Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Why my dear YUPPIE? as long as he's in a prison in the US putin can't get to him, as soon as he's in russia putin can do whatever he wants to him.
    It's also important for Putin to show his key supporters he will atleast try to protect them in some capacity this may be a carrot and not a stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    It's also important for Putin to show his key supporters he will atleast try to protect them in some capacity this may be a carrot and not a stick.
    Yeah and no. That's the CNN speculation, right there, but the fact they said Putin said *only* this guy for Griner - coupled with his background - indicates he could still be influential in the arms trade.

If it was just a show of "I can care for my own" it could've been someone really nobody status
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    Yeah and no. That's the CNN speculation, right there, but the fact they said Putin said *only* this guy for Griner - coupled with his background - indicates he could still be influential in the arms trade.

If it was just a show of "I can care for my own" it could've been someone really nobody status
    No because Putin's key supporters are not regular nobody's it's his circle of rich and powerful military members and business owners. Those are the people he has to keep loyal.

it's really stretching the imagination Putin would get this guy back just to kill him. He definitely has a purpose.
    Lul. When will you people learn...

Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    No because Putin's key supporters are not regular nobody's it's his circle of rich and powerful military members and business owners. Those are the people he has to keep loyal.
    I meant just a businessman or politician most if not all Americans wouldn't know, and not a guy with enough notoriety to be nicknamed "the merchant of death"
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Unsurprisingly, everyone is slamming this trade deal. Knowing what Griner did, people were just content to let her rot after a while and there was little sympathy left.

This will probably destroy any goodwill left for Biden considering the person traded isn't just some hoodlum, but a high-profile arms dealer terrorist right into Russia's hands. Also, the fact he's bargaining or dealing with Russia at all, compromising America's motto of not negotiating with terrorists.
    Only Republicans are slamming this trade.

Also, Trump DIRECTLY negotiated with terrorists. Did you not forget that Trump released 5000 Taliban soldiers and negotiated the surrender of Afghanistan with them instead of the Afghani government we helped establish? Get the fuck out of here with this negotiating with terrorists bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Only Republicans are slamming this trade.

Also, Trump DIRECTLY negotiated with terrorists. Did you not forget that Trump released 5000 Taliban soldiers and negotiated the surrender of Afghanistan with them instead of the Afghani government we helped establish? Get the fuck out of here with this negotiating with terrorists bullshit.
    no one mentioned Trump. This is a Joe Biden issue.

Also, it's scary how people change their tune to the current trends; months ago, people said she was at fault for bringing weed and, of course, visiting Russia at all.

It's not just Republicans slamming this. The amount of controversy over the other person exchanged is all over social media right now. A basketball player actually convicted over something legitimate per another country's laws for an arms dealer known as "merchant of death" and was so bad he was imprisoned for over a decade

And not just the fact he's an arms dealer, but considering the circumstances in Ukraine right now. Why would they specifically ask for an infamous arms dealer with that title (merchant of death) when Russia is reportedly suffering so many losses in Ukraine in resources?
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2022-12-08 at 10:09 PM.

I meant just a businessman or politician most if not all Americans wouldn't know, and not a guy with enough notoriety to be nicknamed "the merchant of death"
    He's useless at this point. He used to sell old soviet weapons stored in Eastern Europe to clients in Asia, Africa and South America. The levels of corruption that allowed these practices are long gone in Eastern Europe, the stocks are now controlled by a NATO aligned militarily, his network is gone, and everybody knows him.

I get why the US negotiated for the return of its citizen but at the same time its kinda shitty that the lesson being given is that you can break whatever law you want in a foreign country and the US gov will bail you out. Dont break the law in another country

Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    I get why the US negotiated for the return of its citizen but at the same time its kinda shitty that the lesson being given is that you can break whatever law you want in a foreign country and the US gov will bail you out. Dont break the law in another country
    This is not the actual lesson, and I'm not sure where on earth you got this notion.

russia tho. not like you are getting a fair trial in a mafia state.

it's interesting how with all the Griner talk on TV, the newscasters on American TV are openly calling Putin a "war criminal" and "dictator" now. Not even "president." Ironically, despite the fact Griner was convicted for breaking another country's laws, they keep going on how about it was "mad" and "unjust" as if she did nothing wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    This is not the actual lesson, and I'm not sure where on earth you got this notion.
    he does have a point; she was bailed out for something she was responsible for with the claim of "no American gets left behind"

...except immediately after saying that, they mention numerous other political American prisoners still trapped in Russia, including a Marine. Why not free them as well?

it's interesting how with all the Griner talk on TV, the newscasters on American TV are openly calling Putin a "war criminal" and "dictator" now. Not even "president." Ironically, despite the fact Griner was convicted for breaking another country's laws, they keep going on how about it was "mad" and "unjust" as if she did nothing wrong.
    Is this your first time turning on cable news since the war started?

- - - Updated - - -

he does have a point; she was bailed out for something she was responsible for with the claim of "no American gets left behind"

...except immediately after saying that, they mention numerous other political American prisoners still trapped in Russia, including a Marine. Why not free them as well?
    Where did you hear this message, other than from them?

This is not the first time this has happened. Nor is it particularly unusual in such cases, even. As I pointed out in another thread, in most cases if you commit a crime in another country, especially if the crime is just "contraband" like it is here, the punishment is just going to be deportation and a travel ban. It is rare for any country to actual imprison a foreign citizen, which usually only happens if the government wants to use them as political leverage or if they did something particularly heinous.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Is this your first time turning on cable news since the war started?
    no, but it's a big deal to call another president those things on state media at a time like this because it further ignites the already insane anti-Russian sentiments.

no, but it's a big deal to call another president those things on state media at a time like this...
    It's not.

...because it further ignites the already insane anti-Russian sentiments.
    It doesn't.

At this point there's no quarter; before people were like "there are good/victimized Russians;" now it's just "fuck them all" basically.
    What the fuck are you on? Stop living in your own version of reality.

no, but it's a big deal to call another president those things on state media at a time like this because it further ignites the already insane anti-Russian sentiments.
    We do not have state media, and it's not a big deal.

no, but it's a big deal to call another president those things on state media at a time like this because it further ignites the already insane anti-Russian sentiments. At this point there's no quarter; before people were like "there are good/victimized Russians;" now it's just "fuck them all" basically.
    While they allow Putin to stay in power and have troops in Ukraine there are no good Russians. So yep fuckem! They have nobody to blame but themselves for allowing it to go on for so long and being willing to sacrifice nearly a full generation of men to salve Putin's ego.
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Wealth inequality is here to stay, sometimes it's just how lifes cookie crumbles and all of society is better off for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    But from what I can see it is quite probable Æthelstan was the first Brexiteer, likely the Farage of his age seeing off the European continentals in the very first successful Brexit.

Some Pentagon officials are concerned that convicted Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout, who was released on Thursday in a prisoner swap for American basketball star Brittney Griner, could return to illegally trafficking weapons, potentially fueling conflicts across the world.

While officials in the Pentagon applauded Griner’s release, some are worried about the impact of Bout’s return, particularly in Africa. Bout, nicknamed the “Merchant of Death,” was serving a 25-year prison sentence in the United States on charges of conspiring to kill Americans, delivery of anti-aircraft missiles, and aiding a terrorist organization.

“I think there is a concern that [he] would return to doing the same kind of work that he’s done in the past,” said one senior Defense Department official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive topic.

With Bout back in Russia, National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby stressed that “our national security interest is not going to change.”

“We’re going to make sure that we can defend this country against any and all threats,” Kirby said on CNN on Thursday. “And so, with Mr. Bout being back on the street, we’re going to stay focused on making sure we can defend this country.”

Sen. Bob Menendez, the Democratic chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said there’s no equivalence between Griner and Bout.

“We cannot ignore that releasing Bout back into the world is a deeply disturbing decision,” he said in a statement Thursday. “We must stop inviting dictatorial and rogue regimes to use Americans overseas as bargaining chips, and we must try do better at encouraging American citizens against traveling to places like Russia where they are primary targets for this type of unlawful detention.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/1...-bout-00073034

no one mentioned Trump. This is a Joe Biden issue.

Also, it's scary how people change their tune to the current trends; months ago, people said she was at fault for bringing weed and, of course, visiting Russia at all.

It's not just Republicans slamming this. The amount of controversy over the other person exchanged is all over social media right now. A basketball player actually convicted over something legitimate per another country's laws for an arms dealer known as "merchant of death" and was so bad he was imprisoned for over a decade

And not just the fact he's an arms dealer, but considering the circumstances in Ukraine right now. Why would they specifically ask for an infamous arms dealer with that title (merchant of death) when Russia is reportedly suffering so many losses in Ukraine in resources?
    You complained about negotiating with terrorists, but want to ignore Trump doing objectively worse.

I haven't seen anyone but Republicans bitching about it.