Poll: Which tank ?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Generally speaking, avoid the meta pick like the plague. FOTM classes attract a lot of shitters who think playing the best spec will make them better players, and they will ruin your keys while acting like nothing is ever their fault.

This applies to tanks, and it applies even more to DPS
    Last edited by ONCHEhap; 2023-01-06 at 10:00 PM.

1+ Year Old Account
    Blood DK if they know how to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me it goes like this:

Rio score
    Mains Rio Score
    Did the player do that dungeon at least 1 m+ level below
    Class/spec

Prot warrior is obviously the best atm but in terms of actual experience ive had the worst with warriors and DH's. Warriors likely because it attracts a lot of unexperienced players due to FOTM and DH because i simply dont know the spec to be honest; its the only class i never touched and they occasionally seem to flop completly out of nowhere on thrash packs.

On average ive had the best experience with BDK's, ive played one, i know how it works, just tracking runic power is mostly enough to assess whether theyre in danger. Apart from all that, recently ive been trying to push my io rating in disc spec and ive had the most fun healing a brewmaster as disc. Zero attention beside throwing a shield on a cooldown and the dude was fine in a timed +12. I really hope to see more of em in the future.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I only play tanks, but I generally play DK and protection paladin/warrior. As such if I had to chose I just always pick those 3 because I'm most familiar with how they play and can spot out pretty quickly what they need, what their strengths are and if they're actually good or not.

I've played the other three tanks but I don't enjoy the playstyle at all. Druid is fucking boring as hell and DH could aptly be renamed "clunk" and it would be an accurate description. Monks are fine to play, but I still don't like playing them.

Poorly played DKs will just fall over though, but they make groups a lot easier to handle because in a 'pug' environment (which is what this thread is about) they can manually control mobs by just gripping things to them. Trying to coordinate LoS pulls or bring mobs that are casting into the main pile is one of the biggest problems in group pugging, and DKs can all but fix that by themselves. If people are playing like dipshits, you can just do it yourself as a DK.

The other big issue in pugs usually is just interrupts. DKs have a plethora of stops and displacements, and a reliable snare. Another class that does this quite well is protection paladin which a lot of people sleep on. You can't rely on people to kick in pugs, and paladin can just randomly stop tons of casts that are required to be kicked, or casts that you usually let through even in an organized group because you don't physically have enough kicks to go around. There are also a million things you can BoP to prevent scores of damage, in addition to using BoS on people. That alone makes protection paladin super strong because the risk in keys generally isn't the tank dying at the moment, but everybody else. LoH, BoP, BoS and holding a WoG for people during group damage is huge.

You should still do you due diligence when making a group, but for "pug" tanking I'd lean towards prot paladin or DK. They can fix generic pug problems exclusively by themselves by bringing out of place mobs into place, or in protection paladins case, literally AoE interrupt everything and get kicks you can't rely on pugs to get. You can't go wrong with a protection warrior either because in most content they are basically sturdy as fuck and bring a group buff. Additionally if it's a raging week a druid isn't a bad pick because he will know what mobs to soothe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    I only play tanks, but I generally play DK and protection paladin/warrior. As such if I had to chose I just always pick those 3 because I'm most familiar with how they play and can spot out pretty quickly what they need, what their strengths are and if they're actually good or not.

I've played the other three tanks but I don't enjoy the playstyle at all. Druid is fucking boring as hell and DH could aptly be renamed "clunk" and it would be an accurate description. Monks are fine to play, but I still don't like playing them.

Poorly played DKs will just fall over though, but they make groups a lot easier to handle because in a 'pug' environment (which is what this thread is about) they can manually control mobs by just gripping things to them. Trying to coordinate LoS pulls or bring mobs that are casting into the main pile is one of the biggest problems in group pugging, and DKs can all but fix that by themselves. If people are playing like dipshits, you can just do it yourself as a DK.

The other big issue in pugs usually is just interrupts. DKs have a plethora of stops and displacements, and a reliable snare. Another class that does this quite well is protection paladin which a lot of people sleep on. You can't rely on people to kick in pugs, and paladin can just randomly stop tons of casts that are required to be kicked, or casts that you usually let through even in an organized group because you don't physically have enough kicks to go around. There are also a million things you can BoP to prevent scores of damage, in addition to using BoS on people. That alone makes protection paladin super strong because the risk in keys generally isn't the tank dying at the moment, but everybody else. LoH, BoP, BoS and holding a WoG for people during group damage is huge.

You should still do you due diligence when making a group, but for "pug" tanking I'd lean towards prot paladin or DK. They can fix generic pug problems exclusively by themselves by bringing out of place mobs into place, or in protection paladins case, literally AoE interrupt everything and get kicks you can't rely on pugs to get. You can't go wrong with a protection warrior either because in most content they are basically sturdy as fuck and bring a group buff. Additionally if it's a raging week a druid isn't a bad pick because he will know what mobs to soothe.
    Prot warriors can also aoe interrupt everything, and they have better mob control, they even have things like bop on a 30 sec cooldown with intervene; they're a billion times tankier. The superior pug tank is without a doubt prot warrior. You would take a 20 ilvls lower prot warrior over a prot paladin any day. It is a joke how overpowered that spec is right now.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by brynhildrprot View Post
    I'll give you guys a little tip if you're running keys below 10 Prot Paladin is an S++ tank if you're running 15s Prot Paladin is still and S+ tank and if you're running 20 voiceless Prot Paladin is still S tier.

If you're pugging readjust Prot Paladin to S
    Yeah the simple fact is, a decent prot paladin can save a weak group in so many cases but many of our tools will be used far less in a good group.

the one that has highest score/itlv combo. at keys which i do 14/15 atm it doesnt really matter.

i am very careful about warrior tanks with lowish score - most of them are fotm rerollers really bad at tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorice View Post
    For me it goes like this:

Rio score
    Mains Rio Score
    Did the player do that dungeon at least 1 m+ level below
    Class/spec
    Exactly what I use as well, it gives by far the best results in my experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a Brewmaster, I would say me.

Not super hardcore, but starting to tank 9s and 10s this week.

Last week had managed to solo multiple bosses on 5/6 keys after rest of group wiped.

It's fun when you feel unkillable, and with our buffs I'm even more excited. Shall see how things go with the higher keys!
    Dear frozen yogurt, you are the celery of desserts. Be ice cream or be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    Prot warriors can also aoe interrupt everything, and they have better mob control, they even have things like bop on a 30 sec cooldown with intervene; they're a billion times tankier. The superior pug tank is without a doubt prot warrior. You would take a 20 ilvls lower prot warrior over a prot paladin any day. It is a joke how overpowered that spec is right now.
    Tell me you don't know anything about prot paladin without telling me you dont know anything about prot paladin.

Prot Paladin is the superior tank in uncoordinated groups as it has 2.5x interrupts as any other tank in the game.

Prot Warr cannot compete on this front.
    Last edited by brynhildrprot; 2023-01-11 at 07:51 AM.

Tell me you don't know anything about prot paladin without telling me you dont know anything about prot paladin.

Prot Paladin is the superior tank in uncoordinated groups as it has 2.5x interrupts as any other tank in the game.

Prot Warr cannot compete on this front.
    except prot wars dont really die from physical hits and can cc groups with stuns and fears and can actually kite, idk man

Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    Tanks are quite often the least experienced player in the group, because it's easier to get into groups as a tank. This definitely contributes to dps frustration with the people who do tank.
    Idk where you get that from. There is far greater chance that DPS doesn't know and don't look up shit like what they should interrupt, what they should purge, what mobs they need to shiv/tranq/soothe. If you mean they are frustrated at the tank because they imagine that they died to "wtf is this pull" rather than landing a single cc or interrupt and I 100% guarantee that healers get same shit "lol wtf healer, heal" after failing shit and not even knowing they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Kehego View Post
    except prot wars dont really die from physical hits and can cc groups with stuns and fears and can actually kite, idk man
    I just wrote a 10 Paragraph post explaining why Prot Paladin is a superior pug tank then my internet bugged out and I lost the reply.

So I'll make it a little shorter.

3 different kicks. Rebuke (12 sec cd), AS (12 sec cd with 20 haste 3 sec spell lock included) Divine toll (Kick on 5 targets on a 1 min cd) and Free avengers shield every 5 seconds for 15 seconds, so 3 extra kicks after and spell locks.

AS also scales with haste and can reset its CD whenever you parry or Use blessed Hammer (15% chance). During heroism AS CD is 8 seconds on my character.

On top of that we have HoJ a stun on a 25 sec cd talented and a mass disorientate on a 1 min CD.

The best offhealing of any tank (Prot Pala>Druid>Monk). Warr and DK cant even off heal.

Combat ress (BDK, Pala,Druid). New addition in Dragonflight.

Externals in the form of Blessing of Sacrifice (1min cd 30% DR)

BoP or spellwarding (Immunity to Either physical or magical dmg on a party member)

Cleanse for Poisons and diseases (Only Monk and Paladin tanks have it).

Some minor utility in Blessing of Freedom.

So you have a tank with the best off healing in the game, 2.5x-3x as many kicks, externals, a combat ress and a cleanse. In terms of utility prot paladin is the only S tier tank.

The only thing it doesnt have is a raid buff, well it does devotion aura which makes the grp take 3% less dmg, but its not comparable to dmg buffs like Chaos Brand, Mystic touch, Mark of the Wild or Shout.

Remember we arent talking about tunning but simply tank utility and how it can carry a pug.

Prot Paladin IS and always was the best pug tank.

Prot Warr has a stun and a mass disorientate (well so does prot pala on a shorter cd even). Stormbolt is a 4 sec ST stun on a 30 second CD, HoJ is a 6 second stun on a 22-35 second CD depending on haste, blinding light is an AoE disorientate on1 min cd,intimidating shout is an aoe disorientate on a 1.5 min cd there is literally nothing prot warr provides to the grp that Prot paladin doesnt except the 20% HP shout.

For example I did a ++20 Ruby the other Day with 1 melee 2 Range comp and a healer without a kick without voice.

The kicks looked like this

54 - Me
    9 - Melee 1
    6 - Range 1
    4 - Range 2
    0 - Healer

This group would struggle with a prot warr.

I'm currently top 20 Prot Paladin, and somewhere around top 100 tank, with all keys done on Either +21 or higher and I am a Title holder from previous seasons, and have tanked on several classes (to be fair not much on warrior but I understand how it functions).
    Last edited by brynhildrprot; 2023-01-11 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    I think the idea is that you don't need the tankiness of prot in pugs that do low and mid level keys. But you absolutely can use the fact that a prot paladin can supplement for a poor or overwhelmed healer and has the most utility to save people from themselves . A well played prot paladin can keep a group of 4 people that have no idea what they are doing alive. A well played prot warrior can probably just complete the pull after those 4 die. I'd say the first offers the better experience for the group as a whole. As soon as you are going for higher lvl keys ofc tankiness becomes far more important and the tankadin starts falling behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I think the idea is that you don't need the tankiness of prot in pugs that do low and mid level keys. But you absolutely can use the fact that a prot paladin can supplement for a poor or overwhelmed healer and has the most utility to save people from themselves . A well played prot paladin can keep a group of 4 people that have no idea what they are doing alive. A well played prot warrior can probably just complete the pull after those 4 die. I'd say the first offers the better experience for the group as a whole. As soon as you are going for higher lvl keys ofc tankiness becomes far more important and the tankadin starts falling behind.
    More or less, prot paladin carries groups who dont kick and cant Use defensives hard if they are kicking and sacing.

I will say tho, Prot Paladin is way tankier than you think. Overall Prot Warr is tankier and meta for a reason, but there are still quite a few situations prot pala is better in especially on tyrannical.

Theres a lot of Tyrannical bosses where prot Warr needs healer externals to live but prot paladin doesnt.

Say Hyjra on tyrannical or 3rd boss in Temple, 2nd Boss in Ruby.

All those bosses SLAP Prot Warrior, but prot paladin is chilling on them, but generally on Fortified weeks in most pack with a few heavy magical dmg pack Prot Warr is govna be better.

Okay you see a 5 3000 RIO tanks one of each class in your queue for your weekly depleter +20. Which should you take?

All of them are tanking like +24s and will have a very easy time staying alive in a +20, you take prot paladin every time, no exception. It doesnt matter that prot warr might take a bit less dmg. The Prot Paladin assuming he is good will literally kick every important spell, and sac your squishiest dps on every aoe in the dungeon, negate a lot of mechanics with BOP, and probably throw a few offheals when he can.

A good prot paladin in a pug over a good prot warr every time. You might not even notice when a prot paladin is carrying the key unless you have a Healing meter, an interrupt meter turned on and are tracking Blessing of Sacrifice and Looking out for Stuns.
    Last edited by brynhildrprot; 2023-01-11 at 08:26 AM.

While this is true in a lot of cases and you didn't even mention how much party healing we can dish out by sacrificing some of our dmg/tankiness, prot warriors are still great in pugs just because of sheer tankiness, certainly not as great in terms of party support, but it doesn't need as much of party support either. That being said, prot pala gains power in coordinated groups, even if it's impact share overall lessens while warrior doesn't bring much more value in coordinated groups than they bring to pugs.

Quote Originally Posted by erifwodahs View Post
    While this is true in a lot of cases and you didn't even mention how much party healing we can dish out by sacrificing some of our dmg/tankiness, prot warriors are still great in pugs just because of sheer tankiness, certainly not as great in terms of party support, but it doesn't need as much of party support either. That being said, prot pala gains power in coordinated groups, even if it's impact share overall lessens while warrior doesn't bring much more value in coordinated groups than they bring to pugs.
    If you go Light of the Titans and Hand of Protector you can literally 4 dps a low key, but sadly due to AS not generating holy power anymore and having to sacrifice 3 defensive talents to achieve that or a lot of dmg. It isnt exactly viable in high keys.

Even without hand of protector Word of Glory can crit for like 180k on a dps tho, saving their life.

I wish they would move Hand of Protector 1 row up I would def sacrifice 1 talent point to be able to throw out 200k uncritted wogs and 400k critted wogs on dps.

You know whats the funniest the interrupt meter doesnt even show how much we kick because we have "invisible kicks". I always throw my avengers shield on casters spell locking them even if they arent casting,preventing them from casting and allowing ppl to recover their kick cd before it castd agaib. And perma spell locking mobs for 20 seconds with DT.

Prot Pala kicks are simply broken 2.5x-3x of any other tank, class even (except rogue).
    Last edited by brynhildrprot; 2023-01-11 at 08:51 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    the one that does manageable pulls, doesnt go leeroy jenkins and respects the other 4 members in the group and knows when to use their CD's.

Same goes for DPS'ers, there is a reason why a tank usually dont pull more so dont help them, im not comfortable tanking 10+ mobs when i have all my cooldowns on CD...

10+ Year Old Account
    My god such a simple question and people have to turn it into some debate around here

Prot warrior for me!
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru