Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    How do you herb without landing?

(There's a weed joke in there somewhere.)

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    You have to land, which eliminates all your forward momentum. Then you need to launch back into the air, costing vigor, and spend more vigor to get to a height where you can get enough momentum for thrill of the skies to regen your vigor. Moreover, the nature of dragon flight makes it less precise when close by, so you often don't land where you want to and aggro mobs. All of this is completely surmountable, you can still do it, it's just more annoying than normal flight.
    If you abuse the speed being «frozen» when you ascend you can virtually clinb as far as you want, with the talent tree filled up you almost regen an entire vigor in the time the «climb up» animation plays. If you point your dragon straight up while using the ascend ability you go upwards EXTREMELY fast and can do it at least 10 times before you run out. When you do you just angle your drake slightly down again before the animation is done and you’ve regenerated 1-2 vigor and can keep going.

I personally tested for fun, went from sea level at the Green Dragonflight area ALL the way to Apex Peak, the highest mountain in Thaldraszus which makes Thorim’s little tower look like a pebble in comparison, without ever having to slow down, land, turn around etc. The only thing old flying has is its convenience, unfortunately it also makes it impossible to create any cool challenges for dragonriding unless you make «No-fly» zones which would be pretty shit to accidentally fly into all the time for old schoolers.

How do you herb without landing?

(There's a weed joke in there somewhere.)
    Sorry, I was speaking about the need to get to Thorim from anywhere. "nowhere to land and rest on the way up" is not a problem, because you never need to land and rest.

Re: gathering, it's very simple. It takes <10 seconds to regen the two vigor it takes to go from being on the ground to sustained flight (and only takes two if you're going uphill). Which means you're net vigor positive unless you're gathering a node more often than every 7-8 seconds, and even if you get a stretch where you have a bunch of nodes together, your bank of six vigor means that you can handle denser groupings, to begin with denser groupings don't require you spend the second vigor, because one is enough to hop over to another nearby node.

Normal flight is "less annoying" in the sense that it's literally brainless, and allows you to completely ignore any and all danger, the entire environment, etc. But that's sort of the whole problem with it. Giving all tank specs a permanent 90% damage reduction would also make tanking "less annoying" in the sense that you no longer have to pay attention to defensives or many most mechanics, but neither one is particularly smart from an actual game design point of view.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both definitely need to be allowed. I mean old flying will still be a -ton- slower than Dragonflight, so as long as they don't boost old flying speed then there is a reason to use both. Some people just like to afk hover in the air.

It takes exactly ten seconds for 2 vigor if you have thrill the entire time, and you need to spend a couple vigor to get sufficiently high in the air to start moving quickly enough to get thrill depending on the terrain, so that really isn't true unless you have perfect execution.

Gathering has historically been a super chill activity, something you dedicate a quarter of your brain to doing while watching YouTube or whatever on the second monitor, and that isn't the case with dragon flying where you really do need to pay attention, even glancing at the minimap to find the next node can run your ass into a tree. Again, not a huge problem that I'm raging over-- but gathering is is definitely a bummer in DF.

I'd like to see that talent choice make gathering a node instantly regen two vigor. Also passive vigor regen while grounded could be much, much faster-- like 5 seconds per vigor. That would help a ton.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2022-12-22 at 01:54 AM.

I don't think they'll add it to existing mounts pre DF, at least not on a grand scale.
    The problem with that tho would be how they're going to design the worlds moving forward.

Do they design them for dragonriding or the old mounts?

Quote Originally Posted by Ginnung View Post
    Do they design them for dragonriding or the old mounts?
    Beyond zones being much larger to accommodate faster movement and the occasional floating buff that gives a boost upwards, what is the difference between old flying-enabled zones and DF ones? Seems pretty much the same to me.

Beyond zones being much larger to accommodate faster movement and the occasional floating buff that gives a boost upwards, what is the difference between old flying-enabled zones and DF ones? Seems pretty much the same to me.
    But that is it tho, with dragonriding you'd have to design things to be much bigger.
    Ofc it significantly influenced their world design in DF.

Then if you add a new flying mount that doesn't have it people will complain, if you do add it then people will complain about how old mounts don't have it but this new airplane mount does.
    GW2 built mounts from the ground up with the mechanics in mind, WoW doesn't really have that luxury.

At least to do it properly and in a way that doesn't feel incredibly lazy and clunky, they would for sure have to change how they design things and unless they expand dragonriding to all flying mounts which I really don't see happening one is going to be left behind in their priorities when designing over the other.

Simple, you make all the new zones huge. If people want to use their old mounts that's their call, no problemo. It'll take longer to get to their destination, but they'll have the experience they enjoy.

New content should be dragonriding only. Old flying should be legacy content and old mounts retrofitting for new flying.

People who just want to AFK in the air should be ignored. Give them fly whistles if they want to AFK.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Really? Dragonriding lets you fly straight up that high? The height difference between the two is absolutely massive. I thought you didn't regen any vigor until you landed/dismounted.
    have.... oh you havent played dragonflight, this is the only possible excuse at this point right?
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    I won't call dragon riding an improvement until it stops making me leave a trail of vomit. In fact, it's a quick way to get me to actually quit playing WoW. And I've tried everything I can think of. Interface changes. Contacting blizzard directly. Many other things. Still gives me horrible motion sickness if I go too fast or turn too quickly.

So no thanks. I'll stick with the old flying once it comes out. Until then, I'm stuck getting my partner to take me anywhere a ground mount or FP won't.
    i hear you. i got terrible motion sickness from it too. i cant even do the races.

It takes exactly ten seconds for 2 vigor if you have thrill the entire time, and you need to spend a couple vigor to get sufficiently high in the air to start moving quickly enough to get thrill depending on the terrain, so that really isn't true unless you have perfect execution.
    "Perfect execution", lmao. You hit Skyward ascent twice and are already at Thrill speed by just angling even slightly down. You can nearly reach Thrill speed with your initial ascent and if you are even going slightly down-slope, you can reach thrill off that one ascent. It doesn't take exactly ten seconds, because every ~other time you pick an herb you get a 10% increase in vigor regen for 10 seconds, and anytime you are on the ground (i.e. every time you land to pick an herb) you continue to regen vigor.

Gather is still a super chill activity. The fact that you don't realize the problem with your argument being "I have to sometimes glance away from watching netflix to make sure I don't hit a tree now", and that you're advocating for the ability to farm materials while not even looking at or playing the game beyond occasionally clicking once.

If you don't want to gather, why are you gathering to begin with? Sit in Valdrakken and play the AH: wowee, you can watch youtube all the time without care and dedicate 1/32nd of your brain instead of 1/16th while getting materials.

Let's not actively ask for an actually interesting mechanic to be rendered not existent by changes like "lol just make vigor infinite". It's already stupidly easy to maintain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Dragonriding sucks for getting around on alts who haven't collected a decent amount of glyphs.
    Just uh you know, use the account wide unlock, and just place the glyph points in the tree on your alts? Some people, I swear.
    I was a Death's Demise.
    Those were the good old days.

10+ Year Old Account
    i truly do not believe this bullshit excuse for laziness. gtfo here
    Classes/Specs: Retribution Paladin, Outlaw Rogue, Frost Mage, Destruction Warlock.

Vanilla veteran of both factions since '04. Former high end player, now casually playing simply to keep up with the lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    bruh, vigor regens so fast you're only hitting the ground if you want to hit the ground.
    not if u need to fly up from tuskar village as just most recent example, and 3rd/4th zone specially have lot of height differences

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Musta View Post
    i hear you. i got terrible motion sickness from it too. i cant even do the races.
    that actually is way worse than what i thought
    this cause motion sickness? didn't know that, sucks to be u
    well guess that settles it, both dragon and normal fly must exist, i only wanted hover/upward mechanic, but seems the core itself can't be used that way
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    have.... oh you havent played dragonflight, this is the only possible excuse at this point right?
    I'm playing the free trial of it right now. I've seen videos of people play the beta and only saw them regenerating vigor when they landed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    I'm playing the free trial of it right now. I've seen videos of people play the beta and only saw them regenerating vigor when they landed.
    Flying at high speed gets you the Thrill of the Skies buff that regens 1 vigour every 15 seconds. When your talents are pretty much maxed this becomes every 5 seconds at which point you can fly as far and as high as you want pretty much indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Not really, even with maxed out Dragonriding I hate the Vigor part when you've running out of it and have to camp on the ground. It's a nice gimmick, but give me back usual flying in the next expansion. Additionally, all of the dragons are outright ugly.
    You need to learn to fly so that vigor never depletes. Slight angle towards the ground so that you have enough speed to keep regenerating vigor, then to gain altitude you do a deep turn up and use the dragon's ability, let him flap 2 times or so, and correct your angle again towards the ground. This way you can fly forever while also gaining altitude.

(I'm assuming you have all the dragon glyphs)

There's probably a weakaura for visualizing your speed so the concept is easier to grasp.
    Last edited by Thes; 2022-12-22 at 03:36 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Going all dragon riding, ideally is not good , you cant have a flying horse going like a dragon, can you?

I was thinking of actually splitting the flying mounts in categories and each category have their unique flystyle and mechanics.
    Magical mounts (like flying horses !) fly differently and do things differently to fly etc .
    Dragons get the dragonriding style from dragonflight
    and so on.
    That would be the ideal scenario. IT would implement the flying of dragon flight expansion in all wow with respect to the mounts's species and uniqueness.