On alts fast leveling is godsend.

It's absolutely way too fast, but sadly that's what most people seem to want these days, everything must be faster, instant etc. with no attention spans.

And I agree that on alts it should be fast, as that can get more tedious doing a slow leveling for the 10th time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Me and my buddy just got to Azure Span and we are both level 69 and leveling war mode. Way too fast, would of proffered to hit 70 as we get closer to finishing the last zone. Regardless, still will do all quests for rep and achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by Garymorilix View Post
    1) When was this exaclty? Vanilla? Literally everything after that was end-game focused.
    To be fair this focus on leveling that Vanilla had carried over to TBC and Wrath since the 1-60 leveling was still largely the same (even if it was faster).

Quote Originally Posted by Garymorilix View Post
    2) Yes, it is your ignorance. There is no connection between leveling and popularity. WotLK was the expansion with the most players AND it was also the first expansion with heirlooms to speed up leveling for people (and also major XP nerfs to have a faster leveling by default).
    Leveling 1-80 in Wrath still took you several days of /played. If you're quick you can do 1-70 on live in under a day easy. I did 1-60 in 6 hours in the prepatch. "Wrath leveling faster" doesn't mean "people hate leveling" but rather "people thought Vanilla and TBC leveling was too slow". Plus, overall, the total time from start to max in all of Classic stayed roughly the same.

I don't really think leveling is too fast as the story doesn't end when leveling does anymore, but I wouldn't mind if leveling was slightly more in focus either. Overall I'm fine with it as it is, but I'd rather have it (slightly) slower than faster.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Northelim View Post
    Me and my buddy just got to Azure Span and we are both level 69 and leveling war mode. Way too fast, would of proffered to hit 70 as we get closer to finishing the last zone. Regardless, still will do all quests for rep and achievements.
    Obviously the leveling process is balanaced around skipping all side quests basically, and also not being on war mode. I wouldn't mind if the side quests were involved a bit, such as some form of "complete 10 side quests/gain 1000 rep" before you can start the next zone, as it does feel kinda pointless to do sidequests at max level.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lixo View Post
    It's absolutely way too fast, but sadly that's what most people seem to want these days, everything must be faster, instant etc. with no attention spans.

And I agree that on alts it should be fast, as that can get more tedious doing a slow leveling for the 10th time.
    Don't blame this on the players, blame it on the devs. They want people to experience the content they worked so hard on, and that content is endgame. They've (correctly) put most of their focus on the endgame and they want to lose as few players as possible before they reach it.

Definitely feels quicker and in a good way. I didn't feel like SL levelling was that quick tbh, getting my alts to 60 felt like a slog so I used xp boosts and Timewalking for most of them. I feel like DF levelling is in a sweet spot, I felt like SL was a slog.

Quick quests, good mob respawn rates, good drop rates. I think this is a better leveling experience than WotLK classic but also end game is so much more in retail vs classic so i think it makes sense that its 10x faster.

If you want to enjoy the story and zones you can take your time but if you are a sweat lord leveling 5 alts in first two days its easy and relaxing. I'm already 353 ilvl on my warrior and already considering leveling a 2nd alt. Professions can literally level you from 68 to 70 in minutes if you are willing to spend the gold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

Obviously the leveling process is balanaced around skipping all side quests basically, and also not being on war mode. I wouldn't mind if the side quests were involved a bit, such as some form of "complete 10 side quests/gain 1000 rep" before you can start the next zone, as it does feel kinda pointless to do sidequests at max level.
    That's incorrect - there are plenty of reasons to side quest at max level and that is mainly for faction rep/renown. Questing is beneficial both during leveling and at end game.

I fully quested in Ohnaran Planes and managed to hit level 9 renown which is quite high considering max is in the mid 20s. Unlocked lots of stuff and have access to a mount reward questline now. Whether I got that during leveling or max, doesn't matter. The fact is, there are plenty of rewards to be had by doing side stuff.

If your max level and doing side quests you also get more properly itemized gear as opposed during the leveling process. If you need some extra item level for dungeons it helps.

And then there is also gold

Quote Originally Posted by Northelim View Post
    That's incorrect - there are plenty of reasons to side quest at max level and that is mainly for faction rep/renown. Questing is beneficial both during leveling and at end game.

I fully quested in Ohnaran Planes and managed to hit level 9 renown which is quite high considering max is in the mid 20s. Unlocked lots of stuff and have access to a mount reward questline now. Whether I got that during leveling or max, doesn't matter. The fact is, there are plenty of rewards to be had by doing side stuff.

If your max level and doing side quests you also get more properly itemized gear as opposed during the leveling process. If you need some extra item level for dungeons it helps.

And then there is also gold
    Nothing's incorrect about it. It's an opinion.

What is a fact however is that there's less reason to do quests at max level than there is while still leveling. The gear is just shy of worthless, and you're weaker at max so it even takes more time. What you're talking about is just that there's REASON to do it beyond exp, which is also a fact, but as the exp is no longer there it has objectively less reason to be done than before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, this post got a lot of attention over night.

I like that I'm seeing both sides to the argument. Does anyone think the leveling has to change due to the lack of content/zones? I know WOTLK had 9(10) zones for leveling while the last 2 expansion have only had 4.
    Selling myself out below

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grahamington View Post
    Hey friends.

So I am curious what everyone thinks about the new leveling the last few expansions have had. Does leveling feel too fast?
    After playing WOTLK classic, it reminded me how much leveling was a part of the expansion where it would take about a week to 80 instead of the 6 hours it takes some people to hit level cap on Dragonflight.

Do you like the fast leveling or do you wish it was a little longer of a process?
    As someone who leveled from 60 to 70 in the original WotLK in about 6 hours, the leveling seems about the same to me in DF. There were players getting worlds firsts in around 5 hours during the original release of WotLK.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    As someone who leveled from 60 to 70 in the original WotLK in about 6 hours, the leveling seems about the same to me in DF. There were players getting worlds firsts in around 5 hours during the original release of WotLK.
    There were a lot of things that confused me here. WOTLK was 70-80 and I'm sorry, but I refuse to believe you got from 70-80 in original WOTLK in 6 hours because I'm pretty sure the world first 80 was a few days after launch.
    Selling myself out below

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    The difference between SL and DF levelling is huge. I enjoyed DF levelling so much more than SL.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    The difference between SL and DF levelling is huge. I enjoyed DF levelling so much more than SL.
    To be fair, SL was also some of the worst leveling we've had in modern WoW The campaign was absolute class A garbage, and the only redeeming thing about Threads of Fate was that it, well, wasn't the campaign.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey friends.

So I am curious what everyone thinks about the new leveling the last few expansions have had. Does leveling feel too fast?
    After playing WOTLK classic, it reminded me how much leveling was a part of the expansion where it would take about a week to 80 instead of the 6 hours it takes some people to hit level cap on Dragonflight.

Do you like the fast leveling or do you wish it was a little longer of a process?
    I do not miss the old days or want them to go too fast. The smoothness is there now, and the execution it is just the journey that needs stretching.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lochton View Post
    I do not miss the old days or want them to go too fast. The smoothness is there now, and the execution it is just the journey that needs stretching.
    Fair call. Do you think the dev's have become a little "lazy" as the last 2 expansions only had 4 leveling zones? I know the older expansions had way more zones. Maybe that is more what I'm missing?
    Selling myself out below

Fair call. Do you think the dev's have become a little "lazy" as the last 2 expansions only had 4 leveling zones? I know the older expansions had way more zones. Maybe that is more what I'm missing?
    But those zones were also much less developed. Depending on how far back you go, they're in fact pretty empty and barebones in a lot of cases. So I guess the question is, do you just want more zones, or do you care that those zones actually have good/enough content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Zone-wise and design? No, not even close. The zones in Dragonflight are massive, and they are gorgeously made. The problem I see is, that some people become overwhelmed about there actually being made things that would be a good idea to complete, and others rush ahead and realize, "oops, I can't do much at LVL 67 after only having done the main storyline". Part of what makes leveling feel so fast is that questing, ever since Mists of Pandaria, has been feeling smoother and smoother, it would be feeling even way faster if we could at free choice, select a zone, but that is a gift for our alts.

Leveling as well feels like a breeze because the Dragonriding option covers ground so much faster, which most likely was part of the incentive to make the zones so much bigger. If they keep the pattern as they do now and just either reduce XP to fit in better or for future content, add a higher level cap, then I feel like it is the best recipe for a long time.

The problem with reducing experience gain now is that people know how it feels, people believe it is all good to get to 67 just by doing the storyline and if reduced, they would suddenly realize that they are, with the word so many complaints love to use, "forced" to do things they do not wish to do. Sadly, we have so many people who wish to rush the content with as little involvement as possible so they can get on the gearing train for raiding, PvP, or M+, and many of these soon after start complaining about having nothing to do. It is a hard thing to balance correctly. Make the leveling too long, and it is an issue, too short, issue as well.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

No, leveling can never be too fast, I love how fast it is to level I can get 2-3 levels in a 2-hour gaming session that is good time IMO. If I dungeon spammed I'd be leveling even faster. I HATE, HATE, HAAAAATTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEE How long it takes to level in Classic, especially without the dungeon finder to spam. It takes way too damn long to level in Wrath it's a slog, I had all the alts in WOTLK originally when I played, but now it just takes too damn long to level, and I don't know that I will ever have a 2nd 80.

Hey friends.

yeah a bit. not much. But feels like i have a buff/hierloom or something on ( i have not). And a lot of xp in 1 zone with all the side quests...i am 65 and just left first zone :S

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lochton View Post
    Zone-wise and design? No, not even close. The zones in Dragonflight are massive, and they are gorgeously made. The problem I see is, that some people become overwhelmed about there actually being made things that would be a good idea to complete, and others rush ahead and realize, "oops, I can't do much at LVL 67 after only having done the main storyline". Part of what makes leveling feel so fast is that questing, ever since Mists of Pandaria, has been feeling smoother and smoother, it would be feeling even way faster if we could at free choice, select a zone, but that is a gift for our alts.

Leveling as well feels like a breeze because the Dragonriding option covers ground so much faster, which most likely was part of the incentive to make the zones so much bigger. If they keep the pattern as they do now and just either reduce XP to fit in better or for future content, add a higher level cap, then I feel like it is the best recipe for a long time.

The problem with reducing experience gain now is that people know how it feels, people believe it is all good to get to 67 just by doing the storyline and if reduced, they would suddenly realize that they are, with the word so many complaints love to use, "forced" to do things they do not wish to do. Sadly, we have so many people who wish to rush the content with as little involvement as possible so they can get on the gearing train for raiding, PvP, or M+, and many of these soon after start complaining about having nothing to do. It is a hard thing to balance correctly. Make the leveling too long, and it is an issue, too short, issue as well.
    This is perfectly said actually. I think I like a longer levelling process because that always seems like the most enjoyable part. This may just be a me issue, but the end game content has felt a little stale. Lots of people loved the leveling in WOD and BFA, but the end game was so shit, the game got hit pretty hard with sub losses, so my mind set has been... "Well people seem to enjoy the leveling, don't make it vanilla pain, but maybe stretch it a little longer so people are not getting so burnt on end game content too quickly"

Side note, they should bring back WOTLK style rep grinds where you can wear a tabard into dungeons to gain rep. Actually gave me a reason to run dungeons even when I didn't need the gear.
    Selling myself out below