Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    A real cyberpunk firearms fan would have a Maeteba Model 6 Unica (arguably the most awesome revolver ever produced):
    That or a replica of Deckard's gun from Blade Runner. That one inspires respect regardless of who has it.

This fake, plastic looking Human Revolution knockoff is anything but cool. To say nothing of the diet coke, ew.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Well for me it’s the fact I know he has the best private security money can buy, but the poser ass fake hipster gun and hand cannon with Washington crossing the Deleware is the most disturbing.

I mean why would he sleep with those things by his bed. Does he think he’s George fucking Washington or some shit.
    He's a man in his 50's so it make sense thinks he needs to show how "tough" he is. The man is addicted to getting attention, I mean it's obvious he's lost it because this only appeals to the people already cheering for him. He isn't going to sell more Teslas or get advertisers back on the platform with this picture, frankly this entire saga feels like a billionaire late mid life crisis.

Musk made nice with Cook. I was hoping for an all-out corporate war.

A lot of large company official accounts have stopped posting on Twitter. Likely because they are trying to stay away from controversies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post

A lot of large company official accounts have stopped posting on Twitter. Likely because they are trying to stay away from controversies.
    Pretty much Cook pulled Musk to the side at his HQ, told him how the game is really played/how if Cook wanted they could bury him, he needs to sit down/shut up but Apple will play nice if Musk quits acting like a tool and Musk bent the knee.
    Last edited by akris15; 2022-12-01 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post

Apparently yes, but now Elon has stirred the pot and Zuckerbot has joined the game: https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/ma...l?guccounter=1

I imagine the meeting went along the lines of, "Who the fuck do you think you are, you little shit? Do you want to go to war with fucking Apple you stupid fuck? I don't give a shit about your stupid rockets or your one-lane tunnel, you ingrate. Shut the fuck up and keep our name out of your god-damned mouth when you're trolling for attention. Now take a few videos around the campus and smile for the camera to put this behind us or we'll have security drag you and your stupid fucking sink you brought with you out of the building. I'm motherfucking Tim Apple."

EXCLUSIVE: Elon Musk has used Twitter polls to justify moves such as reinstating Trump’s account, but employees tell Rolling Stone the social network’s surveys are magnets for bots. They’re literally designed to be spammed and gamed.

There’s just one problem, multiple former Twitter employees say. The social network’s polls are magnets for bots and other inauthentic accounts. They’re literally designed to be spammed and gamed.
    Not shocking and many of us on this thread stated or knew this. Bots drove the poll that Trump one "only" by 51% and I posted that when it closed from 38% to 48% for "No" keeping him off the platform, Musk replied and agreed with someone it was bots. Yes, the irony.

So not breaking news, but the person who cried about Twitter bots, used them for a poll, which was bs, since he was reinstating Trump no matter what. Also the other poll where he gave amnesty to pretty much everyone else. This is the same bs of what Musk and others thought that people inside Twitter were calling the shots, the same thing here is happening.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    EXCLUSIVE: Elon Musk has used Twitter polls to justify moves such as reinstating Trump’s account, but employees tell Rolling Stone the social network’s surveys are magnets for bots. They’re literally designed to be spammed and gamed.

Not shocking and many of us on this thread stated or knew this. Bots drove the poll that Trump one "only" by 51% and I posted that when it closed from 38% to 48% for "No" keeping him off the platform, Musk replied and agreed with someone it was bots. Yes, the irony.

So not breaking news, but the person who cried about Twitter bots, used them for a poll, which was bs, since he was reinstating Trump no matter what. Also the other poll where he gave amnesty to pretty much everyone else. This is the same bs of what Musk and others thought that people inside Twitter were calling the shots, the same thing here is happening.
    I mean, who cares?

Its his company and can so whatever he wants with it bots or not. If the poll was rigged kinda doesnt matter tbh

Wait, do you mean Elon is putting out bad-faith polls knowing of the platforms bot-problems, which he's seemingly taken little action to resolve, because he was fairly certain the bots would deliver the results he wanted?

Man, I'm beginning to think maybe Elon is operating in bad faith or something!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    I mean, who cares?
    About the conclusion or the bot manipulation? Nobody, really.

About it highlighting Elon's incompetence and hypocrisy? A lot, because it's hilarious. It's that tweet about like watching the Titanic sink, but the iceberg is also a person and is getting very mad we're laughing about it all.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    There’s just one problem, multiple former Twitter employees say. The social network’s polls are magnets for bots and other inauthentic accounts. They’re literally designed to be spammed and gamed.

I wonder if that's the only way Twitter can make any money (and even then not profit) - by having the "controversial" tweeters pushing out their lies and BS to ramp up the mssging and get more ad revenue.

This is the same bs of what Musk and others thought that people inside Twitter were calling the shots, the same thing here is happening.
    But people like Musk have no problem with single people pulling the strings and deciding things according to their whims. Just not the "wrong" people.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I wonder if that's the only way Twitter can make any money (and even then not profit) - by having the "controversial" tweeters pushing out their lies and BS to ramp up the mssging and get more ad revenue.
    I mean we have to be honest the best of Twitter in relevancy was when President Trump was tweeting up a shitstorm. Even I admit that Twitter kept him on cause it was good for business, plus he was President. Now, Musk wants him for the same purpose. Of course in my opinion Elon has a right and I would say leaning into right-wing beliefs, so he wants all of them on the platform.

The irony is with this article and we will see come out more is I bet bot activity has increased significantly with many purchasing $8 certified.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I mean we have to be honest the best of Twitter in relevancy was when President Trump was tweeting up a shitstorm. Even I admit that Twitter kept him on cause it was good for business, plus he was President. Now, Musk wants him for the same purpose. Of course in my opinion Elon has a right and I would say leaning into right-wing beliefs, so he wants all of them on the platform.

The irony is with this article and we will see come out more is I bet bot activity has increased significantly with many purchasing $8 certified.
    No doubt. And his idiocy in this matter and drive to make a buck is literally going to make the world worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    I mean, who cares?

Its his company and can so whatever he wants with it bots or not. If the poll was rigged kinda doesnt matter tbh
    There's two arguments that are being made, here.

First, there were the arguments made by Musk et al about Youtube's supposed infringing on people's freedom of speech. This was a lie. It was basically like claiming your neighbour's dog has been shitting on your lawn, and your neighbour's position is "he's crazy; I don't even HAVE a dog".

Next, there are the arguments about whether Musk is now legally entitled to do shitty things. To continue the simile, it's like going out on your lawn, picking up a nice steaming fresh dog turd, and rubbing it all over your face before seeing how many licks it takes to get to the nutty center. Everyone's else's response varies beyond shocked hilarity at the crazy asshole eating dog shit, to questioning the man's sanity and whether he needs help. If you're talking about whether he's legally permitted to eat the dog shit on his own property, you're completely (and seemingly intentionally) missing the entire goddamn point.

The two arguments seem to get conflated on the basis that they're both "about dog shit", but that's not really what's happening, and they're both aspects of the same crazy shithead.

No doubt. And his idiocy in this matter and drive to make a buck is literally going to make the world worse.
    Trump drove engagement on twitter but it didn't drive profits, it's the same thing happening now just because people are watching the plane crash doesn't mean you can sell them souvenirs.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Trump drove engagement on twitter but it didn't drive profits, it's the same thing happening now just because people are watching the plane crash doesn't mean you can sell them souvenirs.
    I thought activity and engagement drove advertising revenue.

I thought activity and engagement drove advertising revenue.
    Not when it involves racism and bigotry like Trump, what company would want their ad next to Trump's tweet about Asians, Mexicans or "the gays".

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Not when it involves racism and bigotry like Trump, what company would want their ad next to Trump's tweet about Asians, Mexicans or "the gays".
    Agreed. But can the ad buyers dial it in that directly? Can they buy their ad time/placement based on who is tweeting/etc?

Agreed. But can the ad buyers dial it in that directly? Can they buy their ad time/placement based on who is tweeting/etc?
    They had a lot of issues moderating that which is why they kept hiring you know the thing Elon just gutted so much that the platform is just on auto pilot. When it comes down to it Twitter's not worth it, google and other social media platforms have higher user base and better ROI. Let's also keep in mind that Elon just got a warning from EU regulators, it's not like the US they will straight out ban Twitter if he doesn't get his house in order. If Facebook had to bend the knee to EU regulators twitter doesn't stand a prayer.

I don't have a huge amount of knowledge of custom ad-delivery (not my job, but I work with folks that handle some of that) and while platforms are different, I imagine Twitter does have tools to ensure that advertisers can have more targeted ads that are/aren't shown to specific groups for an additional cost.

Which doesn't really change much, since advertisers like safety, predictability, and consistency: Three things that Elon has tossed out the door since taking over Twitter.

And with the reports we're seeing on the rise of hate speech - even if Elon wants to claim that those posts aren't showing (doesn't matter, they exist on the platform and that's enough to deter advertisers) - it's doubly obvious. It's kinda the same reason that when you go to 4chin you're not exactly seeing the highest dollar ads on the site despite it having multiple boards for absolutely normal, non-controversial, not-gross stuff (at least in theory, don't ask me how those boards play out in reality). Because advertisers don't want to be on that site. Period.

They had a lot of issues moderating that which is why they kept hiring you know the thing Elon just gutted so much that the platform is just on auto pilot. When it comes down to it Twitter's not worth it, google and other social media platforms have higher user base and better ROI. Let's also keep in mind that Elon just got a warning from EU regulators, it's not like the US they will straight out ban Twitter if he doesn't get his house in order. If Facebook had to bend the knee to EU regulators twitter doesn't stand a prayer.
    ROI on advertising is hard to quantify. However, according to a survey released in November 2021 and conducted among B2B and B2C marketers in the United States, Australia, Canada, Germany, United Kingdom, France, and Japan, 21 percent of respondents said that Facebook was the social media platform with the highest return on investment (ROI) that year. Instagram ranked second with 18 percent of respondents, followed by LinkedIn with 14 percent. TikTok ranked fourth with 12 percent, while YouTube ranked fifth with 11 percent.

Advertising revenue is based of monetized Daily Active User (mDAU) and revenue per mDAU. Data from 2019 indicates that Twitter revenue per mDAU per quarter in the US was over $5. According to this person in Q2 2022 it went down to $1.65. Musk current antics drove engagement up; however, they also drove advertisers away. So, what is it now? No idea.

For comparison, Facebook 2020 average revenue per user (ARPU) per quarter was $39.63 in North America (US & Canada), $12.41 in Europe, $3.67 in Asia-Pacific and $2.22 in the rest of the world.

Found updated data for Facebook. Peaked in Q4 2021, $60.57 in North America (US & Canada), $19.68 in Europe, $4.98 in Asia-Pacific and $3.43 in the rest of the world. Went down since then. Q3 2022 $49.13 in North America (US & Canada), $14.23 in Europe, $4.42 in Asia-Pacific and $3.21 in the rest of the world.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2022-12-02 at 12:10 AM.