15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Its not a success, it was a massive bomb, HotD was a success
    Two things can be successful at the same time. It has been a success for Amazon. I'm not sure why you always try so hard to deny simple things. It being a success for the Prime Video platform doesn't mean it isn't still a flawed show.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Shows are not created equal. There are no absolute numbers something has to cross to succeed or fail, it's all relative to factors like cost/investment, expectations, competition, etc.

That's why bringing up absolute numbers RoP broke is a little stupid. It cost A BILLION DOLLARS and has the might of one of the biggest fantasy franchises of all time behind it. It needs to perform RELATIVE TO THAT, not relative to some other show based on a comic book satire 5,000 people on the planet had even heard of before.
    Platforms like prime or Netflix aren’t only looking for good earning/investment break downs for one show they want to drive engagement across there platform and use big releases to draw in more Subs who will then view other shows.

RoP did that and it did it better then every other show on prime more then other big book shows like Wot more then multi season hits like The Boys even if we want to pretend like it was a 5000 people comic past the first season.

People might not like it but the show wasn’t a bomb.

- - - Updated - - -

What are you talking about, people have being denying reality since the first images appear, denying it would be garbage, and it was.
    You know what your absolutely right, we had a ton of people denying reality when they saw black actors and starting freaking out but pretending they weren’t racist.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2022-12-02 at 03:16 PM.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Me too I can't wait to watch it, so, so excited for it

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Ah it’s always great to check the thread, I see we’re now in the deny reality phase and topping all of Primes records means a show bombed.

I wonder what shows like boys or invincible must be if the bar for a show even bombing is so high.
    I mean Avatar 2 could make 1.8 billion and still not make its money back, you have to remember investment + potential mate.

Oh right you are one of those people that think everyone who dislikes the show is an ist or phobe, my bad for responding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    I mean Avatar 2 could make 1.8 billion and still not make its money back, you have to remember investment + potential mate.

Oh right you are one of those people that think everyone who dislikes the show is an ist or phobe, my bad for responding.
    It's always funny how you people become a parody's of your self's, I haven't called any one an ist or phobe for not liking the show. But go off on about how every one who doesn't hate it as much as you is the same, lol.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've seen figures for the Avatar 2 budgent from $250 million to $400 million. So $1.8b would make its money back even with the "extra spending" not covered by the movies budget. It is reported that Disney has spent over $1b for four sequels (Avatar 2-5). Obviously that is higher since the first sequel has a higher cost.

Also no one, not even Amazon/showrunners, have said that everyone who dislikes the show is a bigot. The victim complex that is displayed by some of those who dislike the show really is crazy.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

It's always funny how you people become a parody's of your self's, I haven't called any one an ist or phobe for not liking the show. But go off on about how every one who doesn't hate it as much as you is the same, lol.
    So you didn't just write this

You know what your absolutely right, we had a ton of people denying reality when they saw black actors and starting freaking out but pretending they weren’t racist.
    Yeah.... now I remember why you were ignored, my bad for forgetting.
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

15+ Year Old Account
    "a ton of people" is "all people who dislike the show"?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Conceptuel View Post
    Indeed, that was something people overlook when they say "noooo Orcs need to be evuhl". The fact of the matter is that Tolkien wrote Lord of the Rings as a Catholic parable, and that ultimately it would contradict his Catholic belief system for Orcs to be ultimately irredeemable. Although they are portrayed as fairly single-minded villains in most of the mainline canon, it's because the ultimate intention was that the Orcish armies in those stories serve as a representation of evil in general for good to triumph over. As individuals, Orcs could theoretically be redeemed, they just aren't redeemed in Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit because their army serves as a stand-in for the concept of evil in itself.
    In one his letters Tolkien said that Orcs were redeemable but he couldn't think of a circumstance where redemption could happen.

7+ Year Old Account

Yeah.... now I remember why you were ignored, my bad for forgetting.
    Ah so your not only a parody of your self you also cant read, That post has nothing to do with people disliking the show its about the huge shit fest we had from racist when the first images of the show released, you know BEFORE the show was out or we saw any thing other then stills.

like really please put me back on ignore if your this stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And it’s an ok show with a generic fantasy plot and super high production values.

But to me and a lot of Tolkien fans, it is terrible because it doesn’t follow the lore at all. One of my first comments in the thread is it feels like watching a remake of a football season but with all the players playing the wrong position. People who don’t know anything about the source material might be like “this is fine!” but the people who do are watching it like, “Wtf, this is all wrong!”
    This is pretty much exactly my feels its an ok fantasy show a bit better then say Wot a bit worse then the witcher but nothing great. If I was big into Tolkien's work I may come down harder on it but as some one who just has a passing interest in his stuff and only really liked the hobbit novel its just a resounding "ok".

What are you talking about, people have being denying reality since the first images appear, denying it would be garbage, and it was.

Great comparison, as always, false equivalence prevail.

Like people Said, this IP was huge and they put almost a billion dollars to it, not counting how much they put to advertise, series needed to be big hit to pay off, and it didn't, it was a failure for what wanted to(be the next got)
    It has been a huge success that is simple reality, noone knows what reality you live in but the one everyone lives in uses facts to back themselves up, not just throwing your uninformed opinion around. Do you consider 100 million viewers so its beat GoT on viewers that have watched it on release. Also game of thrones was a slow starter it took several season for it to really pick up.

Also season 1 and 2 are going to cost around 1 billion not just 1 single season and that includes buying whatever rights they require.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

5+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    that was actually amazing, had me laughing and enjoying it more than any point of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    snip
    Love. It.

Was hoping for a jab at her not saying who Sauron is or that she decided three rings is a checkmate move instead of two.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2022-12-03 at 09:28 AM.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, nice strawman, its fine how people always go back to this topic that was mentioned time and time again to be off-topic.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Two things can be successful at the same time. It has been a success for Amazon. I'm not sure why you always try so hard to deny simple things. It being a success for the Prime Video platform doesn't mean it isn't still a flawed show.
    My guy, the amount of money amazon put in this dumpsterfire, and what they got in return means it was a massive failure for amazon, it was not a success there, it needed to be a big hit to pay out. Thats why the show i having recasts and they are basically firing the showrunners.

- - - Updated - - -

HotD was a far superior show. Seems like there are two major reasons:

1. HBO has been doing this type of thing (hugely successful big budget shows with limited episodes) for 20 years. The did it right - developing multiple concepts, choosing the best, etc.

2. HBO has the creator in the writers’ room.

3. I don’t get the sense that there’s a desire to “improve” the source material the way there is with Amazon (which also happened with WoT).

Obviously you can’t get Jordan or Tolkien in the room if you’re Amazon, so that’s just a limitation.
    The major reasons is how Hotd team tried to be faithful to the source, the changes they made were mostly, respectful to a point the author liked more in the show, they actually tried to tell the story from the book, unlike RoP who tried to make something new while ruining what they had instead of using it.

Seems like its the trending these days, apparently, they fucked up Willow too, i don't even know if i will watch it

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your forum experience will be much better with dishonest people like kenn on your ignore list. LOTR has sold over 100 million copies over literal decades and that doesn't happen if it isn't popular.

- - - Updated - - -

So maybe a better way to frame my criticism is to say that for the show to attempt it is taking a REALLY big bite at the apple.

- - - Updated - - -

HotD was a far superior show. Seems like there are two major reasons:

1. HBO has been doing this type of thing (hugely successful big budget shows with limited episodes) for 20 years. The did it right - developing multiple concepts, choosing the best, etc.

2. HBO has the creator in the writers’ room.

3. I don’t get the sense that there’s a desire to “improve” the source material the way there is with Amazon (which also happened with WoT).

Obviously you can’t get Jordan or Tolkien in the room if you’re Amazon, so that’s just a limitation.
    Amazon literally had the leading authority on Tolkien in Tom Shippey and they sent him packing when he told them what they were doing was shite and disrespectful to Tolkien's work. Brandon Sanderson consulted on WoT and so did RJs widow, Harriet McDougall and they still managed to fuck that up even more. Everything from the casting choices to the bastardized narrative to the costume aesthetics in WoT was fucking garbage. There's zero excuse as to why that show sucked ass considering if you cut a lot of the filler, the narrative still holds up strong.

15+ Year Old Account
    My guy, the amount of money amazon put in this dumpsterfire, and what they got in return means it was a massive failure for amazon, it was not a success there, it needed to be a big hit to pay out. Thats why the show i having recasts and they are basically firing the showrunners.
    The show breaking Prime Video records for viewers and signups is a massive failure for Amazon? A recast doesn't mean they are firing the showrunners. It just means the actor needs to be replaced for whatever reasons. Personal life, scheduling conflicts, etc can all be a factor. I remember reading the old Adar actor is hearing impaired and it made some scenes difficult to shoot because of the noise. It is possible they replaced the actor because of that.

7+ Year Old Account
    The show breaking Prime Video records for viewers and signups is a massive failure for Amazon?
    Any number amazon put up to hide their massive failure is a lie or questionable at best, only you think those kind of companies are fair and do not manipulate numbers, literally company who hold reviews for three days and deleted others.

Besides, you have no f idea if the "signups" are because they wanted to see shits of power.

A recast doesn't mean they are firing the showrunners. It just means the actor needs to be replaced for whatever reasons. Personal life, scheduling conflicts, etc can all be a factor. I remember reading the old Adar actor is hearing impaired and it made some scenes difficult to shoot because of the noise. It is possible they replaced the actor because of that
    ah yes, the copium.

Im pretty sure the Adar actor got problems in hearing all the bullshit in set and he left, this is the perfect time for actors don't stain their career more

Pretty sure the showrunners also got scheduling conflicts too.

15+ Year Old Account
    Any number amazon put up to hide their massive failure is a lie or questionable at best, only you think those kind of companies are fair and do not manipulate numbers, literally company who hold reviews for three days and deleted others.
    Anything that makes the show look good is something you would doubt or call lying. Lets not pretend that it has anything to do with information coming from Amazon. I highly doubt Amazon would manipulate this information. They held reviews for 3 days to combat review bombing. It is something they started on Prime Video this summer around the time the League of their Own series came out. IMDB, which Amazon owns, did the same for at least Rings of Power.

It isn't copium to say a recast does not reflect on the show runners. In fact you are the one displaying copium or what over the reverse of that is. It has been stated by the show runners in the past that it was difficult for the Adar actor to hear his cues because of the sound of the mail armor and other noises. Of course that being the reason is just conjecture but it could potentially contribute.

7+ Year Old Account
    Anything that makes the show look good is something you would doubt or call lying.
    There is nothing that makes the show look good, and the amount of tweets or minutes watching sure as well is no metric to say if it was a success or not when lesser shows get the double, the engagement is shit and people only talk about to make fun of it.

The show could make millions, and still would be a massive failure since they wasted a billion

I highly doubt Amazon would manipulate this information.
    They held reviews for 3 days to combat review bombing.
    I highly doubt Amazon would manipulate this information.

Literally manipulating information, stopping people from reviewing and deleting reviews.

It isn't copium to say a recast does not reflect on the show runners. In fact you are the one displaying copium or what over the reverse of that is. It has been stated by the show runners in the past that it was difficult for the Adar actor to hear his cues because of the sound of the mail armor and other noises. Of course that being the reason is just conjecture but it could potentially contribute.
    There is no mail armor, is printed. LUL