Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    “We’ll be able to get the data whether they want to give it or not,” DeSantis said. “In Florida, it is illegal to mislead and misrepresent, especially when you are talking about the efficacy of a drug.”

Direct quote.

Fucking looooooool.
    Isn't their states surgeon general an antivaxxer?

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...ds/8259063001/

Oh wait, yeah, he is. He's hanging out with antivaxers who think vaccines cause autism, not to debunk their stupid shit on their podcast but to have a grand old time with a lady that's hard to differentiate from that other doctor who claimed that infertility was caused by fucking a literal demon.

Florida just doing everything it can to live up to the negative stereotypes, it seems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Since China has reduced testing (and generally are taking a more relaxed view - allowing people to isolate at home) it may seem as if cases are declining.

However, there are reports that many companies have problems finding enough employees that are healthy enough to work and the emergency hotline is getting swamped - https://edition.cnn.com/2022/12/12/c...mic/index.html

Hopefully, the claims about increased vaccination rates among the elderly are true.
    COVID cases in China are exploding. The "relaxation" appears to have been done because zero-COVID was failing (and better a change of course than that the regime be seen to fail).

Between this and the World Cup (lots of opportunity for variants and spread) , there is a real possibility (but obviously no certainty) that the world could be in for a disastrous first quarter.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    COVID cases in China are exploding. The "relaxation" appears to have been done because zero-COVID was failing (and better a change of course than that the regime be seen to fail).

Between this and the World Cup (lots of opportunity for variants and spread) , there is a real possibility (but obviously no certainty) that the world could be in for a disastrous first quarter.
    I don't see that we will get worse variants or others disasters from this - so far the virus has become more transmissible, but not deadlier (by moving the infection higher up) - and most of the rest of the world already has some immunity (through vaccinations and prior infections).

However, a million or so might die in China.

I also noticed that China hasn't reported case-number since my post about a week ago.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't see that we will get worse variants or others disasters from this - so far the virus has become more transmissible, but not deadlier (by moving the infection higher up) - and most of the rest of the world already has some immunity (through vaccinations and prior infections).

However, a million or so might die in China.

I also noticed that China hasn't reported case-number since my post about a week ago.
    No virologist worth their pay would agree with you but hey, just keep hoping, not that we have history to fall back on or that there is a reason why flu numbers are tracked despite it being milder than covid.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    No virologist worth their pay would agree with you but hey, just keep hoping, not that we have history to fall back on or that there is a reason why flu numbers are tracked despite it being milder than covid.
    Except that it's just facts and/or they do agree.

• So far becoming more transmissible, but not deadlier and moving up? https://www.who.int/director-general...-december-2022
      500 sublineages of Omicron ... They are all highly transmissible; they replicate in the upper respiratory tract and tend to cause less severe disease than previous variants of concern;
    • Most of the world having some immunity through vaccinations and prior infections? 68.7% have been vaccinated https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations It's harder to estimate the number of actual cases, but it's likely even higher based on seroprevalence studies.
    • A million might die in China? Depends on scenario, perhaps 1-1.5 million or just a few hundred thousands, https://www.economist.com/china/2022...uld-be-massive
    • China not reporting case numbers since about a week ago? They have now back-filled some days at https://ourworldindata.org/covid-cases but there's a gap for a number of days with no new reported cases, whereas China previously reported cases every day (in contrast to most countries).

Yes, Flu is still dangerous (primarily for the elderly) and RS-viruses are also dangerous for children and they are now spreading in many countries after opening up - and many virologists are hesitant to say that a new variant isn't more dangerous ("more studies needed", "preliminary data", "be cautious").

15+ Year Old Account
    Except that it's just facts and/or they do agree.

Yes, Flu is still dangerous (primarily for the elderly) and RS-viruses are also dangerous for children and they are now spreading in many countries after opening up - and many virologists are hesitant to say that a new variant isn't more dangerous ("more studies needed", "preliminary data", "be cautious").
    so they don't agree, thanks for confirming
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

so they don't agree,
    They do agree that the new variants aren't more deadly - as shown, but they do it hesitantly; see also the statements about new covid-variants in https://www.who.int/publications/m/i...-december-2022

And that statement applies to corona-viruses, flu, RS-virus, mpox, etc.

Had a strange flu-like bug earlier this week. Made me feel dizzy and muffled head thing. But that was it. After a few days...nothing. Although I had a few watery bright clear orangey colored drops coming from nose. Not mucus-like. Odd.

15+ Year Old Account
    They do agree that the new variants aren't more deadly - as shown, but they do it hesitantly; see also the statements about new covid-variants in https://www.who.int/publications/m/i...-december-2022

And that statement applies to corona-viruses, flu, RS-virus, mpox, etc.
    You had to move the goalpost and still didn't get it right, well done. So they aren't even in agreement that the new variants aren't more deadly but you still think that future variants can't be more harmful.

Herald of the Titans PickleballAce's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Isn't their states surgeon general an antivaxxer?

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...ds/8259063001/

Oh wait, yeah, he is. He's hanging out with antivaxers who think vaccines cause autism, not to debunk their stupid shit on their podcast but to have a grand old time with a lady that's hard to differentiate from that other doctor who claimed that infertility was caused by fucking a literal demon.

Florida just doing everything it can to live up to the negative stereotypes, it seems.
    Sounds about Florida. What an irredeemable shithole.

You had to move the goalpost and still didn't get it right, well done. So they aren't even in agreement that the new variants aren't more deadly but you still think that future variants can't be more harmful.
    No, they are in agreement with my statements, even though they don't advertise it as much.

You have provided zero evidence for your statements.

But we will see in a few months, and I'm fairly confident that outside of China there will not be any major disasters in terms of deaths from this - and as long as China actually have recently vaccinated and built ICU-beds as they claim even the problems in China aren't that large (but the latter seems unlikely).

15+ Year Old Account
    No, they are in agreement with my statements, even though they don't advertise it as much.

You have provided zero evidence for your statements.

But we will see in a few months, and I'm fairly confident that outside of China there will not be any major disasters in terms of deaths from this - and as long as China actually have recently vaccinated and built ICU-beds as they claim even the problems in China aren't that large (but the latter seems unlikely).
    Zero evidence for the possibility that the virus could become more deadly again? Well, the evidence is that there is the genetic potential for it to become more deadly, done.

you're welcome

Zero evidence for the possibility that the virus could become more deadly again? Well, the evidence is that there is the genetic potential for it to become more deadly, done.
    Ah, yes - the oft repeated "the next variant will be the deadly one", we need to do something unspecific to stop that.

We remember when you also said about BQ.1 and BQ.1.1 in October (they are covered by the latest WHO-reports).
    And prior vaccinations and vaccinations still protect against the variants (not perfectly, but still sufficient and especially against serious infection and death), despite what you claimed in June.
    And in February you thought that Denmark was having a large number of deaths due to opening up - they didn't.

The significant thing that has happened during this time is that more countries have opened up, including China and many more have been vaccinated. Some have died, but a lot lower numbers - 600k have officially been confirmed as dead, compared to 6M before that; and the estimated actual deaths increased by about 1.2M to 20.8M; https://www.economist.com/graphic-de...aths-estimates (the seasonal flu kills about half a million every year globally).

15+ Year Old Account
    Ah, yes - the oft repeated "the next variant will be the deadly one", we need to do something unspecific to stop that.

We remember when you also said about BQ.1 and BQ.1.1 in October (they are covered by the latest WHO-reports).
    And prior vaccinations and vaccinations still protect against the variants (not perfectly, but still sufficient and especially against serious infection and death), despite what you claimed in June.
    And in February you thought that Denmark was having a large number of deaths due to opening up - they didn't.

The significant thing that has happened during this time is that more countries have opened up, including China and many more have been vaccinated. Some have died, but a lot lower numbers - 600k have officially been confirmed as dead, compared to 6M before that; and the estimated actual deaths increased by about 1.2M to 20.8M; https://www.economist.com/graphic-de...aths-estimates (the seasonal flu kills about half a million every year globally).
    In a game of russian roulette you'd be telling everyone that it is safe to play because you haven't died yet.

I am saying that we keep on gambling and with every win, you tell me that it's safer to play than ever before. That is until it isn't, and then, then what, what are you going to do? Agree that we should've taken a virus where we don't know what the long-term effects might look like a bit more seriously instead of letting it run wild? Say that we should've implemented health standards that not only tackle covid but other respiratory viruses in our daily lives? Mourn the dead but ultimately shrug because ah well that's life?

No new Covid deaths reported by the CCP. However, crematoriums and funeral homes in China are working round the clock.

In a game of russian roulette you'd be telling everyone that it is safe to play because you haven't died yet.
    It isn't Russian roulette. You really should learn how evolution works.

And the only reasonable option is to try to reduce the risk by vaccination and other sensible precautions. While you have repeating "the next variant will be the deadly one" even China has realized that closing down forever isn't a viable option - and that was the only way to completely avoid it for the previous variant (unclear if it would have worked on the new variants), and trying to track every contact everyone has for the next decades is simply unfeasibly.

Currently millions children have globally missed their normal vaccinations, increasing their risk for diphtheria, measles, and cervical cancer, and tens of millions have missed months (and for many millions) years of school due to lockdowns. That is the cost of over-focusing on covid - while still not doing it right.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    No new Covid deaths reported by the CCP. However, crematoriums and funeral homes in China are working round the clock.
    Not unexpected, lots of people in China were reporting that businesses (and government agencies) were closed due to lack of staff - due to illness a week or so ago.

And the only reasonable option is to try to reduce the risk by vaccination and other sensible precautions. While you have repeating "the next variant will be the deadly one" even China has realized that closing down forever isn't a viable option - and that was the only way to completely avoid it for the previous variant (unclear if it would have worked on the new variants), and trying to track every contact everyone has for the next decades is simply unfeasibly.

Currently millions children have globally missed their normal vaccinations, increasing their risk for diphtheria, measles, and cervical cancer, and tens of millions have missed months (and for many millions) years of school due to lockdowns. That is the cost of over-focusing on covid - while still not doing it right.

- - - Updated - - -

Not unexpected, lots of people in China were reporting that businesses (and government agencies) were closed due to lack of staff - due to illness a week or so ago.
    i mean the current variant is pretty deadly.

think of the children!!!!! i mean those kids are gonna get covid 40 odd times before they turn 18. good luck with the outcome of that lil fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    Only among the unvaccinated elderly.

think of the children!!!!! i mean those kids are gonna get covid 40 odd times before they turn 18. good luck with the outcome of that lil fellas.
    If you had small children or had been one, you would know that diseases are quite common when growing up, and currently many countries face RSV outbreaks due to lifting of lockdowns.

Lots of sick children with RSV in the Bay Area right now. We are taking care of our neighbor's daughter. Her brother is really sick, and her parents don't want to risk her getting it. She is playing jacks with my wife right now.

15+ Year Old Account
    That right there is probably the most stupid thing to say. Seriously, this is on the level of flat earthers and the sun is responsible for climate change repeaters.

And the only reasonable option is to try to reduce the risk by vaccination and other sensible precautions.
    Yeh, we're doing neither, brilliant us. On the other hand, we're not really doing anything against all the other things that slowly kill us so at least we're consistent in doing exactly what is not needed.

While you have repeating "the next variant will be the deadly one"
    I said it could, because news flash, it could.

Ok, sorry for saying that sentence about evolution was the most stupid thing you wrote, this is it, at least I hope you can't get any more stupid with your takes. Children missed more hours of school due to being ill than due to lockdowns, children miss all kinds of stuff thanks to repeated infections because the world said, as if it wasn't clear with how much we don't against climate change, we really don't give a flying fuck about children and teachers, get fucked.