Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    While I don't really think the whole "slap in the face" argument holds much water considering Malfurion isn't really dead and is more or less still in the cooler where he usually is, I do agree there's no need to bring Ysera back after her death in Legion, doubly so in light of the fact that she's still a shade in Shadowlands. Just make Merithra the new Green Aspect in her stead, pass the torch on to a new character, and so forth. Ysera had a good death and a touching denouement, bringing her back to life through this kind of external wizardry just cheapens both stories.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Merithra is the new green aspect tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    While I don't really think the whole "slap in the face" argument holds much water considering Malfurion isn't really dead and is more or less still in the cooler where he usually is, I do agree there's no need to bring Ysera back after her death in Legion, doubly so in light of the fact that she's still a shade in Shadowlands. Just make Merithra the new Green Aspect in her stead, pass the torch on to a new character, and so forth. Ysera had a good death and a touching denouement, bringing her back to life through this kind of external wizardry just cheapens both stories.
    Apparently Merithra is given the Dreamer title and the Aspect status herself by Ysera, just not in the cinematic. If this is true it makes things more interesting that Ysera is visiting but aware that it is just a visit: she can't stay, so she can't lead.

This sucks lol

I don't care about Malfurion as much as just casually undoing Ysera's demise in Legion. One of the few moments the story was meant to have gravity.

The constant fickleness the writers have to changing the story makes it impossible to care about.

Imagine being so incapable of handling a single drakonid that you need to resort to bringing a literal dragon aspect back from the dead to deal with them

I find it weird that the Night Elves trust that the seed is safe. Malfurion and Tyrande know how dangerous the Emerald Nightmare is and its influence in the dream.

And why do they even trust Elune after her portrayal in Shadowlands? Not only was she willing to sacrifice all these Night Elves, she wasn't even aware what happened to these souls. What if she fucks up again, gets distracted or is of the opinion, that she could use the seed for a different, in her eyes more important business.

She didn't ask the Night Elves, if they want to help Ardenweald. And now she has full control over the seed. The blind faith Malfurion and Tyrande still have in Elune is... weird to say the least. No one worships a god for the lols and giggles, especially in Warcraft. And if a god fucks up, there should be consequences, the worshipper should question that god more in my opinion.

I'm just upset this quest is taking us back to a Shadowlands zone. I just want to completely forget about that place. Not to mention that one of the most iconic Warcraft 3 characters has been delegated to staying there for the "foreseeable future".

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    However, that pointless owl has done pretty much nothing and been nothing but an absolute annoyance since Classic.
    Malfurion only had two cameo appearances in Classic.
    One during the AQ40 Chain and when you turned in a quest item from the Green Dragon World bosses.

Furion didn't really have more appearances until Cata and onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Baraden View Post
    Night Elves have been shit on since BFA, Thrall is still very much a main character of WoW
    He's been neutered character-wise and ability-wise, he might as well be a completely different character.

I hope Merithra is the new aspect. It would be more interesting because the story would be about legacy (together with Wrathion and Kalecgos).

ya, the datamining already showed this absolute garbage writing... sure Ysera's new model is nice, but that's about it.

Already went over how dumb this all is in the other thread

suffice to say, none of this needed to happen (Merithra is still going to be the new Green Aspect, so why does Ysera need to come back?), night elves yet again lose something as if a genocide/sacrificing souls for the seed/so on wasn't enough, Malfurion's chance to finally be in the spotlight for the NEs wasted (heck, they even have Tyrande say "I'm so tired", so why the heck wouldn't they let her rest and let Malfurion take lead??), Ysera's death cheapened and her story in SL basically made pointless and the list goes on.

Danuser and co. just continue to up themselves on how awful the story is in their hands and how bad they can possibly write -_-

Quote Originally Posted by AlmightyGerkin View Post
    Do you even read or actual look at the reason he is staying in Ardenweald? It says so right in the cinematic.
    Ohhh sorry I must have missed it ;3 Where exactly it is explained that Yesera is needed back on azeroth (and for what) given her doughter is new aspect and how does whole "trade" (?) with shadowlands works?
    Yeah I didnt notice such.

Quote Originally Posted by FAILoZOFF View Post
    Ohhh sorry I must have missed it ;3 Where exactly it is explained that Yesera is needed back on azeroth (and for what) given her doughter is new aspect and how does whole "trade" (?) with shadowlands works?
    Yeah I didnt notice such.
    1: To help with the Green Dragonflight against Razsageth and likely Merithria is there to be under Ysera's tutelage.
    2: If Ysera and Malfurion just both left Ardenweald I would say that it would cause an imbalance and be chaotic and could say need a guardian as I would imagine the troops of Ardenweald are insufficient incase threats arrive. So one must stay for order to maintain. This I can see something they'll expand on sometime later.

Quote Originally Posted by voidox View Post
    ya, the datamining already showed this absolute garbage writing... sure Ysera's new model is nice, but that's about it.

Already went over how dumb this all is in the other thread

suffice to say, none of this needed to happen (Merithra is still going to be the new Green Aspect, so why does Ysera need to come back?), night elves yet again lose something as if a genocide/sacrificing souls for the seed/so on wasn't enough, Malfurion's chance to finally be in the spotlight for the NEs wasted (heck, they even have Tyrande say "I'm so tired", so why the heck wouldn't they let her rest and let Malfurion take lead??), Ysera's death cheapened and her story in SL basically made pointless and the list goes on.

Danuser and co. just continue to up themselves on how awful the story is in their hands and how bad they can possibly write -_-
    And they hide the seed who knows how long again. Its kept secret for 3 yers now and we have to wait i think another expansion or more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard said in an interview that shes not staying forever. Just temporarily to help get the greens sorted. I assume she will swap back with Malfurion after that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Now this is the horde bias and horde focus alliance being asking for years, i don't understand why people are upset. You get pointless screentime and one of your leaders die

And to be perfectly fine, Malfurion should be dead for a very long time by now, and they will probably bring him back anyway, so you guys are on the green.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Blizzard said in an interview that shes not staying forever. Just temporarily to help get the greens sorted. I assume she will swap back with Malfurion after that.
    That's not what the interview said, though. The interview said they're putting Malfurion on the shelf, to be brought back if and when it makes sense. That's a very different angle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    That's not what the interview said, though. The interview said they're putting Malfurion on the shelf, to be brought back if and when it makes sense. That's a very different angle.
    But obviously temporary? Its going to take more than a week to get the green ready for her to leave. She could go back in 3 expansions and it would only constitute a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    But obviously temporary? Its going to take more than a week to get the green ready for her to leave. She could go back in 3 expansions and it would only constitute a few years.
    Sure it's temporary, but my point was, they didn't go "damn we need Ysera somehow, how can we do this? Guess Malfurion's got to go". They decided to shift narrative focus away from Malfurion, and this was a convenient way to get him out of the picture, but retain the option to bring him back as needed. That this also allows them to bring back Ysera so the dragon family can have all its marquee leaders for the DF story is just a bonus.

My guess is they wanted to clear the field of a character that keeps causing narrative problems. Malfurion is too powerful for a meaningful story, given what they've established for him in the past. So either everything needs to be retconned, or some contrived reason needs to be found for why he's suddenly not as powerful as the lore says he should be. Neither of which are satisfying options to writers, and so they simply pull the plug and put him on the shelf. This isn't all that uncommon in writing, where power inflation boxes you in at some point, and you're cornered by your own lore. With the loss of Sylvanas, all the current Alliance/Horde leaders are at very reasonable power levels now - Malfurion sticks out among them, and so is hammered down so as not to cause a power imbalance that future writing constantly needs to dance around.