Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

23% Sales tax coming in the US? Death of the IRS??

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-.../text?r=96&s=1

Not sure I want to pay 23% on everything I buy.

Nope, House Republicans can try to do the absolute dumbest shit imaginable. Doesn't mean any of it will happen.

They just really want to tax working people and find a way to give the uber-wealthy a massive tax cut without having to pass another historically unpopular tax cut like they did in 2017.

15+ Year Old Account
    House Republicans are stupid. They think that just because they hold office, they can do whatever they want. None of them ever watched schoolhouse rock it seems. That or it's all performance for their base.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post

Don't worry, it isn't going to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Don't worry, it isn't going to happen.
    Indeed. This is just the GOP reminding everyone in the country that, while they claimed inflation was bad, their solution is to raise all prices on all items 23%.

Sales taxes are regressive taxes. The GOP is proving they hate the working class. Every word @tehdang says from now on should be met with this bill until he addresses it, even if he's talking about kittens.

We all know that 23% wouldn't even come close to covering the total cost of everything. That thing would end up having to hit 60% pretty quick I am betting.

The rich would barely be touched, corporations would barely be touched, the middle class and poor would be getting pure hammered and the drop in revenue would be extreme. Especially when your standard deduction won't really matter either at that point.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    We all know that 23% wouldn't even come close to covering the total cost of everything. That thing would end up having to hit 60% pretty quick I am betting.

The rich would barely be touched, corporations would barely be touched, the middle class and poor would be getting pure hammered and the drop in revenue would be extreme. Especially when your standard deduction won't really matter either at that point.
    Pretty much means that corporations would never have taxes levied on them.

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Pretty much means that corporations would never have taxes levied on them.
    Yep, we would be the new Ireland. The corporations would all incorporate here without paying anything toward the nation, the rich would make out like bandits because while they would make thousands of times more than their workers, their taxes wouldn't be much higher and realistically could actually be lower in gross numbers when they buy stuff that lasts more while the poor ones are stuck buying and rebuying stuff that they can afford.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account

I don't buy very much. However the IRS takes around $22,000 a year from my wages.

If this changed happened, they would only be getting a very small fraction from me.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

The GOP wants to cut everything including the military...now of they included their own pay and benefits...

10+ Year Old Account
    This bill would be WILDLY unpopular and ultimately suicide for the Republicans if it passed. Obviously it will never pass its patently regressive but I would love to see the political fallout if it did. What possible response could they have?

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    The GOP wants to cut everything including the military...now of they included their own pay and benefits...
    They're only trying to cut budget to the military because most of them are wanna-be Russian cronies, who want to make an authoritarian murderous dictator happy, or at the very least "stick it to the Libs" who unanimously agree that the Russian government/military fucking sucks balls, and that the war against Ukraine is disgusting as hell.

We have 25% sales tax where I live, doesn't bother me..

Quote Originally Posted by diller View Post
    Different economic structure.

- - - Updated - - -

And the hypocrisy keeps on coming; Republicans sound alarm on Social Security insolvency: Taxpayers 'clearly have to worry about' retirement

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Yep, we would be the new Ireland. The corporations would all incorporate here without paying anything toward the nation, the rich would make out like bandits because while they would make thousands of times more than their workers, their taxes wouldn't be much higher and realistically could actually be lower in gross numbers when they buy stuff that lasts more while the poor ones are stuck buying and rebuying stuff that they can afford.
    Yes, but...job CReATORS!!11!!!222!111!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Different economic structure.

- - - Updated - - -

And the hypocrisy keeps on coming; Republicans sound alarm on Social Security insolvency: Taxpayers 'clearly have to worry about' retirement
    Yep, yet I remember back in 2012 that back then the 6 Walton heirs received 2.2 billion per year in dividends while paying zero towards social security and a lower tax rate than their worker’s overall.

Betting they get even more now. Over a decade that is 22 billion without zero going towards social security and I doubt they want to address that which would go a long way towards their solvency issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    People on the lower end of the economic ladder usually gets more out of their taxes in a country such as Denmark than people in similar situations in the US do.

A big hike on sales tax without things like universal single payer healthcare and well functioning public transportation etc, is a sketchy endeavour at best.
    Last edited by zealo; 2023-01-12 at 05:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As incompetent and disorganized the IRS is, this would obviously be a bad move.

I am still waiting on my 2021 refund. I expect a ton of interest.

And what kind of sales tax credits do you get?

Canadians pay sales taxes but lower income people get a credit. It’s currently $467 per year for GST. More if you have dependents. Each province also has its own credits.

And do you think the GOP would introduce a similar credit for Americans? And who would administer it? Or collect it?

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Isnt this just something from the freedom caucus that they want to show up to their voters, wont have any real chance of getting though.