Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Passing through View Post
    Indeed.....it can be said about everything - because according to this site, everything in WoW sucks one way or another and the solution is "they have to do it like in game X"

Too bad some of thoose games have even already been shut down....maybe they did a feature really well for some people, but overall it just didn't interest enough folks or just weren't a strong enough feature to keep ppl playing.
    That's the thing though - what other games did badly, you don't have to bring to wow.

Just like Blizz literally copied Dragonriding from Guild Wars 2 - a very niche game, so they could copy housing from Wildstar or that other game, because it works and it does not suddenly ruin the game - because everything else is still WoW and not GW2/TOG.

Housing in Wildstar or Gryphon in Guild Wars 2 are not the reason these games are either dead or on their last leg.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    What game would that be? It isn't purely cosmetic in FFXIV.
    Hence I said make it purely cosmetical, because shitty WoW playerbase can't help themselves, so you have to spoonfeed them to ensure it's not being branded as "almost mandatory".

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Just like Blizz literally copied Dragonriding from Guild Wars 2
    yeah I guess that the number of games that have flying as a mini-game/mechanic have all copied guild wars 2 even before it was released. Zelda Skyward Sword and Batman Arkham city are such copy cats... I'm surprised these two games didn't include player housing directly copied from Wild Star...

Quote Originally Posted by Skildar View Post
    yeah I guess that the number of games that have flying as a mini-game/mechanic have all copied guild wars 2 even before it was released. Zelda Skyward Sword and Batman Arkham city are such copy cats... I'm surprised these two games didn't include player housing directly copied from Wild Star...

Jesus people on this forum are overly aggressive. The point isn't which game they copied it from, the point is they took a good mechanic from another game (whichever source you want to claim) and implemented it because people like it.

Same thing they could do with housing. Lots of games have it and when it's done well, players really enjoy it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skildar View Post
    Bruh, what are you on even.

Everyone who has even slightest clue realizes that Blizz copied GW2 Gryphon almost 1-to-1. And guess what? I approve and I want Blizzard to do more of that - take great ideas, polish them and put them in their games. This is the shit they do best.

I don't really give a fudge where they copy it from as long as it's good. But I am aware of the history too, not going to bury head in the sand on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelcryo View Post
    Jesus people on this forum are overly aggressive. The point isn't which game they copied it from, the point is they took a good mechanic from another game (whichever source you want to claim) and implemented it because people like it.

Same thing they could do with housing. Lots of games have it and when it's done well, players really enjoy it.
    Exactly.

Just like with Dragonflying - they really don't need to re-invent bycicle - it's already fucking over there, just make one like that or similar.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2022-12-09 at 12:19 PM.

That's the thing though - what other games did badly, you don't have to bring to wow.

Just like Blizz literally copied Dragonriding from Guild Wars 2 - a very niche game, so they could copy housing from Wildstar or that other game, because it works and it does not suddenly ruin the game - because everything else is still WoW and not GW2/TOG.

Housing in Wildstar or Gryphon in Guild Wars 2 are not the reason these games are either dead or on their last leg.
    Indeed they are not the reason...just as I think just cobbling random features together that worked in different games, will give you a game that everybody loves.

I actually thought dragonriding was build on the use of wings in Aion.....but yeah...it seems like people really loved the Wildstar housing. So who knows...it might just come if people keep pestering Blizzard.

Just like the Tinker hero class

Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    But at that point there are core issues with the game outside of that feature. You can gather metrics fairly easily to see if that feature is good. Yes you are right, for those specific failed games sure, WoW is not that. It's like adding new classes. We do not need more, we need better game features and raiding/dungeon content.
    What metrics can tell you whether the time spent on a feature is worth it in a game that died shortly thereafter?

Not sure what you mean with your WoW comment, the only housing WoW has had was the mini version in WoD, the most hated expansion to date.

- - - Updated - - -

Hence I said make it purely cosmetical, because shitty WoW playerbase can't help themselves, so you have to spoonfeed them to ensure it's not being branded as "almost mandatory".
    Sometimes I wonder what you people who blame the playerbase for the design of the game are thinking. It's a game that's (designed to be) entirely about endgame progress.

Anyway yeah the housing in FFXIV isn't great - it works in that game but it wouldn't in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    What metrics can tell you whether the time spent on a feature is worth it in a game that died shortly thereafter?

Anyway yeah the housing in FFXIV isn't great - it works in that game but it wouldn't in WoW.
    Usage metrics of the feature. They record every little detail within the game, including your cursor movement. Second point
    -K

Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    Usage metrics of the feature. They record every little detail within the game, including your cursor movement. Second point
    soo you want to use data you dont have access to, to tell if the feature worked well ...how?

10+ Year Old Account
    Am I the only that doesn't care about it?

Let's use the current expansion as an example. Let's say that I had a little room in Org. Would I go there? No. Why? Because it would take me longer to get back to Dragonflight content. Why would I take a portal twice every time I log out/back in when I can log out literally in any of the major faction hubs or the capital city? The player house would literally need to be picked up and moved to w/e the current major city every expansion; otherwise, why bother?

Would it be cool to have a little room in Thaldrasus overlooking the professions/market area? Yea sure, but even then, unless the HS is set there I don't know if I would bother.

Real question,

I've never understood the value of player housing. I'm certainly not one of the big proponents. So, why should I care about this feature? Is there a compelling reason for players who aren't already wanting it to ask for it?

It seems like a pretty niche item that won't bring much value to MOST players. Is that impression wrong, would it bring value to those of us who aren't already asking for it?

Quote Originally Posted by HansOlo View Post
    Except for... Wildstar and Rift are dead games. So much for housing being some sustainable feature.
    It's a secondary feature meant to enhance and go alongside of the other features in the game.

If the game is ass, then your player housing won't save it. If your game is kinda good but maybe lacks something purely optional to keep players engaged with the content, then player housing is a pretty great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelcryo View Post

And that isn't? I'm tired of people reducing dev work to "copy pasting from X source" or crediting other work for something that is only similar.

Improved flying has been a requested feature for quite somtimes and even before GW2 implementation. It's only natural to think about flying in this manner.

None of this means that picking a random game with a feature that looks interesting and putting it as it in wow would give any valuable result. That's why I've been a bit forceful in trying to open the eyes of the person I was quoting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Passing through View Post
    Indeed they are not the reason...just as I think just cobbling random features together that worked in different games, will give you a game that everybody loves.

I actually thought dragonriding was build on the use of wings in Aion.....but yeah...it seems like people really loved the Wildstar housing. So who knows...it might just come if people keep pestering Blizzard.

Just like the Tinker hero class
    The game that everybody loves is already here.

Giving it housing that was proven to work elsewhere won't "ruin" it, just like Dragonflying did not.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirtyrock View Post
    Real question,

I've never understood the value of player housing. I'm certainly not one of the big proponents. So, why should I care about this feature? Is there a compelling reason for players who aren't already wanting it to ask for it?

It seems like a pretty niche item that won't bring much value to MOST players. Is that impression wrong, would it bring value to those of us who aren't already asking for it?
    I've warmed up to the idea. You can check the other player housing threads where I've been a pretty loud antagonist on this topic but the more I think about how gaming is changing in the current social climate the more that housing starts to make (a little bit) of sense. If it's something that can be added and remain entirely optional then I think it can work. It's something for people to come back to even if they aren't fully engaged with everything else WoW offers. Blizzard just needs to get out of its own way and avoid doing what they did with Garrisons where it became a core gameplay loop. I don't know if they can but it's worth a shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes I wonder what you people who blame the playerbase for the design of the game are thinking. It's a game that's (designed to be) entirely about endgame progress.
    Who is this "you people"? I personally play this game since 2005 and I got my Famed Slayer every tier it existed except for Jaina.

This does not suddenly mean that the game exists purely at my pleasure and should only ever be about progression, endgame and what other fancy words you don't understand you throw around.

WoW is a theme park game - it's designed to have something for everyone, whether it's me who wants mythic raids or Timmy who wants to stir soup or Billy who wants to play Pokemon or Jane who wants to play house.

So yeah, imagine that - having housing would not cost me my raid tier, it would be a feature for another big bunch of players out of millions here. Just like 500 other BS activities WoW has that have nothing to do with "endgame progression".

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    I've warmed up to the idea. You can check the other player housing threads where I've been a pretty loud antagonist on this topic but the more I think about how gaming is changing in the current social climate the more that housing starts to make (a little bit) of sense. If it's something that can be added and remain entirely optional then I think it can work. It's something for people to come back to even if they aren't fully engaged with everything else WoW offers. Blizzard just needs to get out of its own way and avoid doing what they did with Garrisons where it became a core gameplay loop. I don't know if they can but it's worth a shot.
    I don't have any philosophical objections, really. Like, as long as MY content (Raids, M+, Economy) still gets attention, I don't care if they implement player housing. I'm just wondering if there's a reason for me to go from ambivalent to a cheerleader?

I 10000000% agree they should not make it mandatory, because I HATED garrisons (the little I played with them), and if they implement housing poorly but make me participate I'll be pretty ticked off. To me it's kind of like pet battles. Fine, they're in the game, I don't care, but don't make me interact with it because it is 100% not my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    It's a secondary feature meant to enhance and go alongside of the other features in the game.

If the game is ass, then your player housing won't save it. If your game is kinda good but maybe lacks something purely optional to keep players engaged with the content, then player housing is a pretty great idea.
    Or if your game is good and you spend ressources on housing(obviously, everything got a budget. Housing that people been are asking for, requires constant development aka ressources).

Suddenly the game turns into ass, after the housing implementation and prioritization? Thought of that? That's why I am against housing.

Game is not broken, stop fixing it.
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2022-12-09 at 06:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HansOlo View Post
    Or if your game is good and you spend ressources on housing(obviously, everything got a budget. Housing that people been are asking for, requires constant development aka ressources).

Suddenly the game turns into ass, after the housing implementation and prioritization? Thought of that? That's why I am against housing.

Game is not broken, stop fixing it.
    Or if your game is good and you spend resources on Dragonriding...
    Or if your game is good and you spend resources on Talents...
    Or if your game is good and you spend resources on Proffessions...

Typical WoW luddites.

Or if your game is good and you spend resources on Dragonriding...
    Or if your game is good and you spend resources on Talents...
    Or if your game is good and you spend resources on Proffessions...

Typical WoW luddites.
    Dingdingding. LOL

If they're going to overhaul the talents and professions, they could implement player housing. The people asking for talents to come back were probably less than those asking for player housing, yet here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Serpent View Post
    I think player housing, transmog/glamors, etc is something that any MMO-type game should focus heavily on. Look at how much time, money, and effort goes into XIV's transmog and housing (not just by/to Square-Enix, but hobbyist websites that host resources and image albums, and so on) to see exactly why it's the sort of thing that keeps people invested.
    WoW has been massively successful without it so to say they should focus heavily on it is misguided by personal wants.

WoW is fine without it and does not in any way need it. Go play those other games if you want housing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    Dingdingding. LOL

If they're going to overhaul the talents and professions, they could implement player housing. The people asking for talents to come back were probably less than those asking for player housing, yet here we are.
    Overhauling those two things doesn't takea anywhere near the resources that housing would, so no that does not prove housing could be done.

Also it is very presumptuous to declare that more people are calling for hosuing over professions and talents since tons of people have been complaining about both for years.

- - - Updated - - -

The game that everybody loves is already here.

Giving it housing that was proven to work elsewhere won't "ruin" it, just like Dragonflying did not.
    The game has also proven it does not need housing to be massivel successful. That goes both ways. It being in other gajmes does nto mean WoW needs it or should ahve it either.