Poll: What should happen to Dragonriding?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    1+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard is most definitely NOT going to revamp all previous mounts with animations for Dragonriding, like get fucking real!

Also, it's most definitely NOT going to enforce Dragonriding in all previous expansions areas because that will make all older flying mounts unusable.

There are only 2 options here:
    1. Dragonriding is just a Dragonflight expansion feature, same as Torghast, and it will stay in the Dragonflight areas.
    2. Dragonriding becomes an option alongside regular flying, that offers faster flying but requires a more active control of the mount.

If you ask me, I think option 1 is the most likely to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirtyrock View Post
    1) We could just...live with some zones not being as friendly to dragonriding as others
    You obviously never played Wrath at release.

If they could let us use Soar in the old world, they could let a version of dragonriding in and we could just live with some zones not being dragonriding friendly. Old flight would still be available for those who want it.
    You're comparing Apple Computers with Apple the Fruit. Two different things. And you're clearly insane if you think they're going to enable something that mimics racial ability for everyone like that. If you want Soar in the old world, you know how to get it. Roll a Dracthyr

As for the desire to backport systems, for me it would make exploring a lot of the old content more fun because dragonriding is actually engaging while flying is AFK time. Sure, I COULD fly while engaged and explore that way, but I don't enjoy it. It's just a way to get from point A to point B quickly. I don't want them to have to do a ton of work to allow it, but if they could implement soar, I don't see how it would be a ton of work...I'm not a developer, though.
    There's not "old content" to explore like that. It's either already accessible/explorable via regular flight or, like Legion-Shadowlands, you can explore via ground as well.

I strongly think the game is at its best, particularly in war mode, when there is no flying at all. If there absolutely has to be flying, I prefer the lazy option of the old system. Might as well just have both and let people use whichever they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Might as well just have both and let people use whichever they want.
    You can't have both 'no flying' and 'flying' - because that means designing two completely separate expansions each time.

The best thing about the dragonflying system is that it isn't just flying - you have to be engaged with it, that means it is also game play.

As long as you can't AFK or auto on it - then it will be better than the old school AFK version of flying.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Dragon riding should be available anywhere you can normally fly and it should be added to some old mounts. Not really fussed about what happens to flying one way or the other because I'd never use it again if dragonflying was available everywhere

Dragonriding should become the standard going forward. Retroactively working it in, especially with other mounts, would be a tall order. Sure I'd love it, but I'm realistic.

But to set a new standard? Abso-freaking-lutely.

This is how flying should have been but we can't change the past. It took a lot of time and engineering to get here and it shows. It's thrilling when you want it to be and functional when it should be. You can master it or just dip your toes in it and not feel like you need the blinding speed, but oh, it's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynical Asshole View Post
    Blizzard is most definitely NOT going to revamp all previous mounts with animations for Dragonriding, like get fucking real!
    They don't need to, the dragon riding mechanics can work without those animations. Yes, it would look stupid, but for most mounts this ship has already sailed. They could add specific animations over time to select mounts where it would make sense and be a cheap win due to sharing the same animation sets among many mounts, dragons being an obvious candidate.

Also, it's most definitely NOT going to enforce Dragonriding in all previous expansions areas because that will make all older flying mounts unusable.

There are only 2 options here:
    1. Dragonriding is just a Dragonflight expansion feature, same as Torghast, and it will stay in the Dragonflight areas.
    2. Dragonriding becomes an option alongside regular flying, that offers faster flying but requires a more active control of the mount.

If you ask me, I think option 1 is the most likely to happen.
    1. Devs have suggested on multiple levels that they are willing to move their systems forward, into new expansions and also expand it all over the game.

2. Dragonriding had surely been a technological challange for devs, it required stupid amounts of resources and since they want to get as far away from cannibalising their own content, it’s almost guaranteed that Dragonriding will be available in Azeroth. Soar already is, so no issue about some sort of „compatibility”.

It’s probably Dragonriding + regular flying mounts option. Otherwise it’s wasted resources.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DechCJC View Post
    2 will happen, you can quote me on that. Most mounts will be able to dragon ride optionally anywhere.
    idd would be strange having whole shoop of mounts and half current content where you cant use them properly :P

"Hope for the best and prepare for the worst"

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    2 and I think Soar should extend to Druids and Demon Hunters
    I cannot stress this enough.. DH should have Soar. Druids flight form could easily adapt this system.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    The only thing it lacks is AFK mode, fine control will come with practice.
    You just ascend and glide to your destination - when dragonriding is used like that it's really not that different. Afk hover should never have been a thing with regular flying, it's just too dumb and should prompt logout instead.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Eosia View Post
    You obviously never played Wrath at release.

You're comparing Apple Computers with Apple the Fruit. Two different things. And you're clearly insane if you think they're going to enable something that mimics racial ability for everyone like that. If you want Soar in the old world, you know how to get it. Roll a Dracthyr

There's not "old content" to explore like that. It's either already accessible/explorable via regular flight or, like Legion-Shadowlands, you can explore via ground as well.
    I did not play wrath at release. I started sometime during Naxx and dinged near the end of Ulduar. Could you expand on what I'm missing from that experience?

My point is that the content could be explored in a new way, just like when they added flying in Cata. You have offered no compelling reason why this wouldn't work from a technical standpoint. You've made a case that some people might not ENJOY dragonriding in the old zones, but not that it is technically impossible.

If Soar can be allowed, why can a toned down version of Dragonriding NOT be allowed, let's say a new talent tree that we have access to after Dragonflight is over that is more similar to Soar. The fact that other classes have to mount is enough of a distinction especially since Evokers would still have access to the traditional dragonriding IN ADDITION to Soar.

I'm literally telling you that I would enjoy having dragonriding in old content and you're telling me, in different words, that I wouldn't enjoy it because I can already fly around on an old school flying mount. Ok, you think the experience wouldn't be great unless they overhauled the old world again. I'm telling you, I enjoyed Soar enough by itself that I would enjoy a toned down dragonriding on other classes.

Your comment of "if you want soar reroll dracthyr" isn't helpful except in that it proves the point I am making, there's no compelling technical reason not to allow this in old content.

Regardless, at the least, they should bring it, along side old flying, into new expansions. That's the absolute minimum they should do.
    Last edited by Thirtyrock; 2022-12-02 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Lots of clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Do you not understand how large birds fly long distances? A lot of that time is spent soaring. Short distances they flap, just like the dragon does. Long distances they soar, also like the dragon does.
    Except flying in WoW has nothing to do with the way real-world physics work and therefore another system that imitates real-world physics (dragonriding) is a different system with different characteristics. Thanks for proving my point.

7+ Year Old Account
    No reason you can't have both types
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Actually there aren't that many unique flying skeletons on which mounts are built.

Option 2. Alongside a World Revamp. /hopium

I'm only 63, and I think I'm getting tired of Dragonriding. It's kind of exhausting. Maybe it's because I've done a lot of it in the past day -- getting all the glyphs, doing all those sightseeing quests, etc...

My main problem is...Dragonriding is work! I don't see the world at all when I'm Dragonriding. I'm too focused on trying to stay airborne. My first impressions of all the zones, outside of the Waking Shores, was a frantic glyph hunt where I was staring at my resource eggs and focusing on staying airborne, instead of looking at the world.

When I see something on the ground, I want to just land and get it without overshooting my mark. Then if I do overshoot the mark, I have to work to fly back up to get it. When flying vertically to get something, I just want to go up and get it.

Dragonriding is definitely cool, and I would love to see how it looks in non-Dragon Isles zones. It's also a blessing to have even this form of flight so early in the expansion, but I kinda want regular flying back. I like being able to explore in a chill way and look around and take in the scenery without worrying that I'm drifting back to earth into a fire pit.

3 because dragonriding is fun and fuck druids (bots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
    It's a Horde symbol but the middle part can also be called the "Eye" of the zone (AZSHARA), it's a play on words
    No, it is happening. The zone changed, it belongs to the Goblins now and is their home. Hearthstone is having a mechanical themed expansion soon, November's cardback is Goblin influenced and revealed concept art shows Goblin machinery. It's a HS expansion, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    Actually there aren't that many unique flying skeletons on which mounts are built.
    While they've already done 4 of the more common skeletons, they still have quite a few to go :

• gryphons
    • horses(cats,yaks,dogs,pigs,etc) with wings
    • bees/flies
    • cloud serpents/worms
    • dragonhawks (!)
    • planes/hovercrafts/helicopter
    • elementals
    • animites/blood..things
    • moths
    • bats
    • great bats (plague/gravewings)
    • jellyfish
    • rockets
    • flying carpets
    • horses (moose?) without wings
    • hippogryphs
    • vultures/parrots/birds
    • rylaks/flayed wings
    • nether rays
    • sky golems
    • kites/gliders

Which is to say, it wouldn't be quite the simple task it originally seems.